Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Why use shffl attacks? *Discussion*

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 2

1 | Last     Previous
Rebel581 Posted at: 12:07 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219323
Rebel581
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Bleh, I didn't know any of this stuff about priority. Now when my friend complains that all of my attacks hit when he does the same thing I can say "screw you." Well I said that anyways >_> but I can explain why now!

So technically my Roy should have a lot of priority... then why do I always feel like everyone can outprioriitize me? And do Roy's tipper attacks have the same priority (minus ground attacks and the whole strength thing) have the same priority as blade attacks (don't know what else to call the middle of the blade)?
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Gea Posted at: 12:43 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219370
Gea
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Well, the whole blade is a disjointed hitbox. That means even if its 'out prioritized' you don't get hurt unless they are within striking distance of your body. However if I remember correctly Roy doesn't really have that great priority in general. I dunno though, I don't play Roy.
Rebel581 Posted at: 12:47 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219379
Rebel581
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I didn't think he had great priority but he does have a disjointed hitbox. So now I'm confused. Maybe it's just better to smash and hope it hits >_> that's what I do most of the time and I end up hitting people even if they are blocking or dodging. I've never gone in the debug menu though. I need to get my hands on version 1.0 or 1.1. Version 1.2 sucks.
XIF Posted at: 13:30 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219437
XIF
Forum GuestMember
+
+
disjointed hit box is like the meaning of godly priority.
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 19:26 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219923
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
xiffers is right. on the other hand, roy's sword is really not *that* long and will sometimes lose to deceptively longer attacks like link's sex kick or something.

also, more attacks have mostly disjointed hitboxes than you'd think (just because a leg or tail is there, they don't have to be vulnerable).

i find that this whole "priority" business is quite muddled up with attack speed, duration and deceptive range (as in, jigg's feet stretching, or kirby having more grab range than anyone whose name is not samuslinkyounglinkmarthroyoryoshi >_>, or peach's dsmash hitting beyond the dress). so just say "no" to ever using the term priority outside this topic :(
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
dizzy fuweiru Posted at: 19:43 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219954
dizzy fuweiru
Forum GuestMember
+
+
The definition of "priority" has basically become "whatever determines which attacks will beat other attacks."

Which includes the hitboxes (or what you call deceptive range), attack speed, duration, and all that crap.
ritt.no-ip.com - roy is top tier. (no, not really, you dolt.)
Rebel581 Posted at: 19:44 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219957
Rebel581
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I love somebody's explanation on SWF that they posted and I'm going to post it here because it makes so much sense.

There's no such thing as priority. What most people think of as "priority" is just a combination of timing and disjointedness. Fox's drill kick hits almost constantly, and has quite a large set of hitboxes (test in 1/4 speed vs Kirby, whose get-hitboxes match his looks closest, IMO).

Sex kicks are considered "high priority" because the timing is absolute. They hit all the time in a certain window. To hit someone through a constant hitbox requires that your hitbox be more disjointed AND you time it correctly to take full advantage of the additional disjointedness. Zelda's f-smash is so "high priority" because it has several hits, and is notably larger than her arms.

Peach's dsmash IS disjointed. Her dress can't be hit, but it can hit opponents. She doesn't put herself in ANY additional danger (distancewise) by performing this attack. That's how I define disjointed. Samus' dsmash involves her sticking her leg out. It's not invincible; it can be hit. Nearly all attacks are disjointed to a degree, but some just plain aren't attached to a vulnerable body part.

Credit to SuperDoodleMan.
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 20:00 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219972
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
"She doesn't put herself in ANY additional danger (distancewise) by performing this attack [dsmash]."

you also have to put this into consideration. ever see marth's ftilt? yeah, it has buckets of range, but half of it is marth sticking his uber-long arm out. you can grab marth out of it with, like, pichu.
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
Rebel581 Posted at: 20:23 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 219988
Rebel581
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Yea... so it isn't that great of a disjointed attack. He sticks his arm out which is part of his body. If that part of his body is hit he is hit. It still goes by the laws SuperDoodleMan said.
DaRkNeSsOfHeArT Posted at: 21:43 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 220043
DaRkNeSsOfHeArT
Forum GuestMember
+
+
You can hit Peach from underneath her dress...
WarriorofZarona Posted at: 21:55 Jun23 2005 Post ID: 220048
WarriorofZarona
Forum GuestMember
+
+
That's wrong on so many levels. >_<
DaRkNeSsOfHeArT Posted at: 02:33 Jun24 2005 Post ID: 220296
DaRkNeSsOfHeArT
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Does it make it right if I say Zelda hits Peach from under her dress?
Gea Posted at: 11:32 Jun24 2005 Post ID: 220701
Gea
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I don't see why thats so wrong. Besides all of the sexual puns of course.
XIF Posted at: 11:25 Jun27 2005 Post ID: 225624
XIF
Forum GuestMember
+
+
ok, lets try to get back on topic before I have to be mean and delete posts, k?

Anyway, they really need to tone down some characters in terms of disjointed hit box's *coughmarthcough*. Its just ridiculous how 1337 it is <_<
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 13:13 Jun27 2005 Post ID: 225780
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
Fast fall helps me escape foe attacks.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Cylun Posted at: 15:55 Jun27 2005 Post ID: 226012
Cylun
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I recently thought of a tactic that could possibly be good. I jump over the opponent, fastfall, rejump without attacking, then fast fall and actualy attack. Kind of makes the enemy think I'm about to attack, but I don't attack until they are under the affects of lag. I'm kind of guessing it won't work against good opponents.
I am Cylun. May your life be easy and your future ripe.
Rebel581 Posted at: 18:05 Jun27 2005 Post ID: 226170
Rebel581
Forum GuestMember
+
+
No, if used correctly it might and probably would. That's called mindgames. A lot of people do that.
Cylun Posted at: 14:04 Jun29 2005 Post ID: 228872
Cylun
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Yay, I discovered an effective mindgame on my own.
I am Cylun. May your life be easy and your future ripe.
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 17:23 Jun29 2005 Post ID: 229204
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
mindgames are very easy to understand. they're just guessing games.

your approach method, cylun, is a tactic meant to lead opponents astray, because you guessed that they would try to attack and that their lag would make them vulnerable. they, on the other hand, predicted you would remain vulnerable to their laggy attack.

to be good at mindgames is to outguess the opponent regularly. to be a strong technical player is to be able to set up the best mindgames possible (an ideal technical player would set up the most advantageous mind games - each guessing game would net him/her the greatest possible advantage and/or have the least amount of reprecussion for being outguessed. a player with ideal mindgames would be able to outguess any player all the time. however, this does not render him/her invincible should his/her techniques be too ineffective to ever gain a advantage by guessing.)
Displaying Page 2 of 2

1 | Last     Previous
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close