Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Online Time: Voting Ends 7/22/10, 12PM GMT+1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Previous | Next
Vasco Posted: 10:14 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870604
Vasco
MOE MOE KYUUUUUN
Post Likes: 7
+
CRAZY CHEATS said:Rather than someone continually check his bio to see when he was online, this could prove he is active.

You'd still have to check the bio, eh.

I don't really see the point for this, to be honest. The "Last logged on" option is enough, this would just lead to a competition to see who's more active. Then again, I'm sure there are several members who don't want others to know how much time they've spent online. Like myself.

againstall has invaded

BECKY = 10/10
sphynxx Posted: 10:31 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870609
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
I'm with Vas Evil

I pretty much leave SC open on my laptop all day, occasionally checking to see if anyone's posted anything that piques my interest. Whilst SC is open pretty much non-stop on my laptop, I may only spend 5 mins on average an hour actually on the site, flicking through the forums.. I know another user (Jirachi or Aeon) is, or at least was, the same with leaving SC open on their laptop all day.

Personally, I do understand what you're meaning, I just don't see the point..

Does anyone know how the login thing actually works anyway. Does it count when we actually log in, as in input our password etc, or when we connect to SC? Because I have it set so I'm always logged in Eh Just curious about that lol

« Last edited by sphynxx on Jul 17th 2010 »

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 11:01 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870615
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
Post Likes: 1
+
Alfie: I'm the same, I logged in once when the new site came, and haven't logged in since.
But, I think it only counts you online when there's a window open with SC on it.
Now known as
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 11:46 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870643
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
Post Likes: 28
+
Thanks Filip, always trying to find ways to improve the site~

CC & X, glad you like the idea.

Vasco (OMG, he didn't say Monkey Boi :o), competition is bad? I always thought it was something fun that brought things out of the boring norm. Sorry, if I thought the site having activity was a bad thing.

sphynxx: This is why I suggested earlier that each page only give so much time. Someone would actually have to be flipping through the pages and viewing the site to get time up. And with the wanting to go through more pages and spend time on SC, more topics get seen, Rich gets more money off of the ads, blah blah blah... You get the point.
Xeta Posted: 12:02 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870644
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
I sincerely doubt anyone would actually make this anyway competitive.
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
Symphony Posted: 12:48 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870659
Symphony
Post Likes: 0
+
^ Yeah, a "competition to see who's more active" is just another way of finding out who has less of a life. You never know if some people actually want to brag about that though.

It's just not necessary anyway
Dr_Logic Posted: 13:56 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870675
Dr_Logic
Post Likes: 0
+
Symphony said:^ Yeah, a "competition to see who's more active" is just another way of finding out who has less of a life. You never know if some people actually want to brag about that though.

It's just not necessary anyway

Lol I actually disagree with this, people post "posting achievements" all the time in the SC times forum, and they are not embarrassed at all. In fact, they brag about it and try to compete with others.

While this idea might not increase activity for all the right reasons, the fact still remains that the idea would increase activity. And if I'm being completely honest, I think it would keep some of the s-mods more accountable. A lot of the s-mods are very active and do a great job keeping up with the site, however, it is only realistic of me to point out that some of the s-mods have made the tittle a retiring symbol. Again, not trying to point fingers or be rude, but I think it's pretty obvious. This idea would increase activity and expose the mods and s-mods, so I'm actually going to disagree with the majority here and say it is a good idea that is worth implementing.
"I shall always be convinced that a watch proves a watchmaker, and that a universe proves a God." - Voltaire
v-gamer Posted: 15:07 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870688
v-gamer
y so srs?
Post Likes: 4
+
I agree that this time count implementation would only be a competition of who has less of a life. Which may partly be why I don't want this, haha.

Still, though, I just think that if it's going to have its use, it'll only be a "fun" use. Perhaps some people WILL compete for who has the "least life," but I really don't think it'll prove that some people are more active.

As far as comparing it to post counts, don't. If you post in Forums Games, you can get one thousand posts in a week with only a few hours in your bio. If you post elsewhere, one thousand posts will be harder to obtain and will take more than a few hours to achieve. So a person with 500 posts could potentially be more active (time-wise) than a person with 5000 posts.

Still, as I said earlier, I don't think a time count will prove anyone to be either more or less active than they really are. I think that the "last logged on" feature that's currently in our bios should be enough, considering that someone truly is a concern (like some of the Super Mods you brought up).
Avatar: In memory of ieatwyverns <3

Thank you, Vasco <3
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 16:00 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870715
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
I also think that the last logged in should be extended to a bit more than over the past 48 hours.
Now known as
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 17:47 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870778
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
v-gamer said:I agree that this time count implementation would only be a competition of who has less of a life. Which may partly be why I don't want this, haha.

Still, though, I just think that if it's going to have its use, it'll only be a "fun" use. Perhaps some people WILL compete for who has the "least life," but I really don't think it'll prove that some people are more active.

Last time I checked, this forum, along with most things on site, were originally meant to be fun. If you can add to the fun of some, why not? If some people are indifferent to having the ability to see how long they spend online, then they don't really HAVE to look at it. Competition is good, if it increases the amount of fun people can have on a site MEANT for fun. Of course, if you don't want anyone to see your time, there's always that little button on your bio that says "Private". Smile

v-gamer said:As far as comparing it to post counts, don't. If you post in Forums Games, you can get one thousand posts in a week with only a few hours in your bio. If you post elsewhere, one thousand posts will be harder to obtain and will take more than a few hours to achieve. So a person with 500 posts could potentially be more active (time-wise) than a person with 5000 posts.

Still, as I said earlier, I don't think a time count will prove anyone to be either more or less active than they really are. I think that the "last logged on" feature that's currently in our bios should be enough, considering that someone truly is a concern (like some of the Super Mods you brought up).

Then don't look at it to prove anything, if you don't want it to. Just see it as another little part of the site, like the friends list, the status shown, how many subs we have, anything on the site that really has no use as far as abilities. It's just there for the people that like the number.

« Last edited by Forgoten_Scars on Jul 17th 2010 »
v-gamer Posted: 18:06 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870780
v-gamer
y so srs?
Post Likes: 4
+
I know, but I'm not talking to you, any more. XD

My post was responding to Dr_Logic's.
Avatar: In memory of ieatwyverns <3

Thank you, Vasco <3
geezerguy Posted: 18:48 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870806
geezerguy
Jailbait / Lukie
Post Likes: 43
+
If this was added it would probably depress the hell out of me. XD
Winner of Member Brawl 2011 <3
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 18:54 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870811
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
;_; V doesn't want to talk to me... I feel sad now.

Don't let a little number get ya down you old geezer~
geezerguy Posted: 18:57 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870814
geezerguy
Jailbait / Lukie
Post Likes: 43
+
Yeah but mine would probably add up to a year or something. ;_;
Winner of Member Brawl 2011 <3
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 18:59 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870816
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
So? You've been part of the site longer than me, and I'm so life deprived that our numbers would probably be the same.
Jirachi X Posted: 00:32 Jul18 2010 Post ID: 2871020
Jirachi X
Post Likes: 2
+
sphynxx said:I'm with Vas Evil

I pretty much leave SC open on my laptop all day, occasionally checking to see if anyone's posted anything that piques my interest. Whilst SC is open pretty much non-stop on my laptop, I may only spend 5 mins on average an hour actually on the site, flicking through the forums.. I know another user (Jirachi or Aeon) is, or at least was, the same with leaving SC open on their laptop all day.

Oh hai thar.

Yeah, I pretty much leave the place open 24 hours a day except when I leave home to go into Uni or go to a mates place.

I would love to see how much hours I have racked up since I first joined.
I'm gone - bye
Dark Breloom Posted: 07:45 Jul18 2010 Post ID: 2871114
Dark Breloom
Post Likes: 95
+
Dr_Logic said:Not that this is a bad idea, but I can see some holes in it. People would probably start opening up a tab and signing in while they do anything online, yet their not really here. They just want to get their "time here" increased. Maybe it would overall increase activity, I simply think it would increase activity for all the wrong reasons, that's all.

Actually, I do this without this time thing. :D

I don't really see there being much a point to it but then again we have a lot of things that don't have much of a point. I wouldn't really mind this being added.
Jirachi X Posted: 08:59 Jul18 2010 Post ID: 2871124
Jirachi X
Post Likes: 2
+
Hey whats wrong with having the "Time Here" increased?

It might actually get people to start posting again and increase the activity level of the site?
I'm gone - bye
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 09:42 Jul18 2010 Post ID: 2871140
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
+
Not to mention that would increase traffic for the site, and thus increase the money the site gets off of advertising, and who doesn't like money?
Now known as
Vasco Posted: 10:35 Jul18 2010 Post ID: 2871157
Vasco
MOE MOE KYUUUUUN
Post Likes: 7
+
Blargh, I hate it when I have to post twice about the exact same thing.

Forgoten_Scars said:TVasco (OMG, he didn't say Monkey Boi :o), competition is bad? I always thought it was something fun that brought things out of the boring norm. Sorry, if I thought the site having activity was a bad thing.

I wish I lived in that perfect world of yours. Here's what happens on the site: posting is good. Posting on FG! a lot is, therefore, good. Except it isn't. Once people get bothered by others surpassing them, they start making excuses. The majority of our active posters now want FG! posts to be banned.

You can't use traffic as an excuse to add this. If you could, I'd just recommend a Spam Forum where people would have to post as fast as they can for as long as they can. Hey, I'd be promoting activity, so it would have to be a good thing. This wouldn't, in any way, promote "fun".

If you want to help the site so much, install an Auto-Refresh add-on that refreshes the page every 5 seconds. Problem solved.

« Last edited by Vasco on Jul 18th 2010 »

againstall has invaded

BECKY = 10/10
Displaying Page 2 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
This topic has been closed by 292692

Post Top
Click to close