Joined: 7 Dec 2007
Post Likes: 0
Hopefully these tips will help you out if you are struggling to catch these 3 pokemon; Entei, Raikou and Suicune. After you drop down Burned Tower and make them run off, they will randomly run around Johto until you catch them. There are certain points you need to remember and know:
- All three will remain lvl 40 in the wild throughout the game.
- All three will attempt to run on their first battle turn.
- All three move around incredibly fast and do not stay in the same location long
- All three potentially know the move 'Roar' but this is not a guarantee.
- All three only appear in tall grass in Johto
- All three will change location when you Fly
- All three will NOT regenerate any HP during the game regardless of number of battles however their status will change back to normal.
Whilst travelling around Johto you will hopefully run into these three at least once whilst you are training up in the patches of grass. These will mean they are entered onto your Pokedex - this will be an incredibly useful tool when it comes to catching them.
In 6 years of having the game, I have seen these two Pokemon loads. I mostly see them around these areas:
Entei - Frequently hangs around Route 34 (Goldenrod), Route 29 (New Bark Town) and Route 38 (Olivine City)
Raikou - Tends to hang around Route 34 (Goldenrod), Route 30/31 (CherryGrove City) and Route 29 (New Bark Town)
The third, Suicune, is a different matter however. Only until a few weeks ago did I decide it was time to see and catch this son of a ***** once and for all. After hanging around the areas the other two are usually found there was no luck. So, I headed to the north part of the map due to it's connection with the north wind. Finally, I saw it and was able to track it's movement on the Pokedex. It does head south on occasions, but it was rare.
Suicune - Usually hangs around the North part of Johto, especially Route 36 (Ecruteak City), Route 42 (Mahogany Town), Route 43 (Lake of Rage) and Route 45 (Blackthorn City)
Hopefully now you will have all three sighted on your Pokedex. Now it's time to catch them. I treated the three dogs as if there were in two teams, Entei and Raikou (Team 1), and Suicune (Team 2) on it's own. You will have probably read that Repel's help with finding these dogs, but I strongly disagree. This method I used had me with all 3 dogs in under a week. Firstly, you need to train two pokemon;
- Train this pokemon up to level 44 or higher with False Swipe. This will prove important later on. Level it up by taking it through the Elite Four several times. It can be caught in the Bug Catching Contest.
- Catch a Jynx in Ice Path. Level it up to level 50 and have it know the following moves; Lovely Kiss and Mean Look. Lovely kiss has an exceptional accuracy rate and is heavily important in these encounters (a missed sleep move could result in the legendaries running away). Again, to level it up, take it through the Elite Four. It will annihilate most of their pokemon on it's own if you teach it Psychic and Ice Punch. It is important it is level 50 so it's speed is quicker than the dogs.
Once you have these two, it's time to catch your beasts.
Team 1 - Entei and Raikou
- Have a pokemon that knows fly.
- Fly to New Bark Town, and Check your Pokedex to see where Entei and Raikou are
- If one of them appears on Route 29 or Route 46 get on your bike and head to the nearest grass in that area.
- If one does not appear near there, simply fly to New Bark Town again and check again. Rinse and Repeat till one appears close.
- Have Jynx first in your party.
- Ride around on your bike in the nearest patch of grass for a while. Run away from weak Pokemon.
- Do NOT use repel as stated in other tip methods and manual. A legendary's sighting is based on battle percentage (e.g. 1 in 20 chance of appearing). If you use a repel, you lower the chances of a battle itself, so the chance of seeing a legendary is lower. Plus, if you are using this method completely as stated, your Jynx will be lvl 50 or above, meaning even less battles. Keep your repels at home is my advice.
- Keep checking your Pokedex to make sure it is in the area
- After around 1-10 fights, your legendary should appear. Firstly, use Mean Look, this will stop it from running. Should your legendary know Roar, you will have to change your strategy. Rather than using Mean Look first, use Lovely Kiss. It is possible it will fail and your legendary will run, but it is a risk worth taking as this method had me with 4 sightings in 30 minutes.
- Once Mean Looked and Asleep, bring out Scyther. Use False Swipe to take it's HP down to 1. Should the legendary awake, it may run - depending on whether Mean Look wears out. But don't worry, it won't regen HP. Simply use the method again, and put it to sleep with 1 HP left.
- Once Low on HP and Asleep throw Ultra Balls. It will take 7-12 depending on luck.
This works for both Raikou and Entei. I managed to catch both in roughly 8 hours of trying after I had spotted them. Suicune is different - this will take a little longer.
Team 2 - Suicune
As i say, Suicune is a different kettle of fish. Because of it's relevance to the 'North Wind' I have seen distinct pathing differences from the other two. Everytime I changed route or went into a building, Suicune changed route - usually heading to the next route North. So this is what you do;
- Buy tons and tons of Ultra/Great b@lls and bring lots of Fast B@lls
- Fly to Blackthorn City
- Check your Pokedex, see if Suicune is on Route 46. (This is the Southern part of Route 45, and is off Route 29 which is near New Bark Town).
- If it isn't rince and repeat until it is.
- If it is, cycle down onto route 45, this will mean Suicune will now be on route 45. Check your pokedex for clarification. If not, start over.
- Cycle on route 45, sticking to the grass as much as possible and run from weak pokemon.
- Like the other two, do NOT use repel.
- When you see him, Mean Look and Lovely Kiss. It is more than likely your Suicune will know Roar, so you may have to alternate your strategy to make sure he is always asleep. The encounter will be a little rarer than the other two dogs, so keep checking your pokedex.
- Suicune's pathing is a lot rarer than the other two, as there is only a certain way you are bound to meet on the same route by using Fly. It may take a while until you catch this guy. The important thing is to get it to 1 HP as fast as possible, even if it means placing Scyther in your first party place for a while.
- Use Ultra B@lls and Fast B@lls when Suicune is on 1 hp and asleep. I highly recommend to stock up on Fast B@lls, as Suicune is still very difficult to catch.
And there you go. I hope this information helped. From my experience, Raikou and Entei are far easier to catch than Suicune. Suicune requires patience and a lot of b@lls but is worth it in the end. It took me 6 hours from seeing Suicune to catching it.
Good luck! I hope this information has helped.
« Last edited by Cramp on Dec 7th 2007 »