Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

McCain v. Obama

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 5

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | Last     Previous | Next
Oddity Posted: 17:14 Sep05 2008 Post ID: 2412565
Oddity
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
I'm not even from America, but here's my opinion.

Obama. I'm sick of having old right-wing presidential leaders, plus it will set a good example for anti-racism if we do get a black president, the same as it would have been good for the feminist movement if Hillary got in but now she's out now so....
Hi. How's it going? Good?
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Shadow_Lord Posted: 16:40 Sep06 2008 Post ID: 2414066
Shadow_Lord
+
[b][i]"it would have been good for the feminist movement if Hillary got in but now she's out now so..."[/b][/i]

In before the first McCain supporter mentions Sarah Palin: forgive me if I'm wrong, but a woman who is firmly anti-abortion doesn't seem particularly in touch with what most would consider "feminist issues".
[center]
Signature credited to Nathan (or whatever he decides to call himself next)

MSN address: yamiken (at) hotmail (dot) co (dot) uk
[size=6](You know the drill, remove the spaces, replace the at with @ and the dot
g33k Posted: 16:48 Sep06 2008 Post ID: 2414103
g33k
Mr. Lurker
+
Sarah Palin was a pretty smart choice. And yes she is against abortion. She supports abstinence that was you don't even have to worry about abortion.

Also McCain has many other reasons to chose here mainly because of how that will help him in the long run by having a woman running will encourage more women to vote for him.
Are you ready to meet GOD?

Thanks for the Avy goes to Tank! Sig by me.
Emiliano Zapata said:It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!

Clicking this is bad for your brains.
super craig Posted: 17:06 Sep06 2008 Post ID: 2414193
super craig
Post Likes: 1
+
Thats the only reason she was chosen, to get the womens vote. McCain had only met her once before and unless that was one hell of a meeting it seems a bit odd to chose that person as a running partner or whatever she is, espically considering she was a virtual unknown before.
Let me be the first to congratulate you on witnessing pure perfection!

Shadow_Lord Posted: 17:33 Sep06 2008 Post ID: 2414280
Shadow_Lord
+
On 06-Sep-2008 g33k said:Sarah Palin was a pretty smart choice. And yes she is against abortion. She supports abstinence that was you don't even have to worry about abortion.

Also McCain has many other reasons to chose here mainly because of how that will help him in the long run by having a woman running will encourage more women to vote for him.
Abstinence only doesn't work. The somewhat uncomfortable truth is that teenagers are going to have sex anyway. Keeping them in the dark about contraceptive methods will just make things worse when they do have sex. And even if that doesn't happen when they're teenagers, what about when they're over the legal age? Stopping casual sex altogether is even more of a lost battle than underage sex. If they don't know how to use contraception then, how can we hope to keep STDs under control?

The bottom line is that we're not living in the 19th century anymore. Modern attitudes towards sex are far more liberal, whether conservative politicians and the religious right like it or not. Keeping the next generation in the dark over contraceptive methods is a road to disaster in the form of high STD-rates and high levels of teenage pregnancies.

As for the second part: a very valid point, but it's such populism which makes me all the more uneasy about McCain. I want (or would want if I lived in the US) a President who will stick to his ideals, not one who will pander to the desires of the unthinking majority.
[center]

[size=6](You know the drill, remove the spaces, replace the at with @ and the dot
Oddity Posted: 21:49 Sep06 2008 Post ID: 2414770
Oddity
Forum GuestMember
+
Haha, Shadow_Lord makes a very good point. Back in the days when abstinence was just so cool because you were doing the lord's work, you could be stoned or burned for masturbating or unlocking your chastity belt. We really don't need that again, and I think liberal's are probably doing what's right, but religeous and stupid views tend to cloud certain judgements.
marielue5 Posted: 22:25 Sep06 2008 Post ID: 2414792
marielue5
+
On 06-Sep-2008 Shadow_Lord said:[b][i]"it would have been good for the feminist movement if Hillary got in but now she's out now so..."[/b][/i]

In before the first McCain supporter mentions Sarah Palin: forgive me if I'm wrong, but a woman who is firmly anti-abortion doesn't seem particularly in touch with what most would consider "feminist issues".
Well just because she doesn't believe in what I call murder (but is not really considered murder because it is "legal killing" which is the reason why many say its ok, although thats bull in my opinion) doesn't mean that she's not in touch with "feminist issues" but simply means that she has a different opinion then what most females would probably have on the topic.

Also just let me explain why I think that putting a "legal" label on killing still doesn't make it right. If putting the legal label on killing makes it right then why do we consider the Holocaust murder? The massacre of Jews was legal under German law. So I guess the Holocaust wasn't wrong either? Either way killing is wrong, whether you call it "legal" or "illegal" it is still wrong. I just thought I would throw that out there for someone to debate because that issue also has a lot to do with who I want to win.

Also I do agree with all of you that the only reason McCain picked Palin is because he wanted votes, and I think it was a wise pick as far as votes go.....although it causes me to have a distrust towards McCain and if he really means what he says or rather just says things to gain votes.
Pokemon DS record since return to sc 29-3
fc 0301-9016-8239

Shadow_Lord Posted: 05:47 Sep07 2008 Post ID: 2414926
Shadow_Lord
+
Obviously putting a "legal label" on killing in itself doesn't make it right, marielue5. What matters are the reasons that label was put into place. Now, in the case of the Holocaust, that reason would be the deeply misguided notion that Aryans are racially superior to Jews. In abortion's case, however, the reasoning stems from the debate as to when life actually begins - some say at conception, some say at birth, most say somewhere in between. Other factors, although usually more minor ones, include impact on the mother's quality of life, how the child was conceived (eg. it may have been conceived by rape), the child's quality of life (eg. it may be severely disabled) or even medical reasons, such as if it caused some sort of complication which endangered the mother's life.

My point is that equating abortion to the Holocaust is a gross oversimplification, and only displays ignorance of the debate behind whether or not abortion should be legalised.
[center]

Catharsis Posted: 22:04 Sep10 2008 Post ID: 2418634
Catharsis
One thought fills immensity.
+
On 06-Sep-2008 marielue5 said:Well just because she doesn't believe in what I call murder (but is not really considered murder because it is "legal killing" which is the reason why many say its ok, although thats bull in my opinion) doesn't mean that she's not in touch with "feminist issues" but simply means that she has a different opinion then what most females would probably have on the topic.

Also just let me explain why I think that putting a "legal" label on killing still doesn't make it right. If putting the legal label on killing makes it right then why do we consider the Holocaust murder? The massacre of Jews was legal under German law. So I guess the Holocaust wasn't wrong either? Either way killing is wrong, whether you call it "legal" or "illegal" it is still wrong. I just thought I would throw that out there for someone to debate because that issue also has a lot to do with who I want to win.

Also I do agree with all of you that the only reason McCain picked Palin is because he wanted votes, and I think it was a wise pick as far as votes go.....although it causes me to have a distrust towards McCain and if he really means what he says or rather just says things to gain votes.
So out of interest, who do you support? Your lack of support for abortion suggests that you're politically conservative, but you say that you distrust John McCain, who is the more conservative of the candidates. Would you therefore vote for Obama, who supports abortion, among other such "liberal" things, or would you take your chances with McCain? Or would you not really be able to choose between the two?

Signature and avatar made by Master Volthawk.
Email/MSN: empyrean decadence at hotmail dot com (Remove all spaces)

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius." - William Blake.

Winner of Member Brawl '09. Finally cleared out enough sig space to include that.
Oddity Posted: 06:32 Sep11 2008 Post ID: 2418775
Oddity
Forum GuestMember
+
I'm going to but in. Abortion is a key thing in politics, so here's my opinion. Abortion is killing but killing can be justified under certain circumstances, I believe (I'm a supporter of euthanasia, but I'll leave that to some other topic.) Women have a right to choose whether they want a kid or not, and there's some whole other random crap like is the child disabled, is the child a threat to the mothers life, does the child have a stable home when it is born, etc. Certain circumstances.
Cybertron Posted: 18:40 Sep12 2008 Post ID: 2420565
Cybertron
+
Iam not really sure. I was kinda thinking Obama becuase he was gonna lower college costs but I sorta agree with mccain to. Because he wants the war to reamin in Iraq and that will hopefully protect another 9/11.
Join Halo 360(my team)IGamerzcentral(my site)

Godsarmor, not a member of SC made the sig and Vasco for avy
Oddity Posted: 05:06 Sep13 2008 Post ID: 2420957
Oddity
Forum GuestMember
+
Cybertron, forgive me, but just because America plus Australia, Great Britan and everyone in Iraq is shooting the crap out of random Islams, doesn't mean it will prevent another 9/11. Some terrorist organisations are on the home soil, and it is ignorant to think that anyone that wants to bomb places and end democracy is in Iraq. McCain is stupid and so are you if you are so narrow minded like that.
47 Posted: 05:09 Sep13 2008 Post ID: 2420959
+
Personally terrorist's try to do good for the country but go the wrong way about it.
Sig - dark_wolf_33
PSN - SCARFACE-47
Msn - [email protected]

[/color]
[color=gold]click 47[color=silver][/center]
Shadow_Lord Posted: 08:06 Sep13 2008 Post ID: 2421062
Shadow_Lord
+
On 13-Sep-2008 47 said:Personally terrorist's try to do good for the country but go the wrong way about it.
Exactly my thoughts on most Republicans, McCain included.
[center]

dnextreme88 Posted: 11:09 Sep13 2008 Post ID: 2421338
dnextreme88
hg
+
I may not live on that country but i want obama to win. I want a black american to be sitted as a president though if he wins, he will be the first black american to be seated as president.

Avy & Sig by: Craizen
PSN ID: N0t0r10us-Killah

But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.
Catharsis Posted: 17:11 Sep13 2008 Post ID: 2422011
Catharsis
One thought fills immensity.
+
On 13-Sep-2008 47 said:I really don't know much about McCain or Obama.
Then don't post. This is D&D, not General Chat.

Post deleted.

Signature and avatar made by Master Volthawk.
Email/MSN: empyrean decadence at hotmail dot com (Remove all spaces)

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius." - William Blake.

Winner of Member Brawl '09. Finally cleared out enough sig space to include that.
coachcline Posted: 22:47 Sep13 2008 Post ID: 2422552
coachcline
Just call me Coach
+
I'm an Obama person myself, McCain is just a clone of Bush, he's just in it for the oil. And we need a change, definately. Obama seems more like he can relate to people this day and age. McCain just picked Sarah Palin to get more votes from women even though she's barely had any experience. McCain also seems to do more mud-slingin'. They both promise change but I think Obama would do it best and help the economy. And people also say Obama would be only for the black people, not true since he's half white, his mom was white y'know.

Siggy proudly brought to you by .Impact!
[insert random quote or phrase that makes the sig space look less bare]
Oddity Posted: 05:18 Sep17 2008 Post ID: 2425798
Oddity
Forum GuestMember
+
McCain is just like Bush, and do we really need another one of those? I agree with coachline.
Cross Stinger Posted: 12:14 Oct03 2008 Post ID: 2443878
Cross Stinger
Terrible Treecko
Post Likes: 41
+
I'm not happy with either candidate, personally.

Although John McCain seemed so concerned about the financial rescue plan, it was defeated earlier this week (but they've confirmed a revised plan that includes several tax breaks), so I think it's going to cost him dearly. Same with Palin ? sure, she's pro-life; sure, she opposes safe sex education, but I cannot for the life of me stop thinking of whether her daughter Bristol cares more for her mother's career or for her own pursuits. If Bristol wants to keep her baby and marry the father, that's fine and well, but it should be on her and her boyfriend's own terms, not her mother's. (Focus on the Family and Family Research Council founder James Dobson even said that it was an act of courage to not abort the baby, but seeing as he said he wasn't voting this year anyway, I don't count his opinion.)

As for Obama, I do not support his idea of raising the capital gains tax. The bulk of what we pay to fill our gas tanks goes to gasoline taxes, not necessarily the price of drilling and shipping the oil. Hiking one of those taxes (which the Carter administration did in addition to cutting off Middle East petroleum) only means that prices will go up as either companies will truly feel the pressure or use it as an excuse to raise their prices.

I would write in Mike Bloomberg, but he doesn't want the job (and he's pursuing a third term as mayor of New York).

« Last edited by Cross Stinger on Oct 3rd 2008 »
imaloony8.0 Posted: 16:28 Oct05 2008 Post ID: 2446669
imaloony8.0
Loony and Proud
Post Likes: 6
+
Obama cause McCain is an old fart.

I like Obama, because the longer we stay in this war, the worse. What do we have to gain by staying there? Making them hate us more? Getting more people killed? No. The war needs to end ASAP, and we need our troops home. I'm sure that after all this crap, the terrorists won't be coming near us any time soon, fearing that we come back.

Wanna listen to me rant about stuff? I started a blog!
https://theloonybinblog.wordpress.com/
Displaying Page 2 of 5

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close