Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

The Existence of God [Discussion Topic: See First Post]

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 65 of 70
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Last     Previous | Next
bradhal Posted: 15:00 Feb29 2012 Post ID: 3097588
bradhal
Post Likes: 0
+
i'm just posting some rather amusing (but totally true) links. People mull these over even if you believe in [insert your fake god here] . There is one brilliant quote here.

We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
Richard Dawkins

http://www.atheistsoup.com/2011/09/good-and-bad-people.html

http://www.treelobsters.com/2010/06/166-pickled.html

http://www.losingmyreligion.com/graphics/indexgraphics/bumper_sticker_72.jpg

http://www.kabuzzle.com/2012/01/it-only-fair.html

http://cectic.com/019.html

http://www.mixedmotive.com/quotes/faith-does-not-prove-anything.php

http://www.treelobsters.com/2010/07/168-extreme-unction.html

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/uploads/free_expression_cartoons/3-AMA-Lopez-Bible.jpg

http://lolclicks.net/?p=7595

http://www.skeptical-science.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/images5.jpeg

http://www.occupyamerica.tv/photo/mega-church-industry?context=featured

http://listverse.com/2010/09/17/20-more-quotes-by-atheists/

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/160677-i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore

I guarantee these will be the best laughs your get in a while!!

« Last edited by bradhal on Feb 29th 2012 »

My blog:

http://aint101blog1.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/novel-interface-5/

Funny quotes:

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Richard Dawkins
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
dx_hbk Posted: 14:13 Mar03 2012 Post ID: 3098595
dx_hbk
Skeptic
Post Likes: 6
+
@ bradhal Quoting Prof Dawkins and then posting a bunch of links doesn't add anything to the disscusion. Why don't you add something productive to the disscusion ?

^ That guy is GOD

"Lost somewhere between immensity and eternity is our tiny planetary home." ~ Carl Sagan

billtool Posted: 14:35 Mar03 2012 Post ID: 3098598
billtool
Forum GuestMember
+
http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens/articles/ancient-alien-theory

god lol
the dawn of the gamers Posted: 15:21 Mar29 2012 Post ID: 3104024
the dawn of the gamers
+
@bradhal

Please post something that adds to the discussion. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I for one do not feel like following all of those links.

@billtool

The Ancient Alien Theory is tossed around a lot, and it makes sense on some levels. But there is far less proof for extra-terrestrials to have landed on earth at some point than there is for other religions.
There are many powerful people in this world. Few of them are responsible.
Pravinj Posted: 04:09 Apr05 2012 Post ID: 3105306
Pravinj
^Oh look! my username...
Post Likes: 60
+
I personally don't believe that there would be a god, because if there was one, he would be way to busy with the rest of the universe than to be putting thought into everyone of us, I mean, life compared to the universe is so insignificant, it affects us, but that doesn't make us special, it just makes us unique.

Spoiler:
click to reveal

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Email: [email protected]
~Avy and Sig by me~
Keyblade21 Posted: 01:53 Apr09 2012 Post ID: 3106106
Keyblade21
Post Likes: 323
+
Pravinj said:I personally don't believe that there would be a god, because if there was one, he would be way to busy with the rest of the universe than to be putting thought into everyone of us, I mean, life compared to the universe is so insignificant, it affects us, but that doesn't make us special, it just makes us unique.

Spoiler:
click to reveal

If you think about it, if there is a god (i believe there is) than he would be able to do everything and anything, and have knowledge of everything. I'm pretty sure taking of the universe wouldn't be hard for him at all. Plus everything is basically already created so he only really needs to check up on it from time to time.

Avy & Sig credits go to Hurricane0

Want to join in the chat? Head over to General Chat
Rage [VG] Posted: 07:43 Apr09 2012 Post ID: 3106154
Rage [VG]
+
I often tend to avoid the discussion of Religion, because 9/10 the conversation will be me politely saying that what they are saying makes sense, I choose not to believe it since I am a logical thinker, not a believer, all the while they will demand or insist that what they are saying is the truth and I'm wrong. This will continue up untill I begin to pick apart their argument in which case they just start flaming or accusing me of hating their religion.

I don't hate on any religion at all, my best friend and his family are Unificationists, which is the belief in all gods, and I often discuss these things with him perfectly fine because he's not a jerk about it. I'm open to the possibility of there being a god, and I wish there for many reasons. But as I said I am a logical thinker, and if I had to pick I'd say it's more likely not true.

I don't try to convince people of my belief since I cannot prove myself right, only others wrong. And I know not all religious people are like this, but the ones who are stand out, but there are quite a few things that, even as a non-believer, I find offensive for them to be throwing around, such as "It's god's word." Which actually means "It's my word about god." Or even "God teaches us good manners and life lessons" after screaming at me that I should look forward to an eternity surrounded by fire and brimstone whilst my family suffers alongside me because I'm doing the same thing they are doing, which is choosing my own belief.

Like I said, I usually avoid religious discussions like the plague, not because I think they are stupid, but I dislike the people in it. But I feel this place is more mature than that so I don't have any worries.
dx_hbk Posted: 19:15 Apr18 2012 Post ID: 3107901
dx_hbk
Skeptic
+
Rage [VG said:]I often tend to avoid the discussion of Religion, because 9/10 the conversation will be me politely saying that what they are saying makes sense, I choose not to believe it since I am a logical thinker, not a believer, all the while they will demand or insist that what they are saying is the truth and I'm wrong. This will continue up untill I begin to pick apart their argument in which case they just start flaming or accusing me of hating their religion.

I don't hate on any religion at all, my best friend and his family are Unificationists, which is the belief in all gods, and I often discuss these things with him perfectly fine because he's not a jerk about it. I'm open to the possibility of there being a god, and I wish there for many reasons. But as I said I am a logical thinker, and if I had to pick I'd say it's more likely not true.

I don't try to convince people of my belief since I cannot prove myself right, only others wrong. And I know not all religious people are like this, but the ones who are stand out, but there are quite a few things that, even as a non-believer, I find offensive for them to be throwing around, such as "It's god's word." Which actually means "It's my word about god." Or even "God teaches us good manners and life lessons" after screaming at me that I should look forward to an eternity surrounded by fire and brimstone whilst my family suffers alongside me because I'm doing the same thing they are doing, which is choosing my own belief.

Like I said, I usually avoid religious discussions like the plague, not because I think they are stupid, but I dislike the people in it. But I feel this place is more mature than that so I don't have any worries.

I am pretty much like you.I am Agnostic atheist (or at end spectrum of week atheism if you really want to label me.
I love to play the devil's advocate and since you are good at proving other people wrong, perhaps we can have a discussion.

« Last edited by dx_hbk on Apr 18th 2012 »

^ That guy is GOD

"Lost somewhere between immensity and eternity is our tiny planetary home." ~ Carl Sagan

GLaDOS Posted: 04:47 Jun20 2012 Post ID: 3121733
GLaDOS
The portal will open in 3...
+
I'm kinda a combination of a weak/strong Atheist. I deny that God exists, but even if they did, whether I knew it (somehow) or not, I still wouldn't worship them.

NOTE: I had like 8 paragraphs of information typed up originally which I was going to run by a few other people first to make sure it wasn't offensive, or at least, not TOO offensive, looked up something on Google, accidentally closed the tab with this page on it, which was where I was typing said paragraphs, exclaimed "F*CK!", and then posted this instead. :/

Darky's Joke Account
JOHNNYBOLT said:Your avy's kinda sexy.
sphynxx Posted: 05:31 Jun20 2012 Post ID: 3121743
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
You do realise, that Chrome and Firefox have a "restore/recently closed tabs" feature which will re-open tabs, usually without any lose of typed text.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
GLaDOS Posted: 05:53 Jun20 2012 Post ID: 3121747
GLaDOS
+
... I freaking love you now. I still haven't finished yet, and I still need to run it by some people afterward. I think there's only one paragraph that I think won't offend anybody.

Darky's Joke Account
sphynxx Posted: 06:04 Jun20 2012 Post ID: 3121748
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
Just post it. D&D is for serious discussion. So long as your not outright attacking religous people as being stupid (which - in most cases they really are because they don't question their faith, they accept that which their parents taught them in) - then it'd probably be fine.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
GLaDOS Posted: 06:26 Jun20 2012 Post ID: 3121752
GLaDOS
+
sphynxx said:(They accept that which their parents taught them in)

That really scares me because of how that reminds me of how Hitler got people to join his regime.

I still need to finish it though. I got like a paragraph and a half to do. Maybe more.

Darky's Joke Account
dx_hbk Posted: 23:23 Jun30 2012 Post ID: 3125455
dx_hbk
Skeptic
+
Looking forward to it and don't worry about offending people. I am sure everyone on D&D can handle it Smile

^ That guy is GOD

nightmare2 Posted: 13:47 Jul01 2012 Post ID: 3125635
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
Post Likes: 41
+
Alright just asking here but what is the difference between Agnostic and Atheist? I am an absolute atheist and a few of my friends say they are agnostic and don't believe in a god.

Rage [VG said:]I often tend to avoid the discussion of Religion, because 9/10 the conversation will be me politely saying that what they are saying makes sense, I choose not to believe it since I am a logical thinker, not a believer, all the while they will demand or insist that what they are saying is the truth and I'm wrong. This will continue up untill I begin to pick apart their argument in which case they just start flaming or accusing me of hating their religion.

I get that a lot too, especially now in school since religion tends to be one of the main topics of discussion and since we are required to learn about it in our Social Studies classes. Most of the time I simply stay quite because people do have reactions like that and when you are polite in say you don't believe and put forward good evidence against their religion they tend to react rather negatively.
Some people, most people who say they are agnostic, are fine with me being atheist and accept it. In those few cases a discussion tends to be more bearable. But there are those times when you get people who tend to be extreme about their religion in which case I gotta grit my teeth and bear through all their raging towards me. Me I don't believe in God, now just to poke fun at a few religion I may act as if I am a satanist which is so much fun when talking to those extremists, but all in all I am complete and totally an Atheist.
Sir Adam of Peridot Nightmares

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
GLaDOS Posted: 15:44 Jul01 2012 Post ID: 3125658
GLaDOS
+
nightmare2 said:Alright just asking here but what is the difference between Agnostic and Atheist? I am an absolute atheist and a few of my friends say they are agnostic and don't believe in a god.

In a nutshell, the difference is this :

Agnostic: Someone who ponders whether or not there is a god. They don't necessarily believe in god, but they don't know whether or not they should. "I wonder if there is a god..."

There are actually two different kinds of Atheists:
Weak Atheist: Someone who doesn't really care if a god exists. They don't believe in a god either, but they don't really care if a god did exist. "Whether or not a god exists, I choose not to worship them."

Strong Atheist: Someone who denies the possible existence of a god. In their mind, it's impossible, illogical, ect. "There is no way that a god exists."

Darky's Joke Account
dx_hbk Posted: 19:38 Jul01 2012 Post ID: 3125723
dx_hbk
Skeptic
+
Alright just asking here but what is the difference between Agnostic and Atheist? I am an absolute atheist and a few of my friends say they are agnostic and don't believe in a god.

An Agnostic does not claim to know that God/s exists or does not.

An Atheist is someone who has a lack of belief in the existence of God/s.

Weak Atheist: Someone who doesn't really care if a god exists. They don't believe in a god either, but they don't really care if a god did exist. "Whether or not a god exists, I choose not to worship them."

I think you are confusing weak atheism with Apatheism. An Apatheist is someone who doesn't find the topic of the existence of god interesting and doesn't care weather god exists or not.
A weak atheist is somewhat like an Agnostic theist. A weak atheist does not claim to know for certain weather a deity exists or not but thinks the a deity most probably does not exist.

^ That guy is GOD

Xtreme gamer Posted: 00:14 Sep20 2012 Post ID: 3151455
Xtreme gamer
#2Seconds
+
I feel like there is no disproving or proving that God exists. It completely depends on the person and their experiences in life. Like with me, I strongly believe in God, because Ive always been the type to pray then set out to accomplish it. Ive been down hella times, but my faith kept me going. Ive experienced things that science and philosophy cannot explain. However, I do not believe in any particular religion if that makes sense lol. Because where im from and have come to realize religion is nothing but a hustle where these reverends selling hope and these people donate their money to it. Thats why them preachers be having nice cars and suits and house and what not.

Religion is also used to control people, influence their ideals, etc to get them to do whatever the puppet master wants them to do. Example would be the Muslims blowing themselves up in the name of Allah, and such. Religion also starts wars basically over what to name the dude in the sky.. Christians say Jesus/God, Muslims say Allah, Hindus Krishna, etc etc. I settle on the universal name to call the being supposedly in the heavenly plane; The Creator/God. Just like a God, by definition, it is very powerful, It made everything, and Im thankful for it.

So in conclusion, I dont disrespect or down anybody who believes there is no God/doubts Gods existence , because we all have this thing called Intellectual Independence and we think for ourselves based on our perspectives/observations/experiences. However, nobody can convince me that there is no God or at least something that made nature, space, etc. Things just aint pop up, and science cant really explain it. We as humans want answers and reasoning, so thats why we have science, to provide that closure.

« Last edited by Xtreme gamer on Sep 20th 2012 »

instagram: solidaritysterl
PhilXZ Posted: 22:00 Oct14 2012 Post ID: 3160974
PhilXZ
German Wunderkind
+
Xtreme gamer said:I feel like there is no disproving or proving that God exists. It completely depends on the person and their experiences in life. Like with me, I strongly believe in God, because Ive always been the type to pray then set out to accomplish it. Ive been down hella times, but my faith kept me going. Ive experienced things that science and philosophy cannot explain. However, I do not believe in any particular religion if that makes sense lol. Because where im from and have come to realize religion is nothing but a hustle where these reverends selling hope and these people donate their money to it. Thats why them preachers be having nice cars and suits and house and what not.

Religion is also used to control people, influence their ideals, etc to get them to do whatever the puppet master wants them to do. Example would be the Muslims blowing themselves up in the name of Allah, and such. Religion also starts wars basically over what to name the dude in the sky.. Christians say Jesus/God, Muslims say Allah, Hindus Krishna, etc etc. I settle on the universal name to call the being supposedly in the heavenly plane; The Creator/God. Just like a God, by definition, it is very powerful, It made everything, and Im thankful for it.

So in conclusion, I dont disrespect or down anybody who believes there is no God/doubts Gods existence , because we all have this thing called Intellectual Independence and we think for ourselves based on our perspectives/observations/experiences. However, nobody can convince me that there is no God or at least something that made nature, space, etc. Things just aint pop up, and science cant really explain it. We as humans want answers and reasoning, so thats why we have science, to provide that closure.

That closely sums up my viewpoint. I am a firm Christian yet I am not afraid to ponder about God and the findings of science. Questioning my faith has made it stronger. I respect the beliefs of Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, and the other religious branches. Would I like everyone to be Christian? Absolutely yes, but you cannot convert people by shoving your faith down their throat. They have to come to you and be willing. This is something that I believe religious leaders fail to understand, and partially why religion gets some criticism. They want to hasten the process when it takes a lot of time.
Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, for instance, have a lot in common. The key difference is that they have different central figures: Mohammad, Moses, and Jesus Christ. They all recognize one God and Abraham. Islam and modern Judaism recognize Jesus as a prophet. Christianity takes it a step further by recognizing him as the Messiah spoken of in the Old Testament.
There are stories of miracles, encountering a higher being through near-death experience, as well as this latest story in Newsweek (http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-heaven-a-doctor-s-experience-with-the-afterlife.html).
What people believe is entirely up to them. I have always seen religion as a personal thing. My faith in God has given me determination, support, strength, and hope. And if I happen to be wrong, what have I got to lose?
shaynescardera Posted: 13:50 Dec08 2012 Post ID: 3179351
shaynescardera
+
HIIII
Displaying Page 65 of 70
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close