Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

The death penalty to be brought back?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Next
know-your-role Posted: 13:36 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964593
know-your-role
Post Likes: 1
+
Here in Britain the death penalty is banned but I'm not too sure about the United States, is it still legal over there? Anyway basically discuss whether you think it should be brought back or not, if it's legal in your country, are you for or against it also back up your argument. I think that the death penalty should stay illegal where I live because if somebody has murdered somebody & they're killed, they've got the easy way out. So why not make them suffer by making them live in prison til they die? It's less suffering when they're dead. So, yeah.
E-bro: Jakethesnake14
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 16:08 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964637
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
Excecution is legal in america.
And I agree, someone commits a crime, let them rot in jail.
But that ain't the case. People often get off a few years early. I know that "life" in Ireland is 25 years max.
And even then, as far as I'm aware jails aren't all that bad. You can get a guy that kills babies by beating them with puppies, and in jail he gets properly fed, clothed, a roof over his head and a place to sleep. In minimum security, don't they even get tv?
So Jail ain't all that bad, all things considered, definitely not as bad as people think.
So yes, I think the death penalty should return.
Unfortunately, the EU forbids it.
Now known as
Cyndevia Posted: 18:20 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964697
Cyndevia
Bane of the Fallen King
Post Likes: 0
+
know-your-role said:So why not make them suffer by making them live in prison til they die? It's less suffering when they're dead. So, yeah.

Well to be honest i believe that having to go to jail for the rest of your life is so much easier than the outside because in jail you get free food, get to have a wash every few days, exercise on treadmills, bikes and weight workouts, this is all for free in jail. In the reality when you're not in jail you have to pay for all these things, cook meals for yourself, have to pay bills for your water, electricity and gas.

So in my opinion they should bring back the death penalty and be killed because when they come back from jail no doubt they are going to commit another crime and put others at risk of their lives.

I'm not saying use the death penalty for someone stealing bread but like for someone, so they should be killed for killing others.
Cross Stinger Posted: 18:32 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964702
Cross Stinger
Terrible Treecko
Post Likes: 41
+
New Jersey actually did away with it three years ago. In many other states, such as California, prisoners can be on death row for years before they're actually executed.

There are three main reasons why I don't support the death penalty. First, there still remains a chance that an innocent man could be put to death — two cases that come to mind are the Sacco and Vanzetti executions, which were carried out for crimes they did not commit, even after the people who did the crime actually turned themselves in, and the case of Kenneth Waters, which was the subject of the film Conviction. The second is that it seems as if a victim's family is getting its revenge on a killer, not simply closure; closure enough would be prison with as much security as the state or federal government can provide, with no chance of parole. Third, for enemies of the state, being put to death just proves that they were willing to die for their beliefs, and is pretty much a luxury.

I agree with Cyndevia's point that keeping these prisoners alive does come at a heavy cost to the taxpayer, but for prisoners convicted of murder or otherwise eligible for the death penalty, the only care they should be given are very minimal meals and health checks that only serve to keep the rest of the facility clean; whatever pain that person goes through is certainly deserved, and in my opinion more satisfying than a quick and painless death.

« Last edited by Cross Stinger on Feb 16th 2011 »
Quake Posted: 19:13 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964726
Quake
+
There`s been some debate on whether to put certain criminals into a "slave labor" program, since too much money is spent on idiots who are rehabilitated and 5 days after they get out of jail they get sent back for committing another crime. I think its an interesting idea, not like society is really losing out on much if this were to be implemented, of course it could be abused.

Thanks to Impact. for the avatar and Signature!

Quakelive.com

Havent played much ik but I will be playing!

kimmy456 Posted: 19:22 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964731
kimmy456
+
Cross Stinger said:First, there still remains a chance that an innocent man could be put to death

I agree with this, I have seen a lot of investigations done and hear a lot of stories, you can't always be sure that the right person is behind bars. Just think, someone is charged for a crime that put them on Death Row, and then they are put to death but then not too long after that new evidence is brought forward showing who the real killer is. What can you say around the innocent person, that person was killed and they did nothing wrong it was the killing of a innocent while the guilty party got to wander around knowing someone was killed for what they did. I just don't think its a good thing to have cause of the fact that if a mistake is made with it, its a mistake that you can't reverse or take away.

Spending a life sentence can be just a tormented as other punishments, I have seen stories where people have committed suicide in prisons or just have a awful time, all because they are haunted by what they did, it doesn't happen to everything but there are those selective few.

Another point to make is that victims families do wish that the person who either killed one of there own family members or someone close to them that the guilty party be put to death but something that I understand is that if that person is put to death, what good will it do? Killing the person with the death penalty doesn't bring the love one back, and after everything has passed over it still doesn't bring complete closure to the victims family either.
coachcline Posted: 20:08 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964764
coachcline
Just call me Coach
+
This is what sets me apart from most liberals, I support the death penalty. Not in every single case, no, but when it's necessary. The punishment must match the criminal, however. If a murderer is a remorseless, sick monster that enjoyed their crime & won't learn anything from prison, then yes, the should be executed. How can that person be reformed? How can life in prison teach them anything or punish them?

But if the murderer feels remorse and guilt, then they derserve prison. And depending on the person, crime, etc., they should be allowed to seek parole. With these inmates, they can be reformed, they can change. And if their actions are too gruesome, then this is the best way to punish them. Let them live with what they did.

I also believe that they could give a remorseful person the death penalty as mercy. If the person's act was too gruesome to get out, but they're truly and deeply remorseful, then they should execute them.

And as was stated before, keeping people in prison put a financial strain on the states. Prisons are overfilling, with prisoners living in gymnasiums equipped with beds. Some of them are spending the rest of their lives in prison when they may have done enough to deserve execution.

Some people simply deserve to die for the things they do, no ifs, ands, or buts. People so monstrous & sick deserve no less than to die. If they would execute more prisoners rather than letting them rot in prison when they don't deserve to live at all. I know that life without parole is one of the worst fates in life, imo at least, but death can also be considered equally terrible. Punish those who deserve it with the harshest legal punishment possible. They've done their deeds, they're detrimental to society now, so punish them. And I also believe they should execute more often for things other than the obvious.

Another thing I think they should do is utilize other forms of execution. Electric chair, hanging, firing squad, etc. to go along with the lethal injection. Let the condemned person choose their method of death. It isn't inhumane if they want it that way. Plus, some people would obviously prefer other methods. I'd rather have the firing squad, for example; it's quick and simple.

Siggy proudly brought to you by .Impact!
[insert random quote or phrase that makes the sig space look less bare]
Xeta Posted: 20:52 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964788
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
Cyndevia said:So in my opinion they should bring back the death penalty and be killed because when they come back from jail no doubt they are going to commit another crime and put others at risk of their lives.

I'm not saying use the death penalty for someone stealing bread but like for someone, so they should be killed for killing others.

*Sigh*
This is essentially a contradiction, since people who murder usually don't "come back" from jail. It's either a life sentence or death penalty. I'm not sure what you have to fear, or who's lives are being risked by someone who steals bread.

I do not support the death penalty. This is one of the few things that I can not explain why, but I just don't support it. I do think that prisoners should be forced into labor, so they so something while in there.
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
sphynxx Posted: 21:46 Feb16 2011 Post ID: 2964798
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
Xeta said:
Cyndevia said:So in my opinion they should bring back the death penalty and be killed because when they come back from jail no doubt they are going to commit another crime and put others at risk of their lives.

*Sigh*
This is essentially a contradiction, since people who murder usually don't "come back" from jail. It's either a life sentence or death penalty. I'm not sure what you have to fear, or who's lives are being risked by someone who steals bread.

Maybe not where your from - but here, the minimum "life sentence" is 18 years nonparole - then they're usually let out after that unless there's some huge public outcry at letting the person out.

I support the death penalty, but only in extreme cases. I agree with Crossy that innocent people have been convicted of crimes they haven't commited, so I'm awary in saying this. But for rapists, paedophiles/child molesterers, murders & others who've committed what some could title "sadistic" crimes (torture, greivous bodily harm, wounding with intent to kill etc); the death penalty should be impletemented here in New Zealand.

For those convicted of murder, regardless of whether or not they feel remorse for their actions, shouldn't be allowed to live. If the system were to implete imprisonment as Crossy has said - I'd be all for that, except the human rights lobbyists would all cry wolf about neglect & whatever other stupid law they can. Recently it happened when the NZ Govt. outlawed smoking in prisons. But for those who have had such a huge negative impact on a persons life - rape, molestation, murder & torture/grevious bodily harm, with the way the system is here, they get life in prison easier than some people have who are law abiding citisens. It's disgusting.

eh, I've completely lost my train of thought after leaving for 15 minutes haha. I might add to this later on.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
know-your-role Posted: 10:57 Feb17 2011 Post ID: 2964951
know-your-role
+
CRAZY CHEATS said:Excecution is legal in america.
And I agree, someone commits a crime, let them rot in jail.
But that ain't the case. People often get off a few years early. I know that "life" in Ireland is 25 years max.
And even then, as far as I'm aware jails aren't all that bad. You can get a guy that kills babies by beating them with puppies, and in jail he gets properly fed, clothed, a roof over his head and a place to sleep. In minimum security, don't they even get tv?
So Jail ain't all that bad, all things considered, definitely not as bad as people think.
So yes, I think the death penalty should return.
Unfortunately, the EU forbids it.

Well I guess both ways are the easy way out then really. But bringing back the death penalty in my opinion makes us as bad as them. They murdered somebody they're idiots. If we do the same thing, are we setting a good example? I suppose we're stopping other murders from happening. But if the murderer is in the wrong, us punishing them by killing them is abit hypocritical isn't it?

« Last edited by know-your-role on Feb 17th 2011 »
E-bro: Jakethesnake14
YoSoyJu Posted: 16:31 Feb17 2011 Post ID: 2965054
YoSoyJu
+
The death penalty should be banned globally. It is never okay to take the life of a human being. Period.
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 17:30 Feb17 2011 Post ID: 2965076
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
What if that person is going to take another life?
As I mentioned, life isn't forever in Ireland. Someone can go on a mass killing spree, go to jail for 20 years, then do it again, and repeat the process repeatedly. Some people not only deserve to die, they need to die.
Now known as
YoSoyJu Posted: 15:34 Feb18 2011 Post ID: 2965444
YoSoyJu
+
CRAZY CHEATS said:What if that person is going to take another life?

Please see my previous statement.

CRAZY CHEATS said:Some people not only deserve to die, they need to die.

I feel sorry for you if you think that.
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 15:54 Feb18 2011 Post ID: 2965494
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
So, taking this to the extreme, what if you got a chance to kill Hitler before he came into power?
As you said, taking a life is a huge no-no, so would you just sit back and let him drag the world into the second world war?
Now known as
super craig Posted: 18:27 Feb18 2011 Post ID: 2965553
super craig
+
CRAZY CHEATS said:So, taking this to the extreme, what if you got a chance to kill Hitler before he came into power?
As you said, taking a life is a huge no-no, so would you just sit back and let him drag the world into the second world war?

Couldn't you just arrest him? Wouldn't that solve the problem without having to execute him? It must be said that if you killed him before WW2ish he would be perfectly innocent at that point in time (same if you imprisioned him though), regardless of his beliefs he wouldn't have actually done anything, so technically you'd be less executioner and more murderer.

I don't see what benefit having the death penalty truely brings, as has already been mentioned there is always the prospect of killing an innocent person, innocent people have spent huge chucks of their lives in jail but at least you can attempt to rectify the mistake, something you can't do if you've chopped their heads off. As for the calls that life sentences are only however many years what happens when they get out etc, why is the only solution to kill them, as opposed to simply ensuring that life means life. I remember watching a jail program awhile back with a bloke serving 10 life sentences, if he lived to the US life expectancy he would be in prision for 750 years.

Equally killing them won't bring the victim back, if anything its shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted. Killing them equates to nothing more than revenge and while those feelings are perfectly understandable how can we truely call ourselves a civilised society when we deal with violence by using violence. As Mahatma Gandhi said 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.'
Let me be the first to congratulate you on witnessing pure perfection!

CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 18:41 Feb18 2011 Post ID: 2965559
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
super craig said:
CRAZY CHEATS said:So, taking this to the extreme, what if you got a chance to kill Hitler before he came into power?

Couldn't you just arrest him? Wouldn't that solve the problem without having to execute him? It must be said that if you killed him before WW2ish he would be perfectly innocent at that point in time (same if you imprisioned him though), regardless of his beliefs he wouldn't have actually done anything, so technically you'd be less executioner and more murderer.

I don't see what benefit having the death penalty truely brings, as has already been mentioned there is always the prospect of killing an innocent person, innocent people have spent huge chucks of their lives in jail but at least you can attempt to rectify the mistake, something you can't do if you've chopped their heads off. As for the calls that life sentences are only however many years what happens when they get out etc, why is the only solution to kill them, as opposed to simply ensuring that life means life. I remember watching a jail program awhile back with a bloke serving 10 life sentences, if he lived to the US life expectancy he would be in prision for 750 years.

Equally killing them won't bring the victim back, if anything its shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted. Killing them equates to nothing more than revenge and while those feelings are perfectly understandable how can we truely call ourselves a civilised society when we deal with violence by using violence. As Mahatma Gandhi said 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.'

Jailing him honestly skipped my mind....

Anyway, as has been said, Jail, even for life, isn't the most unpleasant experience. If you do enough to get you stuck in there forever, then that will hold some sort of protection from fear. And if you can hold your own in a fight, then jail is at most boring. Hardly a punishment all things considered.
The only real way to punish them would get the human rights activists all stirred up.
Now known as
Warrior13 Posted: 08:14 Feb19 2011 Post ID: 2965787
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
There is no reason to have the death penalty. It is their sins, they will pay in the end. Killing someone who killed?
"Yet he who are without sin, cast the first stone."
Famous words of Jesus.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Feb 19th 2011 »
sphynxx Posted: 08:55 Feb19 2011 Post ID: 2965794
sphynxx
+
Warrior13 said:There is no reason to have the death penalty. It is their sins, they will pay in the end. Killing someone who killed?
"Yet he who are without sin, cast the first stone."
Famous words of Jesus.

Provided that Heaven & Hell & final judgement actually exist.

If we go by Jesus' famous words - no-one would be put into prision because judges & lawyers wouldn't able to do crap, because I guarantee you, none of them have lived entirely sin free lives.

It's all good & well to adhere to the teachings of the bible, but one must be practicle when applying them to everyday life.

Eh, with the way todays society is going, prisons are overflowing anyone. I know here and the US that is the case. Just do a massive shootout with the Death Row convicts, bring back mandatory death penalties for anyone who commits a crime (of which I mentioned in an earlier post) and save the tax payers some money.

they could even use stockpiled ammunition haha. Obviously I'm having a bit of joke around, but some part of me thinks that'd be a decent idea xD

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

YoSoyJu Posted: 21:15 Feb19 2011 Post ID: 2965883
YoSoyJu
+
I guess it all comes down to one question really...

Which situation is more preferable to you: A murderer walks free or an innocent man is put to death?
sphynxx Posted: 22:04 Feb19 2011 Post ID: 2965887
sphynxx
+
Does anyone know the odds of putting an innocent man on Death Row? I mean, they can't be all that high considering just how many people are in there for these crimes. Has anyone ever bothered to do such research?

I'm curious, because although sentencing an innocent man to death is tragic yes, but surely the odds of it actually happening must be very long.

That'd be like saying people shouldn't drive their cars, because they may run someone over.

Displaying Page 1 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close