Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Profanity and Intelligence

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

nightmare2 Posted: 19:56 May30 2014 Post ID: 3321054
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
Post Likes: 41
+
So the main reason I am starting this topic is because I am honestly curious about your thoughts on this. I recently, a few hours ago, got into a conversation (more of an argument) with my school's head principle over this because he overheard me saying the F word while talking to a friend.
He claims that only unintelligent people use profanity and that profanity, no matter how it is used, is always negative.
Now I claim that usage of profanity has nothing to do with intelligence.
According to him Intelligence is when you apply learned knowledge or skills.
Conveniently for him he completely ignored my bringing up of my friend's dad who uses profanity and happens to be a brain surgeon as well as my uncle who is a college professor who uses profanity and teaches courses like Continuous Functions, Advanced Calculus, and Analysis [Complex / Real].

So my general opinion is that profanity has no direct link to intelligence, profanity itself is neither negative or positive instead is neutral and dependent on context.
Also the reason I actually argued with my head principle is because I really dislike him. He is a complete d-bag.
Sir Adam of Peridot Nightmares

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
KingofCorn Posted: 20:12 May30 2014 Post ID: 3321057
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
Post Likes: 615
+
That last sentence. But anyway the origins of most profanity stem from sexual slang. This slang has become a part of many people's vocabulary. It adds let's say "character" to a sentence. From what I have witnessed less educated people (in this case rednecks) use profanity in larger amounts than the more educated people I know. I also see age playing a factor. Teens swear a lot more than adults older than 45. Now the birthplace and upbringing also play a factor. A person who grew up in a "inner city" household may have picked up more profanity at an earlier age than someone who grew up in say a religious farmhouse. But good ******* question.

« Last edited by KingofCorn on May 30th 2014 »
Dark Breloom Posted: 21:15 May30 2014 Post ID: 3321068
Dark Breloom
Post Likes: 95
+
im telling you that supervisor is a hypocrite and probably uses profanity every day

the american school system is terrible, absolutely horrible

intelligence =/= profanity
superblobby Posted: 23:20 May30 2014 Post ID: 3321074
superblobby
Please Don't Stop The Banter
Post Likes: 21
+
I think frequent use of profanity does more or less have a baring of how mature you come across...

But to measure intelligence of the use of profanity? Get ******, mate.
England; time setters for the entire world.
steelersrock01 Posted: 20:42 May31 2014 Post ID: 3321160
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Profanity =/= intelligence, though it may signify how mature you are (though even that is arguable), and maturity also =/= intelligence. How mature you act probably has some impact on how intelligent others perceive you to be, but it has no real bearing on it.
Cross Stinger Posted: 18:01 Jun01 2014 Post ID: 3321256
Cross Stinger
Terrible Treecko
Post Likes: 41
+
Pick up Trainspotting and you'll find some multisyllabic words among the thick Scots in some of the vignettes. On the other hand, one friend of mine who swears like a sailor and actually works on a fishing boat claims that he was the first to teach me how to swear. Your guess is as good as mine.
Volke Posted: 10:19 Jun02 2014 Post ID: 3321310
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
Nah...
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close