Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Homosexuality Debates

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 38 of 38
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 36 | 37 | Last     Previous
YoSoyJu Posted: 22:38 Jul11 2010 Post ID: 2867772
YoSoyJu
Post Likes: 0
+
But my point is that the same arguments you are making with gay marriage were made 50 years ago with interracial marriage. That even went to the Supreme Court. This country was founded, not on democracy, but on the principle that the rights of the individual mustn't be infringed on by the majority. That is why putting gay marriage up for a vote doesn't matter. Not allowing gays to get married violates their rights. Civil unions are just another way of saying separate but equal.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Catharsis Posted: 22:25 Aug04 2010 Post ID: 2880148
Catharsis
One thought fills immensity.
+
Well, as has already been mentioned in a GC topic, Prop 8 has just been overturned by a court. It'll probably go to the Supreme Court, but if they agree with the court's ruling then this means that all prohibitions of gay marriage are indisputably unconstitutional... Although I confess that my understanding of American law is a little shaky, so if I'm wrong then do please correct me.

Signature and avatar made by Master Volthawk.
Email/MSN: empyrean decadence at hotmail dot com (Remove all spaces)

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius." - William Blake.

Winner of Member Brawl '09. Finally cleared out enough sig space to include that.
sphynxx Posted: 01:32 Aug05 2010 Post ID: 2880177
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
^ that is what i've heard, and gathered from the articles that have been on t.v & in newspapers here in NZ.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
super craig Posted: 17:30 Aug08 2010 Post ID: 2882401
super craig
Post Likes: 1
+
How many of the other states don't allow gay marriage? If it is ruled to be unconstituional in the Supreme Court will that mean that challenges to similar laws in other states will have more of a chance of getting through?
Let me be the first to congratulate you on witnessing pure perfection!

YoSoyJu Posted: 19:29 Aug16 2010 Post ID: 2886661
YoSoyJu
+
super craig said:How many of the other states don't allow gay marriage? If it is ruled to be unconstituional in the Supreme Court will that mean that challenges to similar laws in other states will have more of a chance of getting through?

California, Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Washington, D.C. are the only places that allow gay marriage, while New York, Rhode Island, and Maryland recognize same-sex legally performed in other states. There is also a Native American tribe in Oregon that does, but tribal relations are complicated as I believe they are technically "sovereign nations."

The power to grant marriages is left to the states, but they can not violate federal laws. So I believe if it's federally recognized as unconstitutional that states would have to allow same-sex marriage under the Due Process and Equal Protection clauses of the 5th and 14th Amendments.
Craizen Posted: 21:48 Aug23 2010 Post ID: 2889902
Craizen
A'ight
Post Likes: 66
+
Yeah, whatever the supreme court rules, it rules. It'd overturn everything.
Displaying Page 38 of 38
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 36 | 37 | Last     Previous
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close