Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Marth VS Roy!

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Previous | Next
gamesubmitter Posted at: 09:28 Dec22 2007 Post ID: 2042023
gamesubmitter
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
I couldn't find any hard facts yet in compaison so I am going to just say my opinion.

Marth's sword is longer so he can fight at a better distance and hit the enemy before he reaches you better than Roy could. His sweet spot is at the end of his sword so he can take advantage of that as Roy has to get closer to do mroe damage and Roy tipper isn't as good as marth's.

Marth floats better for better Di and time to think and has much better jumping and vertical B ^. BUT Roy's B^ is way better vertically than Marth's and has included fire whith a btter knock back than Marth does. Roy is a fast faller and can reduce chance of chainthrows.

Marth's Dair spike is easy to use and mroe safer to use than Roy's.

I got more to say but want to find percentages atm.

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Volke Posted at: 10:21 Dec22 2007 Post ID: 2042093
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
+
Everyone who said Roy is better is an idiot. It's fine if you prefer him, but saying he's better than Marth is plain stupid. The reasons:

Roy is not actually strongre than Marth. Out of the eleven basic attacks performed by hitting the opponent at both characters' sweet spots, six are stronger when performed by Marth, four are stronger when performed by Roy and the last does equal damage.

Marth's charged B move is far more useful than Roy's. Roy's is only more powerful when unleashed at full power. Until then, it's weaker than Marth's, and it takes too long to charge up to full power. Marth's is obviously best at full power, but is still a good move at any power, which makes it useful for edgeguarding. It also takes much less time to charge up to full power, and even though it's not as strong as Roy's full power, it's still usually more than enouhg to send an opponent flying.

Marth's sweet spot is on the tip of the blade, whilst Roy's is in the middle, meaning that roy has to get within almost suicidal range to execute the most powerful blows, whilst Marth can attack from a safe distance without much fear of counter attacks. Marth's sword is also longer.

Marth is great on all fronts, but his true strength lies in aerial attacking and edgeguarding, mainly due to his speed and his sweet spot. Roy is not good at either, due to his sub-average speed and his rubbish sweet spot, and has to rely mostly on ground attacking and throws, which Marth can also perform much better.

Marth can jump far higher, he falls more slowly, and he can recover much better (by using the first move of the Dancing Blade combo continuously, which Roy cannot do for reasons unknown).

Marth is faster.

Despite all of this, Roy is easier to use correctly. Marth is more of an advanced character. If you're a beginner, stick with Roy before moving onto Marth.

And just incase I haven't provided enough evidence that Marth is better, I'd like to inform you all that the world's best Roy player uses Marth as his main character, and never uses Roy in serious battles because he's so unreliable.
Dark Chaos™ Posted at: 01:29 Dec23 2007 Post ID: 2043244
Dark Chaos™
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I prefered Roy before. Then I got the hang of marth, so Im with marth.

« Last edited by Dark Chaos? on Dec 23rd 2007 »
Me ish .Impact
TwilightPrince Posted at: 01:36 Dec23 2007 Post ID: 2043249
TwilightPrince
+
+
On 22-Dec-2007 Volke said:Everyone who said Roy is better is an idiot. It's fine if you prefer him, but saying he's better than Marth is plain stupid. The reasons:

Roy is not actually strongre than Marth. Out of the eleven basic attacks performed by hitting the opponent at both characters' sweet spots, six are stronger when performed by Marth, four are stronger when performed by Roy and the last does equal damage.

Marth's charged B move is far more useful than Roy's. Roy's is only more powerful when unleashed at full power. Until then, it's weaker than Marth's, and it takes too long to charge up to full power. Marth's is obviously best at full power, but is still a good move at any power, which makes it useful for edgeguarding. It also takes much less time to charge up to full power, and even though it's not as strong as Roy's full power, it's still usually more than enouhg to send an opponent flying.

Marth's sweet spot is on the tip of the blade, whilst Roy's is in the middle, meaning that roy has to get within almost suicidal range to execute the most powerful blows, whilst Marth can attack from a safe distance without much fear of counter attacks. Marth's sword is also longer.

Marth is great on all fronts, but his true strength lies in aerial attacking and edgeguarding, mainly due to his speed and his sweet spot. Roy is not good at either, due to his sub-average speed and his rubbish sweet spot, and has to rely mostly on ground attacking and throws, which Marth can also perform much better.

Marth can jump far higher, he falls more slowly, and he can recover much better (by using the first move of the Dancing Blade combo continuously, which Roy cannot do for reasons unknown).

Marth is faster.

Despite all of this, Roy is easier to use correctly. Marth is more of an advanced character. If you're a beginner, stick with Roy before moving onto Marth.

And just incase I haven't provided enough evidence that Marth is better, I'd like to inform you all that the world's best Roy player uses Marth as his main character, and never uses Roy in serious battles because he's so unreliable.
Ok seriously you don't have to call us Idoits just cause we perfer roy and you don't.
.:Join My Team TwilightPrince:.

Credit to Me for Signature.
MSN:TwilightPrince_1234atHotmailcom
Dark Chaos™ Posted at: 01:47 Dec23 2007 Post ID: 2043256
Dark Chaos™
Forum GuestMember
+
+
He said it's fine if you PREFER, but if you think Roy is better, then you're an idiot(no offense)
Me ish .Impact
gamesubmitter Posted at: 10:28 Dec23 2007 Post ID: 2043538
gamesubmitter
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Yes this preferring and facts stuff also goes with Link and pichu IMO but i won't get into that atm

Volke Posted at: 10:34 Dec23 2007 Post ID: 2043548
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
+
On 23-Dec-2007 TwilightPrince said:Ok seriously you don't have to call us Idoits just cause we perfer roy and you don't.
I'm sure you were one of the ones who said Roy is better. Nevertheless, I didn't post all that just because I think Marth is better, it's because Marth IS better unless your rank ranges from beginner to intermediate. Roy isn't a bad character by all means, his rank would sit around the middle of all the characters. However, I explained why Marth is better. I didn't just make all that up. What I posted were undeniable facts that I didn't make up on my own.

You would do well to trust my verdict. I even used to be a Roy user myself before I began to improve more and before I realised that, if used correctly, Marth exceeds. If you don't want to listen to me, then that's your choice, I've no problem with it. You can prefer Roy all you want, but stating that he's better is a load of bullcrap.
Rin Dragon Posted at: 20:33 Dec23 2007 Post ID: 2044426
Rin Dragon
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I prefer Marth. He's faster and I tend to use more aerials than ground moves. I did use Roy but he quickly was proven too slow for my tastes.
Procrastinator Posted at: 07:17 Dec24 2007 Post ID: 2044788
Procrastinator
+
+
Marth is better to me, since he's good at mid-range attacks. The tip of Marth's sword is the strongest, so all it takes is a nip, which is a good advantage to have.
Oli_ftw Posted at: 05:03 Dec25 2007 Post ID: 2045749
Oli_ftw
Post Likes: 1
+
+
Roy comes before Marth on the tier list :P just thought id say

Marth is top tier Smile Roy is Middle Tier =[

Top Tier
Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper Tier
Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High Tier
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Middle Tier
Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Lower Tier
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom Tier
Mewtwo
Pichu Personally i dont think the tier list means anything, if based on skill then its completely wrong but i just thought id post it
I'm a jerk
TwilightPrince Posted at: 05:11 Dec25 2007 Post ID: 2045751
TwilightPrince
+
+
On 23-Dec-2007 Volke said:I'm sure you were one of the ones who said Roy is better. Nevertheless, I didn't post all that just because I think Marth is better, it's because Marth IS better unless your rank ranges from beginner to intermediate. Roy isn't a bad character by all means, his rank would sit around the middle of all the characters. However, I explained why Marth is better. I didn't just make all that up. What I posted were undeniable facts that I didn't make up on my own.

You would do well to trust my verdict. I even used to be a Roy user myself before I began to improve more and before I realised that, if used correctly, Marth exceeds. If you don't want to listen to me, then that's your choice, I've no problem with it. You can prefer Roy all you want, but stating that he's better is a load of bullcrap.
Did i say he was better then marth?
Well i like using Roy,but i decided to give it a go and practice
with Marth,and i did see what you ment about some of his attacks.
.:Join My Team TwilightPrince:.

Credit to Me for Signature.
MSN:TwilightPrince_1234atHotmailcom
TWILIGHT LINK Posted at: 20:04 Dec26 2007 Post ID: 2047303
TWILIGHT LINK
Post Likes: 2
+
+
On 23-Dec-2007 Volke said:I'm sure you were one of the ones who said Roy is better. Nevertheless, I didn't post all that just because I think Marth is better, it's because Marth IS better unless your rank ranges from beginner to intermediate. Roy isn't a bad character by all means, his rank would sit around the middle of all the characters. However, I explained why Marth is better. I didn't just make all that up. What I posted were undeniable facts that I didn't make up on my own.

To be honest with you Volke, it doesn't really matter who you, me, or anyone else says. There is really no better character. The better character is just based on your skill with that character.

I can say that Link is the best, and my brother will dissagree with me and say that Luigi is the best. (And let me tell you, he's the best Luigi player I've seen.)

My point being, that we all have a different oppinion about these characters. There is no best! They were all made evenly matched. The lightest character has the capability to defeat the heaviest character. You like Marth Volke, while maybe half of us here prefer Roy. It all just depends on our skills. You would kick my @$$ all over the place, I'm sure if you were Marth, and I was Roy. But it may be different if I were to fight you with Link. It just all depends on one's skills.

Some veteran player who plays as Roy, could come play as Marth still get his *** kicked. Or some Master with Marth could play, and get HIS *** kicked by Jigglypuff, for example.

Get it?

Marth is faster, and not as heavy and lagging, but Roy could be used just as fast I'm sure.

« Last edited by TWILIGHT LINK on Dec 26th 2007 »

Credit for Sig & Avy goes to Yogi_Bear
gamesubmitter Posted at: 21:18 Dec26 2007 Post ID: 2047399
gamesubmitter
Forum GuestMember
+
+
statistically we are calling Marth better, not on skill level TL.

TWILIGHT LINK Posted at: 23:46 Dec26 2007 Post ID: 2047551
TWILIGHT LINK
+
+
Well I'm just trying to get my point across.u_U

gamesubmitter Posted at: 00:53 Dec27 2007 Post ID: 2047596
gamesubmitter
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Yes you did. But it sounde dlike you were saying that Volke was saying he is better overall but he meant statistically.

TWILIGHT LINK Posted at: 11:19 Dec27 2007 Post ID: 2048020
TWILIGHT LINK
+
+
Well I'm sorry if I may have said anything to make you mad Volke. I mainly got mad when you said, "Whoever said Roy is better is an idiot."

« Last edited by TWILIGHT LINK on Dec 27th 2007 »

Procrastinator Posted at: 06:57 Dec28 2007 Post ID: 2048993
Procrastinator
+
+
I like Marth better, but calling someone an idiot for liking a different thing isn't necessary. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.
Oli_ftw Posted at: 14:38 Dec28 2007 Post ID: 2049485
Oli_ftw
Post Likes: 1
+
+
On 28-Dec-2007 Procrastinator said:I like Marth better, but calling someone an idiot for liking a different thing isn't necessary. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.
He said it's fine if you prefer but saying Roy is better makes you an idiot. =] <3
I'm a jerk
TobiasXelKythe Posted at: 19:23 Dec28 2007 Post ID: 2049954
TobiasXelKythe
+
+
Skill matters way more than character choice. But that doesn't mean that some characters aren't inherently better than others.

So saying something like "the better character is just based on your skill with that character" is kinda flawed to begin with. If you were going to think about how good the CHARACTERS were relative to each other, you'd want to get rid of the variable?in this case, player skill. So if you had two players of EXACTLY EQUAL SKILL, who knew everything about every character and had them play every match up in the game over and over again, recording results, you'd end up with certain characters with more victories than others, just because that's how the game is imbalanced.

There are character counters, so like DK is below average when compared to the entire cast. But in certain matchups, like against Fox, he actually does really well if the DK player can chaingrab and zero-to-death Fox. DK has that potential. But Fox still does better against most of the other characters than DK does.

And there are people that are prodigious with otherwise "bad" characters. Bum plays DK and has beaten some of the top pros with their top characters. Luigi KA-Master uses Luigi and got 9th, I think at one of the largest Melee tournaments ever. But that's player skill. As a generality, the character still doesn't have as much going for him as the "higher tier" characters.

==================================

Roy is really good. There's a Roy player in Houston named Sethlon who is absolutely amazing, and he taught me a lot of things about Roy. Roy has combos that work really well. He just a lot of trouble getting kills off efficiently. A good Marth player can combo anything into a kill just by leading into an f-smash or getting them off the stage and raping with edgeguards.

Roy can put together combos based around d-tilt and f-air, but they don't lead anywhere. You get damage up, but in order to kill, you're looking for very specific f-smash setups, or just lucky moments where you manage to get people off the stage. And Roy has a lot of trouble comboing characters that are floatier, because he falls fast and doesn't jump as well, so he can't chase and juggle them like Marth can. If they get too far, they'll recover and escape/hit Roy before he gets a chance to follow up.

Those are Roy's biggest two problems, I think. He lacks knockback and stun on combo moves so it's hard to carry people and combo into kills. And he's limited on what characters he can combo, whereas he is a fast faller and can get combo'd pretty easily by most of the cast, so he tends to have matchups that are slightly tipped against him.

And on the flipside, Marth is just kinda... universally amazing.

« Last edited by TobiasXelKythe on Dec 28th 2007 »
LUIGI'S GAME IS STEPPING UP [ www.freewebs.com/tobiasxk/LuigiFAQ.txt ]
TWILIGHT LINK Posted at: 19:32 Dec28 2007 Post ID: 2049964
TWILIGHT LINK
+
+
On 28-Dec-2007 TobiasXelKythe said:Skill matters way more than character choice. But that doesn't mean that some characters aren't inherently better than others.

So saying something like "the better character is just based on your skill with that character" is kinda flawed to begin with. If you were going to think about how good the CHARACTERS were relative to each other, you'd want to get rid of the variable?in this case, player skill. So if you had two players of EXACTLY EQUAL SKILL, who knew everything about every character and had them play every match up in the game over and over again, recording results, you'd end up with certain characters with more victories than others, just because that's how the game is imbalanced.

There are character counters, so like DK is below average when compared to the entire cast. But in certain matchups, like against Fox, he actually does really well if the DK player can chaingrab and zero-to-death Fox. DK has that potential. But Fox still does better against most of the other characters than DK does.

And there are people that are prodigious with otherwise "bad" characters. Bum plays DK and has beaten some of the top pros with their top characters. Luigi KA-Master uses Luigi and got 9th, I think at one of the largest Melee tournaments ever. But that's player skill. As a generality, the character still doesn't have as much going for him as the "higher tier" characters.

==================================

Roy is really good. There's a Roy player in Houston named Sethlon who is absolutely amazing, and he taught me a lot of things about Roy. Roy has combos that work really well. He just a lot of trouble getting kills off efficiently. A good Marth player can combo anything into a kill just by leading into an f-smash or getting them off the stage and raping with edgeguards.

Roy can put together combos based around d-tilt and f-air, but they don't lead anywhere. You get damage up, but in order to kill, you're looking for very specific f-smash setups, or just lucky moments where you manage to get people off the stage. And Roy has a lot of trouble comboing characters that are floatier, because he falls fast and doesn't jump as well, so he can't chase and juggle them like Marth can. If they get too far, they'll recover and escape/hit Roy before he gets a chance to follow up.

Those are Roy's biggest two problems, I think. He lacks knockback and stun on combo moves so it's hard to carry people and combo into kills. And he's limited on what characters he can combo, whereas he is a fast faller and can get combo'd pretty easily by most of the cast, so he tends to have matchups that are slightly tipped against him.

And on the flipside, Marth is just kinda... universally amazing.
You've done alot of homework on these characters, haven't you? I'm impressed with those faqs you shared.Applause I see what you mean too.

Displaying Page 2 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close