Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Pokemon Diamond

Overpowered moves and abilities

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Penguin4.0 Posted at: 15:50 Feb27 2007 Post ID: 1403195
Penguin4.0
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Some of the moves and abilities created in diamond and pearl have made the game simple to defeat your foe in a battle abilities such as no armor have been stated before but other moves such as somersault, an attack version of baton pass, are very unfair and take away the entire use of other moves. I want to hear the opinion of other members of this website to see if they consider these new moves and abilities overpowered and what exact moves and abilities would you state in general.

Join Brawl Central for the ultimate super smash brothers experience http://teams.supercheats.co...lcentral

Brawl friend code: 3179-5772-9142
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
nyeem78 Posted at: 16:12 Feb27 2007 Post ID: 1403324
nyeem78
Victini Dream World
+
+
This is an interesting topic. I like somersault but I see where your going with this.

Somersault is like a hit and run kinda move...lol

Will research some more and expoud on the rest.
Trainer: NIKO
Pokemon B/W Friend Code:
3783-4062-8709

Blazin Torchic Posted at: 16:13 Feb27 2007 Post ID: 1403326
Blazin Torchic
+
+
I like Somersault. There aren't a lot of damaging bug moves. What I think is overpowered are the one-hit-KO moves because you can use Lock-On/Mind Reader to make the attacks 100% accuracy.
Penguin4.0 Posted at: 17:05 Feb27 2007 Post ID: 1403509
Penguin4.0
+
+
With somersault though a pokemon such as a ninjask can use a normal baton pass strategy but with somersault and sword dance you will not only be able to pass on higher amount of speed and attack but you will also able to defeat a pokemon while performing this strategy too.

Join Brawl Central for the ultimate super smash brothers experience http://teams.supercheats.co...lcentral

Chaos� Posted at: 17:51 Feb27 2007 Post ID: 1403640
Chaos�
+
+
I know exactly what you're talking about, and when wi-fi comes out, somersault can be highly overused, to the point where most battles that you might have in wi-fi, there's a 70-80& chance of a pokemon with that move, or something similar to quickly take you out of a battle, but I like somersault, but I wouldn't use it in wi-fi, because I have better plans on coming up with movesets, Im not saying that somersault is bad, its just that I don't like moves that are going to be used all the time in wi-fi, so I hope that Somersault really isnt a overused move (when pokemon pearl/diamond comes out) Hit and Run sounds cool, but how much of that can you take? Before losing your mind, lol XD But on the other hand, somersault is good for a last punch before you are "about" to faint, so you can get a free hit and still swap pokemon.
[center]
Blazin Torchic Posted at: 19:32 Feb27 2007 Post ID: 1404007
Blazin Torchic
+
+
Well, yeah but on Wi-Fi connection, people will use AR for really powerful attacks. Like for Emerald, you could make a Blaziken use Surf. The codes let any pokemon learn any attack.
Chaos� Posted at: 21:11 Feb27 2007 Post ID: 1404194
Chaos�
+
+
On 27-Feb-2007 Blazin Torchic said:Well, yeah but on Wi-Fi connection, people will use AR for really powerful attacks. Like for Emerald, you could make a Blaziken use Surf. The codes let any pokemon learn any attack.
Thats true, but those attacks can be avoided (as in, treared normally), and are on a diff. scale than the somersault. (somersualt is diff. cause you can hit and run, while normal attacks like surf and fire blast are just normal attacks thats been out for ages, and who hasn't put surf and hydro cannon on fire pokemon if they own a AR?)
[center]
Blazin Torchic Posted at: 21:44 Feb27 2007 Post ID: 1404240
Blazin Torchic
+
+
That's true. I guess I was thinking weirdly.
Fwank Posted at: 02:56 Feb28 2007 Post ID: 1404404
Fwank
Post Likes: 4
+
+
not to mention surf on blaze... what are you trying to hit? something blaze can hit harder without surf? (rock? ground? what you trying to hit?)

imo the new gen is well balanced; even with the addition of new abilities and movesets the old pokes meerly become "usable" rather than "imba"

regarding somersault: disagreed on my account, you stil need to outspeed your opponent to avoid gettin hit, and your tag takes the punishment instead just like any other switch/pass, not to mention they don't recieve your stat bonuses (if they did, yes, overpowered indeed, however stat uppers are countered regularly even with old hazers, so the problem isn't anything glaring)

stuff worth mentioning:

rdosaidon - rhydon was already decent, but they gave it an evolution and an ability that lets it survive what would've been OHKOs... if it had changed types to dual steel would've been really broken

trait: psychic dream - and on hypno and jynx no less, there will be a decline in tauntmentors if this trait literali allows you to see their movesets... this isn't imba, but if simply bringing in the pokemon can allow you to see their movesets, alot of the current stratergies being employed to do this will be dropped (sigh... no more umbreon...)

item: full stomach incense - attacks first, enough said
nyeem78 Posted at: 12:54 Feb28 2007 Post ID: 1404938
nyeem78
Victini Dream World
+
+
I actually like most of the overpowered moves. It makes the person your battling more competitive knowing that you got moves that are one hit-ko's or overpowered.

The other person might battle harder to take that pokemon down.
Trainer: NIKO
Pokemon B/W Friend Code:
3783-4062-8709

Fwank Posted at: 08:00 Mar01 2007 Post ID: 1405342
Fwank
+
+
well i wouldn't call anything overpowered unless it took away the balance of the game, and it wouldn't be considered as such if it could take down some pokes but not others... but i may have missed something, i'd like to hear what you consider to be overpowered

but the held item that lets you attack first, i can't see anything balanced about that... trick room might allow you to attack first before holders of that item does, but that can be countered easily, and it's not even confirmed whether trick room works on that item or not (but seeing as there is an item that allows you to attack last, i'm fairly convinced) i remain skeptical about this item; it'll probably be limited to held only by certain pokemon (snorlax etc...? which is stil imba) however, considering that it's a one-per-game item, it's probably considered as pretty balanced... *shrug*
Penguin4.0 Posted at: 14:10 Mar02 2007 Post ID: 1406968
Penguin4.0
+
+
There is also the move known as trouble seed which changes your opponent's ability to insomnia bu this move will be very useful during double battles due to the fact that it could be used on your partner slaking giving slaking the possibility to be able to attck every turn instead of slaking off every other turn making slaking become an even more powerful pokemon due to this move.

king26 Posted at: 17:01 Mar02 2007 Post ID: 1407623
king26
+
+
Yes but what does insomnia do?
Sumersolt great move, bugs hardly have any good moves and that makes it hard to take down some pokes.
no armour is some what overpowered but the oponent gets the same affect.

sig made at THE SHOP!
EspeonDude_ Posted at: 18:02 Mar02 2007 Post ID: 1407727
EspeonDude_
+
+
Somersault is going to be overused. You basicly damage something, then switch. Meaning, you can score some damage against Milotic, knowing it will use Hypnosis and switch to something with a Status ailment/wall of Milo etc.

I like some moves, like Cross Poison(needs to go to Heracross, thank you). Others are crap.

[hmespeon -at- hotmail -dot- com] <~ MSN.
Penguin4.0 Posted at: 18:25 Mar02 2007 Post ID: 1407758
Penguin4.0
+
+
On 02-Mar-2007 king26 said:Yes but what does insomnia do?
Sumersolt great move, bugs hardly have any good moves and that makes it hard to take down some pokes.
no armour is some what overpowered but the oponent gets the same affect.
Insomnia stops a pokemon going to sleep from moves such as hypnosis and sleep powder making it a very useful tatic against pokemon that use these moves.

Fwank Posted at: 02:44 Mar03 2007 Post ID: 1408608
Fwank
+
+
as i've mentioned before, double battles got a boost in the 4th gen... regigigas was another i envisioned a use for trouble seed (other than the fact that insomnia would screw up resters or basically screw up their ability) but that's double battles, that's messed beyond balance... control factors are small =\

no armor meerly grants accuracy, dynamic punch/cross chop are stil just as powerful... i'd still prefer guts for the extra power

there're stil glaring counters to everything i can think of... somersault doesn't really have one but its still situational at best
akacha Posted at: 22:43 Mar03 2007 Post ID: 1411374
akacha
+
+
actually regigigas cant even learn how to learn rest

I still think the bugs need somersault then i might actually use a bug type lol

« Last edited by akacha on Mar 3rd 2007 »
Fwank Posted at: 08:15 Mar05 2007 Post ID: 1413563
Fwank
+
+
yah, imagine if it could tho... so imba *drools*
sonickid Posted at: 15:24 Mar05 2007 Post ID: 1414094
sonickid
Post Likes: 1
+
+
Well what if it has the special ability insomnia? Then ir dosent matter =o
EspeonDude_ Posted at: 18:34 Mar07 2007 Post ID: 1419608
EspeonDude_
+
+
Also think of this. Ninjask Baton Pass chains might be able to be broken.

Example: Leadoff uses Somersault, breaks Ninjask sub, switches to Weezing. No way the chain will work now.

[hmespeon -at- hotmail -dot- com] <~ MSN.
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close