Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Discussion: Outer Space

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 16
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 14 | 15 | Last     Next
Keyblade21 Posted: 06:33 Sep22 2013 Post ID: 3274851
Keyblade21
Post Likes: 323
+
For all you know-it-all people out there, I have a question.

Is Outer Space infinite? If not, how did scientists determine this?

Also, do you think that one day humans will populate other planets besides earth?

Just a few of my questions anyways.

Feel free to discuss and ask questions of your own.

Avy & Sig credits go to Hurricane0

Want to join in the chat? Head over to General Chat
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Chikablam Posted: 10:49 Sep22 2013 Post ID: 3274876
Chikablam
Post Likes: 24
+
As far as I'm aware, space is not infinite, but it's still expanding from the big bang, and it's expanding quick enough for it to be practically infinite, as we cant reach the edges.
We know it's expanding due to the Doppler effect. As you know, sound travels in waves, and the pitch of a noise depends on the frequency. Imagine an ambulance driving towards you. It emits a sound, which travels to you, and you hear the noise. Then it emits the sound again, but because its travelling towards you, its a bit closer. As such, it arrives a bit sooner than the last one, and the frequency appears to increase. As such, it sounds a higher pitch. The same thing happens when its travelling away from you, except in reverse. This is the Doppler effect.
As light is also a wave, it also experiences the Doppler effect, except with light, changing frequencies changes the colour. A low frequency gives red. By examining far off galaxies, we have noticed a very distinct red tint, showing us that they are accelerating away from us, and fast.

As for living on another planet, I really doubt it. Astronauts can only stay in space for a few months, before they start experiencing major problems due to the lack of gravity, and to get anywhere habitable would take us many, many years. About the closest thing I've thought of is getting a load of eggs and sperm, loading them onto a ship, and sending them off. Then when they reach the planet, the sperm and eggs are mixed, and then the babies are looked after by robots. And even then, the idea is ridiculous.
Unless of course we master wormholes, but I know very little about that
Formerly
Warrior13 Posted: 16:28 Sep22 2013 Post ID: 3274952
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Too bad the big bang isn't real.

When it comes to space being infinite, I don't really know. I don't think it really matters if it is or isn't. It's not like we have the technology to explore to see if it is or isn't infinite.

I don't think we will ever begin to live on another planet. I think it's God plan to start with the earth and end it all on the earth.
KingofCorn Posted: 00:38 Sep23 2013 Post ID: 3274998
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
Post Likes: 615
+
I agree with Warrior. But I think that one day (not in my lifetime) we may have people living on Mars.
Warrior13 Posted: 07:53 Sep23 2013 Post ID: 3275059
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
How can we live on Mars when there are aliens there? jk XD
KingofCorn Posted: 13:15 Sep23 2013 Post ID: 3275118
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Someday we will make a way to recycle air indefinitely.
Chikablam Posted: 16:36 Sep24 2013 Post ID: 3275332
Chikablam
+
Warrior13 said:Too bad the big bang isn't real.

Any proof to back up such a definite and confident claim?

KingofCorn said:
Someday we will make a way to recycle air indefinitely.

Trees.

« Last edited by Chikablam on Sep 24th 2013 »
Formerly
KingofCorn Posted: 16:40 Sep24 2013 Post ID: 3275335
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Hmmm well there's this
Dark Breloom Posted: 18:12 Sep24 2013 Post ID: 3275347
Dark Breloom
Post Likes: 95
+
Funny how you think Christianity is the only religion

Also funny how you're mixing religion and science
KingofCorn Posted: 18:41 Sep24 2013 Post ID: 3275349
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
The Bible is just the oldest record of the worlds creation. God's creation.
Warrior13 Posted: 08:37 Sep25 2013 Post ID: 3275499
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Breloom: No one said anything about Christianity being the only religion. That's ridiculous. And I'd like for you to tell me how it's mixing religion and science? The Bible is a historic document that does indeed describe historical events.

Chikablam: Well, corn took the words right out of month. XD But seriously, the Big Bang Theory is just such a ridiculous scienctific theory about the creation of the universe. It makes zero sense. How did the Universe just exist? Nothing can just exist except God. And I find it hard to believe that the Universe, that somehow always existed, somehow made energy that later converted into subatomic particles because it was extremely hot and cooled very rapidly. It's a nonsense theory that was created as a substitute to God creating the Universe. Nonsense.
KingofCorn Posted: 12:08 Sep25 2013 Post ID: 3275527
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Let's not forget that it's just a THEORY.
Chikablam Posted: 15:14 Sep27 2013 Post ID: 3275894
Chikablam
+
Warrior13 said:
The Bible is a historic document that does indeed describe historical events.

A historic document that describes historical events does not mean that it is accurate and true.
By that logic, literally any historic fiction is true, simply because it includes actual historic facts.

Warrior13 said:
Chikablam: Well, corn took the words right out of month. XD But seriously, the Big Bang Theory is just such a ridiculous scienctific theory about the creation of the universe. It makes zero sense. How did the Universe just exist? Nothing can just exist except God. And I find it hard to believe that the Universe, that somehow always existed, somehow made energy that later converted into subatomic particles because it was extremely hot and cooled very rapidly. It's a nonsense theory that was created as a substitute to God creating the Universe. Nonsense.

I will admit, I know very little of the actual theory behind the Big Bang, so I can't discuss specifics, however simply calling it nonsense while blindly backing up creationism is a bit illogical.
Why does the idea of the universe being created out of nowhere and progress by itself from there make less sense then a supreme entity creating it all, then sticking around for a few thousand years, trying to make us better people while not actually doing anything?
Not to mention the fact that the book that you're taking it all from is thousands of years old, has had many, many, many opportunities for mistranslations, and includes passages such as
Deuteronomy 28:53 said:
You shall eat the fruit of your own body, the flesh of your sons and your daughters whom the Lord your God has given you

2 Kings 2:23-24 said:
Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, ?Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!?

So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the Lord. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

And of course:

Ezekiel 23:19-20 said:
Yet she multiplied her harlotry
In calling to remembrance the days of her youth,
When she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt.
20 For she lusted for her paramours,
Whose flesh is like the flesh of donkeys,
And whose issue is like the issue of horses.

The notions in the Big Bang might seem ridiculous, but as far as our knowledge goes, it's the most scientifically plausible start for the universe, whether you want to believe in it or not

KingofCorn said:Let's not forget that it's just a THEORY.

Gravity is just a theory.
Formerly
KingofCorn Posted: 16:57 Sep27 2013 Post ID: 3275903
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
I'm gonna let Warrior13 handle the rebuttal as I am tired of arguing with stubborn evolutionists.
steelersrock01 Posted: 17:02 Sep27 2013 Post ID: 3275907
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
I'm going to keep out of this, just a reminder to remain civil.

However, I think it's a bit odd to completely and absolutely deny the Big Bang because there's no evidence for it, and to fully support creationism when there's no concrete natural evidence for it either.
KingofCorn Posted: 17:06 Sep27 2013 Post ID: 3275909
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Oh not you too. How about sea shell fossils on the top of mountains? The chariots at the bottom of the Red Sea? All explainable through the Bible.
Chikablam Posted: 17:27 Sep27 2013 Post ID: 3275917
Chikablam
+
Thunder and lightning, lakes, comets, can all be explained by scientific methods.
However, all are also explainable through myths dreamt up by ancient civilizations.
Surprisingly enough, people move about, and things end up in places they're not expected.
Formerly
KingofCorn Posted: 18:07 Sep27 2013 Post ID: 3275920
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
The sea shell fossils are on the tops of mountains because of the great flood.
steelersrock01 Posted: 18:13 Sep27 2013 Post ID: 3275921
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
KingofCorn said:The sea shell fossils are on the tops of mountains because of the great flood.

http://evolutionwiki.org/wi..._a_flood
1.Seashell fossils in a mountainous region may be explained by tectonic activity: the land previously was beneath the sea, but the shifting and grinding of the plates could have raised the seabed above the water. Mountains could have formed afterwards due to further plate activity. This is why seashells are found mostly inside the mountain, not simply on it as if they were deposited there. They were laid down in layers under water before the mountains were mountains in the first place.

2.Even if all the ice on Earth melted, there is not enough water on the planet to submerge the highest mountains.

3.If fossil seashells were deposited on mountains due to a global flood, then they would be badly damaged due to severe water turbulence, and, if the shells comprised of more than one component (i.e., brachiopods, or clams), the component pieces would be disarticulated and scattered far and wide. And as such, a global flood fails to explain why there are beds of fossil clams and brachiopods throughout the world, filled with intact, articulated individuals.

4.This contradicts another creationist claim: That High mountains were raised during the Flood. How exactly do shells get deposited on high mountains during the Flood, if the same Flood rose those exact same mountains at the same time?

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on Sep 27th 2013 »
KingofCorn Posted: 18:26 Sep27 2013 Post ID: 3275923
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
I don't know if I'm the right person to answer this.
Gen. 7:10-12 And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth. In the six hundredth year of Noah's life,in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.
So water came up from the ground and rained from the sky. It had nothing to do with melting ice.

« Last edited by KingofCorn on Sep 27th 2013 »
Displaying Page 1 of 16
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 14 | 15 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close