Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

How to tell my parents I'm an Atheist

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Next
Xeta Posted: 07:21 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654230
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
So right, I guess I'll stop the girl topics and make something a little different.

So I am the spawn of two Roman Catholics, and I have to go to church every week and all that, but as you can tell by the topic title I don't believe in it. I'm sick of there and lieing to myself and everyone there saying "I believe" when I don't.

So how should I go about telling my family?
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
CurryMonster Posted: 07:23 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654231
CurryMonster
A Professional with Standard
Post Likes: 0
+
Get them round a table and explain to them that maybe organised religion isn't your cup of tea. And if that doesn't work, knock something over and shout.

The Undying Night Book 1: Fiendlord. GET IT HERE.
TestVirus101 Posted: 07:26 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654232
TestVirus101
Ah crap he's finally dead
Post Likes: 35
+
Depends on how religious they are. They might not even care as much as you might think.
Volke Posted: 09:24 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654253
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
Just tell them outright. It will result in you having a free sunday afternoon every week, so it's definately worth it.
v-gamer Posted: 09:44 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654268
v-gamer
y so srs?
Post Likes: 4
+
I don't know about your parents, but my parents are "hardcore" (for lack of a better word) Christians. Please do not say that Christians and Catholics are the same because they're not. Catholics are much more heirarchical and ritual.

Anyways, one thing that my parents do as Christians is respect what another believes, and won't force anyone to go to church and believe in what they believe if that other person doesn't believe it. My dad offers it to my brother all the time, to not go to church, but I guess somewhere deep in him he believes in Christianity... It would explain why he still makes an obligation to go to Church.

Anyways (again), I'm sure your parents will understand, and if they're only reasonable, they shouldn't hold you against your own belief by making you go to church.
Avatar: In memory of ieatwyverns <3

Thank you, Vasco <3
Vasco Posted: 09:49 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654269
Vasco
MOE MOE KYUUUUUN
Post Likes: 7
+
My parents used to be exactly like yours and like yourself, I'm an Atheist. They got the point when I started running away from the Church five minutes after it started.

You're entitled to believe what you want. Tell them how you feel, they are your parents after all. If you are calm and clearly explain them your point, they won't force you to anything.

againstall has invaded

BECKY = 10/10
Traffic Monger Posted: 11:40 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654320
Traffic Monger
ヽ( ´ー `)ノ
+
Like everyone else has said so far, tell them outright. It's not their life, it's yours. Unless your parents are unreasonable, they won't make you go to something you don't believe in.

Signature credit goes to .Impact.

Skype - Shadezz80
DaBeast234 Posted: 15:25 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654601
DaBeast234
+
just explain to them in a calm way that you you are an atheist. if they care about you more than their religion, they will listen and try to understand you more. they will ask many questions, so awnser them calmly and to th fullest. trust me i've had to explain this to my parents too. i know how you feel.

Mah Clan! XD
TestVirus101 Posted: 15:30 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654603
TestVirus101
+
On 24-Jun-2009 v-gamer said:I don't know about your parents, but my parents are "hardcore" (for lack of a better word) Christians. Please do not say that Christians and Catholics are the same because they're not. Catholics are much more heirarchical and ritual.

Anyways, one thing that my parents do as Christians is respect what another believes, and won't force anyone to go to church and believe in what they believe if that other person doesn't believe it. My dad offers it to my brother all the time, to not go to church, but I guess somewhere deep in him he believes in Christianity... It would explain why he still makes an obligation to go to Church.

Anyways (again), I'm sure your parents will understand, and if they're only reasonable, they shouldn't hold you against your own belief by making you go to church.
I don't get what you're getting at here. You can't be a Catholic without being Christian after all.
v-gamer Posted: 16:30 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654653
v-gamer
y so srs?
Post Likes: 4
+
On 24-Jun-2009 TestVirus101 said:I don't get what you're getting at here. You can't be a Catholic without being Christian after all.
The beliefs are the same; the practices are different.
Avatar: In memory of ieatwyverns <3

Thank you, Vasco <3
qwertyuio Posted: 17:41 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654741
qwertyuio
Bite the Bullet
Post Likes: 10
+
The others are right, any reasonable parents should allow you to go after whatever faith you may desire, or none at all. So just tell them.
Voted Best Nazi Mod Ever <3
coachcline Posted: 18:27 Jun24 2009 Post ID: 2654756
coachcline
Just call me Coach
Post Likes: 1
+
If they're devout (hardcore) then just sit them down & carefully explain you just don't believe in anything. If they're reasonable people then they should understand & accept it. If they don't take it well, then you'll just have to peacefully not participate in any church functions/rituals. Either that or violently refuse religion & show them you don't believe in a rebellious struggle. But just go with the civil disobedience; after all they can't force you to believe.

Imho I don't agree with Catholicism, it's too over the top. They believe the Pope has the same power as God, I don't understand that. But I won't get into detail of what I think about it because it isn't exactly nice after a semester of World History II.

Personally, I don't agree with atheism, but to each his own I guess. I'm Protestant btw.

Siggy proudly brought to you by .Impact!
[insert random quote or phrase that makes the sig space look less bare]
TestVirus101 Posted: 00:04 Jun25 2009 Post ID: 2655144
TestVirus101
+
On 24-Jun-2009 v-gamer said:The beliefs are the same; the practices are different.
What I meant was, there isn't a 'Christian'. EVERYONE who follows the bible, etc. is a Christian. Catholicism is a denomination like Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, etc.

Sure, there exists some minor differences in practices between denominations, such as the ability for the clergy to marry or the way a mass might be conducted or the church decorated; but overall I don't believe at all that Catholics are 'much more heirarchical and ritual' Which is what I meant when I quoted v-gamers post.

As for the Pope, it really isn't this major thing. Sure, he has significance in that he's the successor of St. Peter and the head of the Catholic Church, but by no means do Catholics hold the Pope in as high a regard as God, this is false.
DaBeast234 Posted: 07:07 Jun25 2009 Post ID: 2655321
DaBeast234
+
i thought this was about how to tell your parents that ur an atheist

Mah Clan! XD
TestVirus101 Posted: 15:34 Jun25 2009 Post ID: 2656008
TestVirus101
+
On 25-Jun-2009 DaBeast234 said:i thought this was about how to tell your parents that ur an atheist
Of course, but then people would naturally begin to talk about relious matters related to the parents, etc. Just the natural flow of a topic.
Hitokiri Tsumetashi Posted: 17:36 Jun25 2009 Post ID: 2656095
Hitokiri Tsumetashi
+
I'll tell you what I did. After you've finished dinner, before everyone leaves, tell them you have something you want them to know. Say exactly this, or something along the line. "Mom, and Dad, I've wanted to tell you this for a while now, but haven't been able to. If you don't accept me how I want to be, then you don't love me enough to care about my feelings. I'm an atheist. Kthxbye. Then, if they start BS, just be like "I'm leaving and I'm never coming back."

Just don't actually leave.. Shame
"You could spend your entire life looking for the perfect cherry blossom, and it would not be a wasted life." -Ken Watanabe ("The Last Samurai")

DaBeast234 Posted: 07:08 Jun26 2009 Post ID: 2656554
DaBeast234
+
yeah dont leave thatwill bring cop on to the scene. we dont want that

Mah Clan! XD
Raptor. Posted: 13:27 Jun27 2009 Post ID: 2657794
Raptor.
+
Or maybe just ask if you have to go to church still, if they say no, you don't have to tell them you're Athiest.

If they say yes, then tell them I guess.

I'd try to do this without hurting somebody's feelings if possible.

veenus<3
Xtreme gamer Posted: 15:33 Jun27 2009 Post ID: 2657950
Xtreme gamer
#2Seconds
+
I'm not an Atheist, but I think that going to church is a way to bribe you're way to eternal life.

Just be straight up with them.

instagram: solidaritysterl
Xeta Posted: 18:32 Jun27 2009 Post ID: 2658192
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
So I told my mom today, and she wasn't too thrilled.

I still have to go to church. : (
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
Displaying Page 1 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close