Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

SAT

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 3 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Previous
tbug2007 Posted: 12:35 Nov10 2011 Post ID: 3075675
tbug2007
Da Bug
Post Likes: 4
+
Which is why entrance to college often isn't based on test scores. But scholarships are.

ubr cuulness by Craizin the raizin. <3

FILIP R POLICE
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Warrior13 Posted: 14:38 Nov10 2011 Post ID: 3075718
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
I do need scholarships. XD
Catharsis Posted: 20:09 Nov10 2011 Post ID: 3075810
Catharsis
One thought fills immensity.
Post Likes: 0
+
tbug2007 said:Which is why entrance to college often isn't based on test scores. But scholarships are.

Eh. Still seems silly to me, seeing as people might well be applying for degrees to which reading comprehension, essay-writing and maths have no direct relevance, but I'd need to know more about what exactly each section entails to know for sure whether the test has any merit at all. All I know is that all the "reading comprehension" tests I did were complete rubbish and we'd completely given up on any tasks explicitly named as such by about year 10 at the latest (ages 14-15).

Signature and avatar made by Master Volthawk.
Email/MSN: empyrean decadence at hotmail dot com (Remove all spaces)

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius." - William Blake.

Winner of Member Brawl '09. Finally cleared out enough sig space to include that.
tbug2007 Posted: 20:15 Nov10 2011 Post ID: 3075816
tbug2007
Da Bug
+
Catharsis said:
tbug2007 said:Which is why entrance to college often isn't based on test scores. But scholarships are.

Eh. Still seems silly to me, seeing as people might well be applying for degrees to which reading comprehension, essay-writing and maths have no direct relevance, but I'd need to know more about what exactly each section entails to know for sure whether the test has any merit at all. All I know is that all the "reading comprehension" tests I did were complete rubbish and we'd completely given up on any tasks explicitly named as such by about year 10 at the latest (ages 14-15).

Because on this test, the harder you study, the better you'll do. And it's not just memorizing facts. It's all about teaching yourself to think objectively. So it judges how much effort you put into it.

Not even all scholarships are affected by it. Only some. Most scholarships are earned by applying :P

FILIP R POLICE
kazualsk8r Posted: 20:37 Nov10 2011 Post ID: 3075824
kazualsk8r
aka Oatmeal
Post Likes: 3
+
Scholarships take essays, too....
Rip Betty white
Catharsis Posted: 20:38 Nov10 2011 Post ID: 3075826
Catharsis
One thought fills immensity.
Post Likes: 0
+
tbug2007 said:Because on this test, the harder you study, the better you'll do. And it's not just memorizing facts. It's all about teaching yourself to think objectively. So it judges how much effort you put into it.

Not even all scholarships are affected by it. Only some. Most scholarships are earned by applying :P

Eh. Again, without ever having seen an SAT paper I can't really judge how good it is. But it's true of most tests that the harder you study, the better you do. It's definitely true of the 11+ over here which is meant to gauge raw intelligence but actually tends to end up gauging who did the most practice papers and whose parents could afford private tuition.

Signature and avatar made by Master Volthawk.
Email/MSN: empyrean decadence at hotmail dot com (Remove all spaces)

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius." - William Blake.

Winner of Member Brawl '09. Finally cleared out enough sig space to include that.
tbug2007 Posted: 20:55 Nov10 2011 Post ID: 3075831
tbug2007
Da Bug
+
Nah, this really isn't. It's really SUPPOSED to be a gauge of intelligence and effort. Dunno how much it actually is though. And you don't have to take it. It's optional.

FILIP R POLICE
Warrior13 Posted: 21:04 Nov10 2011 Post ID: 3075842
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
I just hope to do good on these tests.
Displaying Page 3 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Previous
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close