Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Bumping

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Xeta Posted: 01:34 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031289
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
I'm not sure where to even find the rules anymore, so quick question.

Is bumping a thread over the age of a month still illegal?

If the answer is yes, I challenge that rule. Bumping should be legal because we could use some good topics nowadays. I mean, look at General Chat, the first page goes for about four days. That's unhealthy. I was on another forum and a member started bumping many threads from five to six years ago, and they all started up again with discussion. I say we ban this rule and let the old threads be revived.

And I'm going to go bump threads now, whether it is against the rules or not. What's the point of making a new one when I can continue an old one?
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
v-gamer Posted: 03:32 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031321
v-gamer
y so srs?
Post Likes: 4
+
Oh, so that explains all the bumping you did. <:

See, I have to agree with what he says. I don't really know why we're so stuck on trying to make new topics, all it does is gets recycled and we all know that it does no more for the community than if someone had bumped that topic.

If it's an irrelevant bump, then fine, I can see your argument about how the post doesn't contribute to the topic and that member would have been better off making a new topic. But a lot of other sites encourage you to see if a topic with similar content has been made, already, before you go on making new topics about it - when you've been on a forum long enough and you start seeing the same topics being made over and over again, it gets a bit annoying and it clutters up the forum. Why have ten one-page topics when you could have just one ten-page topic?

Moreover, I didn't realize that the Upper Administration guidelines required that a member be banned for bumping topics, but that would have to be discussed among you guys in a place where I can no longer see anything being discussed. :3

« Last edited by v-gamer on Jul 5th 2011 »
Avatar: In memory of ieatwyverns <3

Thank you, Vasco <3
Vasco Posted: 06:27 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031336
Vasco
MOE MOE KYUUUUUN
Post Likes: 7
+
Uh, I'm fairly sure this was discussed last year, but the rules were never updated.

What happened to that update Volke wrote over 1000 years ago?

againstall has invaded

BECKY = 10/10
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 09:34 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031368
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
Post Likes: 28
+
So much for common sense.
BURNOUTFREAK Posted: 09:39 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031373
BURNOUTFREAK
edgy
Post Likes: 97
+
You sure did bump some interesting topics Xeta :D

Why you banned though?
v-gamer Posted: 10:00 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031392
v-gamer
y so srs?
+
Forgoten_Scars said:So much for common sense.

I consider myself a fairly open-minded person, but I just don't see the problem with relevant, on-topic, and contributive bumps.
Avatar: In memory of ieatwyverns <3

Thank you, Vasco <3
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 10:32 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031400
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
Common sense says challenge a rule instead of taking things into your own hands. But then again, we all know if this comes from Xeta, it's purely for the shock value. Common sense flies out the window with him.

We'll take everything that's been said into consideration in the upper staff forum. I personally have to partially agree with the message, just not the methods.
Queen Jane Approximately Posted: 12:48 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031478
Queen Jane Approximately
Post Likes: 0
+
Oh come on, I bumped "When is your birthday?" for shock value? Seriously? You seriously have such a bad image of that you think anything I do is for shock value. Stop being so biased. If one of your Teams buddies did it you'd be all for it.

qwertyuio, did you seriously just ban me for bumping old topics? Is that really ban warranting nowadays? So much for the "We're going to be more lenient."

I made this topic before doing it. I was going to wait, but then really, what's the point? If I made this topic nothing was going to get done. I bumped the threads because at least you can decide about the rule now that someone HAS BEEN BANNED FOR IT.

I don't see the problem with my methods.Let's see, General Chat has topics no one has posted in for about three or four days. Doubt they are going to get anymore posts. So let's bump some topics to try and get people posting. Hmm, I bump a topic from 2007, discussing "Teachers." Ok, well, it's 2011, people still have teachers. Hmm, seems like a valid topic then. People can also see what the older members thought of the subject, and maybe if they are lucky, they can see what they themselves thought about four years ago. Now, the harm in that is... hmm... well, nothing comes to mind. Ok let's go to the "What does your name mean" Ok, people still have names... the names still have meanings. Alright! And a lot of the common ones have already been discussed, so some people like myself or steelersrock don't even have to look. What service. Oh I remember that dream thread I made awhile ago, people still have dreams right? Ok, let's bump that one! Ok, we'll do that for a few more threads. Alright, onto TV&Flim. Oh jeez, this place is a desolate wasteland. Ok, let's go back and bump some threads Let's see, that 70s Show is pretty good. Oh, NCIS is good, still airing too. Ok, now let's do some general topics. Disappointing sequels, hey those still come out. What moviecan you watch over and over, well I think people still do that so why not?

Right. What was the problem? I try reviving some thread to bring some activity to the forums. Right, I am so terrible.

qwertyuio I would like to hear your reasoning of the ban also, since you pretty much told me you were going to ban me on MSN and then ran away when I asked you what exactly I was doing that was so harmful. I'm still not too sure, but I'd like everyone's opinion on this matter, so feel free to post how you feel about the subject of bumping.
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 12:53 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031479
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
Xeta banned for 1 week for ban bypassing.

If you have a problem with what Filip does, take it up with an Administrator in their bio. If you want to argue your point here, wait until the ban gets removed, if ever. What you're doing right now is definitely not the right way to go about getting the rules revised. Another ban bypass and you'll be kicked for a month.
geezerguy Posted: 13:28 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031484
geezerguy
Jailbait / Lukie
Post Likes: 43
+
I never did understand why bumping was so bad, and with the examples Ben gave you can't really argue why it's bad..

but it was never that important to me to complain about it really.
Winner of Member Brawl 2011 <3
qwertyuio Posted: 16:39 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031550
qwertyuio
Bite the Bullet
Post Likes: 10
+
Just posting to say I have contacted Xeta with details to reasons for his original 24 hour suspension. Rights to details of ban & all that. The added 1 week is simply due to bypassing, and will likely stay in place as that's a pretty concrete offense. =/

Anyway this thread is meant for his idea to be discussed, not his method and what resulted from it. So please do just that, or posts will be deleted. I'm going to edit this post a bit later with my thoughts on the idea.
Voted Best Nazi Mod Ever <3
stormform Posted: 16:50 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031554
stormform
Eternal Lurker
Post Likes: 43
+
I agree with xeta, I think we should allow thread bumping, but not for threads about events at the time.

steelersrock01 Posted: 18:55 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031697
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
I think that if the thread is still relevant - that is, about a general topic that still is talked about today - it should be allowed to be bumped and posted in. If it's a topic about some obscure news event from 2004, then no, unless it somehow relates to something happening today. Most, if not all, of the topics we have today are recycled from past years, and there's really no reason why we shouldn't be able to post in them. We would just say what we were going to say in the new thread anyway. That's just my thought on the matter.
X__x Posted: 19:28 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031752
X__x
That Resigned Admin Face/Guy
Post Likes: 2
+
To quote Will from 2009 on the subject,
Cross Stinger said:MODERATOR GUIDELINES: CLOSING TOPICS

Topics are only to be closed if . . . if the topic is not related to videogames, the topic?s last reply has been made more than thirty (30) days after the previous post and less than five (5) days before moderation, and: (a) the topic concerns a non-political specific, ephemeral event (such as a date, party, or death in the family) that has passed;(b) the topic has less than twenty (20) posts; and/or (c) the board has more than five (5) pages of history . . . .

In other words, there is technically no prohibition whatsoever on bumping topics in videogame threads, but no prohibition on general boards if the board has less than five pages.

Just wanted to make this clear. Comments, arguments, changes, I'll take them here.

From this staff topic. Pretty much since bumping a topic illegally, it is called for closure. And for closure of a topic, that quote pretty much sums it up. But I do remember amending the bumping length from thirty days to forty five days.

Forgot I had this tag.

I'm also torn between Red and Green from Super Effective.
People kept asking me for minecraft skins. I now tell them to go to my website to request them.
Cross Stinger Posted: 22:58 Jul05 2011 Post ID: 3031893
Cross Stinger
Terrible Treecko
Post Likes: 41
+
That policy was since revised for a more liberal interpretation that hinged on the definition of activity.

Anyway, I'm going to state for the record that the reason for his ban was not the fact that he bumped topics, as we had no way to gauge whether the bumps were valid, but because he expressed a desire to break a rule even though it did not officially exist and because he was insubordinate to the staff. Of course, he was also banned for by-passing the original ban.
sphynxx Posted: 02:32 Jul06 2011 Post ID: 3031964
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
I've always treated the bumping thing on an individual, case by case manner.

If the bumps several years, but opens up avenues for discussion that haven't been present on the first page or two, then I'd personally leave it as it, in the hopes of bringing in new discussion.

If it was a "yea I agree" and added nothing, the thread would probably get closed.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
tbug2007 Posted: 07:10 Jul06 2011 Post ID: 3032051
tbug2007
Da Bug
+
The case by case way is how I do it as well.

ubr cuulness by Craizin the raizin. <3

FILIP R POLICE
Cross Stinger Posted: 20:40 Jul06 2011 Post ID: 3032388
Cross Stinger
Terrible Treecko
Post Likes: 41
+
We do allow ban appeals; they just aren't done like this. They have to be submitted in writing to a super mod or admin and mulled over by the super mods and admins in private.
qwertyuio Posted: 06:46 Jul07 2011 Post ID: 3032528
qwertyuio
Bite the Bullet
Post Likes: 10
+
qwertyuio said:Anyway this thread is meant for his idea to be discussed, not his method and what resulted from it. So please do just that, or posts will be deleted.

Clean up, clean up, everybody clean up...sorry Taylor & Steelers but I'm still trying to salvage the suggestion part of this thread. <3 Xeta, check your bio.

The suggestion has been taken into vote by the staff. The discussion for us staff, has moved there. If any members would like to add something or throw their opinion into the basket for this suggestion, just do so here and the staff will make sure to take note of it.
Voted Best Nazi Mod Ever <3
superblobby Posted: 09:20 Jul07 2011 Post ID: 3032555
superblobby
Please Don't Stop The Banter
Post Likes: 21
+
Really?

REALLY?!

Guys, pull your noggins out from your behinds and try to remember you're not running the country, it's a gaming forum. Ban for this, ban for that, ridiculous. No harm was done to anyone, let alone the fresh air that was breathed into the forums, they actually made me feel like contributing to topics. Sometimes I think I'm the only sane person on this planet.

No, I'm not 'challenging authority' of the gaming forum 'staff' I'm simply displaying common sense.

As for the bumping, excellent idea, always thought it's a great way to increase/maintain activity, so long as the topic at hand is still relevant to the current day.
England; time setters for the entire world.
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close