Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Oculus Rift

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Lachy Posted: 22:11 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312314
Lachy
Post Likes: 4
+
So Facebook has just bought the Oculus Rift from 21-year-old creator Palmer Luckey for $2 billion...

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I don't want to see "Virtual Farmville" released and be getting even MORE game requests from people I don't know, nor do I want to have to log in to Facebook every time I use the Oculus Rift. My hopes are that Facebook aren't going to use it for a short-term money turnover, and actually continue the development of this great idea.

Thoughts?
I tried to do an internet once...

- Link is my main man -

2K98
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
steelersrock01 Posted: 22:17 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312316
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Kind of disappointed, but it's business. Facebook and Oculus are saying it'll affect much, but I'm skeptical. I can see ads and required facebook integration all over it.
Sharks Posted: 22:17 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312318
Sharks
Post Likes: 12
+
Facebook needs to establish themselves as more than just a social media site.
Sure it's a name that every knows, but no major video-game development company is going to require their customers to log into Facebook to use Oculus Rift.

If they branded everything under a corporate name (i.e. Facebook, a "blahblahblah" site), they could branch out and have their other endeavors spread to other mediums.
steelersrock01 Posted: 22:20 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312319
steelersrock01
+
Yeah, but Facebook could require users to log in to use the Rift.
Sharks Posted: 22:23 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312321
Sharks
+
steelersrock01 said:Yeah, but Facebook could require users to log in to use the Rift.

They probably will, which is the bad thing.
Can you imagine Titanfall, Skyrim, etc. where your account has to be linked to your Facebook? No game developer wants to force anything like that on there customers.
Lachy Posted: 22:24 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312322
Lachy
Post Likes: 4
+
If a Facebook login was required, that would mean that every Oculus user would have to have a Facebook account, which would mean GREAT things for Facebook. All i'm seeing is a massive web of their products trying to boost one anothers user base.
I tried to do an internet once...

- Link is my main man -

2K98
steelersrock01 Posted: 22:25 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312323
steelersrock01
+
Is it the developer's choice though? Facebook could just not allow games to work with the Rift if you aren't logged in.
Sharks Posted: 22:28 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312325
Sharks
+
steelersrock01 said:Is it the developer's choice though? Facebook could just not allow games to work with the Rift if you aren't logged in.

We're not understanding each other haha.

Facebook will probably require you to log in to your facebook account to use the Rift.

I don't see Rift becoming a viable option for gaming anyways, but if it did, this log-in requirement will prevent it from expanding into the big gaming franchises. Why would a developer want to outsource their profiles to Facebook?
KingofCorn Posted: 23:00 Mar26 2014 Post ID: 3312328
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
Post Likes: 615
+
This sounds like an interesting accessory. I'd love play Portal or Mirror's Edge with it. I really hope it doesn't require Facebook or internet.
Novus Posted: 07:44 Mar27 2014 Post ID: 3312411
Novus
Post Likes: 72
+
I'm honestly very disappointed in OR for selling to Facebook. I understand it's business, and that's obviously a lot of money. But I'm disappointed.
I really hope Sony's venture into VR turns out well. I'll be perfectly happy to buy a 'Morpheus' if it's any good.
I'm sure it'll have seamless integration with the PS4, too, and that's the new-gen console I plan on buying, eventually.
I'm a bit worried with Sony's thing, though. I tend to think the only hardware they do well is their console. A lot of the other crap they make is... crap. Compared to other brands. Bluray is one of the few exceptions to that.

I may have to come back and edit this post. I'm way too tired, and can't even figure out if it's clear enough to me, let alone other people. xD
KingofCorn Posted: 10:35 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312666
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
What games work with the Rift?
Matt77 Posted: 10:38 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312669
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
I have no idea. I don't even know what Oculus Rift is.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
KingofCorn Posted: 10:41 Mar28 2014 Post ID: 3312672
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
VR goggles.
Novus Posted: 07:42 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312876
Novus
Post Likes: 72
+
Games that can be used with Oculus.
KingofCorn Posted: 08:05 Mar29 2014 Post ID: 3312887
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
A guy was on Shark Tank last night trying to sell the Omni Pad(the Omni Pad allows a gamer to run in any direction forever) The guy had it packaged with the Oculus Rift. None of the sharks invested because they didn't think that gamers wanted virtual reality. They even called gamers lazy and fat!
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close