Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Gears of War 2

A comparison. The old and the new.

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Swampert_King456 Posted at: 17:29 Dec22 2008 Post ID: 2504665
Swampert_King456
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Remember when Gears 1 was a hardly known title? The forums here showed that perfectly. But yet, I feel that a lot is to be missed in Gears of War 2.

The casual in the first one for instance is exceptionally harder than the second game. And I'm not impressed much at all. I used to feel more than just care for characters. I still love Marcus and Dom, even Baird and Cole. The carmine brothers as well.

When the Berserker's showed up, I'd always be scared out of my skin, and I often stopped playing for a day when I couldn't kill them. This was on casual by the way.

But when I see a Brumak, all I see is an easy thing to kill. Honestly, on casual, three hits on the Brumak and it was dead. That made me sad, considering that Brumak's are twenty times the size of a berserker, and it took a hammer of dawn just to kill those things.

And even the end boss leaves more to be wanted. RAAM > Skorge imo. Skorge didn't even do any fighting either. He just sat on top of the Hydra and then he died when it exploded.

Gears of War > Gears of War 2. Felt more like a Final Fantasy game with the constant cutscenes. I'm all for good stories -- that's what gets me attached to characters -- but there were more cutscenes than actual gameplay. Especially in the beginning.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
sparkygiacchino116 Posted at: 10:20 Dec26 2008 Post ID: 2506532
sparkygiacchino116
+
+
While I agree with you Swampert_King456 on some things, I feel differently for others.

Agree:
First thing, is that RAAM is unbelievably difficult compared to Skorge...but how do we know for sure he does die when he falls off the Hydra.
Brumak's are pretty overrated in Gears 2...in Assault, a simple Troika rips them apart almost.

Disagree:
I don't think Gears 1 was really difficult at all compared to this one. I think they're equal. On Insane difficulty, Gears 1 was nearly impossible cause the bots couldn't do anything to save you...

Otherwise, I think you made some awesome points! What's your gamertag (if you have Live), and perhaps we could test out these theories.
Swampert_King456 Posted at: 15:26 Dec26 2008 Post ID: 2506642
Swampert_King456
+
+
Eh, I'm getting one. I dusted off my old Xbox 360 to play these games, but don't worry, I'll inform you once I get one.
poisin224 Posted at: 14:36 Jan14 2009 Post ID: 2520545
poisin224
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Trust me, play on insane and you will definitely want to take a little brake after the River Beastie(sorry, brain fart), Ticker Tunnel, and the Centaur mission (just to name a few) because my heart was pounding. The only reason I could even play on insane was because i played co-op with my little brother.
Like a FRIKIN' balloon!
ShadowStriker64 Posted at: 16:01 Jan14 2009 Post ID: 2520660
ShadowStriker64
The Young Lord
Post Likes: 3
+
+
insane yeesh i made it through the game on insane but only with my friend who is one of the best i no probally hte best well im equal (if u want to no the full story deathmatch first ot 5 4-4 ran out of time then he had to go) so it was act chapter 3 he was down and i had to risk it all to save him i did but then we both died but we learned something.in insane u cant do the other things u do on hardcore casual or normal u have to anticipate then attack.try it it worked for us

-Less Cringey Stuff here -

Avy+Sig done by Cyn check out his Shop in the Graphic-Requests Forum if it still exists.

REsoleSurvivor1000 Posted at: 21:51 Feb24 2009 Post ID: 2556287
REsoleSurvivor1000
+
+
I liked the character movement in the first Gears, but the camera tilt was annoying, and I believe that RAAM was a more satisfying kill than Skorge. Also I agree with Swampert_King456 on the Brumaks being too pansy, especially since it was indeed harder to kill the Berserkers and being more fun than the latter. But the chainsaw kills in the second are more satisfying (hehehehehe)Evil

« Last edited by REsoleSurvivor1000 on Feb 24th 2009 »

[color=#000099][size=48][b][font=Times New Roman]\"My hobbies, kicking a** and taking names!\"[/b][/color][/size][/font]
nicko 9000 Posted at: 17:47 Feb25 2009 Post ID: 2556692
nicko 9000
Icanhascustomtitle
+
+
On 14-Jan-2009 poisin224 said:Trust me, play on insane and you will definitely want to take a little brake after the River Beastie(sorry, brain fart), Ticker Tunnel, and the Centaur mission (just to name a few) because my heart was pounding. The only reason I could even play on insane was because i played co-op with my little brother.
River fish was no mroe difficult on insane, you just did the same things, shoot the eye, grenade the hole.

Ticker tunnel was easy if you let one of your friends act as cannon fodder, the tickers always blew up the bots instead of you, and for some reason, they don't splat like you do. If that fails, bash them then blind fire, I got through it using a pistol.

If you have skills like me, insane isn't so difficult ^_^. Just takes a change of tactic every now and again.

I do agree with OP that gears 1 campaign was better, there was more of a storyline. This time round it was kill, cutscene featuring walking, then an ambush, more killing, more cutscenes featuring walking and being ambushed.

Multiplayer is better on GoW2 though. However, they really spoiled gridlock by covering it in moss. It looks silly now.

Canals look ace now though. Rest arn't much different.

« Last edited by nicko 9000 on Feb 25th 2009 »
sXe

gigorga Posted at: 22:12 Apr26 2009 Post ID: 2607949
gigorga
+
+
Gears of war 1 is harder to move in. It feels like your 1337 pounds.
But the Shotgun and chainsaw was Over exaggerated. Literaly
The lighting in Gears Of war 1 was so anoying.. but they fixed that in gears 2.
Also Gears of war 1 has SO many checkpoints before talking scenes that you cannot skip.
"Marcus" - Starts walking slowly with finger on ear-

Eh... theres alot more but i gotta go lol peace.
ShadowStriker64 Posted at: 04:34 Jun11 2009 Post ID: 2643311
ShadowStriker64
The Young Lord
Post Likes: 3
+
+
new ones

Gears of War 1 i found was annoying because when u got shot a lot u didnt crawl like on GOW2 but u dided instantly.

In Gears of War 1 Carmine died in the 1st or 2nd mission.

Gears of War 2 RUin multiplayer map is annoying at first but gets better as u play it.

Gears of War 1 has lots of checkpoints which is kinda better since in GOW2 you could make it far then die and have to go back.

Brumaks are hard to kill but berserkers where harder.(took me 20 minutes to find out how to beat it,before i just kept shooting)

Shotgun is too powerful and at some points unfair.In Multiplayer i was playing and had my shotgun out. I met with an enemy and shot but he didnt die but i did.

Fun Tip see how long it takes to take out a team in multiplayer. 47 secs is my record

-Less Cringey Stuff here -

Avy+Sig done by Cyn check out his Shop in the Graphic-Requests Forum if it still exists.

SGLeroy Posted at: 03:38 Jun30 2009 Post ID: 2660766
SGLeroy
+
+
I miss Gears Of War 1 For its EXCESSIVE Ragdolism. The shotgun was so over exaggerated that it is possible for someones organs to fly across the map.

And I also miss the CUT OFF SCENES.

Were when you die online, it literally cuts off as soon as you die, or it shows like a miliseccond of you getting owned and it cuts off.

Also Gears Of war 1 , it was hard to do "black dodging" thats what me and my friends call it.
Running against cover and getting off it was horrible. Luckily it was fixed in Gears 2.

Also I miss the excessive reactions to when you chainsaw someone in Gears 1. In Gears 2 they dont SPAZ out as much.

Comparing the Gears 1 shotgun to gears 2, the Gears 1 SUCKED for far range. At least in gears 2 if you shoot someone from far, it actually does something!

Also, Gears 1 The Sniper was the most rigged weapon in the entire game, due to the 1 shot down with an active. Changed in Gears 2.

I ALSO MISS THE EXCESSIVE POWER ON THE BOLTOK PISTOL. ON CAMPAIGNE, WHEN YOU KILL SOMEONE WITH THE BOLTOK THEY RANDOMLY RIP INTO PIECES in gears 1

The boomershot/Frag Grenades In gears 1 sucked SO bad. explosion radius was horrible, and they just sucked in general.

The chairs/couches in Gears 1 had toooo much detail put into them when you broke them to the point it lagged your xbox. Gears 2 they put it down to a normal level.

Wretches dont do that stupid over powered scream in gears 2

The lighting in Gears 1 was so horrible, it gives me a headache.
Gears 2 its normal.

Also Gears 1 felt like a lonely game, But in gears 2 it feels more... hmm uh..public

Theron Gaurd doesnt say "stay cool" -part in campaigne marcus's house bottom of staircase- anymore, but at least Skorge rays "ROFL."

Gears 1 population is mostly filled with pros, while Gears 2 community is being consumed by noobs just like halo.
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close