Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Short & Meaningful Stories

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 7 | Last     Next
nightmare2 Posted: 14:10 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312732
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
Post Likes: 41
+
No this does not go to FF&RP, has nothing to do with that lonely place.
These are mini stories that each have meaning behind them, which I will tell to the readers because I know the because I wrote the stories. Which means there are wrong answers. Hopefully I will make them long enough to keep a certain someone from making posts in my thread. I prefer people who actually contribute to discussions to post in my threads.
So first off these aren't awesome well written stories, they are simple to get a point across. Don't bother me on the why you didn't describe the character more kind of stuff.

First Story
"You gotta quit, it isn't healthy for you." the boy says.
"Why should I quit? I love doing it, I enjoy it." I respond.
"So what? It is unhealthy for you, you are hurting your body by doing it. You need to stop."
"No I don't need to stop."
"Yes you do. It isn't healthy for you."
"But I enjoy doing it and I don't care that it isn't healthy, I love doing it."
"You don't love it, you are just addicted to it. You can't stop. That doesn't mean that you love it it just means you are addicted to it. And you need to quit." The boy presses on, "I know you think you like it but you don't, you are addicted to it and not thinking straightly."
"I am thinking perfectly straightly and I am not addicted to it, I choose to do it by my own choice. I even quite for two weeks. For two solid weeks I didn't do it, nor did I get close to."
"But you started back up again, I know you think you aren't but you are. You need help."
"I don't need help. I don't need to quit. I am not addicted." I respond for what seems like the hundredth time but no one ever seemed to listen. They all thought they were right. Why couldn't they understand that I did it because I enjoyed it and loved it? "I love it. No matter what you say I will not quit and that is my choice because I enjoy it."
"You need help, I have tried helping you but you aren't listening. I am your friend but you push me away. I know what is best for you and I know that you are addicted. I just want to help you, why won't you let me?"
"Because you don't want to help me, you don't listen to me either. You are not my friend, not anymore. A friend would understand."
"I am your friend and I understand that you need help, you are addicted, you are not thinking straight, and that you are hurting yourself by doing this."
Finally I had enough, "I don't care what you think, I know I am right. I love playing soccer and I don't care about my heart condition, I don't care that playing soccer is putting me in danger. I love the game I love playing it, I am NOT addicted to it. I make the choice fully aware of the consequences..."

Alright there is the story. So for those you have read it I have a question, what did you first think they were talking about? Also, what do you think is the point I am getting across?
Sir Adam of Peridot Nightmares

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
KingofCorn Posted: 14:50 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312741
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
Post Likes: 615
+
At first I thought something like well never mind. Then I thought drugs.

« Last edited by KingofCorn on Mar 28th 2014 »
stormform Posted: 16:28 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312758
stormform
Eternal Lurker
Post Likes: 43
+
It's really amazing how much you could change the meaning and theme of that whole story by changing a few words. Either way, I understand the allegory in it, or so I think. My first thought was alcohol, but I'm fairly certain that's what you were trying to do, after the end I realized what you're trying to get across though, or what I think it is at least, however, I'll leave it in my head for now and wait for other replies, I wanna hear them first.

I myself am horrible at writing anything like this, and usually when I try to write anything allegorically, I inadvertently make it blatantly obvious each time..

KingofCorn Posted: 16:57 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312761
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
I'm thinking of writing some more Batman comics. Well since they don't have pictures it's more like a script.
nightmare2 Posted: 19:14 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312790
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
+
stormform said:It's really amazing how much you could change the meaning and theme of that whole story by changing a few words. Either way, I understand the allegory in it, or so I think. My first thought was alcohol, but I'm fairly certain that's what you were trying to do, after the end I realized what you're trying to get across though, or what I think it is at least, however, I'll leave it in my head for now and wait for other replies, I wanna hear them first.

I myself am horrible at writing anything like this, and usually when I try to write anything allegorically, I inadvertently make it blatantly obvious each time..

Yeah, when I was writing it even I was amazed. I knew what I was doing but still it was weird at the end. Writing it did prove difficult, I used 'it' but I wasn't sure how well that would work out and I tried not to say anything that might give away what I was or wasn't talking about.

And take your time with the questions. The first question I hope is easy enough to get but I'm not sure how well I wrote it for that to happen. The second however I do hope is a little harder. I'd like to get people to think a little about the meanings behind my stories, whether blatantly obvious or not. So for now I will wait on answering the meaning question maybe wait for a few more responses. Either way I will be posting other stories up on here.

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
Matt77 Posted: 19:44 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312796
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
The 2 people are talking about quitting smoking. The main character is addicted and the other character (who initially after reading the first few lines of the story I thought was the main character) is trying to get the main character to quit. Let's call the main character Ben and the other Josh. Josh is trying so hard to get Ben to quit but Ben isn't listening. He is addicted, he is trapped. And from the ending of the story, I think he will never get out of the terrible trap of addiction.

I believe Ben is addicted to smoking but it could be alcohol, drugs etc. Whatever it is, the story still has the same meaning. I think the point you are getting around is that people that are addicted are trapped and it is so difficult to get them out of addiction. It would be even more difficult if you were quitting alone.

If my answers are wrong, correct me but these are my initial ideas. (in other posts you can make up different names for the characters or keep the same names)

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
nightmare2 Posted: 20:27 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312802
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
+
Matt77 said:The 2 people are talking about quitting smoking. The main character is addicted and the other character (who initially after reading the first few lines of the story I thought was the main character) is trying to get the main character to quit. Let's call the main character Ben and the other Josh. Josh is trying so hard to get Ben to quit but Ben isn't listening. He is addicted, he is trapped. And from the ending of the story, I think he will never get out of the terrible trap of addiction.

I believe Ben is addicted to smoking but it could be alcohol, drugs etc. Whatever it is, the story still has the same meaning. I think the point you are getting around is that people that are addicted are trapped and it is so difficult to get them out of addiction. It would be even more difficult if you were quitting alone.

If my answers are wrong, correct me but these are my initial ideas. (in other posts you can make up different names for the characters or keep the same names)

I feel so bad when i say you are very wrong. I understand where you are coming from as I hear that kind of response a lot when talking about drugs and addiction but no that is not correct.

1) What did you first think they were talking about?
These answers can varying, I would hope your original assumption was about someone addicted to drugs and the other person trying to 'help' them. Something along those lines.

2) What do you think is the point I am getting across?
At the end of the story I reveal to you, the readers, that the two people are talking about soccer. "it" was soccer. Now I meant for people to think that it was about drugs. I meant for this because I wanted to make a point of something.
People who play soccer do it out of a choice and probably because they love the game. They aren't addicted to it in the way in which they cannot physically stop playing. They are addicted to it because they enjoy it and they play it because they choose to. They very well could stop playing and quit but if they started back up again no one would say, "Oh they did that because they were addicted and couldn't help but go back." No people say they went back because they enjoyed the game.
So firstly I am making the point that some people ARE NOT addicted to drugs, that some people choose to smoke cigarettes or weed because they enjoy it or it relaxes them. Ant that them quitting but then suddenly going back isn't because they are physcially addicted but because they want to. Not need to but want too.
Secondly I am looking at the common saying "Don't be a quitter." Which I am sure we have all heard before in our lives. Teachers and parents always tell us don't be a quitter and that quitters get no where in life but then they turn around and say 'You need to quit this'. Basically they use quitting at their own convenience and contradict themselves. They also force their opinions on others when regarding smoking or alcohol. They seem to think that they are always right. That these people who drink or smoke are doing it not out of choice but out of an uncontrollable need.

I'm not saying that everyone who drinks or smokes does it out of a choice. Some people are addicted and cannot stop. But then again some people smoke tobacco or weed by choice. I smoke cigarettes every now and then because they relax me, help relieve stress. And if I smoke weed it is because I enjoy doing so. Some people are addicted and do need help yes, but then again some people are not addicted and do not need help. They are aware of any and all consequences and make the choice.

KingofCorn Posted: 20:53 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312805
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
So much bold. Ok I just wrote two long posts so this one is gonna be short. I believe E Cigs are better for you. Some people need to quit(police negotiators try to make this point to criminals). Did you write this to get a debate going?

« Last edited by KingofCorn on Mar 28th 2014 »
nightmare2 Posted: 21:04 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312808
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
+
Not really. I don't mind if you do discuss a little among yourselves but I would like if you keep it to the minimum. I started these more just to get you guys to kind of think a little more on what I am saying. Like in this example about how people automatically assume if you smoke then that means you are addicted and need help. I will pretty much have the same two questions for each story and I'd be fine with you guys discussing the possible meaning behind a story before I give you my intended meaning.

KingofCorn Posted: 21:18 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312813
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Watch any pre 60s movie EVERYONE SMOKES. It's not always an addition. Back then it was just popular. My neighbors are chain smokers so their house smells awful. The primary things I have against smoking is it's unhealthy and it smells awful. I don't judge smokers though.
Matt77 Posted: 05:14 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312855
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Nightmare - I thought Ben was using soccer as an example. Now that I think about it, the answer was obvious, I was just over thinking it.
I said:Josh is trying so hard to get Ben to quit but Ben isn't listening.

Nightmare said:I would hope your original assumption was about someone addicted to drugs and the other person trying to 'help' them. Something along those lines.

Josh said:"You gotta quit, it isn't healthy for you."

Josh said:"So what? It is unhealthy for you, you are hurting your body by doing it. You need to stop."

How is soccer unhealthy?

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Novus Posted: 08:13 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312892
Novus
Post Likes: 72
+
Matt. It says right in the story. He has a heart condition. Soccer has a lot of cardio - It'd be a lot of wear and stress on an unhealthy heart.

@Nightmare - I'd like to point out that different people could get different meanings and 'morals' out of your stories. This one, as an example, had almost the same meaning to me as what your 'answer' post says, though partially different.
So, depending on different situations, there could be different meanings.

@Everyone - And because of ^that,^ I definitely encourage people to discuss the meanings of Nightmare's stories, based on what it means to you.
Let's have a fun, "get to know each other" thread. *Flowers and rainbows and smiles*

@Nightmare, again - Definitely appreciate this thread. I look forward to reading more shortystories.
KingofCorn Posted: 08:18 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312898
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Won't a get to know you thread get closed for not having much of a topic? If not then by all means let's start one immediately.
Novus Posted: 08:45 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312921
Novus
+
A thread called "Get to know you" would probably not last long.
I meant it more as a kind of joke.

Just saying it would be a good idea to discuss the potential differences in how a story means to everyone. Because it's a forum, and forums are for discussion.
It would just end up causing us to "get to know each other" better.
KingofCorn Posted: 08:51 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312929
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Yeah but it seems that discussions keep turning into arguments.
Novus Posted: 08:54 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312933
Novus
+
Well. In that case, we should all just stop posting?
KingofCorn Posted: 09:07 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312950
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
No we should post nicer.
Novus Posted: 09:22 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312963
Novus
+
I haven't seen many posts here that would be considered 'mean.'

I think, if you'd like to continue talking about this, we should move it to a less-serious thread. One that already has an off-topic discussion. Or to messages. I'd like to keep this thread on-topic, as it interests me.

Sorry Nightmare. :p
KingofCorn Posted: 09:28 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312970
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Ok this will be my last off topic post here. I'm all for messaging it's just for some reason using SC messages is very difficult on mobile. That's why I suggested Kik.

Sorry nightmare2
nightmare2 Posted: 15:48 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3313034
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
+
Well since you both apologized I guess it is alright.

Novus said:@Nightmare - I'd like to point out that different people could get different meanings and 'morals' out of your stories. This one, as an example, had almost the same meaning to me as what your 'answer' post says, though partially different.
So, depending on different situations, there could be different meanings.

Well if I learned one thing from all those English classes and reading assignments the only meaning that ever matters is the author's and not the reader's interpretation. That being said you are free to interpret how you want. Your answers can be as different from my intended meaning it doesn't matter, what does matter is that after reading the story and my intended meaning is that it makes you think about the topic. Makes you dive into all the little technicalities that exist in society; in our general held opinions, our morals, our terms of right and wring, and that sort of stuff. I already have a few more story ideas ready to write up. Just waiting and trying to figure how I am going to do it.

In the meantime feel free to discuss among yourselves the story and your interpretations and most importantly my answer. For this story I am talking about how some people aren't actually addicted to what they are doing in a "need" type of way. They choose to do it out of a want based on their own enjoyment of it. Whether that is a sport like soccer or drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco.

Displaying Page 1 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 7 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close