Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Pokemon Sapphire

Team Building (Basics)

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Fwank Posted at: 01:21 Dec24 2004 Post ID: 44187
Fwank
Post Likes: 4
+
+
ah it's blardi x'mas and i've got nowhere to go, and i've been reading too many people boasting about their level 100 (probabli not even hand trained) uber-ledgendary teams that all have fire blast/thunder/blizzard/hydro pump for their movesets =P ... so i decided to put this up for those who want help with team building but don't want to post their teams up to get rated (demoralized) by the hardcore pokemon maniacs found on these forums =D (i got told my team was 'cut' T-T i don't know what that is but it sounds bad... *Sniff*)

your average team should be balanced, whan i say balanced i don't mean have 1 water 1 fire 1 grass... etc etc etc... i mean you should have pokemon that fulfill different roles, for example an attacker (who would have high attack stats) and a tank (who would have high defense stats) basicali each pokemon on your team has to complement each other, what one lacks you make up for it with the other one... this is key to building a good TEAM

ofcourse, if you want an UBER pokemon that could wipe out all 386 pokemon 1v1, then by all means, put in moves that would have an advantage against all different types. But in team building, this is exactly the type of thing you want to avoid. A Dragonite with thunder bolt/flamethrower/icebeam/fly MIGHT be able to take on many different pokemon on its own, but a dragonite like this on a team of 6 pokemon is wasted space.

Take advantage of each pokemon's stats is extremely important. It's bad for Mewtwo to have hyper-beam because he isn't an attack based pokemon; he's a special assasin (assasins are generaly pokemon who uses its overwhelming speed and atk/sp.atk stats to wipe out a pokemon fast).

since the introduction of ruby and saphire pokemon now know unique abilities, such as groudon's sunny day and kyogre's rain dance... as you can see many people take advantage of abilities when they build their teams, they might have a groudon in their party to help venusaur charge its solar beam faster, or kyogre to help your raichu pull off that thunder with 100% accuracy... adjust your movesets and your teams according to theit abilities.

Finally, i think i should explain some terms i've been using to rate other teams... just incase someone might ask one day:

STAB: same type attack bonus
OHKO: ... one hit KO, someone actually asked me this so ... here you go
Sweeper: a strong attacker who relies heavily on its raw power to literally 'sweep' your opposing team, sweepers are usually capable of finishing off a pokemon in 2 to 3 turns and should be the most abundant type of pokemon in your team, examples of good sweepers are all starter pokemons
Shield/Tank: a strong defender who absorbs damage on behalf of the party to waste their pp on itself instead of others who may be vulnerable against it. One of the best tanks is Lugia.
Assasin: a general term given to pokemon with high atk/sp.atk and speed. (eg arcanine)
Crusher: a general term given to pokemon with monsterous high ATK. stats (dragonite, tyranitar)
Support: pokemon capable of inflicting status changes to the enemy
Chooser: a pokemon that chooses which pokemon to battle through the use of force-switch and trapping moves, for example Crobat with whirlwind and mean look
Dodger: a pokemon that uses moves to dodge enemy moves in order to waste their pp, eg Raichu

... hmmmm i think i talk way too much, but these are the basics, i hope this helpsa little with team building... if you need more detail or examples, ask here, not at Q&A, alot of people will help (not just me la...)

Frank
bleepman Posted at: 21:59 Dec25 2004 Post ID: 44753
bleepman
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
i would rephrase assasin with sweeper, but thats just me.

thank god we have a new guy who actually knows about pokemon in here.
http://www.forumsvibe.com - Start Your Own Free Forum There!
bleepman Posted at: 22:24 Dec25 2004 Post ID: 44755
bleepman
Forum GuestMember
+
+
sorry, i meant to say new a$shole.
Fwank Posted at: 09:26 Dec26 2004 Post ID: 44799
Fwank
+
+
lmao you of all people to read a thread thats titled "team building BASICS" ... whats the matter losing confidence bleepman =D ??
bleepman Posted at: 03:31 Dec27 2004 Post ID: 45024
bleepman
Forum GuestMember
+
+
har har har, very funny.

nope, im still madly conceited about sapphire and my mad skillz.
but i wanted to see whether you were a n00b or not.
Fwank Posted at: 07:42 Dec27 2004 Post ID: 45052
Fwank
+
+
i'm not n00b, just noob, n00b is an over exaggeration...

... nah mate i know what i'm talking about -_-" ... even tho i can't fricken battle you (i realise this is... er... i dunno some what of a 20th post about it) but just help me fix it, i don't think that TVS IAN guy cares about what i say...

Frank
Fwank Posted at: 06:45 Dec28 2004 Post ID: 45288
Fwank
+
+
MOVESETS (EXTREME BASICS)

i knew this since R/B/Y but it doesn't look like alot of people here who says "rate me team" does, so i'm going to tell you guys something extremely important (And obvious) in constructing movesets for pokemon...

ATTACKS:
there are basically 2 types of attacks, and you should all know this... physical and elemental (special)... each pokemon type (fire water etc) has an attack associated to it, for example fire is elemental, while poison is physical...

anyway, those of you don't don't own a nature version and are too stupid to figure it out, here are the attack types of each pokemon type:

Physical: normal, fighting, poison, ground, flying, bug, rock, ghost, steel

Elemental: fire, water, electric, grass, ice, psychic, dragon, dark

physical attacks are associated with the ATK stat, and elemental attacks are associated with the SP.ATK stat. When calculating damage from them, physical damage is calculated using DEF, and elemental calculated using SP.DEF... fair enough right?? simple straight forward stuff this is... but why am i saying this?

I am saying this~ because i see hyper beams on mewtwos, i see fire blasts on dragonites, and i see people say "teach latios fly" ... heres a quick look at why this is not good:

Latios is a Psychic/Dragon that has awsome SP stats, but has low ATK and DEF stats
Fly is a FLYING type move that is PHYSICAL ... duh, you see my point?

when we build a moveset we look at that pokemon's stats, especialy its strengths and weaknesses, thunder on groudon is STUPID because, despite the fact that groudon is a lousy aim, thunder is a SP.ATK associated move, and groudon aint doing too well in that department

RULE ONE: think STAB
Same-Type-Attack-Bonus is your friend, try to consider same type moves as your pokemon rather than teaching it mainstream moves like the 5 pp blast/pumps. Fly is better than Thunder on a dragonite, simply because fly has a STAB with dragonite, and also it's a physical atk, and dragonite exel at ATK stats.

RULE TWO: not too much STAB
the last thing you want to see is this on your charizard:

Blast Burn
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Overheat

Why not? well you might say ah it's becoz overheat brings your sp.atk down... or fireblast is innaccurate... or no physical attacks... but which ever your answer the real reason is obvious aint it? if this charizard looked a crobat in the eye (or any other pokemon with mean look for that matter)... out goes crobat, hello Kyogre!!

RULE THREE: use supporting techs
swords dance, calm mind, bulk up, double team, agility, dragon dance... these are all moves that could bring your stats to its peak and beyond, having one really helps. Never under-estimate stat enhancing moves, don't give your opponents the chance to pump up! other moves like thunder wave, confuse ray, spore are all extremely helpful, they're advantageous beyond words for trainers of your level.

RULE FOUR: look out for odd moves
most moves are learnt naturaly by pokemon FOR A REASON, don't go deleting moves just because it seems useless now; it may yet have a purpose when the pokemon levels up further, some good examples are Articuno's mind reader/sher cold, the Regi's lock on/zap cannon, wobbuffet's encore/mirrorcoat/counter... etc

Finaly, take this moveset for an example:

Herracross
Endure
Reversal
Megahorn
Brick Break

this is an example of an above average moveset, endure was already on herracross, so i kept it and eventually it learned reversal. if you breed herracross you'll find it learns Flail as an egg move, which also complements endure quick well. All of the moves in this moveset are physical, taking advantage of herracross's above-average atk stats, and they all give STAB.

hmmm... i've reached my post quota, so lucky for you lot i can't post anymore, when i start seeing better teams i'll post new team building stuff...

Frank
bleepman Posted at: 21:36 Dec28 2004 Post ID: 45540
bleepman
Forum GuestMember
+
+
try completely removing netbattle from your computer, and redownloading it through a different mirror, i had to do that since the files were corrupted the first time i downloaded the newest version, it may help Smile
Fwank Posted at: 00:40 Dec29 2004 Post ID: 45586
Fwank
+
+
ahaha thx for the effort, i've gone to the forum at the site (which is up now ... finally) and updated it, it works now... only i kinda don't win =s... keep screwing up with the interface, need to get used to using it

(i argued with this dude that my pokeon won't switch out because i've already 'sent' them but nothing happens *i clicked the Send button instead of Switch button..*)

hahaha my rating is pretty **** if i have one man, a team of 6 shedinjas XD i ****** someone off extremely hard by switching to a shedinja when their metagross exploded XDDDDDDDDDD (only thing its good for now)

Frank
dragonsly345 Posted at: 22:08 Dec29 2004 Post ID: 46073
dragonsly345
Forum GuestMember
+
+
hi peoples i want 2 no which figting,phychic ect i sould hav i hav a water what would b the best phychic {that u can get in pokemon sapphire without tradeing thanx} would that b alakazam? or jirach deoxys? 4 i hav them both lvl 100 and i can get them at lvl 6 and 7 and i can lvl them up easily i train a ton
fighting who?blaziken? i hav him lvl 100
grass:breeloom? i hav him i will lvl him up
fire who????????????????
or mayb a dragon salamence or flygon or latios or latias
ice regice
steel regesteel?
rock regirock? i want a good team and im not getting rid of swampert NO MADDER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanx bleep and fwank
yo it's me ****!my ar is busted it erased all its ******* info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!heres a joke
what happens when u put a rooster in the freezer?

a stiff ****!!!!!!!!!
Fwank Posted at: 00:19 Dec30 2004 Post ID: 46108
Fwank
+
+
LMAO ... way too emotional ahahaha XD you funny ****... *tears* haha kz... erm there is no 'good team' just 'teams that do worse than others' ^^" soz to disappoint you but you have to build a team to your style...

assuming you've read everything i said, just keep those things in mind when you're building your team, and the types are not everything, you can alway teach deoxys flamethrower and make it your fire type on your team, i can tell you now that it will be stronger than any other fire types in the game -_-" (hey man, 400 SP.ATK, only Latios can beat that...) i don't really think types are that important, just work on some movesets according to your pokemon's types

for instance, Bleep always uses a Latios that has 600 Sp.ATK (i do too but not that often) after 2 or 3 calm minds it is capable of wiping out any pokemon in one hit (like a deoxys, but wayyyyyy fkn stronger) I once killed a mewtwo with a psychic =D (i baton passed 3 calm minds and 2 agilities to Latios... praise the dude who i battled for sleeping so long)

so ya see, types aren't that important anyway, it might give you that 10% STAB and maybe that extra defense against the wrong type attacks, but with the right moves and right stats, you could have a whole team of psychics and you can stil beat people easily -_-" (shuckle is a bug/rock pokemon, but you never see anyone kill that do you...) concentrate on roles instead of types...

... erm... sorry if you feel i didn't answer your question, bleepman should get to you shortly on that =D ...

Frank
bleepman Posted at: 11:46 Dec31 2004 Post ID: 46867
bleepman
Forum GuestMember
+
+
its funny that the *** kisser of link hasnt shown up on this topic. oh well, its better!!

and fwank whats your username?
bleepman Posted at: 12:43 Dec31 2004 Post ID: 46886
bleepman
Forum GuestMember
+
+
its funny that the *** kisser of link hasnt shown up on this topic. oh well, its better!!

and fwank whats your username?
Fwank Posted at: 02:47 Jan01 2005 Post ID: 47148
Fwank
+
+
lol he passed out from reading coz it's too much reading for his level...

... and to be frank (as usual) who the heck would come and read a team building basics thread? if they all think they're top shet that is -_-" (obviously i know TEAM KA leader hasn't come to read this yet)

btw, this thread is useless lol, no one who rili needs it reads this stuff lmao, should've called this thread "hot sexy girls"... or "princess zelda nude" so that link kisser would rili show up =D

Frank
Fwank Posted at: 07:45 Jan04 2005 Post ID: 49101
Fwank
+
+
hmmm a bit of an update

although i don't think anyone reads this, i'll write this for my own enjoyment ... my leg is stil broken, so i have plenty of time to burn and fat to waste...

... this isn't a new installment, more like a friendly reminder... ever since i saw charizardkid's team i felt touched T-T my words are gettin through to people T-T ... if you could goto the Fire Red forums and find his team in a recent team rating forum... it's got a lovely example of good movesets (on the right type)

now the ONLY way to improve a team like that is to add in some stratergies, one of the most immediate changes he can add to his teams are held items!!

Ever since ruby/sapphire came out with their fancyful berries, TONNES more stratergies poped up. The rare berries found in the games are extremely useful in a tough battle... like the ledgendary liechi berry, which maximises your ATK when your HP falls below 1/4... thats extremely useful

here's an example of co-ordinated item usage (using my belovid herracrosS)

Herracross @ Salac Berry
Endure
Reversal
Megahorn
Brick Break

now salac berries are rare, but man they're one of the best berries you can get; it max'es speed when you fall below 1/4 HP... ... gettin the picture? send herracross out to a potentiali fatal opponent (charizard or any other bird) and use endure to make your HP drop to 1 !!! Then the magical salac kicks in and makes you UNPARALELLED in speed XDD then you can reversal away ~~~~~ and since your speed has been maxed, you don't have to worry abuot gettin hit, since you always attack first XDDDD how cool is that XDDDD

Although the above combo is EASILY countered... it's good at gettin rid of at least one or two pokemon... this combo doesn't require much help from other team members, so it's a good space filler if you've put together an unbeatable team of 5 and no idea what to have for 6th (always happens)

So REMEMBER, don't just mass left overs on your team, think of creative ways to use items help you turn the tide against your opponents!!!

ok now that i'm satisfied with my daily dose of flooding, i hope you enjoy, and post some good combos that you come up with =D i'd love to disscuss theory (yes i'm sad, cut a 1 legged boy some slack)

Frank
brady Posted at: 01:17 Apr18 2005 Post ID: 134370
brady
Forum GuestMember
+
+
hi guys
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
This topic has been closed by 213562