Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn

Any disappointments?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Volke Posted at: 13:55 Jun01 2008 Post ID: 2262429
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
+
Radiant Dawn is an amazing game, but is there anything you found disappointing? My disappointments were:

Laguz still sucked and were basically average units with the annoying transformation limits and glacial experience growth. The only exceptions were the ones with Formshift, the Herons, Skrimir, Ranulf, Janaff and Ulki.

There was a lot of hype about how amazingly powerful Dragons were, but they just turned out to be mediocre, save for their absolutely dreadful speed.

The Bowgun class of weapons were really annoying in enemy hands, but terribly weak in yours. A bit disappointing, since I was looking foreward to using them.

These are only minor grievances, however. Pretty much everything else rocked.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
CurryMonster Posted at: 02:07 Jun02 2008 Post ID: 2263380
CurryMonster
A Professional with Standard
Post Likes: 0
+
+
I agree about the dragons. I heard from a friend who's played Path of Radiance that they were virtually unstoppable. Why, then, did I find myself getting thrashed senseless whenever I tried to use Ena or Kurthnaga?

The Undying Night Book 1: Fiendlord. GET IT HERE.
Volke Posted at: 13:28 Jun02 2008 Post ID: 2263657
Volke
Executioner
+
+
Dragons were a lot more powerful in Path of Radiance. They even had decent Speed back then. Even so, they weren't all they were made out to be in Path of Radiance either. But you could never two-shot them back then, either. They had better defences, too.

I always defeat Kurthnaga in Part 3: Endgame. Despite how everyone was terrified of him prior to the battle, it takes no more than two units at most (if the first unit does't active their Occult skill, or doesn't get a critical hit) to take him down. You still get him later, obviously.
Ermac Posted at: 16:00 Jun05 2008 Post ID: 2268050
Ermac
+
+
I agree with you on bowguns and Laguz.

Ike's fight against the Black Knight was far too easy.

The new occult skills are too strong, multiplying damage by 3 or 5 fold is pointless.

The switching between parties annoyed me no end sometimes, it stops you from training up certain units to their full potential. Aran for example is an absolute beast with high strength, skill, defence and decent speed, but the only way to make him like this is feed him BEXP so he's a wasted unit.
Volke Posted at: 09:47 Jul19 2008 Post ID: 2336187
Volke
Executioner
+
+
I never could be bothered with Aran. It's a pain enough to train up just five units from Micaiah's team due to them being underlevelled for the entire game (and surprisingly also getting the most playtime).
solidsnake200 Posted at: 17:39 Nov04 2008 Post ID: 2470955
solidsnake200
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Is Aran the healer?
I agree the dragons are tough in P.R. but are easy in this game. The Laguz just stole my exp especialy in the first few missions of part 3.
Volke Posted at: 08:38 Nov05 2008 Post ID: 2471447
Volke
Executioner
+
+
No he's the Soldier.

As far as the story goes, I think it was stupid to bring Oliver back. I mean, he was a good storyline character in Path of Radiance, but it would be better off leaving him dead rather than bringing him back in Radiant Dawn for a very small role that had no impact on the rest of the game whatsoever (recruiting him didn't change the storyline at all. There weren't even any Info conversations with him). I also throught he would have tried to capture Rafiel, rather than join the people who tried to kill him three/four years ago, as it would be far more in keeping with his personality in the previous game.
solidsnake200 Posted at: 20:12 Nov12 2008 Post ID: 2476917
solidsnake200
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Oh ya, Why did they take away the support conversation part to the supports? That was one of my favorite parts to the other Fire Emblem games.
Volke Posted at: 12:22 Nov14 2008 Post ID: 2477807
Volke
Executioner
+
+
Yeah, good point. Whilst it's great that anyone can support with anyone, the Support 'conversations' (more like one-liners, but oh well) were usually pretty cheesy, sometimes bordering on ridiculous. The 'different' conversations that some units could have with each other were a bit better (usually characters who have strong bonds with others, such as Micaiah and Sothe, and Tormod and Muarim), but they didn't really tell much of a story or give a history about the character/s like they did in Path of Radiance. Some of the Support conversations were pretty humourous as well.
solidsnake200 Posted at: 14:46 Nov18 2008 Post ID: 2481561
solidsnake200
Forum GuestMember
+
+
True they were cheesy, but one of the few good things about them were that they showed when the support effects activated and what those bonus were.
Volke Posted at: 06:14 Nov19 2008 Post ID: 2482178
Volke
Executioner
+
+
The supporting with everyone also enabled you to support two units that would work well together, such as Oscar and Titania, Jill and Haar, Soren and Shinon etc.

Depnding n who supported with who, certain characters' endings in the Epilogue will alter. A list:

Sothe: MicaiahSothe
Jill: JillHaar
Geoffrey: ElinciaGeoffrey
Astrid: AstridMakalov
Leanne: NaesalaLeanne
Boyd and Mist: BoydMist
Lucia and Bastian: LuciaBastian
Ranulf: IkeRanulf
Soren: IkeSoren

It's possible to get all but one of these in a single playthrough. The only exceptions are Ranulf and Soren, as Ike can only have one A support by the end of the game, as with everyone else.

You can pretty much guess how the endings alter. But incase you don't want to know, I won't mention.

means an A support between the two characters.
Zaltias Posted at: 15:06 Jan06 2009 Post ID: 2514572
Zaltias
+
+
One thing i found strange was there were very few characters you actually "recruit" in an FE sense, i.e, go up and talk to them with a certain character to make them join your team. The only ones I can think of is recruiting Aran with Laura and the rogue, Heather with Brom or Nephenee. Apparently, you can recruit characters of the Dawn Brigade in some of the maps when you fight them, but I didn't bother trying that, as they needed all the help they can get.

That was another thing I found a bit strange, fighting your own team, in the missions with Greil Mercenaries versus the Dawn Brigade. I was a bit skeptical at first, trying to avoid DB units, unitl Zihark ran up and tried to kill Ike, yet failed. After it seemed that he had retreated rather than died, I went on a DB slaughter fest and true enough, they all return in the next chapter..

I found Laguz much more useful in PoR than in RD. They were absolutely terrible untransformed, getting doubled by everything and often than not, dying. Then whilst transformed, They were more useful, though the gauge went down like anything, giving you between 3 and 5 turns to use your Laguz, unless you occasionally used Olivi grass.

Bowguns were quite useful for me actually. I gave them to Shinon, who became a total beast with them, incapacitating enemies with his common criticals, or weakening them for others to kill, or totally destroying their weapon with corrosion.

Probably one of my biggest disappointments was with the Black Knight. Early game, he was alright, though Ranulf really ruined it by randomly dropping in before part 4 was it, "O hey that Ike. BK is really *******. Kbai naow." Not to mention how ridiculously easy the battle with him was (compared to the battle on PoR Hard mode), to the point I actually had to try stall so I could grab the Wishblade and get some more exp for my team.

Overall though, it was a really enjoyable game, I particularly liked the graphics of that battles, with units actually falling over (albeit, flying into the air when hit by a trueblade does seem a bit unrealistic, but still..) when they got hit was nice touch to just standing still when you get bludgeoned by something.

10 - Supply Depot (1)
13 - Barracks
15 - Marine (1)
16 - Orbital Command + Supply Depot (2)
16 @100% Marine (1) - Command Center (2)
21 - Bunker (1) + Barracks (2) (3)
Volke Posted at: 11:57 Jan09 2009 Post ID: 2516356
Volke
Executioner
+
+
On 06-Jan-2009 Zaltias said:One thing i found strange was there were very few characters you actually "recruit" in an FE sense, i.e, go up and talk to them with a certain character to make them join your team. The only ones I can think of is recruiting Aran with Laura and the rogue, Heather with Brom or Nephenee. Apparently, you can recruit characters of the Dawn Brigade in some of the maps when you fight them, but I didn't bother trying that, as they needed all the help they can get.

That was another thing I found a bit strange, fighting your own team, in the missions with Greil Mercenaries versus the Dawn Brigade. I was a bit skeptical at first, trying to avoid DB units, unitl Zihark ran up and tried to kill Ike, yet failed. After it seemed that he had retreated rather than died, I went on a DB slaughter fest and true enough, they all return in the next chapter..

I found Laguz much more useful in PoR than in RD. They were absolutely terrible untransformed, getting doubled by everything and often than not, dying. Then whilst transformed, They were more useful, though the gauge went down like anything, giving you between 3 and 5 turns to use your Laguz, unless you occasionally used Olivi grass.

Bowguns were quite useful for me actually. I gave them to Shinon, who became a total beast with them, incapacitating enemies with his common criticals, or weakening them for others to kill, or totally destroying their weapon with corrosion.

Probably one of my biggest disappointments was with the Black Knight. Early game, he was alright, though Ranulf really ruined it by randomly dropping in before part 4 was it, "O hey that Ike. BK is really *******. Kbai naow." Not to mention how ridiculously easy the battle with him was (compared to the battle on PoR Hard mode), to the point I actually had to try stall so I could grab the Wishblade and get some more exp for my team.

Overall though, it was a really enjoyable game, I particularly liked the graphics of that battles, with units actually falling over (albeit, flying into the air when hit by a trueblade does seem a bit unrealistic, but still..) when they got hit was nice touch to just standing still when you get bludgeoned by something.
Yeah, I noticed there were very few you could actually recruit. Considerng ever other character in Path of Radiace had to be recruted, it was a bit odd.

I'm sure there was a notification about that in the first battle against another of your teams.

Laguz weren't much good in Path of Radaince. I always thought that if they're as powerful as the story makes them out to be, the make them better!

It depends on how you use them, and how you want to use them.

Too be honest, I'm torn between the idea of whether it was a good thing to bring the Black Knight back, or just leave him dead in Path of Radiance. Concerning the latter, the whole Ike prancing around talking about how he'll kill the Black Knight in Path of Radiance lost its' meaning. Especially the battle with the Black Knight. And yes, the Black Knight battle was too easy in Radiant Dawn.

Yeah, the graphics were more realistic this time. I think the game wasn't given the justice it deserved in terms of official reviews. A worldwide average of 80% is pathetic - it deserves 90+!
Zaltias Posted at: 04:30 Jan10 2009 Post ID: 2516959
Zaltias
+
+
The only way I would use Laguz in PoR was with the Demi Band. Losing 2 or 3 points from a stat, but remaining permanently transformed seemed like a fair trade off. Wildheart is a better skill in the part 1, where Volug could be used to weaken enemy armor units, compared to the disadvantage it turns out to be in parts 3 and 4 (should you continue to use Volug / other Laguz) Going into battle with stats in the 20s or so by then really wasn't comparable to Beorc third tier stats. Intelligent Systems need to work on Laguz balance, should there be an RD sequel.

Another thing I wasn't a big fan of were the levels where you had command of the the Crimean Royal Knights, two levels that come to mind are Geoffrey's Charge (The one where he leads his little knight attack force to attack Ludveck's castle) and that level in part where Begnion bandits are attacking that Crimean town. Particularly, I'm not a bit Paladin fan (going back years to FE7 and the infamous Marcus) but I found the Knights to be a bit lacking. Astrid and Malakov could not one round any opponents, (Strange, because I have often used Astrid in my PoR playthroughs, due to her easiness to level up with Paragon and she turns out a fairly decent unit) so it is left to Geoffrey and Kieran, who preform a bit better, to almost solo the entire map (bar what ever support the allied units and your other team members can provide)

RD definitely deserved a higher rating. I read a few reviews before deciding to get it and a lot of reviewers slammed it for its difficulty, which I really didn't notice. A few chapters were a bit of a pain, but no where near as hard as they made out in the reviews. AS yet, I havn't gotten around to doing a hard mode run, but from what I've heard, it will be different, for one thing, I know they omitted the weapons triangle. One thing I liked was some of the new innovative Victory / Defeat conditions, such as the burning supplies mission, or part 2's prologue, where you had to make sure Leanne didn't get captured. They just added a difference which made the levels more varied than the standard Rout/Defeat Boss/Defend/Seize objectives. The way they changed how you can use and manage skills was a great improvement, removing and reassigning them made your units much more versatile. It met all expectations and is probably in my top 3 Wii games, alongside RE4 and SSBB.

10 - Supply Depot (1)
13 - Barracks
15 - Marine (1)
Volke Posted at: 13:35 Jan10 2009 Post ID: 2517179
Volke
Executioner
+
+
On 10-Jan-2009 Zaltias said:The only way I would use Laguz in PoR was with the Demi Band. Losing 2 or 3 points from a stat, but remaining permanently transformed seemed like a fair trade off. Wildheart is a better skill in the part 1, where Volug could be used to weaken enemy armor units, compared to the disadvantage it turns out to be in parts 3 and 4 (should you continue to use Volug / other Laguz) Going into battle with stats in the 20s or so by then really wasn't comparable to Beorc third tier stats. Intelligent Systems need to work on Laguz balance, should there be an RD sequel.

Another thing I wasn't a big fan of were the levels where you had command of the the Crimean Royal Knights, two levels that come to mind are Geoffrey's Charge (The one where he leads his little knight attack force to attack Ludveck's castle) and that level in part where Begnion bandits are attacking that Crimean town. Particularly, I'm not a bit Paladin fan (going back years to FE7 and the infamous Marcus) but I found the Knights to be a bit lacking. Astrid and Malakov could not one round any opponents, (Strange, because I have often used Astrid in my PoR playthroughs, due to her easiness to level up with Paragon and she turns out a fairly decent unit) so it is left to Geoffrey and Kieran, who preform a bit better, to almost solo the entire map (bar what ever support the allied units and your other team members can provide)

RD definitely deserved a higher rating. I read a few reviews before deciding to get it and a lot of reviewers slammed it for its difficulty, which I really didn't notice. A few chapters were a bit of a pain, but no where near as hard as they made out in the reviews. AS yet, I havn't gotten around to doing a hard mode run, but from what I've heard, it will be different, for one thing, I know they omitted the weapons triangle. One thing I liked was some of the new innovative Victory / Defeat conditions, such as the burning supplies mission, or part 2's prologue, where you had to make sure Leanne didn't get captured. They just added a difference which made the levels more varied than the standard Rout/Defeat Boss/Defend/Seize objectives. The way they changed how you can use and manage skills was a great improvement, removing and reassigning them made your units much more versatile. It met all expectations and is probably in my top 3 Wii games, alongside RE4 and SSBB.
I just removed Wildheart from Volug in Part 3, because if I didn't it meant he was going to die. Literally. His defences are crap anyway. And, judging by how the story ended, I wouldn't bank on there being a sequel.

For Geoffrey's Charge, I just used Kieran and Marcia, with Geoffrey and Danved us backup. For Maurauders, I used Kieran, Calill and Marcia with Geoffrey and the NPCs disposing of the ive or so reinforcements at the beginning of the map. And yes, Paladins were much worse this time around. They had rubbish stat caps compared to other Beorc units, and only three (Titania, Oscar and Kieran) were actually good, despite still being outclassed by everyone else. I generally stop using them by Part 4, and most certainly never take any into the Tower of Guidance. They were among the best units in Path of Radiance, but this time the fliers completely outclassed them - especially Jill and Marcia.

Hard mode is hard. Trust me.
Zaltias Posted at: 00:20 Jan11 2009 Post ID: 2517754
Zaltias
+
+
I ended up rushing those two chapters, a very different strategy from someone who usually methodically wipes out the enemy team. Coincidently, I'm up to the again one my second playthrough, so I'll try a new tactic.

My favourite flying unit was Haar. He was a pretty much a flying General, with his insane defence and strength and his other skills certainly weren't lacking. Jill had a few difficulties in the beginning, mainly with accuracy (having an average of about 67 or so), but a simple forged weapon all but solved this. Though, by part 4, Haar was obviously superior, so I pretty much abandoned Jill at that point. Her speed was quite good though.

With the array of powerful characters you have, I was slightly disappointed with the amount of the amount you could take to the Endgame. If I remember correctly, Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, Ena, Kurthnaga and Sanaki were forced along. A lot of the forced characters weren't totally useful, mainly Sothe, Ena and Sanaki. Sothe probably has potential, but I had neglected him totally, to the point where he promoted to whisper at a pathetic level 7. In theory, Bane sounds like good skill, but I've heard activation is rare (half of the unit's skill, the same as Aether I believe). Ena was just plain useless, with her pathetic damage, and I really didn't notice much of a difference with Bloodtide. Sanaki lost out mainly due to her bad speed, which wasn't helped by the fact that she used heavy tomes and her low strength. She had trouble doubling even Generals and in the end, I had her killing spirits. I was determined to use Kurth, seeing as he was the Black Dragon Prince, he looked cool and all, so I gave him a shot. Despite being horrible underleveled, giving him Paragon + Resolve + Adept made him quite powerful, once Resolve kicked in, he was able to double most things, and after a few level ups, one round stuff. He was level 30 by 4-E-3 and 40 by 4-E-4 (with some help from BEXP). Once he got past the babying, he was quite a capable unit, taking little damage (something like 9 from Sephiran) and his high HP was helpful as well. Micaiah served as the primary healer for my endgame team and Ike is..well Ike, a total beast on the battlefield. What amused me about being forced all these units is that some of them weren't even forced on the map =/ Hell, the Endgame was great, and quite fun to play through.

10 - Supply Depot (1)
13 - Barracks
15 - Marine (1)
Volke Posted at: 09:26 Jan11 2009 Post ID: 2517826
Volke
Executioner
+
+
On 11-Jan-2009 Zaltias said:I ended up rushing those two chapters, a very different strategy from someone who usually methodically wipes out the enemy team. Coincidently, I'm up to the again one my second playthrough, so I'll try a new tactic.

My favourite flying unit was Haar. He was a pretty much a flying General, with his insane defence and strength and his other skills certainly weren't lacking. Jill had a few difficulties in the beginning, mainly with accuracy (having an average of about 67 or so), but a simple forged weapon all but solved this. Though, by part 4, Haar was obviously superior, so I pretty much abandoned Jill at that point. Her speed was quite good though.

With the array of powerful characters you have, I was slightly disappointed with the amount of the amount you could take to the Endgame. If I remember correctly, Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, Ena, Kurthnaga and Sanaki were forced along. A lot of the forced characters weren't totally useful, mainly Sothe, Ena and Sanaki. Sothe probably has potential, but I had neglected him totally, to the point where he promoted to whisper at a pathetic level 7. In theory, Bane sounds like good skill, but I've heard activation is rare (half of the unit's skill, the same as Aether I believe). Ena was just plain useless, with her pathetic damage, and I really didn't notice much of a difference with Bloodtide. Sanaki lost out mainly due to her bad speed, which wasn't helped by the fact that she used heavy tomes and her low strength. She had trouble doubling even Generals and in the end, I had her killing spirits. I was determined to use Kurth, seeing as he was the Black Dragon Prince, he looked cool and all, so I gave him a shot. Despite being horrible underleveled, giving him Paragon + Resolve + Adept made him quite powerful, once Resolve kicked in, he was able to double most things, and after a few level ups, one round stuff. He was level 30 by 4-E-3 and 40 by 4-E-4 (with some help from BEXP). Once he got past the babying, he was quite a capable unit, taking little damage (something like 9 from Sephiran) and his high HP was helpful as well. Micaiah served as the primary healer for my endgame team and Ike is..well Ike, a total beast on the battlefield. What amused me about being forced all these units is that some of them weren't even forced on the map =/ Hell, the Endgame was great, and quite fun to play through.
I'm glad to see someone shares my passion for killing everything in sight.

Jill is better than Haar. Go through the extra trouble needed to raise Jill, and compare them both at third tier you'll see the difference. Haar is still good though, and I sometimes use both.

I agree with you about Sothe (who is mediocre if you do bother to raise him), Sanaki and Ena. I could never be bothered to raise Kurthnaga up either, but judging by the information I have gathered, he does end up pretty good. Ike and Micaiah are both brilliant though. If you can get Micaiah's Speed up, she's a brilliant magical attacker too - very useful on Endgame 3. The only Endgame that annoyed me was the dragon one, actually. It takes absolutely ages, and one mistake can lead to a character being killed. Seeing as I'm a perfectionist, everyone must be alive by the end of the game. Even characters I never used. But on Hard mode, you can't Battle Save, so if I make a mistake, I have to start the whole chapter again.
Zaltias Posted at: 16:28 Jan11 2009 Post ID: 2518147
Zaltias
+
+
I'll give Jill more a chance this time around, up to part 2 Endgame now, which is one of my favourite chapters.

I agree that the dragon level was annoying. One reason I found for this was those defensive squares that gave insane bonuses, like + 10 or 15 defense or resistance and how conveniently the dragons seemed to be on them, so half the time I didn't notice them. The sheer number of dragons could also gang up on someone fairly quickly and while they had hit rates in the 40s and 50s, It takes one or two attacks at most to land a kill. It should be noted that Ena and Kurth can also attack the dragons without any fear of retaliation, which improves their usefulness here if you get stuck or something (though more often than not, Ena will hit practically nothing on them anyway) I also noticed that Micaiah can attack Sephiran without fear of a counter counter attack. (Sanaki doesn't even want to attack him)

10 - Supply Depot (1)
13 - Barracks
15 - Marine (1)
Volke Posted at: 07:01 Jan12 2009 Post ID: 2518536
Volke
Executioner
+
+
On 11-Jan-2009 Zaltias said:I'll give Jill more a chance this time around, up to part 2 Endgame now, which is one of my favourite chapters.

I agree that the dragon level was annoying. One reason I found for this was those defensive squares that gave insane bonuses, like + 10 or 15 defense or resistance and how conveniently the dragons seemed to be on them, so half the time I didn't notice them. The sheer number of dragons could also gang up on someone fairly quickly and while they had hit rates in the 40s and 50s, It takes one or two attacks at most to land a kill. It should be noted that Ena and Kurth can also attack the dragons without any fear of retaliation, which improves their usefulness here if you get stuck or something (though more often than not, Ena will hit practically nothing on them anyway) I also noticed that Micaiah can attack Sephiran without fear of a counter counter attack. (Sanaki doesn't even want to attack him)
I really would recommend it. She's always ended up better than Haar with me, although I have heard whispers of her occasionally getting some bad luck in terms of growths. Not that I've ever seen it.

Yeah, you have to be extra careful. I tried to put units with x2 ranged weapons on the furthest out square of a dragon's attack range. This is why I find Micaiah extremely useful in this chapter - because she deals excellent damage, the White dragons barely hurt her, and it takes three Red Dragon hits (or more if she's on one of the defence squares) to kill her. I know about the thing with Ena and Kurthnaga, but I couldn't be bothered because they weren't even able to two-shot Bishops earlier on.

That probably makes sense. After all, she is his descendant.
Zaltias Posted at: 00:45 Jan13 2009 Post ID: 2519541
Zaltias
+
+
Magic worked well in that chapter, due to the abundance of red dragons. Illyana and Rex Bolt was useful, which despite her lacking speed for most of the game, she could double Dragons (Bar Deghinsea) easily, though, not being able to double a dragon would be shocking for a third tier, seeing as they have pathetic speed. Deghinsea was probably one of the harder bosses in the game, probably on terms with Ashera in difficulty. Probably because the rush strategy I took with him meant that he had to be wiped out the turn I attacked him, otherwise my team would risk the chance of getting slaughtered due to Deghinsea's high damage output, not to mention the large number of dragons around him. Its really one of those chapters you have to make sure everyone is covered and healed most of the time, as the RNG will just want to be evil and you take 3 or 4 hits from a bunch of Dragons with only a 40% hit rate. ( A scenario that happened to Shinon and his Double Bow)

10 - Supply Depot (1)
13 - Barracks
15 - Marine (1)
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close