Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Progressive Rock/Metal

Moderators for this forum: sphynxx
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Jay_Dee Posted: 19:55 Apr14 2012 Post ID: 3107110
Jay_Dee
Post Likes: 10
+
So, progressive music is a relatively uncommon music in America. I know a few people who like it, but I don't know many. We Americans tend to listen to stupid crap like Minaj, Perry, and LMFAO. But, thanks to my Dad, I was introduced to progressive music... probably six or seven years ago now. I've never once since then -not- liked the music. I can always go back and listen to old artists and new artists, and never get tired of it.

But I'm curious as to how popular this type of music is in other countries. I'm relatively certain that progressive is popular in Britain, because I've talked to a good few people that enjoy it. But Asian countries (if there's even an Asian 'population' on this site...) and most other European countries - I have no idea how popular this music may be. So, that's what I'm asking.

Have you heard of it? Do you listen to it? Do you like it?

« Last edited by Jay_Dee on Apr 15th 2012 »
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
stormform Posted: 07:08 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107194
stormform
Eternal Lurker
Post Likes: 43
+
In Finland, prog metal is somewhat popular, not so much rock. And the boundary between progressive and tech-metal is so faint nowadays so it's hard to really determine how popular it really is, even in a metal country like Finland.

Volke Posted: 07:51 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107204
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
'Progressive' is a slightly overused term, sometimes. I've seen some bands labelled as 'Progressive Metal/Rock' when they aren't really, they just do soemthing a bit different that people can't seem to put under a genre, or they are a bit more technical than your average rock/metal band. Muse are a very good example of the former.

I listen to a few bands that have progressive influences, such as Nightwish and Sonata Arctica, but wouldn't be considered Progressive Metal (although some of Sonata's more recent material possibly could), but don't listen to any Progressive Rock/Metal bands as I just find them to be boring and unecessarily complicated, such as Dream Theater, a band I used to be really into but went off completely (although I do still quite like their Train Of Thought album).
Jay_Dee Posted: 18:26 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107323
Jay_Dee
+
I usually never use genres to label music. Every song in my music library has been tagged as 'music' under the genre. I don't even have a full grasp on what makes what fit under a genre. I just know that I've heard 'progressive' describe say, Porcupine Tree, in the past. So I just assumed that it's an at least semi-accurate label. Then the rest of this list is bands that kind of remind me of PT in some way or another.

I've listened to Nightwish a bit. I have a few albums. But I've never even heard of Sonata Arctica. I'll have to give them a listen.

« Last edited by Jay_Dee on Apr 15th 2012 »
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 17:44 May02 2012 Post ID: 3110074
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
Post Likes: 1
+
As a general rule of thumb, I love Prog.
Of your list, I've heard of PT, Floyd, Opeth, Tool & Dream Theatre and absolutely love the first 3.

Have you heard of Storm Corrosion? It's Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) & Steve Wilson (PT). Not sure if it's prog, but they're pretty damned good.

Other good bands/acts:
Ihsahn
Gojira (I dunno if these guys are actually prog, but they're often classed as it, possibly for reasons Volke gave)
Devin Townsend

« Last edited by CRAZY CHEATS on May 2nd 2012 »
Now known as
GranTurismo Posted: 13:53 May03 2012 Post ID: 3110183
GranTurismo
Post Likes: 1
+
Unfortunately the average Aussie listens to the same mainstream stuff as the average American.

I listen to a bit of everything, so yeah Prog Metal/Rock is certainly something I listen to, mainly Dream Theater and Between the Buried and Me.

"The Ferrari-designed engine springs to life with a praiseworthy, deep rich voice that sends chills to the sensory portion of the brain. The message is loud and clear: this is gonna be great." -TheAutoChannel on the GranTurismo S
Jay_Dee Posted: 09:50 May06 2012 Post ID: 3110697
Jay_Dee
+
I've never heard of Between The Buried And Me. I'll have to check them out.
Cross Stinger Posted: 10:01 May21 2012 Post ID: 3113341
Cross Stinger
Terrible Treecko
Post Likes: 41
+
I've only ever heard that the first 'progressive' rock band in the US was Kansas — but all they're known for now are 'Dust in the Wind' and 'Carry On Wayward Son'. Never sure what it meant, though.
drybones81397 Posted: 19:44 May23 2012 Post ID: 3113961
drybones81397
Post Likes: 0
+
I feel as if I'm one of the small percentage of the American population who loves progressive metal. My iPod suffers from Not Enough Storage Capacity Syndrome.

I think Chimp Spanner can also be classified as 'prog,' but...

« Last edited by drybones81397 on May 23rd 2012 »

Uhh... I have nothing of value to offer in this sentence...
--drybones81397
Sexy Bomb Posted: 18:03 Jun26 2012 Post ID: 3123825
Sexy Bomb
Post Likes: 0
+
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Periphery yet.

Siesta Fiesta is an awesome local prog-rock band in my area.
Old Member? Join Club Buggles!
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close