Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Grand Theft Auto 4

No R18+ rating to blame for GTA IV cuts in Australia: Rockstar

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

koolkid24 Posted at: 01:14 Apr10 2008 Post ID: 2191455
koolkid24
Post Likes: 1
+
+
Rockstar says cuts to Aussie version of GTA IV are "not significant"; calls for introduction of R18+ rating for games in Australia.

By Randolph Ramsay, GameSpot AU

Last week, news reports surfaced that Rockstar was forced to censor the Australian version of Grand Theft Auto IV in order to ensure it passed through the country's strict classification regime. A statement released today from the company confirms that Rockstar did indeed submit an edited version of Grand Theft Auto IV to Australia's classification board, with the developer laying the blame squarely on Australia's lack of an R18+ rating for games as the reason for the changes.

While Rockstar did not divulge exactly what modifications have been made to the Aussie version of GTA IV, the statement said those changes were "not significant". "While there are some minor differences between the Australian and US/EU versions, they are not significant and we do not believe they take away from the level of scope and detail that make GTA IV such an incredible experience. We would not release the game in Australia if we believed these differences compromised the quality of the game in any way," Rockstar said.

According to Rockstar, edits were required to GTA IV to ensure it would pass under Australia's highest classification for games, MA15+. Unlike other forms of media which have an R18+ rating (meaning it's restricted for sale to adults 18 years or older), games in Australia have to be rated MA15+ or lower in order to be legally sold in the country. "Unlike the US and Europe, Australia still lacks an R18+ rating for video games and as a result many games are edited for release in Australia, including most previous Grand Theft Auto releases," the statement said.

"We strongly support the Office of Film and Literature Classification and will continue to work within their guidelines; however we believe the government needs to bring games in line with other media by introducing an R18+ rating, or edits to games will continue to be necessary. We encourage consumers to let their politicians know that they support an R18+ rating for games."
I'm Back!!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
SilentGamer Posted at: 01:24 Apr10 2008 Post ID: 2191457
SilentGamer
Post Likes: 0
+
+
yeah i know its freakin really crap. Its kinda like the recall of GTA:SA for pc due to being able to mod it to see the having "It" and being able to change positions and stuff......

Me and a few other mates shelled out $130 ea for the pre order for the 360 version and now we are getting ripped off with a censored version...... really really peeved at that decission.

I think all aussies gamers including myself are extremely annoyed by this. Im even thinking of going back and getting my money back and not buying this at all.

Everyone who has a xbox 360 jion this team
Paired With; Harlsta, Cheating-Is-Good, Tegan41
avy = photobucket
LukeAndMeLoveGonads You Will Be Missed
75% Chance of me leaving once i get 5k posts. ~300 posts to go....
dyoung15 Posted at: 19:18 Apr10 2008 Post ID: 2192906
dyoung15
+
+
Ow man that has to stink for yall especially the ones who pre ordered it.
Call me Spanks

^ Credit goes to .Impact^

cheating-is-good Posted at: 19:22 Apr10 2008 Post ID: 2192911
cheating-is-good
+
+
Thats such bullshite. Still, they said the changes weren't significant.

I love the statement at the end about politicians, priceless.
Great, I'm moving. Who knows when you'll see me again.
SilentGamer Posted at: 19:46 Apr10 2008 Post ID: 2192948
SilentGamer
+
+
if they decided to tell us this before pre order was avaible it would have been nice....

Everyone who has a xbox 360 jion this team
Paired With; Harlsta, Cheating-Is-Good, Tegan41
avy = photobucket
LukeAndMeLoveGonads You Will Be Missed
75% Chance of me leaving once i get 5k posts. ~300 posts to go....
Ace Of Spades 117 Posted at: 16:49 Apr17 2008 Post ID: 2204043
Ace Of Spades 117
+
+
On 10-Apr-2008 SilentGamer said:yeah i know its freakin really crap. Its kinda like the recall of GTA:SA for pc due to being able to mod it to see the having "It" and being able to change positions and stuff......

Me and a few other mates shelled out $130 ea for the pre order for the 360 version and now we are getting ripped off with a censored version...... really really peeved at that decission.

I think all aussies gamers including myself are extremely annoyed by this. Im even thinking of going back and getting my money back and not buying this at all.
Haha,sorry SG

But Austailia is more strict than US

Mad

My Xbox Live Gamertag is TheAOS117,add me!
Xbox 360 Helper series on Youtube
This is the way I pray.
2 Years at Supercheats,2 Years of Wrestling and Joy plus more.
cheatos_42 Posted at: 11:56 Apr29 2008 Post ID: 2221071
cheatos_42
+
+
Well, it used to be a place fo british prisoners, so it must be pretty strict.
It may cost more, but why not import it?
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close