Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Son of World Champion in Motorbikes and F1 dies in Formula 2 crash...

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Kenny 2x4 Posted: 16:27 Jul22 2009 Post ID: 2683778
Kenny 2x4
Post Likes: 0
+
Henry Surtees, son of John Surtees who is the only man in motorsport history to have won World Championships on both 2 wheels and 4 wheels died on Sunday after his crash at Brands Hatch.

Henry was following in his father's footsteps of motorsport.

More info can be found from the following websites:
itv-f1 website

Formula 2 Official Website

There was nothing Henry could do, another incident from another driver meant a wheel came flying off and hit his head, knocking him out and he rocketted off straight into some tyre barriers.

The last death I can remember in motorsport was Ayrton Senna's at the 1994 San Marino GP also in bizarre circumstances.

Condolescences to his friends and family.
Status = Part Time.

[b][color=red][size=12]I am the car expert! So I've been told. lol[/b]
Check it out
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Lurch5000 Posted: 18:08 Jul31 2009 Post ID: 2693568
Lurch5000
+
Felipe Massa is in critical condition after a spring from a rival car penetrated the visor on his helmet and struck him above the eye, he then collided into a wall of tires. Originally it was thought that he had experienced steering failure, but after inspections of the replay Massa made no attempt to keep the car on thr track, which meant he was nocked out before he made contact with the wall.

The last I heard he was comatose but im not sure what the latest is regarding his health.

Bout The Time I Set This Reccord Straight, All The Needle Nose Punchin' Is Makin Me Irate Sick Of My B!tch!n' Fallin' On Deaf Ears, Where You Gonna Be In The Next 5 Years?
Bronco11 Posted: 22:10 Jul31 2009 Post ID: 2693791
Bronco11
+
It's always sad when someone dies, our thoughts are with his family during this extremely difficult time.

Just curious? When you say motorsport are you referring to just in Formula 1/Europe? I remember quite a few NASCAR deaths since then.... Just curious though
Kenny 2x4 Posted: 11:00 Aug01 2009 Post ID: 2694125
Kenny 2x4
+
Well considering I mention 2 wheels and 4 wheels meaning motorbikes so therefore not restricted to the one region.
And wondered when someone was going to respond!
Lurch you're a little bit behind the times lol He's out of the artificial coma after surgery for his fractured skull as it was a suspension component from Barrichello's car that fell of, bounced on the track and hit Massa in the head.
Massa, slightly concussed only has just enough consciousness to hit the brakes, but his right foot is still on the throttle so he hits the tyre wall at around 150mph or something.
Full details of the crash are in this video

His replacement for the European GP is Michael Schumacher. We don't know if it's for the rest of the season however.

Back to the original incident though...Both these accidents have once again brought up the issue of open cockpit racing and there isn't really much else to do to make it safer for drivers other than to make the suspension parts more and more robust if you ask me.
Status = Part Time.

Check it out
Bronco11 Posted: 11:13 Aug01 2009 Post ID: 2694129
Bronco11
+
When you get into the race car you are always aware of the possibility that something bad could happen, as with any other sport... Earlier this century NASCAR had a couple deaths which brought up some safety issues, and a lot of things were changed. NASCAR has added restrictor plates to make certain tracks safer, not sure how that works because I'm not the racing expert here... If you say the last death was 1994, then it seems to me as if deaths in open-wheel racing are extremely rare.
Kenny 2x4 Posted: 16:37 Aug01 2009 Post ID: 2694552
Kenny 2x4
+
In the past 2 decades they are.
Before that, however, when F1 was started, deaths were widely accepted as part of the sport. In fact, at the time racing was considered "safe" despite the increasing frequency of deaths.
Status = Part Time.

Check it out
Lurch5000 Posted: 16:21 Aug05 2009 Post ID: 2698464
Lurch5000
+
On 01-Aug-2009 Kenny 2x4 said:Well considering I mention 2 wheels and 4 wheels meaning motorbikes so therefore not restricted to the one region.
And wondered when someone was going to respond!
Lurch you're a little bit behind the times lol He's out of the artificial coma after surgery for his fractured skull as it was a suspension component from Barrichello's car that fell of, bounced on the track and hit Massa in the head.
Massa, slightly concussed only has just enough consciousness to hit the brakes, but his right foot is still on the throttle so he hits the tyre wall at around 150mph or something.
Full details of the crash are in this video

His replacement for the European GP is Michael Schumacher. We don't know if it's for the rest of the season however.

Back to the original incident though...Both these accidents have once again brought up the issue of open cockpit racing and there isn't really much else to do to make it safer for drivers other than to make the suspension parts more and more robust if you ask me.
yeah I realised like the next day, sorry, my bad

Bout The Time I Set This Reccord Straight, All The Needle Nose Punchin' Is Makin Me Irate Sick Of My B!tch!n' Fallin' On Deaf Ears, Where You Gonna Be In The Next 5 Years?
Kenny 2x4 Posted: 08:37 Aug07 2009 Post ID: 2699872
Kenny 2x4
+
lol It's fine.
There are still talks about how to improve the safety and quite frankly...there isn't much the FIA can do really.
Status = Part Time.

Check it out
Lurch5000 Posted: 15:50 Aug07 2009 Post ID: 2700186
Lurch5000
+
The helmets are carbon fibre now right? Was that meant to be what stopped the accident from being any worse

Kenny 2x4 Posted: 12:01 Aug15 2009 Post ID: 2710299
Kenny 2x4
+
Indeed they are, but there are various polyfibres that are also used, some aluminium, titanium and kevlar layers.
Status = Part Time.

Check it out
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close