Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

3,000 Finally!

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 3 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Previous | Next
Matt77 Posted: 18:12 Feb05 2014 Post ID: 3303695
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Pipm17. I'm trying to get her to post in the General Chat.

« Last edited by Matt77 on Feb 5th 2014 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
KingofCorn Posted: 00:09 Feb06 2014 Post ID: 3303738
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
Post Likes: 615
+
Ha I tried clicking the blue part.
Matt77 Posted: 03:27 Feb06 2014 Post ID: 3303746
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Ugh, my post didn't submit.

I usually say members usernames with the colour corresponding to their status on SC. For example Dark Breloom, KingofCorn, Keyblade21 and testuser.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Novus Posted: 06:06 Feb06 2014 Post ID: 3303754
Novus
Post Likes: 72
+
Oh, yeah. I forgot there's a size limit on avatars. Definitely don't know what it is.
I do know that the dimensional limit is 100x100! :p
She can always find a picture she wants and then edit it to shrink it down, both size and dimensions. If she's not absolutely horrid with computers, just tell her to download GIMP or something similar.
Keyblade21 Posted: 06:16 Feb06 2014 Post ID: 3303755
Keyblade21
Post Likes: 323
+
She can also use the website resizepic.com if she can't or won't download GIMP or Photoshop.

Avy & Sig credits go to Hurricane0

Want to join in the chat? Head over to General Chat
KingofCorn Posted: 10:43 Feb06 2014 Post ID: 3303781
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
I just typed it differently I think.
steelersrock01 Posted: 15:50 Feb06 2014 Post ID: 3303802
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
If she can't right-click and paste, using CTRL+V should work instead. As far as I know, there's no file size limit on avatar, though excessively long GIFs are discouraged.
KingofCorn Posted: 16:35 Feb06 2014 Post ID: 3303810
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
I wonder how long mine is.
Novus Posted: 05:39 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3303901
Novus
+
So they removed the size limit on avatars, then?
I vaguely remember there being one for most of this website's life...
superman4u Posted: 10:04 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3303932
superman4u
Post Likes: 2
+
Sonic_Master, did you have a different name?

Ahh, I remember chasing posts like you haha. I was one of the first people on supercheats to receive 10,000 posts. Will not forget those days. It definitely is a shadow to what once was.

I can not believe they took down Graphics and Artworks section. That was probably my favorite section and one of the most active back then. What a shame. Hope SC returns one day to its former state.

Congrats by the way. You still got some time before you hit the 10k mark though. Wish you luck on that journey. :P

« Last edited by superman4u on Feb 7th 2014 »

PS Gamers Network - My new website, please contribute. Includes Wii and 360 Forums as well. http://z15.invisionfree.com/PS_Gamers_Network
Novus Posted: 10:42 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3303944
Novus
+
Saying it's a shadow of what it was is, sadly, a huge understatement. I can hardly say or believe that this is the same website as the Supercheats of 2005/2006. Even 2007 wasn't bad. Then it just kind of all went to crap. Especially the last four years...

They didn't necessarily take down the G&A section. All of those forums are merged into the General Chat forum. So you could still talk about G&A - ask for sigs/avys and whatever else. It'll just be in GC. And at present activity level, it's not like it'll get bumped off and not seen. :p

I'll never completely give up on this website - I've left multiple times, but always come back eventually. I find it very difficult to hope that it'll ever return to, or even close to, the activity and community it had back then... But the hope is still there.

10k posts is gonna take about 50 years in this forum.... xD
KingofCorn Posted: 11:04 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3303954
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Hey what would it take to bring this site back to it's former glory?
Novus Posted: 11:08 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3303955
Novus
+
Members. A reason to keep coming to the website. Updated site technology. Better organisation. More present-day relevancy. Maturity.

A decent, active community, really.
Novus Posted: 11:33 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3303959
Novus
+
I think I could literally write paragraphs about this.
I still remember the day of my first registration to this website. June 20, 2005. I had just finished my fifth year of school (elementary school). I was 11 years old.

The first two years I had an account here, I was visiting literally almost everyday. Not posting much though - Just because I was scared. "What if they don't like me" and whatever bullcrap. I started posting more, even made a couple of submissions. But then I left the site for a few months (Starting late '07) - Due to more personal reasons.

Came back mid-2008 with a new account. Started posting like crazy. Started submitting like crazy. But eventually left in late-2010/early-2011, just due to life. Reasons that a lot of people left for - School. Work. Friends. Family. Whatever it was. The site itself had been pretty declined by then, too. Staff was terrible. Forums were crap. Submissions were low quality. Nobody felt the need to stay here anymore. And social networking was definitely coming into the equation.

But I couldn't stay away for long. I came back in 2012, for about three months. I left so quickly just because the state of the site depressed me. Seeing the lack of any activity. I disliked a lot of the members that were active - Annoying, immature, dumb. And I just couldn't stand seeing a website that was such a big part of my life turn into... quite frankly... sht.

And now I'm back again. Because I had talked to Josh (sphynxx) on Facebook. He said he asked to leave the site. Gave his reasons. And it just... gave me an epiphany. I don't want this site to die. It's way too important to me. I made a lot of friends here - A lot of people that I still talk to consistently outside of Supercheats. I have insanely wonderful memories because of this website. Seeing it go downhill is not happy times. So I'd like to do whatever I can to bring it up to what it was. Or as close to. What I'm gonna do about it, though... I honestly have no idea. I'll think of something, I'm sure.

Anyway. There's my novel for the day. Stroll down memory lane. Glad to get it off my chest though.

Edit: I like that I started with "I could write paragraphs," and instantly followed up on that, without even realising it... xD

« Last edited by Novus on Feb 7th 2014 »
KingofCorn Posted: 12:05 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3303962
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
It could also use a little advertising.
Novus Posted: 12:13 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3303964
Novus
+
They need to get the site itself in order first, then advertise.
Why waste money on advertising a website that people will come to, look at, think "Ew" or "What a waste" and leave, never to come back?
Get the site in order so there's incentive for people to say, then advertise.

But in this day and age, there's not much point in advertising forums. They're generally such a dead type of community - especially a forum that seemingly focuses on game cheats, which aren't nearly as common as a decade ago.
steelersrock01 Posted: 18:19 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3304005
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
The main site is still active. The type of content submitted is just much different from when us older members first joined. The way I see it there are 3 main problems facing the site right now:

1) It isn't pleasing to the eye. There really needs to be a major layout overhaul. The anime-ish style just doesn't really work. It's cluttered and disorganized. I don't how I would change it, so maybe I shouldn't criticize, but it just doesn't look good. Everything needs to be more streamlined. Less clicking, less clutter.

2) Cheat codes aren't a thing anymore outside of GTA. The focus now is on Achievement/Trophy guides and regular game guides. And while the site has tried to gravitate towards that with our official game guides (which are excellent and a big step forward) and trophy/achievement user-submitted tips, it's just not enough. Wikis were also a good idea. But there's just no reason to come here for a guide or a wiki when you can spend one second googling and get a more complete guide or dedicated wiki.

3) Forums aren't popular anymore outside of 4chan, IGN, and reddit. There's not much to be done about that, sadly. Allowing guests to post was a step forward in activity, but it mostly resulted in bots and senseless posts filled with pleads for mobile game "gems" and smiley faces. Activity has picked up over the last year, from what I can see, mostly because of better (read: less) moderation, and more lax rules. Besides letting some things slide, there isn't much I can do personally to help boost activity.

I would love for the forums to be as active as they were back in 2007 when I first started moderating. It just isn't going to happen. I grew up on this site. It's gotten me through some times and allowed me to meet some great people. And I'll be here for the foreseeable future. If anybody has any ideas on how they could promote forum or main site activity you can let me know and I'll do my best.
Matt77 Posted: 19:20 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3304018
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Novus - You joined when you were 11? I got banned for joining when I was 12.

Steelers - You're right, the General Chat isn't organized well. The old layout (which I only saw briefly) was better because it had so many forums. I've also noticed that there are now more active members than early 2013. We've had KingofCorn, DanMarkLeader, Novus, albert wesker, and a few others come onto SC. Also superblooby, neptis, Invert Alpha, Ju Ju Man and a few others have made short returns to SC.

If you think about it, we still have heaps of active members in the forums & teams. Even though Google takes a few seconds, here in SuperCheats you can easily find out info about several games through 1 site. The site definitely isn't 'dead', it's just lost a vast amount of activity.

ViolinViolinViolin

Novus Posted: 20:00 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3304033
Novus
+
Yeah, I joined when I was 11. Didn't tell a single soul though. I thought somehow my mom would find out, and I'd have my ass handed to me. :p
The large amounts of forums we had before (I'm assuming you mean the old GC forums - Music, G&A, SCT, Books, etc.) would be improbably now, maybe even worse for the forums than the merged GC forum. The more forums there are like that, the more dead and empty the site looks. Now, because it's all in one, the forum won't look over half-empty.
I honestly don't see the heaps of active members in either forum. There are a few regular posters and the random people that drop in for a week at most. But heaps of active members? Nah... I guess I haven't done too much looking around the rest of the forums though, either...
--
But yes. The layout definitely needs a change. And a reorganisation. The old, old, OLD forums need to get archived. Submissions need to be gone through and sorted - there are still some complete crap subs on the site, along with some duplicates.

The only bad thing about being called "Supercheats" is that it looks like the site is dedicated only to cheating. And like you said, Mike, cheating isn't much of a 'thing' anymore. The only time people go back and play the games that have those kinds of cheats in them are ones doing it for nostalgia, and they aren't gonna wanna cheat anyway.

Sure, we have hints for individual games. But they're organised like crap, and are honestly just bullshit submissions anyway. In my opinion. The focus on Guides and Wikis is great - I think they're potentially the two most important things on the main site. But the execution was lame. I was active on the site when they added Guides, and I honestly didn't even know they were added, just due to lack of real talk about it. And when I just came back with this account, I didn't even notice that there were Wikis right away.

And there's a bonus. Looking at both the Guides and the Wikis, the first thing I think is "Where am I?" The organisation on both of them is horrendous, especially the Wikis. That needs to be fixed - Like I said, I feel like they're both going to be insanely important in getting this site (forums in particular) back up to activity.

Even just looking at the navigation bar... I can't believe the general layout of it hasn't changed at all for a decade. The appearance of it has changed, but it's always been the same. I think the biggest changes it has had are just... adding the 'Wiki' and 'Guide' likes, and grouping the consoles together by brand. Other than that, it's been the same since at least 2004 - Top row is consoles, bottom row is submissions.

I honestly think guest posting needs to be completely removed. It has always almost made the site look completely unprofessional and... almost 'dirty.' Anytime I see a guest post, it just makes me feel embarrassed. Some of the members' (few years ago, meaning) grammar was bad enough, but looked professional compared to some of the crap guests post...
KingofCorn Posted: 20:42 Feb07 2014 Post ID: 3304052
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
You lied about your age on the internet? You criminal! I've been pretty active since the first week I joined. My activity went down drastically when I lost internet.
Displaying Page 3 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close