Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Drinking age limit changed to 18?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Next
pwnthemonkeys Posted: 03:23 Aug27 2009 Post ID: 2721933
pwnthemonkeys
Village idiot
Post Likes: 5
+
Do you think that the legal age limit to drink alcohol should be changed to 18 in the states? Since once you turn 18 your technically an adult (by law) then why not be able to drink? What are your thoughts?
There was a sig here, it's gone now.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Youkou Posted: 03:48 Aug27 2009 Post ID: 2721936
Youkou
C:\Program Files
Post Likes: 1
+
I think it's good as it is, people shouldn't be drinking (is bad for your health), so if it can be avoided by age-limit, then so be it.
super craig Posted: 09:30 Aug27 2009 Post ID: 2722060
super craig
+
Is the age higher or lower than 18 currently in the states? I'll assume its probably higher. As Dave said alcohol can have negative effects on your health espically if you over do it so technically you should be more mature and responsible if you start drinking later, but from what I've seen that is far from the case.
Let me be the first to congratulate you on witnessing pure perfection!

tbug2007 Posted: 17:08 Aug28 2009 Post ID: 2722812
tbug2007
Da Bug
Post Likes: 4
+

Why would you want it changed? Do you WANT to drink?

ubr cuulness by Craizin the raizin. <3

FILIP R POLICE
Brandon 2006 Posted: 21:31 Aug28 2009 Post ID: 2722996
Brandon 2006
Post Likes: 0
+
It's 19 where I live right now, and in the province beside us(30 minute drive) it already is 18.

Drinking age doesn't matter though because getting it underage is too easy and essentially unstoppable.

^Created by Austinanymous

[email protected]
^add me on msn
hatershateme Posted: 23:22 Aug28 2009 Post ID: 2723064
hatershateme
Mr. Forum Games!
+
2 1/2 years....
Im joking, but if they do, more teens will die in car accidents because of drinking and driving. I mean, they do when they are young, but if legalized at a younger age...
Drinking and Driving teens+Alchol legal at 18=A dramtic increase on death of teens.

superbird5005 is Bae

Sig and Avy: Craizen

sphynxx said:Step aside people, Mr. forum games coming through. ;)

pwnthemonkeys Posted: 03:21 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723144
pwnthemonkeys
Village idiot
Post Likes: 5
+
Yes but smoking is legal when you turn 18.Plus other countries have it at 18 or younger.Also your an adult once you turn 18 so you can make your decisions so why not make it legal?
There was a sig here, it's gone now.
tbug2007 Posted: 07:28 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723240
tbug2007
Da Bug
+

Just because you are legally an adult doesn't mean that you are a mature adult. I know some people who are 16 who act more mature than my uncle.

ubr cuulness by Craizin the raizin. <3

FILIP R POLICE
02 Dissociative. Posted: 07:46 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723254
02 Dissociative.
+
It's 18 in Australia, I've always found it strange that it's 21 in USA.

It should be universally 18. Hell, isn't it like 16 in some places?

Signature by Vasco.
Youkou Posted: 10:38 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723360
Youkou
C:\Program Files
+
It's 16 here and actually doesn't give much trouble, apart from annoying teens shouting here and there in the streets or some occasional vandalism, but that's rather rare and most teens actually are kinda responsible still here when they drink, just a small group always has to fall out of the boat.
Volke Posted: 10:47 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723374
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
I never understood why the US's national drinking age is 21 whilst the driving age is 16.

Even so, I've never really seen the need to have it so high. 18 is fine, by my reckoning.
PhilXZ Posted: 11:00 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723399
PhilXZ
German Wunderkind
+
I don't give much for alcohol. There are other nonalcoholic drinks that taste much better, like soda and juice!

18 works fine, but I see nothing wrong with the current limit of 21. I couldn't care lass or more if the change it.
super craig Posted: 11:48 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723446
super craig
+
On 29-Aug-2009 Youkou said:It's 16 here and actually doesn't give much trouble, apart from annoying teens shouting here and there in the streets or some occasional vandalism, but that's rather rare and most teens actually are kinda responsible still here when they drink, just a small group always has to fall out of the boat.
True, its always the small minority who end up grabbing most of the attention, regardless of how many people don't actually do anything bad when they have a drink.

Also do people turn from been drunken yobs at 18 to some sort of mature, refined person just 3 years later?

« Last edited by super craig on Aug 29th 2009 »

Swagman2276 Posted: 13:28 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723569
Swagman2276
+
I think in Italy the children are brought up having a glass of wine with their evening meal, and alcahol is very much only accepted in moderation and as a result the younger adults dont feel the need to rebel and binge because they have wine every day anyway.
Get your Portable ID!
PhilXZ Posted: 13:31 Aug29 2009 Post ID: 2723573
PhilXZ
German Wunderkind
+
How many people follow the drinking age law anyway?
Catharsis Posted: 18:19 Aug30 2009 Post ID: 2724745
Catharsis
One thought fills immensity.
+
On 29-Aug-2009 Swagman2276 said:I think in Italy the children are brought up having a glass of wine with their evening meal, and alcahol is very much only accepted in moderation and as a result the younger adults dont feel the need to rebel and binge because they have wine every day anyway.
I don't know if that happens in Italy (I suspect it does, but can't be sure), but in France it definitely does.

The more taboo you make drinking, the more people want to rebel and have it, especially to excess. When the US banned alcohol altogether, sales of alcohol actually INCREASED. It was just too easy to get despite the law. It's the same with underage drinking - if you ban young people from drinking altogether, they'll just have loads as soon as they can get their hands on it, legally or otherwise. Let them have a few drinks from a young age, and they just won't view drinking as special or rebellious and they'll only have a few when they go out.

Culture is to blame for binge-drinking and the like, not the drinking age.

Signature and avatar made by Master Volthawk.
Email/MSN: empyrean decadence at hotmail dot com (Remove all spaces)

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius." - William Blake.

Winner of Member Brawl '09. Finally cleared out enough sig space to include that.
super craig Posted: 19:09 Aug30 2009 Post ID: 2724788
super craig
+
On 30-Aug-2009 Catharsis said:I don't know if that happens in Italy (I suspect it does, but can't be sure), but in France it definitely does.

The more taboo you make drinking, the more people want to rebel and have it, especially to excess. When the US banned alcohol altogether, sales of alcohol actually INCREASED. It was just too easy to get despite the law. It's the same with underage drinking - if you ban young people from drinking altogether, they'll just have loads as soon as they can get their hands on it, legally or otherwise. Let them have a few drinks from a young age, and they just won't view drinking as special or rebellious and they'll only have a few when they go out.

Culture is to blame for binge-drinking and the like, not the drinking age.
Agreed, I was in Canada for new year (drinking age 21) and there were plenty of people clearly sozzled and clearly not 21, exactly the same as there would be in England which has a lower age limit. In fact those who were old enough were knocking it back at a fair rate and weren't exactly the mature drinkers this law should create. People will always find a way to get alcohol, the only way to stop it would be the religiously enforce the laws to a point where it just wouldn't make sense.

MasterMilotic Posted: 21:19 Aug31 2009 Post ID: 2725517
MasterMilotic
+
On 29-Aug-2009 Volke said:I never understood why the US's national drinking age is 21 whilst the driving age is 16.

Even so, I've never really seen the need to have it so high. 18 is fine, by my reckoning.
Drinking is technically bad for a person at that age. In the U.S graduated licensing is required by everyone under 18 and a learner's permit elsewhere to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong, I live in Canada). Driving is not technically bad for you if you don't drive recklessly, and as such there should be no reason to really restrict driving privileges. However, here in Canada they're increasing the age for driving from 16 to 18.
Brandon 2006 Posted: 23:58 Aug31 2009 Post ID: 2725621
Brandon 2006
+
On 29-Aug-2009 PhilXZ said:How many people follow the drinking age law anyway?
Not many. I know almost everyone at my school has had some sort of alcoholic beverage before getting to high school and by the time we all graduated we all had consumed vast amounts.

^Created by Austinanymous

[email protected]
^add me on msn
Ichigo Kurosaki Posted: 15:34 Sep17 2009 Post ID: 2734956
Ichigo Kurosaki
+
The drinking age in America was 18 until 1984. It was raised to 19 on 1/1/84; 20 on 1/1/85; and 21 on 1/1/86.
The claimed purpose was to curb drunk driving by youngsters. DUI rates haven't changed a damned bit in the past 25 years. The ONLY reason there fewer drunk-driving-caused deaths is due to cars having better safety equipment such as airbags.
When I was 18, I was in charge of a piece of military hardware worth over $22 million and could flatten entire city blocks, but I am not fit to drink a beer on off-hours?! When I was 18, I was in combat. Got shot. But, I am not capable of handling a shot of whiskey?!
Lower the drinking age BACK to 18 and INCREASE the penalties for DUI, including mandatory jail time for causing bodily harm or death; mandatory revocation of driving privileges on the third conviction for DUI. THAT will do more to lower DUI rates than anything else.
Displaying Page 1 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close