Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

"Why, nobody's here, how original."

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 6

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Last     Previous | Next
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 18:22 Jun22 2012 Post ID: 3122598
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
Post Likes: 28
+

Super Mods being able to ban. What a joke. There's no way that could ever happen.

And I remember the days when we didn't have orange bars. I got fed up with the text and gave the site these pretty colors under our avyes. Although this is my second version. The first version ((Which is still in T&C)) was ugly.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
darkboarder_77 Posted: 23:10 Jun22 2012 Post ID: 3122657
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
Post Likes: 0
+
Forgoten_Scars said:

Super Mods being able to ban. What a joke. There's no way that could ever happen.

And I remember the days when we didn't have orange bars. I got fed up with the text and gave the site these pretty colors under our avyes. Although this is my second version. The first version ((Which is still in T&C)) was ugly.

Interesting. Since when did Rich decide supermods should have a banhammer in reach? Or are you a premium breed of supermod?

Edit: Creatively, I'd've called that back in the day, 'hypermoderator'...

« Last edited by darkboarder_77 on Jun 22nd 2012 »
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

sphynxx Posted: 01:35 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122668
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
Lets just say sh!t hit the fan and the admins don't really appear, to the normal members at least - to do squat. So Derek being as active as he is - has had to do a fair amount to stay on top of things, and he's ultimately hit the limits on bans & such - requiring Rich to give him (or perhaps Smods in general) a greater level of authority to cope.

Or so Derel says :D

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
BURNOUTFREAK Posted: 05:30 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122684
BURNOUTFREAK
edgy
Post Likes: 97
+
This entire thread: tl;dr
sphynxx Posted: 05:33 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122685
sphynxx
+
Most of your posts; "dr;dc" :D

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Forgoten_Scars Posted: 06:14 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122690
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
This thread is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I still hate talking about myself. x_X

darkboarder_77 said:Interesting. Since when did Rich decide supermods should have a banhammer in reach? Or are you a premium breed of supermod?

Edit: Creatively, I'd've called that back in the day, 'hypermoderator'...

Since mid 2009, but Smods have always been heavily limited. They can only ban the username ((Not IP)), they can only ban up to a week, and they can only ban 5 times a week. The only thing that's really changed is the ban limit, and that was within the past month. Once I started breaking my account with these guests by hitting every limit a Smod could, Rich eventually just removed the ban limit for Smods and made the delete thread/post limits stupidly high.

As for premium breed, I can do things that the other Smods can't, but that's just because I stick my fingers in the site code when I really shouldn't. I've found lines of code that give me the power to do things only Admins should be able to do, and a few that even Admins can't.

sphynxx said:requiring Rich to give him (or perhaps Smods in general) a greater level of authority to cope.

Or so Derel says :D

If he didn't do anything, I wouldn't be banning 20 times a day. Pain in the butt it is too.

« Last edited by Forgoten_Scars on Jun 23rd 2012 »
Team SuperCheats Posted: 06:44 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122693
Team SuperCheats
The Chief
Post Likes: 117
+
If this place was so dead - there would be no replies - This kind of thread does get on my nerves a bit especially when people are working hard on the website.

« Last edited by Team SuperCheats on Jun 23rd 2012 »
Game Guides Galore - http://www.supercheats.com/guides/
Cross Stinger Posted: 06:50 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122695
Cross Stinger
Terrible Treecko
Post Likes: 41
+
Never thought darkboarder_77 would join the ranks of the naysayers.

Activity has picked up quite a bit in the past few months, but in the Video Game Forums where guests can now post. As a corollary, that's where a lot of the trouble comes from now.

And whoever said that the decrease in activity owes to the ease in creating a free forum should be aware that we had our own cliquish message boards back in the day — I had a small one, as did darkboarder_77, actionshark (who recently made an appearance), and a few others. Hell, Pixel Euphoria was another. If anything, bad policy here drove some people to homegrown forums where the rules were more relaxed, but the mere existence of those forums doesn't fully explain activity loss.
steelersrock01 Posted: 09:22 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122712
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
^Yeah, didn't Rich use to have Forumsvibe? I remember having a forum on there. It got quite large, IIRC.
neptis Posted: 09:33 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122722
neptis
retired Moderator
Post Likes: 13
+
Cross Stinger said:Never thought darkboarder_77 would join the ranks of the naysayers.

but the mere existence of those forums doesn't fully explain activity loss.

crossy it may just be . the fact that mosy older members do not have the time now . as most of us do have jobs. and i know you may say that you and rich and uthers also have jobs.

but my point if anything is that we are probably just to tired to come on.i also have volitery work that i do . and 2 clubs to go to.

steelersrock01 said:^Yeah, didn't Rich use to have Forumsvibe? I remember having a forum on there. It got quite large, IIRC.

yes i remember those forums i had one of them aswell
Sir Bel-te Amethyst Knight of Welcomes
forum status: retired Moderator
forum: new member welcome forum (2005-2010)(corect me if i got second date wrong)
my coment: i was THE New members welcome forum mod (my opinion :P )
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 15:53 Jun23 2012 Post ID: 3122828
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
Team SuperCheats said:If this place was so dead - there would be no replies - This kind of thread does get on my nerves a bit especially when people are working hard on the website.

At least the irony of these threads complaining about inactivity generates activity. Comparatively, things are dead. We currently get anywhere from 200 - 400 posts daily in the forums. The same is true for T&C.

I'm the second most prolific poster on this site with 125,000 posts, only beat by Ninetailed Fox with over 200,000 posts. I remember the times when I could get 600 posts a day, and they were pretty decent ones too.

If one person 3 years ago could make more posts than the entire member body combined today, you have to admit that something's wrong. But, hey, at least we're all trying to fix it. That merger was a great boost, like Cross said. I know one or two others that could help, but it would require a good chunk of Mark's time.
darkboarder_77 Posted: 17:01 Jun24 2012 Post ID: 3123101
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
Team SuperCheats said:If this place was so dead - there would be no replies - This kind of thread does get on my nerves a bit especially when people are working hard on the website.

If you're referring to forum time being spent on submissions instead, I understand. Otherwise, it's not my intention to imply you or anyone else wasn't hard at work here. It may just be irrelevant... The forums could just be slow for no solid reason, and that's all she wrote.

Can I be brutally honest? The PM system's broken (in my experience) and the comment tools have already crumbled a few times for me. I know it's better than not having one, but by 2012 I sort of expected better. Otherwise, your site seems to be coming along well and the features present now make it a better place than way back when we didn't even have signatures. So it's clear to me someone's improving it.

Sorry to make this a rough first-encounter after so long. Hope I didn't offend you - I don't mean to draw conclusions, but merely press an observation and seek input for it. Glad to see you come along occasionally yourself, though. Smile

Cross Stinger said:Never thought darkboarder_77 would join the ranks of the naysayers.

Activity has picked up quite a bit in the past few months, but in the Video Game Forums where guests can now post. As a corollary, that's where a lot of the trouble comes from now.

And whoever said that the decrease in activity owes to the ease in creating a free forum should be aware that we had our own cliquish message boards back in the day ? I had a small one, as did darkboarder_77, actionshark (who recently made an appearance), and a few others. Hell, Pixel Euphoria was another. If anything, bad policy here drove some people to homegrown forums where the rules were more relaxed, but the mere existence of those forums doesn't fully explain activity loss.

Oh, it's you again. Been so long, man. (*bro-hug*)

And Actionshark came around?... Hold up, when was this?

« Last edited by darkboarder_77 on Jun 24th 2012 »
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

sphynxx Posted: 18:07 Jun24 2012 Post ID: 3123111
sphynxx
+
Hows the PM section broken? Aside from the filters picking up the greater-than and less-than signs as HTML there's not really anything wrong with them that I've noticed in my own use of them.

Xeta Posted: 12:38 Jun25 2012 Post ID: 3123285
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
I don't believe homegrown forums contribute to activity loss in any way in recent times to be honest. Maybe back in the day when Dave was around and that whole Bleepland thing. The only real one out there nowadays is pxe and we just post there instead of here because we don't like anyone and no one here likes us.
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
Volke Posted: 13:11 Jun25 2012 Post ID: 3123296
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
I looked at this thinking someone had bumped that old topic.

Well, last year and the beginning of this year were slower. Adding guests into the mix has improved things.

Really though, this kind of thing just happens.

A few people you know from before are on PXE, Darkboarder.
imaginarium Posted: 18:10 Jun25 2012 Post ID: 3123442
imaginarium
+
I personally believe older members have no right to complain about forum inactivity.
By leaving the forum, you too, are contributing to the inactivity you're complaining about.

As has been previously stated, it's unfortunate, but anybody can make a forum for free now.

However the more the members here post, the more it will encourage the newer members to post.
Not many people are aware that this forum isn't just for your gaming desires, it's also here to provide a social aspect, which is actually the main reason I'm sticking around.
I think all the forum really needs to get active again is to restart it.
Perhaps keep the important threads and clear the forum.
Some people are intimidated by pages and pages of threads and are discouraged by the lack of accurate answers to their questions, so they don't bother to stay and post.
Craizen Posted: 19:11 Jun25 2012 Post ID: 3123463
Craizen
A'ight
Post Likes: 66
+
I think we accomplished this, general forum wise, VG forums I don't think
TestVirus101 Posted: 08:43 Jun26 2012 Post ID: 3123667
TestVirus101
Ah crap he's finally dead
Post Likes: 35
+
I'm not sure where the general drop off in activity came from. I don't believe that it has anything to do with Dave for one, considering he left years ago and the site was still active at the time.

Seems more like we were hit unfortunately with a bunch of regulars leaving around two years ago or so and it hasn't left us with as much of a community as we once had. It's important to remember that it's a chain-reaction; when members lose all their close friends they then leave themselves.

For me personally, not having my old FF/RP crew like Cez, Jaffa, etc. still really sucks. FF/RP was what really got me heavily involved in the site in the first place and kept me around a lot longer (despite the fact the first places I posted in were Dynasty Warriors and Pokemon forums).
sphynxx Posted: 22:02 Jun26 2012 Post ID: 3123898
sphynxx
+
All of the guys that I became friends with at the start of my SC "career" have all gone too Dx

steelersrock01 Posted: 22:15 Jun26 2012 Post ID: 3123911
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
All of the members I became close friends with in 07 and 08 either left or are banned. Like king26, Big Shady, and Mario_4_Ever I think his name was. Since then I never really got close with anyone else here besides the pxe crew and some others. In all my years here nobody has ever come straight out and said they don't like me though lol. I try to get along with everyone.
Displaying Page 2 of 6

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close