Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

hey volke

Moderators for this forum: sphynxx
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

yossy666 Posted: 04:40 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004337
yossy666
Post Likes: 0
+
why are you so uptight bro? you should relax, you'll live longer.

ACTUALLY, wait a second, I just realised I want to talk about something for real. How's your music going man? You were in a band/played music right?
i wanna live like james dean, i wanna die a superstar.
---
yossy666 | Komodo | Aaden Foli | 02 Dissociative. | yossy666
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Volke Posted: 04:45 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004341
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
Sorry I had to close that. Whoever Symphony is, he could have taken it offensively, and the thread didn't really serve any other purpose. You could always drop a comment on his bio to ask.

Yeah, I formed my own band (so that I could actually play guitar - no already formed bands are ever looking for a guitarist). We've got seventeen songs, mostly recorded. We just need a singer, now.

I remember you saying you were in a band too. How's that going?
yossy666 Posted: 04:53 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004350
yossy666
+
Nah man I've never been in a band. I jammed with a friend a few times, but we have different tastes, so it wouldn't have worked out. I am however, currently trying to figure out a cheap way to record an EP of my own work. Any suggestions?

Btw, I just found out who Symphony is, and it turns out we're actually really good friends... on another forum. Haha. He wouldn't have taken it personally, it's all g. The dude's a *** anyway.
---
Volke Posted: 05:08 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004359
Volke
Executioner
+
There are plenty of websites around (I used Join My Band, but that's a UK website) where you can place an ad to search for band members. You should check for Australia-based ones. I found most of my band members through the Join My Band website I mentioned.

The cheapest way I can think of is to download a free recording program, such as Audacity (it's free). Once you have done so, buy a lead that can connect your guitar amp to your PC/computer (never place a microphone next to your amp and play it in that way, as the sound quality will turn out to be horrid). Then, when it's all hooked up, start recording. Repeat for any other instruments. Use a microphone to record vocals.

Drums can be a pain. I recommend you either use an electric drum kit, as they are great for computed recordings, or plug a keyboard in and use the drum kit sounds on the keyboard (most keyboards have them). You could download a drum software on your computer, but they're usually quite expensive.

Unfortunately, I don't really know a whole lot about doing this kind of thing cheaply. I was very lucky myself as, in my first year of University, I met a guy who wants to enter the producing and management business in music. He has some really expensive equipment that I, and later my whole band, use to record our music for very good demo-quality recordings.

Haha, ok.

Anyway, since this is primarily a music-based thread, I'll move this to the Music forum.
geezerguy Posted: 05:09 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004361
geezerguy
Jailbait / Lukie
Post Likes: 43
+
Audacity is a terrible program. ;_;
Winner of Member Brawl 2011 <3
Volke Posted: 05:12 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004363
Volke
Executioner
+
geezerguy said:Audacity is a terrible program. ;_;

It's not too bad if you can plug up to your PC and are only aiming to record a cheap, simple EP to attract other potential members. It got me started (although I did what I told Yossy not to do - recording everything using a microphone. Arrrrgghhhh)
geezerguy Posted: 05:13 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004364
geezerguy
Jailbait / Lukie
Post Likes: 43
+
Well I've used it for a different use than you haha.

I had to use it for a school assignment and make a radio advert, which I then finished, then Audacity decided the crash and not save my work.
Winner of Member Brawl 2011 <3
Volke Posted: 05:17 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004367
Volke
Executioner
+
Oh, that's not good.

I actually used it to record the speech in some of my SuperCheats videos, which turned out okay, but not great.
yossy666 Posted: 05:20 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004373
yossy666
+
I dunno, the microphone to amp 'crappy' sound might be good for the kind of music I play. I enjoy low-fi sounds.
---
Volke Posted: 05:28 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004379
Volke
Executioner
+
So bad that you can't really tell what's actually being played?

Well, you can try it. You'd probably be better off creating that kind of sound on your amp, if you haven't already. Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you write?
yossy666 Posted: 05:33 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004385
yossy666
+
The bad kind?

Haha seriously though, I suppose I play punk/grunge/alternative stuff. Think Nirvana/Sonic Youth.
---
Volke Posted: 05:34 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004388
Volke
Executioner
+
A good idea would be to add a lot of Reverb to your guitar sound. Fits perfectly with that kind of thing.
yossy666 Posted: 05:36 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004390
yossy666
+
Mmm. Tis an idea. I should upload something to youtube so you can actually hear what I mean.
---
Repner Posted: 09:56 May20 2011 Post ID: 3004463
Repner
+
Volke said:Once you have done so, buy a lead that can connect your guitar amp to your PC/computer (never place a microphone next to your amp and play it in that way, as the sound quality will turn out to be horrid). Then, when it's all hooked up, start recording. Repeat for any other instruments.

Eh? Is this a joke?

Please tell me you're joking

Ben. Buy an audio interface, an SM57 and a small mic stand. Mic the amp up and work with different mic placements, and ignore everything I've quoted, unless its a modeller like a Pod.

Volke. What on earth are you connecting to on the amp? What amp are you using? If you're using an amp head, you're going to blow the amp. Don't even think of using the speaker out for recording

« Last edited by Repner on May 20th 2011 »
yossy666 Posted: 02:57 May21 2011 Post ID: 3004880
yossy666
+
Wow, thanks Nick. Volke must not have taken his brain medicine.
---
Volke Posted: 06:08 May21 2011 Post ID: 3004894
Volke
Executioner
+
Repner said:
Volke said:Once you have done so, buy a lead that can connect your guitar amp to your PC/computer (never place a microphone next to your amp and play it in that way, as the sound quality will turn out to be horrid). Then, when it's all hooked up, start recording. Repeat for any other instruments.

Eh? Is this a joke?

Please tell me you're joking

Ben. Buy an audio interface, an SM57 and a small mic stand. Mic the amp up and work with different mic placements, and ignore everything I've quoted, unless its a modeller like a Pod.

Volke. What on earth are you connecting to on the amp? What amp are you using? If you're using an amp head, you're going to blow the amp. Don't even think of using the speaker out for recording

The PC is connect to the amp's direct output. You can get leads that link the amp to the PC. That's what I do when I record my guitars with my band's producer. Seventeen songs later and no trouble.
Repner Posted: 10:57 May21 2011 Post ID: 3004962
Repner
+
What amp are you using? And what are you connecting it to on the PC? Eh

And sack your producer. He sounds like a knob who knows nothing about what he's doing. If he uses an amp heads speaker out, he'll break the damn thing

« Last edited by Repner on May 21st 2011 »
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close