Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Are Ghosts Real?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 9
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 7 | 8 | Last     Previous | Next
know-your-role Posted: 13:53 Feb20 2011 Post ID: 2966071
know-your-role
Post Likes: 1
+
YoSoyJu said:K-Dawg, did you answer the phone? Was there someone on the other end? Did you *69 (or equivalent)? Also, how do you know that these so-called spirits can not hurt you?

KYR, I've heard many stories about Santa Claus, but that isn't really a reason to believe.

Believers, please tell me how these things work. Also, really check out that thread I posted last time as I think it might just change some minds.

True, but they just sound so realistic. Some of them.
E-bro: Jakethesnake14
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 17:02 Feb20 2011 Post ID: 2966105
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
So?
So, if I was to make a realistic sounding story of me and jesus teaming up to assassinate Godzilla, you would believe it because it sounds realistic?
Now known as
YoSoyJu Posted: 22:54 Feb20 2011 Post ID: 2966177
YoSoyJu
Post Likes: 0
+
K Dawg said:This topic has no true answer, its all about what you believe in. When I said Ghost cannot hurt you, this is my belief.

Just as many sources saying ghost can haunt/hurt you, opposing sides will argue that they cant hurt you.

There is no soild eveidence that a ghost can haunt/hurt you on the internet, thus making this a topic on beliefs, and not facts.

A. This topic does have a true answer. Ghosts can not both exist and not exist.

B. But why hold a belief that is not supported by evidence? Don't you want to hold as many true beliefs as possible and reject as many untrue ones as possible? Why hold a belief that is based on conjecture, absurdity, or outright disproven claims?

C. You are correct. There is no evidence that a ghost can haunt/hurt you on the internet. Nor is there any evidence they exist at all. None anywhere.
know-your-role Posted: 05:45 Feb21 2011 Post ID: 2966225
know-your-role
+
CRAZY CHEATS said:So?
So, if I was to make a realistic sounding story of me and jesus teaming up to assassinate Godzilla, you would believe it because it sounds realistic?

Nope. I'm not stupid mate. It depends on the story you're telling, if it sounds as if it's realistic, I'll most probably believe it, but if a daft story like what you said is told then I wouldn't believe it. It just depends on the situation really.
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 06:21 Feb21 2011 Post ID: 2966233
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
know-your-role said:

Nope. I'm not stupid mate. It depends on the story you're telling, if it sounds as if it's realistic, I'll most probably believe it, but if a daft story like what you said is told then I wouldn't believe it. It just depends on the situation really.

Well you're talking about believing in things that not only break multiple laws of reality, but contradict their own state of matter/being
That doesn't sound very believable to me.

« Last edited by CRAZY CHEATS on Feb 21st 2011 »
Now known as
sphynxx Posted: 06:22 Feb21 2011 Post ID: 2966235
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
know-your-role said:

Well, let me use Eoins base idea..

It's the year 750 B.C. You're a peasant working on a regional Lords lands. You work 15 hours a day, get little sleep, you keep next to nothing of the harvests for yourself and that which you do keep, gets heavily taxed by the Lord your lands belong to.

You hear of a story from far away. About a man claiming to prophesize the coming of a man born of a virgin, who would lead a sinless life and be the son of the great creator of life.

Would you believe such a story? Keeping in my you had never heard of Jesus Christ & (I think - I don't knwo for sure) living in a time in which Christianity wasn't a 'mainstream' religion & was overshadowed by what we call paganism.

~note - for all those who know all about the dates & what have you of christianity - don't jump down my throat for getting anythign grossly wrong. I tried to come up with a reasonable approximate of when the birth of Jesus was prophesised. As noted here (Matt. 1: 23; Isa. 9: 6) - whatever the hell that is

« Last edited by sphynxx on Feb 21st 2011 »

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
know-your-role Posted: 11:33 Feb22 2011 Post ID: 2966721
know-your-role
+
You have raised a good point there, but my mind could be so easily influenced over these things. Not saying I'd fall for any old rubbish though. I guess I'd need proof so you can back your argument up. Besides there isn't just one story about ghosts there's plenty more. The story you've just told is coming from you, which only makes one person. If there were loads then I don't know. There always has been something about ghosts with me though, I believe in them strongly, but have no idea why.
Keyblade21 Posted: 15:44 Mar20 2011 Post ID: 2977463
Keyblade21
Post Likes: 323
+
Well personally i believe in ghosts, i watch ghost adventures and they document everything they see and experience, they use EMF detectors and they always have them out documenting as well as taunting ghosts and sometimes they catch glowing balls of energy, and they debug it as an insect or as a dust particle. as well they set up movement detectors in hallways and one time they were at this hospital in a room next to the hallway filming themselves and you could see where the motion detectors were and no one was there.

But heck make up your own belief about it.

Avy & Sig credits go to Hurricane0

Want to join in the chat? Head over to General Chat
nightmare2 Posted: 08:36 Mar21 2011 Post ID: 2977815
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
Post Likes: 41
+
Keyblade21 said:Well personally i believe in ghosts, i watch ghost adventures and they document everything they see and experience, they use EMF detectors and they always have them out documenting as well as taunting ghosts and sometimes they catch glowing balls of energy, and they debug it as an insect or as a dust particle. as well they set up movement detectors in hallways and one time they were at this hospital in a room next to the hallway filming themselves and you could see where the motion detectors were and no one was there.

But heck make up your own belief about it.

Not having ever watched a Ghost TV show I am unsure if your talking about one. But anything seen on TV isn't eaxactly true. They can easily fake all of that stuff. Why? For popularity. You can't really believe anything they show you on TV because odds are that it is heavily editted. They add things in, make the so called ghost noise in studios and all that. Its obvious they can do this, ever heard of movie magic? You can never be so sure, of course you can just believe it if you would like too but you should always know it could all be faked.

Until some valid proof comes through stating with facts and evidence that ghosts are/aren't real, opinion is all there is. Debatable opinion.
Sir Adam of Peridot Nightmares

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
Will d (mr ramdom) Posted: 13:28 Mar25 2011 Post ID: 2980274
Will d (mr ramdom)
*Insert witty title here*
Post Likes: 4
+
Well, this is something that can't be proven. As there is no soild evidence to state that ghosts exsist, yet there is no soild evidence that suggests they couldn't possibly exsist. There are videos and people claiming to see a ghost, but these vidoes could be edited (and are most the time for popularity) and people can easily lie.

No soild evidence could ever be made to prove, or disprove, the exsistance of anything supernatural. The laws of Physics do, but anything supernatural could, and do, bend around those. Theres no true nor false answer, just opinions and beliefs.

Personally, I don't belive in ghosts, nor anything supernatural.

^Sig by SG^

My Team. It's amazing.

Contact me at: [email protected]
YoSoyJu Posted: 13:37 Mar25 2011 Post ID: 2980278
YoSoyJu
+
Will d (mr ramdom) said:Well, this is something that can't be proven. As there is no soild evidence to state that ghosts exsist, yet there is no soild evidence that suggests they couldn't possibly exsist. There are videos and people claiming to see a ghost, but these vidoes could be edited (and are most the time for popularity) and people can easily lie.

No soild evidence could ever be made to prove, or disprove, the exsistance of anything supernatural. The laws of Physics do, but anything supernatural could, and do, bend around those. Theres no true nor false answer, just opinions and beliefs.

Personally, I don't belive in ghosts, nor anything supernatural.

This is the kind of post that gets me a little upset. "It all just comes down to beliefs, so no one is wrong and no one is right." Phewy.

The default position is disbelief until there is sufficient evidence to warrant belief. You don't need to "disprove" anything. Therefore, this is a topic that can be debated (as can every other topic about beliefs).

So, I don't believe in ghosts because there is not sufficient evidence to do so. Please show me evidence of ghosts.
Will d (mr ramdom) Posted: 13:49 Mar25 2011 Post ID: 2980289
Will d (mr ramdom)
*Insert witty title here*
Post Likes: 4
+
YoSoyJu said:This is the kind of post that gets me a little upset. "It all just comes down to beliefs, so no one is wrong and no one is right." Phewy.
Well, I didn't mean it for everything, sorry if it came off like that. But when it comes to the supernatural, it does come down to beliefs since there is no soild evidence to support either side. Such as your opinion that you don't belive in ghosts because there is no evidence, thats your belief on this subject. But another person who does belive in ghosts may not have any evidence for it, just a belief, or it may be part of their religion. Neither are right, yet neither are wrong. This could be argued about untill the day we all die, nobody would win nor lose.

But on a side note, I don't belive in ghosts for the same reason as you, not enough evidence.

^Sig by SG^

My Team. It's amazing.

Contact me at: [email protected]
YoSoyJu Posted: 14:14 Mar25 2011 Post ID: 2980302
YoSoyJu
+
I'm not trying to single you out, but this is symptomatic of the whole problem.

Beliefs are not sacred cows. My point is that a belief held without evidence is not a good belief. The default position is always disbelief. You know this from everyday experiences. If I say I have a UFO in my backyard, your initial inclination is to not believe me until I provide you with evidentiary affirmation.

That's why all beliefs are debatable; because all beliefs should be based on evidence and evidence is objective.
EpicApocalypse07 Posted: 13:25 Apr07 2011 Post ID: 2986846
EpicApocalypse07
+
YoSoyJu said:
Beliefs are not sacred cows. My point is that a belief held without evidence is not a good belief. The default position is always disbelief. You know this from everyday experiences. If I say I have a UFO in my backyard, your initial inclination is to not believe me until I provide you with evidentiary affirmation.

That's why all beliefs are debatable; because all beliefs should be based on evidence and evidence is objective.

Excuse me, but what about religion? Technically, you can't be sure whether Jesus could do all his miracles, so would you advise christians to stop being christians because ' there is no proof God exists?'. Same with every other religion. Oh, and you contradict yourself with your arguments - ghosts can't be real because there's no proof of their existance, but actually, we would not be anywhere with science (physics) because many things in science have been debatable, with no proof for 10+ years, like the existence of germs.
If people didn't believe in things, we would not be out of the Stone Age.

I'm on the fence about ghosts. On the one hand, there just exceed what is physically possible by what we know about the universe, but on the other hand, just prove they don't exist. There is as little proof that they do not exist as there is that they do exist: minimal.

« Last edited by EpicApocalypse07 on Apr 7th 2011 »
dx_hbk Posted: 14:06 Apr07 2011 Post ID: 2986854
dx_hbk
Skeptic
Post Likes: 6
+
Excuse me, but what about religion? Technically, you can't be sure whether Jesus could do all his miracles, so would you advise christians to stop being christians because ' there is no proof God exists?'

For me yes. I don't beleive in anything without proof why is that we use logic and evidence at every point of our light but when it comes to god we reley on faith. Any how thats for a diffrent topic.

Oh, and you contradict yourself with your arguments - ghosts can't be real because there's no proof of their existance, but actually, we would not be anywhere with science (physics) because many things in science have been debatable, with no proof for 10+ years, like the existence of germs.

There is no evidence that sugests that ghost eixist. And as for the second part. Sceince changes when new evidence comes in. It would be stupid to acctuly hypothsises something and beleive in it with out observing the evidence. The acient Greeks used that method with they hyptosised and beleived in it for example the concept of embreowlogy put forward by Galen and aristotle. If you have no proof or evidence to back your hypotosis up then it shouldn't be taken sereiously.

Just "beleving" in things won't get you any where unless you have evidence to back up your belif. And i beg to differ the greekcs used to beleive that the semen was formed some where bewteen ribs and backbone they blantly beleived it with out any evidence and they were wrong. Humans used to beleive that the earth is flat and ignoring the 4 strong arguments put forward. If people just beleived we would still be in the stone age hence the Gallalio Gallalie incedent.

'm on the fence about ghosts. On the one hand, there just exceed what is physically possible by what we know about the universe, but on the other hand, just prove they don't exist. There is as little proof that they do not exist as there is that they do exist: minimal.

You can't prove a negetive. A person who is aresting that ghosts exist has to provide proof of it the other perosn doesn't need to disprove it. The burden of proof lies upon the person making the claim.

Sorry about the spellings and gammer i am in hurry atm :P.

^ That guy is GOD

"Lost somewhere between immensity and eternity is our tiny planetary home." ~ Carl Sagan

super craig Posted: 14:24 Apr07 2011 Post ID: 2986859
super craig
+
EpicApocalypse07 said:
YoSoyJu said:

Excuse me, but what about religion? Technically, you can't be sure whether Jesus could do all his miracles, so would you advise christians to stop being christians because ' there is no proof God exists?'. Same with every other religion. Oh, and you contradict yourself with your arguments - ghosts can't be real because there's no proof of their existance, but actually, we would not be anywhere with science (physics) because many things in science have been debatable, with no proof for 10+ years, like the existence of germs.

I'm on the fence about ghosts. On the one hand, there just exceed what is physically possible by what we know about the universe, but on the other hand, just prove they don't exist. There is as little proof that they do not exist as there is that they do exist: minimal.

Umm, not everyone believes the bible. If you have a look at the Exsistence of God thread I'm pretty sure YoSoyJu would almost certainly go down the line that people shouldn't believe in god because there isn't any evidence. In fact I would go so far as to say he's one of the biggest advocates of that approach on the forum. Personally, I'm with YoSoyJu Smile

I'm sorry, when you say his points contradict themselves I can't see where this is. You've given the arguement that ghosts can't be real because they is no proof but, maybe its just the way you've worded it, I can't see where you've given an arguement of his that contradicts this. The germs thing is far from a contradiction, just because there may be proof in future doesn't mean that the statement that there isn't any proof is any less correct, in fact you would be strengthening that argument by saying there isn't any proof. An example if you will, you wouldn't charge someone with murder with no evidence what so ever, under the logic that there may possibely be evidence in the future. You must reach a decision with the evidence you have in front of you and not what you hope you will have.

As has been mentioned several times in this and other threads, the onus is on the one claiming it to be true to provide evidence, if I tell you that I've got a flying dog, the default position is that it isn't true and I must show you the dog to prove it, and not for you to just try and argue that I haven't.

We would still be in the stone age if all we did was believe, we would have been buggered if the first person who discovered fire just believed it might be hot, we had no idea what it was, its only when we investigated it, examined it and found evidence that it was hot that we were able to use it.

Damn, started writing this before dx_hbk posted, yeah what he said Smile

« Last edited by super craig on Apr 7th 2011 »
Let me be the first to congratulate you on witnessing pure perfection!

Floatzel Posted: 22:24 Jun20 2011 Post ID: 3024159
Floatzel
My life is 200% a lie.
Post Likes: 12
+
There is no such thangs as ghost, but there is something out there doing it. I don't belive in souls from dead bodies, but I do believe that there is something out there with an unknown purpose.

Credit to Myself for the sig.
sphynxx Posted: 20:15 Jun25 2011 Post ID: 3026644
sphynxx
+
Lady autumn dove said:Ghost? they exist. Ghost are trapped souls.For some reason they weir trapped in this world unable to go to the other side... I have more than enough proof. *could it be that since I am somewhat a psychic?* When I walk into A grave yard I can feel all sorts of energy. I can feel their stories... But still,I don't mind opinions.

Proof they exist and are "trapped souls" please.

« Last edited by sphynxx on Jun 25th 2011 »

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

sphynxx Posted: 20:39 Jun25 2011 Post ID: 3026652
sphynxx
+
Lady autumn dove said:I don't do request.But could you please not question?

This is the Debate and Discussion forum.

If you take a look within the rules thread; if you are putting for an idea or thought, and state it as fact, you must be able to provide credible, verifiable (or peer-reviewed) links to back up what you said.

D&D requires much more thought, and is much stricter in terms of it's post quality than General Chat is.

The point of D&D is for users to debate and discuss points of threads.

That encompasses anything from putting forward their own opinions, posting facts, and even questioning or disproving the opinions or "facts" of other users.

It's just a reality of the forum. I'm not being a jerk, I'm not being mean. It's just what this particular forum is for.

Lady autumn dove Posted: 20:56 Jun25 2011 Post ID: 3026656
Lady autumn dove
Cluckcluckcluck.
Post Likes: 39
+
Yes I know where you stand. I'll delete the post for this just bound to start conspiricy
Displaying Page 2 of 9
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 7 | 8 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close