Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Regarding discussion and debate topics

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
stormform Posted: 12:39 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312693
stormform
Eternal Lurker
Post Likes: 43
+
So the discussion in these topics is really starting to get out of hand. These "discussion and/or debate" topics are meant to be for sensible debates, following good manner, and the rules of arguing. What we're seeing now is most topics becoming mindless shouting contests where one side is just trying to shove their side with not actual debate going on at all.

Now it's quite obvious this needs to change, and there are a few ways to do it. One option of course would be to bring back the old D&D forums rules, which are quite strict and apply it to all D&D tagged topics. Now obviously that isn't something I'd like to do as that wouldn't be fun for anyone and would probably harm the amount of discussion that would actually happen, but if nothing changes, that may be something we have to do to preserve the debates as what they are, debates.
This is my proposal: You, the participants in these topics create your own rules, and abide them when posting in D&D topics. Those rules can be derived from the old D&D rules if you'd like, or you can create a completely new rule set, and then clear with the staff. We (staff) can also create one for you and then clear it with you.

Comment away.

PS. For clarity, Discussion and Debate topics are the ones tagged with either "Discussion" or "Debate" or a variant of them.

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
nightmare2 Posted: 18:55 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312787
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
Post Likes: 41
+
You know he will probably be back and make an even stupider or pointless comment...

I figure your suggestion is best. I wouldn't mind the old D&D rules but they probably would push away some people. So a few basic rules derived from the old D&D rules would be a better choice. No where near as strict but we would need the rules to seed out off-topic random posts and people from making small insignificant posts (regardless of what they are accessing SuperCheats with). Just to make sure the discussions or debates stay on topic and progress.
Sir Adam of Peridot Nightmares

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
KingofCorn Posted: 20:15 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312800
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
Post Likes: 615
+
[quoteby=nightmare2]You know he will probably be back and make an even stupider or pointless comment.../quote]

Shame

Now I don't know what the old rules were(link please). I will admit that the debates are getting off topic and ridiculous. If there were some rules things might run a little smoother which is a goal we need to work towards. For one debates must be mature(no I don't mean explicit) and people need to politely share their beliefs while politely disproving other people's beliefs(ok so that sounds bad but you get the idea). If we agree on some rules(pending my reading) I will gladly obey them or not participate.
Matt77 Posted: 04:49 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312850
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
KoC said:I will admit that the debates are getting off topic and ridiculous.

I wonder why?

KoC said:and people need to politely share their beliefs while politely disproving other people's beliefs

You haven't followed this rule in the past, so how will you follow it now?

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Novus Posted: 08:04 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312886
Novus
Post Likes: 72
+
KoC has neither impolitely shared his beliefs, nor has he impolitely disproved others'.
KoC is honestly never an impolite person.
Just posts a lot of, in my opinion, pointless crap. But he's far from rude.
KingofCorn Posted: 08:08 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312890
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Finally something nice. Another rule that should be to the consideration of debaters: No repeating topics. I think for a while God was debated way too often.

« Last edited by KingofCorn on Mar 29th 2014 »
Novus Posted: 08:35 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312907
Novus
+
There is definitely only one thread about the existence of god.
KingofCorn Posted: 08:40 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312913
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Yes but it has been brought up several times in other debates.
Novus Posted: 08:43 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312917
Novus
+
That's just the flow of conversation.
As long as there isn't consistent, long debates that aren't debating over the OP, it isn't a problem.
I think with the god thing, a lot of the random religion discussion in other threads was because of something you said anyway. xD
Chikablam Posted: 08:43 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312918
Chikablam
Post Likes: 24
+
Well religion is a large part of many people's lives, and is a large part of humanity in general, so of course it's going to be brought up a lot.
Formerly
KingofCorn Posted: 08:44 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312920
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
You know these debates are getting old.
Novus Posted: 08:49 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312926
Novus
+
What debates?
Are you saying there's a debate in this thread?
xD
KingofCorn Posted: 08:52 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312931
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Just debates in general. It keeps tearing friends apart.
Novus Posted: 08:56 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312935
Novus
+
Then don't make debate threads... You've made all of them, excluding the "Inventions" one, if that counts.
Or don't post in them, if you're afraid of 'tearing friendships apart.'
Which I haven't seen happen once, by the way. Unless you count the 'you and Matt' thing... xD
You're silly.
KingofCorn Posted: 09:10 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312951
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
I didn't start the invention debate. It was Warrior and Matt. The debates are all that's alive anymore.
Novus Posted: 09:24 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312964
Novus
+
I said 'excluding' the invention one. Which means not including. Which means I said you didn't make it. :p
I thought it was you and Matt. My bee.
Debates are interesting. I think the biggest deal with you is... misunderstanding. We're not trying to -attack- you or your opinions. We're expressing ours and arguing against yours. That's what a debate is.
Yes, we may be very blunt at times. But just keep that in mind. Don't take offense at it.
KingofCorn Posted: 09:32 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312976
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Then what about the "intervention"?
Novus Posted: 09:35 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312980
Novus
+
That's another misunderstanding of yours.
This place has always had a huge sense of sarcasm to it. And most of the active members now were also active back when there were a lot more posts, which meant a lot more sarcasm.
We're very blunt and very sarcastic.
Once again, don't take offense to it. That's just the posting style.
KingofCorn Posted: 10:15 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312988
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Ah I see.
steelersrock01 Posted: 14:41 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3313024
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Pinning this for now. I agree that something needs to do be done, and I like stormform's idea that the topic creator can set whatever rules they like within reason. If you want to have a super serious debate, that's fine, and if you want something a little more casual but still constructive, that's cool too. Just tag your thread with a debate/discussion tag and put your rules in the OP. If you aren't sure if a rule is okay or makes sense, run it by me or one of the other staff.

The old D&D rules are here if you want to take a look.
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close