Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Can someone explain what's good about Wavedashing?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

darkboarder_77 Posted at: 14:54 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270645
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
Post Likes: 0
+
+
I tried it, and it doesn't really help me much. A mere distance of sliding no more than a few inches in comparison to the size of the character itself and that's it.

Can someone explain please?
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
WarriorofZarona Posted at: 15:17 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270697
WarriorofZarona
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Remember the wavedash essay? The one Cez submitted without any credit? You might want to read up on that.

You use Samus right?

Samus has an effective wavedash, and you can entirely replace your roll with it. Remember the video you watched? You'll notice Wes use wavedash tons of times. Watch it again and look closely for it.
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 15:19 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270703
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
you aren't angling it enough to the side (or you're using a char with a very short wave-dash, although this can be useful sometimes too). try somebody like luigi, ice climbers, mewtwo, marth, yoshi, roy, dr/mario, g&w....they all have long wave-dashes and you should travel about the length of a roll or longer if you wave-dash well with them. The control stick should be primarily to the side and not too far downwards.

also, read up on toby's wave-dashing guide: http://www.freewebs.com/xiffer/wavedashing.html. This explains some of the uses of wave-dashing. Some of the things he doesn't go over in depth: wave-dashing out of your shield with anybody but Yoshi is an effective shield exit; wave-dashing on and dropping off platforms can create unorthodox movements that are very confusing and useful; it's also very useful for spacing attacks like marth's tipper that require a certain range to be most effective.

in general though, it's a very effective method of movement and very useful to know.
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
Cylun Posted at: 16:29 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270818
Cylun
Forum GuestMember
+
+
If you can do it well enough, it is very good. the backwords wavedash is effective for edgaurding(wavedash backwords off the edge and watch what happens) mindgames(Run up to someone but backdash before you get in range, for example) and evasion( samus has a terrible roll).

Forward wavedash is also very useful, I'm not experienced to give you all the info on it, but I can tell you I love to wavedash. Maybe because I've played a little to much mischief makers...
I am Cylun. May your life be easy and your future ripe.
nevake Posted at: 17:11 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270939
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
You can do anything immediately out of it, so if you decided to wavedash back while your opponent is dash attacking you, you can immediately smash instead of running back, stop running by crouching, then turning around and smashing.
ritt.no-ip.com
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 17:13 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270942
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
But what is really so great about it? Why use it if you could just Foxtrot quickly around the stage? And how do you wavedash out of a shield? Is it only accessable from the air?

Mask o' Shiek, I'll be sure to read that sometime.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

nevake Posted at: 17:18 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270948
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Its not just for movement, its so you can be in the standing position while moving. If you just run then try to attack, you'll find you'll have fewer options than if you wavedash either back or forwards and attack.
ritt.no-ip.com
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 17:25 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270959
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
Okay... I just hope I can learn to wavedash good.

nevake Posted at: 17:26 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 270960
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Yea...but shffling is quite a bit more important, so I recommend you start with that instead.
ritt.no-ip.com
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 17:53 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 271011
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
Shffl, doesn't that stand for Short Hop, Fast Fall, and L Cancle? I use all of them but the L Cancle, which I should use a little more...

nevake Posted at: 17:59 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 271039
nevake
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Can you short hop consistantly? it is extremely short, not just a half jump or anything, its like barely leaving the ground for most characters. L cancelling is pressing either L, R, or Z before you hit the ground to reduce the lag of the move upon landing in half. Refer to hints section/newb faq next time.
ritt.no-ip.com
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 18:35 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 271118
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
I know, I know, I know what all 3 of them are and how to use them. Short Hop, I find, allows me to execute some more fluent aerial moves, given that ground moves are not as free. Take Mewtwo's left/right aerial, for example.

Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 21:14 Jul19 2005 Post ID: 271356
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
bingo. it allows aerials to be brought fluidly into play, which cannot be done without short hop. I'd say that it's most important to work on short hopping and l-cancelling, which opens up an entirely new aerial game once you can use them effectively. wave-dashing is important to learn but not as revolutionary.
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
Cylun Posted at: 00:31 Jul20 2005 Post ID: 271556
Cylun
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Imo, wavedashing is much easier to pull off.
I am Cylun. May your life be easy and your future ripe.
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 00:46 Jul20 2005 Post ID: 271568
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I learned it before I learned short hop and l-cancel. I've known it since 2002, and it took me about six months to master it. By "master" I mean "apply it in battle without having to say 'I wavedashed!'" I don't imply that I can wave-dash totally effectively :p

btw Cylun, would ya like to vote me as Cleverest Member? Just click the link on the top of the page and vote people in fitting categories.
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close