Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

SC Revamp

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 5

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | Last     Next
The Arsonist Posted: 16:34 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107293
The Arsonist
Post Likes: 11
+
For this site to have a future(its grown on me so I want it to) we need to archive ALL THE FORUMS and move a few important threads to:

Gaming - All gaming related stuff with the exception of news posted here. News should be posted on the front page imo. Pokemon can be a sub-forum if necessary because
General - includes the current general chat, music, films, new members, supercheats times and suggestions and problems. Basically everything that's not gaming.

Rule changes:
Off-topic rule should be completely removed. As there's only so much you can say about a topic but a lot you can say in a conversation.
Only keep non-flaming and double posting rules.

Teams changes:
Remove the 20 posts per day for newbies rule. I've seen it drive away 2 newbies already and it's utterly pointless.

Mods:
Only two will be needed to write the new rules/apply all the changes.

New style:
Not needed but may add novelty to the idea of a "completely new forum".

Why this will increase activity by 100% within a month or I'll eat my shorts:

- I always have a lot to say, and I'm not alone. However I'm not going to bother to post in a dead forum and get no views just because I want to share a band with you guys. This is the primary reason as I don't feel that all of these forums are necessary. Since this forum is currently the most viewed, if everything goes in here all topics will be easier to see and comment on and along with looser rules, you can basically guarantee more activity.

for instance: If I want to post a topic about Little Big Planet but not something specific, I can now simply make a topic in gaming titled "So who plays Little Big Planet?" and it will generate tons more discussion than entire forum devoted to it because it's hard to think of specific things you want to discuss about the game.

- The "new forum" can be advertised on the front page which will draw the curious and attract attention. It can also be advertised in emails to old members which will undoubtedly draw the, back, if only in curiosity.

- There are way too many forums and I hate wading through all of them to get the actual content.

- We've got nothing to lose.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
So yes, I do want it to be like PXE. I'll only mention that once but the truth is, those guys on PXE basically are Supercheats. They just realized that the current website sucks and kept the community going on over there. But obviously that's not for everyone. I want the same sense of community in here while still being able to discuss serious things with strangers. Does that make sense? I hope so otherwise I just wasted 15 minutes of my life.

I've never been a mod but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that things are out of whack. If this works we can get more sub-forums if gaming and general get too crowded.

TL;DR: Complete revamp is the only thing that will bring this place back to life. I want to start anew.

Your choice members, open to suggestions, criticisms and better ideas.

« Last edited by The Arsonist on Apr 15th 2012 »

TheMadArsonist: JONATHAN FOR MOD 2012
supapika: YEAH
supapika: wait what?
supapika: D:
TheMadArsonist: JON2012
supapika: so the mayans were right!

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Vicar Posted: 17:01 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107296
Vicar
Orbis terrarum est mei
Post Likes: 0
+
We already have something going. Forum/main site merger.
The Arsonist Posted: 17:05 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107297
The Arsonist
+
Well please tell because I don't see how that will accomplish anything.

Since it's for the members, shouldn't we get to know?

Remember, it's not only about new members but also about keeping current members.

Vicar Posted: 17:12 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107298
Vicar
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
http://forums.supercheats.c...c=122996

Team SuperCheats said:Ok NineTails gets it - I will make it so...

Regarding moving forums to main site, here is the best example I can give you:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/604/view/forums/forum/1138/General-Discussion.html

Now that kind of set up in our template on the main pages minus the wide 300px column on the right.

We can duplicate posts in a general video games forum or similar or in the existing video game boards.

Forums are being moved.
Axionas Posted: 17:12 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107299
Axionas
Kitsune-no-Okami
Post Likes: 5
+
Post limit is needed to avoid people getting banned from a team, creating a new account and spamming it up.

Though, I think it'd be a good idea to shorten the days from a week to a day.
hi-im-benji-and-this-joke-sucks Posted: 17:17 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107300
hi-im-benji-an
d-this-joke-su
cks
Forum GuestMember
+
They call me slim shady, I'm back, I'm back.

Yeah anyway, another important and valid issue for me to weigh in on. My posts are about as rare as delivered nudes, so listen in folks.

Burn has hit the nail on the head here. Implementing not some, but ALL of the points mentioned would benefit these forums more than you'd believe. I'm all for it.

Also Derek, with all due respect, I don't think that simply merging the two of those is going to do anything towards exponential regrowth for this forum. With so many different categories that the current activity cannot support, the forum looks dead. Put it all together and it looks active. People don't want to post on a dead forum. It's part of why I don't post here anymore, because it seems as if any post I make is more likely to sink into oblivion with the rest of the dead threads.

But uh.. yeah. As you all might know, I'm pretty good at walls of text, but this time around I've made it a gentle wee fence. I may weigh back in on this matter later, but I'm not sure. I'll see what the rest of you say.
The Arsonist Posted: 17:19 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107301
The Arsonist
+
Vicar said:http://forums.supercheats.c...c=122996

Team SuperCheats said:Ok NineTails gets it - I will make it so...

Regarding moving forums to main site, here is the best example I can give you:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/604/view/forums/forum/1138/General-Discussion.html

Now that kind of set up in our template on the main pages minus the wide 300px column on the right.

We can duplicate posts in a general video games forum or similar or in the existing video game boards.

Forums are being moved.

No that's a horrible idea. It will probably drive people away if anything. You guys don't even listen to the regular members and ask them what they want.
EDIT: Okay I'll admit I don't quite understand what's going on there. Explanation please?

If we can get enough support can we at least consider this idea?

Oh come on that's never happened and never will Axionas.

Axionas Posted: 17:22 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107303
Axionas
Kitsune-no-Okami
+
It's still needed just in case, you can never be too careful. We can change the limit. I would agree with a day and amp the limit to maybe 35 instead of 20. Most new members don't post as much anyways.
The Arsonist Posted: 17:24 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107304
The Arsonist
+
Axionas said:It's still needed just in case, you can never be too careful. We can change the limit. I would agree with a day and amp the limit to maybe 35 instead of 20. Most new members don't post as much anyways.

That's agreeable.

Derek, I'm actually starting to like that idea a bit but it needs some work.

Vicar Posted: 17:30 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107305
Vicar
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
I got an email from Rich somewhere around January 20th. This was part of it;

Further than that we are really focusing as much as we can on content and the user experience, and getting people to stay on the site for an extra pageview ideally - your nav bar was a great suggestion and would help the site, but as I said before we need time to look at options.

Most of the long time members here use ad blockers, so we're not focusing on keeping them over new members. Most of the new people and guests just come here for cheats, so they're less likely to use ad blockers. We want to keep them.

To drag guests and new people into the forums, we're putting a post box on the main site for each game. If a game doesn't have a forum, the main site section is allowed to get 100 posts. On the 100th post, a forum for the game is automatically made.

It drags your daily count of about 30,000 members/guests into the forums.

« Last edited by Vicar on Apr 15th 2012 »
The Arsonist Posted: 17:36 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107307
The Arsonist
+
Vicar said:I got an email from Rich somewhere around January 20th. This was part of it;

Further than that we are really focusing as much as we can on content and the user experience, and getting people to stay on the site for an extra pageview ideally - your nav bar was a great suggestion and would help the site, but as I said before we need time to look at options.

Most of the long time members here use ad blockers, so we're not focusing on keeping them over new members. Most of the new people and guests just come here for cheats, so they're less likely to use ad blockers. We want to keep them.

To drag guests and new people into the forums, we're putting a post box on the main site for each game. If a game doesn't have a forum, the main site section is allowed to get 100 posts. On the 100th post, a forum for the game is automatically made.

It drags your daily count of about 30,000 members/guests into the forums.

You forget that most of those 30 000 guests will probably just make an account, make one topic about a game and then vanish.

I see your focus is on new members because of ad revenue, that does not mean that current members should be ignored just because they bring in money. Yes, I understand Rich needs to make money but that doesn't mean making the forum a cluttered mess with 1 000 000 pokemon topics all asking "how to evlove pikachu" or "dus any1 hav legit arceus?"

I still think lots of forums should still be cut out and streamlined. If your idea goes through, I'd still be better to throw all the misc. topics together and throw out the dead videogame boards.

Vicar Posted: 17:38 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107308
Vicar
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
It's already being programmed into the site right now.

I really can't see it affecting the general boards. You can most likely merge whatever the hell you want here.
The Arsonist Posted: 17:40 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107309
The Arsonist
+
Except I can't.

Merge it please, for me.

Oh yeah and the new rules suggestions still stands.

hi-im-benji-and-this-joke-sucks Posted: 17:42 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107310
hi-im-benji-an
d-this-joke-su
cks
Forum GuestMember
+
Axionas said:Post limit is needed to avoid people getting banned from a team, creating a new account and spamming it up.

Though, I think it'd be a good idea to shorten the days from a week to a day.

Remove it entirely. That's what the mods are for. And an IP ban would suffice fine.

If I joined a new forum and found they limited the amount of posts I can make in my first week, I'd lose a lot of interest based on that alone. 20 posts for a week? Are you kidding me? I'd lose interest so quickly if that was my limit. I can post that in an hour comfortably, as can pretty much everyone, and if you want them to stay, you should allow them to post as much as they want.

Think about it this way, and you'll see the idiocy of that limit. You encourage new members, and then you limit the amount of contribution they can make, therefore effectively discouraging them from staying, then complain that there is no activity? I would think of an analogy or metaphorical example to support what I'm saying here, but nothing else in the world has such moronic and contradicting standards that so stupidly debunk the new members from staying.

That first week they're here is absolutely crucial in them deciding consciously or sub-consciously whether they're going to stay. Obviously they can be outward and say "yeah I like the place and I'm going to stay" (although at the current state that's becoming a rarity), or inwardly their sub-conscious can dictate whether they like the place enough to continue posti-- wait a minute, they can't because there is a limit!

I think another problem around here is that it seems to me that this place thinks it is the only forum on the internet. News flash, there are a bajillion more active forums with less rules, no limits all over the internet. If you limit their posts, they will likely pack up shop and go to another forum that is not going to try be nazi's and control the amount they can post. This all seems very obvious and logical to me, but it doesn't seem to be occurring to anyone in power here that this is the case. The seem to be blind to the obvious problems at hand and are not scapegoating other completely unrelated points and blaming them for the lack of activity. Wake up for gods sake, people have been saying those things for years and they haven't done anything for the activity.

Oh and coming back to the original point, if some one really wanted to spam and be a **** head, they could just make multiple accounts and post over and over. Also, if they can get in 20 posts before a mod/s-mod/admin sees them, kudos to them - they picked a fantastic time. Bottom line, it's never going to happen. That's excuse mongering, and comes back to the point I made above about scapegoating other completely unrelated points, and using them as a shallow justification for severely baseless points.

I felt guilty for not posting a wall of text the first time around, so here's a better one.
The Arsonist Posted: 17:43 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107311
The Arsonist
+
20 posts a day for a week*

I think you misunderstood benji.

hi-im-benji-and-this-joke-sucks Posted: 17:45 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107312
hi-im-benji-an
d-this-joke-su
cks
Forum GuestMember
+
The Arsonist said:

I see your focus is on new members because of ad revenue, that does not mean that current members should be ignored just because they bring in money.

When the focus becomes not on enjoyment, but rather the money, the enjoyment and the money both suffer. When the focus is on the enjoyment, both flourish.

It's really as simple as that, and if the priority as it stands is money, the site is only destined to wane off in time. Put the enjoyment first, and the money second.
hi-im-benji-and-this-joke-sucks Posted: 17:46 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107313
hi-im-benji-an
d-this-joke-su
cks
Forum GuestMember
+
The Arsonist said:20 posts a day for a week*

I think you misunderstood benji.

That'd still put me off.
The Arsonist Posted: 17:51 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107316
The Arsonist
+
I've actually seen people put off by that.

2 people I can name on top of my head are Alana's friend and Mop's friend. But you wouldn't know anyhing about that.

Yeah I agree, let the main site generate the money and let the forum be for enjoyment.

Also we need more opinions here.

Axionas Posted: 18:02 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107318
Axionas
Kitsune-no-Okami
+
Not all staff there are on 24/7 you know and only two of them are capable of banning. While one is at work the other isn't on all too much anymore. If someone isn't there then what's stopping from someone going on a flame spree, if it ever happens.

A high post limit for one day seems fair enough, it allows new members to post while keeping a check on a flame/bypass account.

Besides, I've rarely seen a new member post more than 35 times a day. It's there just in case, there's no real problem at all. It's not there to hold anyone back, it's there to keep check of people making a new account just to spam.
The Arsonist Posted: 18:08 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107319
The Arsonist
+
Well you've never seen a new member post more than 35 times a day because they're limited.

I'm standing by my post. Feel free to disagree.

Displaying Page 1 of 5

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close