Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Keyblade21 Posted: 00:40 Mar22 2011 Post ID: 2978362
Keyblade21
Post Likes: 323
+
Should the Christian religious festival of Christmas be celebrated in public? Or should we be careful to avoid giving offense to those of other faiths, or of no faith, at this time of year?

Avy & Sig credits go to Hurricane0

Want to join in the chat? Head over to General Chat
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
sphynxx Posted: 01:12 Mar22 2011 Post ID: 2978375
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
Honestly, who gives a crap.

Two words should not make an ounce of difference. If the thoughts & feelings behind them are of happiness, peace & what have you, then what difference does it truly make if someone greets you with "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"? they both signify in some way a person wishing you peace, happiness, good holiday spirit etc.

Some people will never be happy unless EVERYTHING is their way. And even if it were, they'd complain that other people don't like it D;

« Last edited by sphynxx on Mar 22nd 2011 »

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
Volke Posted: 05:30 Mar22 2011 Post ID: 2978396
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
There was a big thing in the UK going on about this last Christmas. Migrants of ethnic minorities were whining about how 'Merry Christmas' should be replaced by 'Happy Holidays' because there is no religious value in the term 'Happy Holidays'. However, Christmas is a Christian holiday, and the UK is a Christian country. So, not only should these people not be celebrating Christmas to begin with, but they're in a Christian country telling us to remove the religious value from the most important holiday of our religion.

That's what I don't like about some migrants. They march into our country acting as if they own the place, and expect us to respect their beliefs and cultures when they're not respecting ours. Plus, the government is too nice to them regarding these issues.

In my old school, which is Catholic, they apparently banned the handing out of cards that said 'Merry Christmas' on them - they only allowed cards saying 'Happy Holidays', or anything to a similar effect. Ludicrous! And in a Catholic school, of all places!

The only real counter-argument is that religion isn't really that important anymore, but I believe that we should remember the religious meaning behind the holiday.
Jakethesnake14 Posted: 09:45 Mar23 2011 Post ID: 2979015
Jakethesnake14
The master of War
Post Likes: 1
+
I agree with Sphynxx, both wish you a good day. Weather it be a "Merry Christmas" or a "Happy Holidays", just take the compliment. If you dont like it, well sorry your going to have to deal with it. Im trying to compliment you, dont be mean.

Craizen for my sig and avy <3

know-your-role Posted: 13:09 Mar23 2011 Post ID: 2979158
know-your-role
+
I believe that we should keep the term "Merry Christmas" as I don't see why it should be changed now, the term "Merry Christmas" has been around for ages, so why should we change it now, because other people don't like it? It's simply just pathetic in my opinion, there's always one that has to complain about it. If you don't like it, ignore it, if you can't do that simply just move to another country. Simple.
E-bro: Jakethesnake14
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 13:40 Mar23 2011 Post ID: 2979168
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
Alfred and Volke have pretty much nailed this for me.

People just like complaining, and if they can get a lawsuit out of it, even better.
PCness in general has kind of gone insane, and this is a prime example.
Now known as
Will d (mr ramdom) Posted: 17:02 Mar23 2011 Post ID: 2979336
Will d (mr ramdom)
*Insert witty title here*
Post Likes: 4
+
Honestly, I don't think it matters. Both mean the same thing at the end of the day. Just depends wether or not other people are willing to take a complement that they don't use.

But personally, I say Merry Christmas. I haven't met anybody who takes any form of offence to that, and even if I did, I'd still use it. I'm not changing what I say just because some people take it too far in the way its not sussposed to be taken.

^Sig by SG^

My Team. It's amazing.

Contact me at: [email protected]
YoSoyJu Posted: 19:47 Mar23 2011 Post ID: 2979404
YoSoyJu
Post Likes: 0
+
Well, we already had this discussion here, and my views haven't really changed. If a private company wants to say "Merry Christmas" then they have that right. But don't blame companies that say "Happy Holidays" instead just because it is more inclusive.

And as for the "Merry Christmas has been around forever" argument, remember that Christmas is just a pagan festival celebrating the solstice repacked to add in Jesus. So that really doesn't fly.
sphynxx Posted: 22:52 Mar23 2011 Post ID: 2979546
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
YoSoyJu said:Well, we already had this discussion here, and my views haven't really changed. If a private company wants to say "Merry Christmas" then they have that right. But don't blame companies that say "Happy Holidays" instead just because it is more inclusive.

And as for the "Merry Christmas has been around forever" argument, remember that Christmas is just a pagan festival celebrating the solstice repacked to add in Jesus. So that really doesn't fly.

Just about every major "christian" holiday is derived in some way from some Pagan festival anyway lol.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
Keyblade21 Posted: 03:37 Mar24 2011 Post ID: 2979618
Keyblade21
Post Likes: 323
+
YoSoyJu said:Well, we already had this discussion here, and my views haven't really changed. If a private company wants to say "Merry Christmas" then they have that right. But don't blame companies that say "Happy Holidays" instead just because it is more inclusive.

Sorry mate, didn't see that Doh

Avy & Sig credits go to Hurricane0

Want to join in the chat? Head over to General Chat
Volke Posted: 07:32 Mar24 2011 Post ID: 2979659
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
sphynxx said:

Just about every major "christian" holiday is derived in some way from some Pagan festival anyway lol.

The reason behind it is that when Western Europe was Catholicised, the people began to worship it instead of Paganism. However, numerous Pagan traditions, in addition to all kinds of superstitions and beliefs, merged into the original Catholicism.

It isn't entirely true with Christmas, as December 25th is the estimated date that lies exactly in the middle of all possible dates Jesus could have been born on (nobody knows when, exactly, Jesus was born, only a period of around four months in which he would have been born in).

However, as the date is so close to the Winter Solstice, the early ex-Pagan Catholics merely moved a few days backwards to celebrate the birth of Jesus instead. Christmas dinner is a prime example. If I'm correct (please tell me if I'm not), Christmas dinner actually originates from a feast that Pagans would hold on the Winter Solstice.

(I'm actually a University History student and I studied the origins of the Medieval depiction of Catholicism very recently in an essay)

« Last edited by Volke on Mar 24th 2011 »
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close