Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Super Smash Bros. Melee

The Roy Topic (Post Away!!)

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Next
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 02:28 Jul10 2005 Post ID: 250127
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Hey guys, for those of you who don't know me I'm Mask-o-Sheik and although I don't use Roy as my main, I like playing around with him. I know a few things about him, but not too much. That's where the discussion kicks in, am I right? After the quasi-success of my other thread, I thought I'd encourage some more intelligent discussion here on Super Cheats by starting a thread on the controversal Roy. Feel free to discuss any sentiments on Roy, whether comment, question, complaint, suggestion, strategy, analases, etc.

What do I mean when I say Roy is a controversal character? He, more than any other character, represents the divide between high-level players and low-level players (the vast majority). Low-level players tend to consider Roy one of the best characters in the game, and are quite vocal about this. High-level players, on the other hand, know the disadvantages that bring the fiery swordsman into the middle of the rankings. The issue of Roy's prowess, particularly in comparison to Marth, leads to a lot of friction between the two ranks.

The ironic thing is, Roy is considered a top character by low-level players because of his overwhelming strength, and is considered middle by higher-level players because of his overwhelming *lack* of strength. Roy is actually almost a counter-image of what more people see him as. He's a fast, weak, combo-based character, not a heavy hitter!

Anyways, I won't go through an essay on what Roy is about. I'll do a very general overview...basically, Roy is best played when up close and dealing pressure (another irony - this leads to a faster playstyle than how Marth is usually played. Thus, the newbie belief that Roy is stronger and slower than Marth is at least partially untrue on several levels). He likes jumping in with short hop aerials and l-cancelling them into down tilts, grabs and forward B's initial attack. In terms of combos, Roy is all about the weakness of his aerials - he l-cancels them and is still in range to use some of his ground attacks (or short hop into another aerial). Down tilt is also one of the best launchers in the game and leads into everything from grabs to aerials to forward smash (!!) at some damage. Of course, the faster the opponent falls, the more deadly the attack is Smile. For the most part though, Roy's best chance is a medium knockback attack (like an uncharged Flare Blade) to knock the foe off the edge and finish by edgeguarding.

In terms of killing, Roy is pretty lacking. Going for the lucky forward smash can net you kills at as low as about 40%, but it's a risky business and you'll often wind up losing more than you would've gained by throwing around forward smashes indiscriminately. The third hit on his forward B combo is also one of Roy's main killers, and is a little easier to land. He has some leadins to Forward Smash, by the way, but they're hard to promise (back throw never seems to work when you want it to). Unfortunately, edge-guarding is kind of tough for Roy and he'll have trouble keeping opponents from reaching the edge if their name is not Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon or Ganondorf. Unless I'm not privy to Roy's edge-guarding secrets Smile. Roy can try to pop up the opponent with down tilt and follow with uncharged Flare Blade or some other attack, or he can try to Forward Smash the edge of the stage. Sometimes through edgehogging you can force them on-stage for a forward smash - take full advantage of this!

So that's basically some of my understanding of Roy. It is far from comprehensive, so feel free to fill in the holes I left open....post away!!
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
nintendo_dude Posted at: 04:00 Jul10 2005 Post ID: 250255
nintendo_dude
Post Likes: 1
+
+
Roy is one of my top characters.

I'm finished here...

Special thanks to Yossy666 for the avatar and signature images.
nevake Posted at: 07:45 Jul10 2005 Post ID: 250480
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
His d-tilt can also be used to launch things up while edgeguarding leading into flareblade(uncharged)/f-smash. His f-b's down hit on the 3rd hit cancels the crouch cancel, which is always good. His f-tilt is like a mini-mini-f-smash that isn't laggy but with worse knockback. His counter, although idolized by nubsters, his a tad too slow to be used. Marth's is faster than Roy's and Marth's is never used either, The only time that Roy's counter is actually used is edgeguarding fox/flaco or something of the sort.

The difference in Roy's game to Marth's is quite different. Roy, since his sweetspot is inside, cannot use his range to his advantage as well, so he has to have combos to allow his sweetspot to hit. Whereas Marth can abuse his range and his air moves launch the opponent into an aircombo, and he can stay away since his sweetspot is at the tip, having no need for a great ground combo game. I will add that Roy is NOT slower than Marth in terms of most moves that matters. His lack of floatiness is sometimes good, but off the edge your going to have trouble.

Killing, his main killer is f-smash, which his usually set up with a d-tilt, which doesn't work too much at high damages other than fast fallers. Like above mentioned, his third hit on a normal f-b can kill as well, although f-smash is largely preferred. When Roy is edgeguarding, he is NOTHING like Marth, you can possibly d-tilt into uncharged flareblade or something. If your desperate, try like doc with b-air :o, or maybe d-tilt to n-air or something :P. Edgehogging, forcing the opponent to the edge is good, but if their too far, you can f-tilt instead of smash, or you can n-air them or something.

On a final note, flare blade is never charged, counter is almost never used, Roy is not slower than marth in terms of attack speed, Roy is not more powerful than Marth in any aspect, rather maybe even the opposite.

I know nothing, don't listen to anything i say other than the above paragraph.
ritt.no-ip.com
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 13:21 Jul10 2005 Post ID: 250841
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I agree with most of your post nevake (mainly because most of what you said can be found in my first post :p), but I'd like to add that Roy's fast falling speed (4th place overall) makes him fodder for some nasty combos. Attacks that send upwards are pretty hard on Roy. Roy dittos often turn into down tilt fests ^_^.
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
nevake Posted at: 15:23 Jul10 2005 Post ID: 251070
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I enjoy modifying the words of other people...(I learn from the best) :P
ritt.no-ip.com
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 15:32 Jul10 2005 Post ID: 251091
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Well hey, if you call me the best and reiteration helps you learn, I can't argue ^_^ (lol, when was the last time someone told me I'm the best?)

"If your desperate, try like doc with b-air :o"

lol, marth does that too, but he has an easier time getting back ;). Can Roy even ledgehop bair off the edge and still make it back?

Roy also has a chock-full of useless spikes, which is really funny. "Roy is better than Marth because Roy has three spikes and Marth only has two!!11" lol
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 12:50 Jul11 2005 Post ID: 252796
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
is roy's up aerial faster than forward? i usually use it over forward when closing on the opponent / trying for a grab, and it always feels somewhat more natural. They're all really weak though, which is nice for Roy, because it keeps his foes close.

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 15:01 Jul11 2005 Post ID: 253076
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
Roy has a sweet neutral B attack. Moreso than the damage it deals, Flare Blade or whatever it's called comes with a nice, rounded and realistic explosion.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Cylun Posted at: 16:15 Jul11 2005 Post ID: 253225
Cylun
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Its shiny, and it keeps the n00bs interested...

but its worthless in real combat
I am Cylun. May your life be easy and your future ripe.
TheEmptyPage Posted at: 19:44 Jul11 2005 Post ID: 253630
TheEmptyPage
Forum GuestMember
+
+
yeah, but it's also used in HRC... but hat means nothign

i don't really play Roy, i used to when i was a Noob at this game also >_>... but hten i discovered marth XD

so yeah v_v *has nothign to add*
nevake Posted at: 20:18 Jul11 2005 Post ID: 253695
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I prefer fair to uair most of the time (could be Marth senses kicking), but i use nair more than the other 2 combined for some reason.
ritt.no-ip.com
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 17:03 Jul12 2005 Post ID: 255519
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
Roy's Flare Blade is useless, really, as a fully charged attack. An intelligent human would know better than to get up in the face of a Roy charging up his Flare Blade, and a decently levelled CP (level 5 and up) wouldn't leave a charging Roy a chance worth dying for.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

nevake Posted at: 08:23 Jul13 2005 Post ID: 257227
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
That is the opposite of what you stated up there but....even vs lvl 5's if your practicing there, its best not to use techniques that would work only on them.
ritt.no-ip.com
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 12:58 Jul24 2005 Post ID: 283759
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
you'd think roy would be a more popular character to talk about. this is coming from the second page :p. he's such a fun character to use, and he's fast as lightning. it's a little bit frightening :p
nevake Posted at: 08:14 Jul25 2005 Post ID: 285543
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I have little Roy experience buddy :x
ritt.no-ip.com
marin Posted at: 23:57 Aug05 2005 Post ID: 318750
marin
Forum GuestMember
+
+
roy has a couple of weakness's... most obviesious is that he has no long range attacks im not gunnu mention ones youve already stated... the b attack is almost useless... but i have a combo suggestion that ive tested... try charging up roy in a team battle while your partner grabs and pounds an enemy toward him... when the enemy is FAIRly close.. not close enough for roy to hit and roy is almost ready to explode partner throws enemy at roy... complicated yet if done correctly ALMOST garauntied satisfaction i tested this with marth as the thrower and my brother whos good with roy as the flare blader someone who isnt paying attention will get hurt really badly by this XD
Marin, pokemon master
nintendo_dude Posted at: 04:04 Aug06 2005 Post ID: 319205
nintendo_dude
Post Likes: 1
+
+
Marth is somewhat weaker than Roy on the ground but Marth's aerial attacks are far superior. Marth's charged blade takes less time and you just might be able to trick someone into walking into the full blast. Roy is stronger but slower. Overall I find them equal. Roy is more for the intermediate player whilst Marth is more for the advanced. Roy's Fire Blade was a bit pointless though. ANyone worthy would not walk into a fully charged attack there. Exept CPUs but they are mindless so what do you expect.

I'm finished here...

Special thanks to Yossy666 for the avatar and signature images.
nevake Posted at: 07:02 Aug06 2005 Post ID: 319492
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
How many times has this been misinterpretated >_<, Marth is NOT weaker than Roy on the ground. Most of Marth's attacks do more damage anyways. Roy is NOT slower than Marth. Actually, because of his physics, he can play a more pressurizing and faster game than marth can. Marth just has a little faster running. Them? Equal? Why do you think Marth is in top tier and Roy is in Mid -_-.
ritt.no-ip.com
marin Posted at: 09:22 Aug06 2005 Post ID: 319678
marin
Forum GuestMember
+
+
i think it has something to do with the fire emblem game itself... i heard roy never actually appeared much... saying marth is stronger than roy in general or vice versa is just favoritisme its really hard to master roy some people say its easier to master marth... but thats bogus, characters are not ussually better or worse then eachother... incase of course your comparing pichu to pikachu -_-
Marin, pokemon master
TobiasXelKythe Posted at: 10:34 Aug06 2005 Post ID: 319782
TobiasXelKythe
+
+
"characters are not ussually better or worse then eachother... "

Actually, they almost always ARE.
LUIGI'S GAME IS STEPPING UP [ www.freewebs.com/tobiasxk/LuigiFAQ.txt ]
Displaying Page 1 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close