Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

YouTubers

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
bowow Posted: 03:37 Dec12 2012 Post ID: 3181429
bowow
The Lizard King
Post Likes: 4
+
In an attempt to get some conversation flowing let's talk YouTubers.

What YouTubers do you watch regularly?

Who is your favourite and why?

Which ones can't you stand or for some reason just seem to always p*ss you off?

Cred to TheLlama for the Siggy! And PBO for the Avy!

Blurred Voice said:Female, you just stick a blunt object in your fun hole and nothing comes of it. Man, you grab your pork stick and send little ghost looking things from a Mario game everywhere.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
stormform Posted: 10:13 Dec12 2012 Post ID: 3181550
stormform
Eternal Lurker
Post Likes: 43
+
I don't watch that much youtube anymore, I focus a bit more on making my own content :p
There isn't anyone that I don't like really since I just avoid subbing to those people.

Rage [VG] Posted: 10:39 Dec12 2012 Post ID: 3181568
Rage [VG]
Post Likes: 0
+
I also am focusing on my own content, but I also watch loads of LPers daily. NorthernLion, ChaoticMonki, Pewdiepie, MangaMinx... basically the horror/indie LPers.
pwnthemonkeys Posted: 13:36 Dec12 2012 Post ID: 3181672
pwnthemonkeys
Village idiot
Post Likes: 5
+
A majority of what I watch is let's players. Two best friends play, Pokecapn, Retsuprae, Freelance astronauts, Medibot. Mostly SA lpers because they've proven that for the most part they're the best.

I am also subscribed to Mega64 and their own personal channels; Edatlin, Bentlyma, Hot diggedy demon, and Lazy pillow for humor.

My favorites are Mega64, Bentlyma, and TBFP.

My hated:

Pewdiepie. Screaming and yelling because there was a jump scare is not funny and is clearly something he fakes to keep all of his subscribers entertained, also he's pretty stupid leaving a good university to lp full time. Hell one of the rules in lping is that you don't take it seriously because it's a bloody hobby. What an idiot.
Actually, everyone who does let's plays to make money or internet fame I hate because chances are they're not what a let's player should be.

All of the blog people who are not Mrchicity, they need kill themselves, you know why mrchicity is good? Because he shows you what he does and it's not boring like most of these people who lie to the camera to get youtube views.

RWJ. Jump cuts, jump cuts everywhere. People started copying his jump cuts. He also lack creativity. It's not his fault too, it's everyone who watches him. People just want to watch something regularly on a schedule instead of waiting for something good, because dear god they would have to use the search bar and spend five minutes looking for something better.
There was a sig here, it's gone now.
steelersrock01 Posted: 14:45 Dec12 2012 Post ID: 3181720
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Right now I really only watch Tobuscus and chuggaaconroy.
sphynxx Posted: 23:29 Dec12 2012 Post ID: 3182019
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
I'm subscribed to about 50 people.

Mostly CoD uploaders. Usually those with the more informative commentaries. Not necessarily with ones about the game, but who use the game as a backdrop to other kids of commentaries, as well as game related commentaries. (Like Woodysgamertag)

Some for CoD; Zombies as well.

But others like two vloggers I follow; Piddleas and Hailedabear - Just random, and sometimes not so random, vlogs.

Some music channels (whether it's just uploaders of stuff that's hard for me in NZ to get my hands on through iTunes etc) or the musicians/bands themselves. Like Voicians, Celldweller, Vahtang etc.

And some other channels like Drive, V8Supercarsofficial.

Oh, and ThePhillipDeFrancoShow - he's actually quite a good watch too.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
bowow Posted: 05:24 Dec13 2012 Post ID: 3182138
bowow
The Lizard King
+
Half of the people you guys have said ever never heard of before. Anxious

I enjoy watching NerdCubed, WoodysGamertag (mainly the Mail Mondays), Smosh, The Fine Brothers and a few others. I don't have a YouTube account but thanks to the PS Vita it's makes it so easy with the YouTube app Evil

KSI gets on my nerves sometimes, especially when he completely over reacts to something which is probably his way of keeping people "entertained". Syndicate's voice just bores the hell out of me.

Blurred Voice said:Female, you just stick a blunt object in your fun hole and nothing comes of it. Man, you grab your pork stick and send little ghost looking things from a Mario game everywhere.
sphynxx Posted: 05:41 Dec13 2012 Post ID: 3182144
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
Yeah, ever since Syndicate reached +200K subs, his content has deteriorated quite badly. I've been around syndicates channel since before 50K subs, and his content from about his 50K sub to 200K marks was probably his best.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
bowow Posted: 07:57 Dec13 2012 Post ID: 3182221
bowow
The Lizard King
+
I've only seen his recent Zombies stuff and a couple of his vlogs and they just irritate the crap out of me

mini_mario Posted: 21:06 Dec13 2012 Post ID: 3182663
mini_mario
Post Likes: 3
+
Youtubers have lost their "edge", if you want to call it that. I remember like about 3 or 4 years ago most of the famous youtubers would be dedicated to their fans and videos, now they're mostly sell-outs.

avatar credit to Trainer Saphire
signature credit to Layne
Rage [VG] Posted: 06:59 Dec14 2012 Post ID: 3182817
Rage [VG]
+
pwnthemonkeys said:Actually, everyone who does let's plays to make money or internet fame I hate because chances are they're not what a let's player should be.

A LPer is merely someone who plays games and puts it on the internet. Nowhere in that does it say you shouldn't earn money from it, nor does that imply that you can't earn money from it and enjoy it.

I honestly hope you're not one of those people who thinks that simply because someone's making a living from it, it immediately becomes purely about money and literally nothing else matters. There are a load of LPers who could easily just hop on the "HUEHUE MINECRAFT LOLOL BO2 GAMEPLAY" train to take advantage of their viewer base, but instead they actually play the games they want to play, or that the community wants them to play.

Besides, you're telling me if you had 2,000,000+ people who will watch whatever **** you throw at them and you get PAID for it, you wouldn't take advantage of that? He earns like $10m a year doing it. If he's actually able to do it, kudos to him.

I was subscribed to Pewds ever since his first run-through of Penumbra. Before all of the screaming and "staged reactions". It was enjoyable to hear him talking his way through it, you can tell he's genuinely terrified. Also, it's hard not to have to fake reactions when literally every comment is like "DO MOAR AMNESIAAAAAAA!" and everything else is like "STOP PLAYING THIS GAME UR COPYING BLABLABLA". I don't even go to his channel for his horror games any more. I go for his Co-ops with Cry.

I'm not mindlessly going to defend him, either. I really don't like how he overdoes a lot of things. In more or less any horror game, half of it is being spent picking up and naming inanimate objects. When he did it with Stephano, it was because he was terrified and lost and Stephano actually did something for him; it gave him something to talk to and calm his nerves. Piggy practically saved him by glitching out, sending him flying. When he starts giving everything names (Mr Chair/mr stool, etc), it loses its humor.

when he's playing Happy Wheels, he spends most of the time making homoerotic statements with the little boy, or hating the little boy as the father. He'll replay the same map over and over and over just to **** around on the same part.
pwnthemonkeys Posted: 16:39 Dec14 2012 Post ID: 3183064
pwnthemonkeys
Village idiot
+
I'm not saying that someone who's making money from it doesn't deserve it, but it's the people with the mind set to make the money or to be famous before they even make their first video are likely the ones who are most likely going to be the least entertaining.
I've seen several people that do that. Hell one of them posted their channel on this board.

I'm just saying that there should be a minimum skill requirement to let's playing.
1. Have you completed this game more than once?
2. Do you like the game?
3. Can you provide any commentary about the game and not about yourself?
4. Do you have recording equipment that isn't hypercam or doesn't make the thing look like it was recorded from a 90's camera?
5. Do you know how to edit?
There's a lot of people that barely have two of these things.
Rage [VG] Posted: 06:51 Dec22 2012 Post ID: 3186965
Rage [VG]
+
pwnthemonkeys said:I'm not saying that someone who's making money from it doesn't deserve it, but it's the people with the mind set to make the money or to be famous before they even make their first video are likely the ones who are most likely going to be the least entertaining.
I've seen several people that do that. Hell one of them posted their channel on this board.

I'm just saying that there should be a minimum skill requirement to let's playing.
1. Have you completed this game more than once?
2. Do you like the game?
3. Can you provide any commentary about the game and not about yourself?
4. Do you have recording equipment that isn't hypercam or doesn't make the thing look like it was recorded from a 90's camera?
5. Do you know how to edit?
There's a lot of people that barely have two of these things.

I'm not sure what you mean by #1. Is it better or worse if you've completed the game before? For me, I consider any run for the first time a "Playthrough" and any run afterwards a "Walkthrough"
Points 2-5 make perfect sense, however. I would pass on 2-5 on most of the games I plan to LP (In that I love them, I can talk about the game, I record with FRAPS, and I know a decent amount of editing with Vegas), and I'd still go into it with an attempt to earn some money on it. Not saying that's WHY I'd do it, but if I'm able to, there's no real reason not to.
Goemon Posted: 15:38 Dec22 2012 Post ID: 3187158
Goemon
+
I'm subscribed to Rev3Games because that's where Adam Sessler does gaming talk now. Haven't found anything else worth clogging up my Youtube page for.

"A TRUE MAN NEVER DIES, EVEN WHEN HE'S KILLED!"
superbird5005 Posted: 22:19 Dec22 2012 Post ID: 3187272
superbird5005
Shawn the Supreme
+
Epic Meal Time. I want them to be my personal chefs.
badass
Hatershateme is forever bae
IT'S SPELLED Shawn

pwnthemonkeys Posted: 02:12 Dec23 2012 Post ID: 3187353
pwnthemonkeys
Village idiot
+
Rage [VG said:]
pwnthemonkeys said: Words

I'm not sure what you mean by #1. Is it better or worse if you've completed the game before? For me, I consider any run for the first time a "Playthrough" and any run afterwards a "Walkthrough"
Points 2-5 make perfect sense, however. I would pass on 2-5 on most of the games I plan to LP (In that I love them, I can talk about the game, I record with FRAPS, and I know a decent amount of editing with Vegas), and I'd still go into it with an attempt to earn some money on it. Not saying that's WHY I'd do it, but if I'm able to, there's no real reason not to.

I believe that doing a blind lp is bad considering that a lot of people don't edit out their runs. I've seen some lpers just throw up their failed runs sometimes with three failed videos before making it pass what they were stuck in; others just decide to make their video longer by keeping those in. Those are not entertaining.

Also a lp shouldn't be considered as a walkthrough, I could do another lp right now and I don't have to 100% because I just want to show you what I like about the game and not waste your time with me collecting crap.

You can make money from it and I wouldn't care as long as you are entertaining, like two best friends play. I just feel that once you start making money you'll have to follow the youtube rules in making money which is keep a schedule and have people comment, like, and subscribe. That doesn't sound like fun, I would very much like churning out sessions/parts on my own time.
Rage [VG] Posted: 14:04 Dec27 2012 Post ID: 3189352
Rage [VG]
+
pwnthemonkeys said:

I believe that doing a blind lp is bad considering that a lot of people don't edit out their runs. I've seen some lpers just throw up their failed runs sometimes with three failed videos before making it pass what they were stuck in; others just decide to make their video longer by keeping those in. Those are not entertaining.

True, however a good game is one that gives you that immense feeling when you go through it for that first time, experiencing everything first-hand. And so far more or less everyone I see who do blind LPs skip or fast-forward the boring parts (Pewdie fades between parts, chaoticmonki cuts to black, GameGrumps do some fast-forwarding with them singing a song over it)

Spoiler:
click to reveal

Also, I said I mostly watch Horror LPs. If they have played the game, they won't be scared, and that takes out more or less all of the enjoyment. (I know you are talking about LPs in general, however I don't watch those so I can't really say much on them)

pwnthemonkeys said:You can make money from it and I wouldn't care as long as you are entertaining, like two best friends play. I just feel that once you start making money you'll have to follow the youtube rules in making money which is keep a schedule and have people comment, like, and subscribe. That doesn't sound like fun, I would very much like churning out sessions/parts on my own time.

No, there are quite a few YouTubers who upload whenever they want, as often as they want (Like Cr1tikal) and they do fine. You don't have to be constant with your schedule, but it's more beneficial to the YouTuber if he is, because then people know when they can expect a vid from you, and go and look there before anywhere else because they know it's there.

Same goes for asking for likes and subs. I feel it's perfectly fine for you to say things like "Subscribe so you know when the next part comes out" or "Like this video if you like the ideas/content" or something similar, because that is the whole point of subscribing/liking. When people say "Subscribe because it's free" or "Leave a like because you're sexy", it's retarded. They're basically saying "There's nothing in this video or on my channel to appeal to you, but do it anyway because I asked nicely." There's people who don't even ask for likes or subs at all. ChaoticMonki just says "Take it easy." at the end of his LPs, as well as information about the game he just played (Publisher, what platforms, etc). The reason for this is because he doesn't have to ask. The video is so entertaining and enjoyable, it would be unnecessary for him to ask. If you go onto any 30 minute ChaoticMonki video like 5 or 10 minutes after it comes out, it'll have hundreds of likes. People just know what to expect from him and he never fails to deliver, because he enjoys doing it and it's what he does best.

« Last edited by Rage [VG] on Dec 27th 2012 »
pwnthemonkeys Posted: 05:07 Jan06 2013 Post ID: 3195695
pwnthemonkeys
Village idiot
+
Take a look at blind runs of The Walking Dead. You can see how emotionally attached they were to the story, the anguish when something bad happens, how they cried at the end. You will never see that in a run from someone who knows what's gonna happen.

I see your point, but also I want to point out that I've played my favorite games 20 times over and there are still parts that still get me teary eyed, ****** off, happy, and everything else in between. I feel that I would rather see someone be competent and informative than to see someone fail several times say nothing and have a cry or laugh at the end of the video, and seeing that a lot of people who wanna do what the popular people do, they might exaggerate that.

Also, I said I mostly watch Horror LPs. If they have played the game, they won't be scared, and that takes out more or less all of the enjoyment. (I know you are talking about LPs in general, however I don't watch those so I can't really say much on them)

I'm subscribed a horror lper and he doesn't freak out on every single thing. He hasn't played some of the game he's lped prior to making one. He doesn't freak out because he knows the tricks that lazy AAA devs do. You would think that people who do horror games end up getting less scared over time.

The video is so entertaining and enjoyable, it would be unnecessary for him to ask. If you go onto any 30 minute ChaoticMonki video like 5 or 10 minutes after it comes out, it'll have hundreds of likes. People just know what to expect from him and he never fails to deliver, because he enjoys doing it and it's what he does best.

But now that's sending a false message. It seems that his fans just like him because he uploaded a video. Did those people watch the entire thing and found it was entertaining or informative?

Before we start having a great debate or whatever, what are your thoughts on lpers who lp a game that just came out? I've seen several do it day one on the game's release.

« Last edited by pwnthemonkeys on Jan 6th 2013 »
Rage [VG] Posted: 23:48 Jan07 2013 Post ID: 3196852
Rage [VG]
+
pwnthemonkeys said:
Before we start having a great debate or whatever, what are your thoughts on lpers who lp a game that just came out? I've seen several do it day one on the game's release.

I don't watch them, if it's a game I intend to get. I watched GhostRobo's Catherine walkthrough and I believe that was on launch. I also don't bother if it's just "Oh hey this game just came out so I wanna play it", because there's no real interest in the game, and they end up not completing it (And GhostRobo is a big example of this. He has 4 or 5 videos where the subject is "I'm sorry for unfinished walkthroughs, give me another chance and I'll try to change" yet he still plays every game that comes out from almost every genre).

If it's "Hey, this is a game I've been anticipating for a while, let's play it", I'm down for it.
kamon36 Posted: 05:09 Jan14 2013 Post ID: 3199457
kamon36
The Dead Philosopher
Forum GuestMember
+
Gaming Channels:
TotalHalibut
OMFGcata
Game Grumps
Continue?
AngryJoeShow
YogscastYlana
JonTron
PeanutButterGamer

Non-Gaming:
Epic Meal Time
Nice Peter
ERB
V-Sauce
TheIdeaChannel
Egoraptor
RubberRoss
This moniker is a shadow of the past.
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close