Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Echoic Memory / Relation

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Forgoten_Scars Posted: 23:11 Apr15 2012 Post ID: 3107382
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
Post Likes: 28
+
I'm too lazy to make two separate topics, so here's you a double team.

Echoic Memory

Memories are a strange thing. Some stick with you, while others fade away without you even realizing they were there.

You ever notice how when you read or try to memorize something, you're more likely to sound it out in your head rather than memorize the letters? There's a reason for that. Humans are auditory beings - We remember sounds more than anything else. It's harder for us to memorize and bring up smells, images, or physical sensations than it is auditory information.

Remember how you were taught to sing your ABC's when you were young? Ever try to speak your alphabet without going into that tune? Ever hear the first few words of a popular song and instantly be able to sing the song with almost no flaw? Bet you can't do the same with a popular quote as easily.

What do you think? Is there any merit to this theory?

Echoic Relationship

Assuming that what I've said so far is true, we must relate people with sounds to some degree as well. Think of it as people having their own theme song. I can really only give you one example; I always associate the following song with sphynxx. I can't think of him without playing the song in my head, and I can't listen to the song without thinking of his fuzzy bearded self.

Do you associate songs with people? Care to give any examples?

And for some reason all this talk of memories makes me feel like a KH 'tard, even though I've only played one game, and sorta hated it...

« Last edited by Forgoten_Scars on Apr 15th 2012 »
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Jay_Dee Posted: 02:33 Apr16 2012 Post ID: 3107397
Jay_Dee
Post Likes: 10
+
I've never associated songs with people or people with songs.
There are some things that I'll hear that will remind me of someone, but not any songs. That I can think of, at least.
sphynxx Posted: 02:49 Apr16 2012 Post ID: 3107410
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
No.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
Keyblade21 Posted: 06:14 Apr16 2012 Post ID: 3107419
Keyblade21
Post Likes: 323
+
To your Echoic Memory Theory, yes i think that is correct. If i try to remember my ABC's i think of the ABC Song. Plus, and i don't know why i didn't think of this before, if you want to memorize something for a class it is much easier to remember if you put it into a song. My teachers have always said that, but i just thought they were full of BS.

To your Echoic Relation Theory, i think that may apply to some people, but for me it doesn't. If i think of a specific person, a song doesn't come to mind, i think it has happened to me, but only once or twice.

« Last edited by Keyblade21 on Apr 16th 2012 »

Avy & Sig credits go to Hurricane0

Want to join in the chat? Head over to General Chat
Pravinj Posted: 06:59 Apr16 2012 Post ID: 3107430
Pravinj
^Oh look! my username...
Post Likes: 60
+
Basically what Keyblade21 said. I do think the memory part is correct, but I myself have never associated people with songs, unless their of course, the ones who wrote it :P

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Email: [email protected]
~Avy and Sig by me~
Volke Posted: 10:32 Apr16 2012 Post ID: 3107480
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
I don't associate songs with people, but I sometimes associate songs with images.

For example, two years ago I lived in my University's student village, which was about a half hour walk away from the uni. At the time, I was really getting into Sonata Arctica, and was constantly listening to their compilation album, 'The Collection', on the way to and fro from uni, as I always used to walk unless it was raining really heavily.

And now...every time I listen to that album, or any individual songs from it on their other albums (as I said, it's a compilation album) then I am reminded of that walk. Even more specifically, certain tracks remind me of certain areas of the walk, because due to the track listing I'd be more likely to be listening to a certain track at a certain area. For example, listening to the first track on the CD reminds me of walking through and out of the student village.

And that is only one example. Another example is Green Day's American Idiot album, which reminds me of the city of Cardiff (capital of Wales) when I listen to it. Why? Because, around the time the album was released, my parents split up (for about a year) and my dad moved to Cardiff during that period, and every other weekend when I'd go up to visit him, I'd listen to that album on the train up if I went by myself, and on the bus if we caught any buses.
super craig Posted: 11:24 Apr16 2012 Post ID: 3107496
super craig
Post Likes: 1
+
I'm too lazy to make two separate topics, so here's you a double team.

Echoic Memory

Memories are a strange thing. Some stick with you, while others fade away without you even realizing they were there.

You ever notice how when you read or try to memorize something, you're more likely to sound it out in your head rather than memorize the letters? There's a reason for that. Humans are auditory beings - We remember sounds more than anything else. It's harder for us to memorize and bring up smells, images, or physical sensations than it is auditory information.

Remember how you were taught to sing your ABC's when you were young? Ever try to speak your alphabet without going into that tune? Ever hear the first few words of a popular song and instantly be able to sing the song with almost no flaw? Bet you can't do the same with a popular quote as easily.

What do you think? Is there any merit to this theory?

I'm not sold on echoic memory. I'm not doubting that auditory sensations are capable of strongly reminded you of events or are a useful means of learning things but I think it's simply down to how people learn best auditory, visual or kinesthetic. Personally I have a crap ability to learn and recall just by listening, I am much better if I am able to visualise something and as a result my most vivid memories are primarily visual in nature.

I'd equally argue that smell is far more capable of inducing memories than sound (obviously memories that involve smell) owning to the close link between our olfactory and limbic systems (a primative part of the brain).

Never really associated people with particular songs.

« Last edited by super craig on Apr 16th 2012 »
Let me be the first to congratulate you on witnessing pure perfection!

Jay_Dee Posted: 13:58 Apr16 2012 Post ID: 3107506
Jay_Dee
Post Likes: 10
+
I know back a few years ago... probably eighth grade, we took some test to learn if we are auditory or visual learners - though I think it was called 'learn better by having teachers show you things, or by learning/self-teaching' to dumb it down for us.

I usually got the visual/self-teach part of it. I have issues with sitting around and just listening to lectures. But if I do something myself, like focus on reading and teaching myself, I learn things much quicker and easier.
Will d (mr ramdom) Posted: 16:14 Apr18 2012 Post ID: 3107883
Will d (mr ramdom)
*Insert witty title here*
Post Likes: 4
+
I've never associated people with songs, usually visual images do that.
Although, when I'm revising or working in class, I usually listen to one album depending on the lesson. That way, when I need to remember something to do with that lesson, listening to that album will help me remember.

^Sig by SG^

My Team. It's amazing.

Contact me at: [email protected]
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close