Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Comic and Games Business Needs Website Advice

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

SuperJen Posted: 04:20 Apr24 2014 Post ID: 3317282
SuperJen
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 1
+
Hi all, I need your help. (I'm sorry if this is not the right platform to post this, but I thought it was most relevant and I'd give it a shot)

My fiance and I are thinking about getting a website started. Well, more him than me, but I thought I'd ask anyway. He and his friend/business partner have a local comic book and games business and wants to get a site running for information, pictures, events, etc (and me being more comfortable with technology decided to help out with the project). Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that he'd like to start a website for his business where he can do all this stuff.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions about hosting and domain services? I'm sure a good number of you have your own websites or perhaps deal with them through your work. There is so much out there so getting some suggestions could help significantly with my research.

We pretty much need something that's easy to use because there might be multiple people working on it. Easy platform, good service, fair prices would be awesome. Any suggestions will help loads.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
SuperJen Posted: 04:38 Apr24 2014 Post ID: 3317284
SuperJen
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 1
+
If it helps at all, I've been looking at hosting and domain services with 1and1 (here is the link for reference http://website.1and1.com/free-website-builder ). I don't think it's big in the states but a few friends I have in the UK use it and they seem to like it. Any thoughts?
Novus Posted: 08:55 Apr24 2014 Post ID: 3317299
Novus
Post Likes: 72
+
GoDaddy and 1and1 are definitely the top two choices in my opinion. I've no personal experience with 1and1, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. And they've been backed by some random trusted sources, so I like to think that counts as a positive as well.

The service you choose doesn't directly affect your website much - If I go to your site, I wouldn't be able to tell you if the domain was hosted by GoDaddy or 1and1 or anything else - So choose whichever one is better for you.

But it may not be a bad idea to start with a free site hosting thing - Domains aren't expensive anymore, but it's still money you could be potentially wasting if the site doesn't take off. Sites like uCoz (which used to be, and maybe still is, a very popular choice) are decent.

Even getting a basic following on social networks (Facebook, Twitter, even Tumblr) would be a good start. Establish a decent presence online before investing too much time, money, and effort into a full-on website of your own.

I know a couple people (photographers in particular) that started out with Blogspot for awhile, and then eventually switched to their own site. And some just stick strictly to social media sites (Tumblr being the major host, and Facebook/Twitter/Etc. for basic information and links).

If there are plans to start an online store, though, you'll need your own site. I think uCoz offers the ability to open a store, but you have to pay to get that feature. There may be other site-hosting things like uCoz that do that as well. But you obviously can't open an online store using Twitter. :p

But for actual domain names, like I said, I'd stick with GoDaddy or 1and1. Do a bit of research, see which one you like more. Both are great, and have few flaws.

« Last edited by Novus on Apr 24th 2014 »
steelersrock01 Posted: 12:01 Apr24 2014 Post ID: 3317320
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
All fantastic advice^. As Novus said, make sure you have a presence on all the major social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google+) and link back to your site as often as possible.

As for hosting, I'd go with something free like Novus said to get started, then if you start to see some traffic transfer it to a professional domain. However, since you're a professional business, you may want to start off with a ".com" domain instead of a ".ucoz.com" domain for the sake of appearance. It's up to you.

Also, when designing the site, make sure you either use a professional template or design your own, as it doesn't look to good when there's a message saying "Template provided by freetemplates.com" in the footer of every page of your site.

Good luck. When you get started you can post your site here for us to give a look at and suggest things for, as long as you don't try to sell us stuff.
Novus Posted: 06:06 Apr25 2014 Post ID: 3317393
Novus
Post Likes: 72
+
Steelers said:However, since you're a professional business, you may want to start off with a ".com" domain instead of a ".ucoz.com" domain for the sake of appearance. It's up to you.

That's a good addition - I didn't even think of that.
It's been so long since I've even looked at uCoz - I forgot they add to the URL like that. :p
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close