Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

NFL - Discussion Thread

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 103 of 461
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | ... | 459 | 460 | Last     Previous | Next
Matt77 Posted: 11:06 Apr29 2018 Post ID: 3444141
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Realistically it's the first 3 rounds that matter, and we went ok there.

Huh? I had another look at our picks and I think overall it's pretty good. We grabbed another TE, a RB, and some test project picks. What would you have done differently?

NY Giants win in the short term, but long term they failed. Barkley is great in the long term yes, but they picked a QB very late with little chance for success when they could've selected Darnold. Eli isn't good anymore. They drafted as if they think they can win the SB this season. When Eli retires they are screwed, and it will burn if Darnold does well right next door.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sanzano Posted: 09:34 Apr30 2018 Post ID: 3444155
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
I have to agree with Matt about the Giants, no point having a potentially great running back if all the pieces are not in place around him. I hope Barkley doesn't become another Barry Sanders, great running back playing on a poor team with no chance of reaching the Super Bowl.

Giants in my opinion should have nabbed a top quarterback and a couple of decent offensive linemen in rounds 2 and 3 and look to work on that. If Darnold leads the Giants bitter rivals the Jets to the Super Bowl Barkley will be looked upon as a wasted opportunity.

I'm happy with the Redskins first three picks, Guice apparently said he's going to make all those teams that passed him by and choose other running backs pay for their mistake. Guice already runs in Beast mode, I bet there's some secondary players in the NFC East who are a bit concerned because this guy likes to dish out punishment to anyone who tries to tackle him. I read his scouting report, 'side tackles will not get the job done bringing him down'. Love that, just what the Redskins need...

Matt77 Posted: 09:48 Apr30 2018 Post ID: 3444156
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Now that all the talked-about QBs have found homes and we've stopped all the speculation, which of them do you think will be booms or busts?

Mayfield - Bust. Firstly it's Cleveland and they only pick the duds. Secondly he has unfavourable height and inconsistent footwork. College < NFL.
Darnold - Boom. He was clearly the best QB of the draft and has all the makings of a quality player (if you can fix his fumbling).
Allen - Bust. Cannon arm with no accuracy.
Rosen - Boom. A steal at pick 10. Sort out his attitude and keep him healthy, and you've got a future pro bowl player. Has very solid mechanics.
Jackson - Boom. I see a lot of upside for Jackson. He can do some things no NFL QB has ever been able to do. He's going to throw a lot of INTs in his career, but when you throw in big plays, big runs, and uncanny athleticism, it balances out. There's also less pressure on him compared to his top 10 opponents.

« Last edited by Matt77 on Apr 30th 2018 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Sanzano Posted: 12:35 Apr30 2018 Post ID: 3444157
Sanzano
+
Matt, I have a feeling Mayfield will be the best and most successful, there?s something about the way he carries himself. He reminds me of a young Tom Brady, he?s got total belief in his ability and it rubs off on whoever plays with him. Joe Montana had that same presence as well and he didn?t have a strong arm either, not worried about him being a couple of inches too short either, it didn?t hinder Doug Flutie and he was five inches shorter than Mayfield. That Cleveland team is starting to look good, if Mayfield gets them believing they?re going to start winning games.

Darnold is the most NFL ready, shame he?s gone to the Jets. Not much of a personality, probably have a ten year career with the Jets but do nothing of note during that time. Maybe a couple of playoff appearances but that?s about it.

Josh Allen, I think will end up being a back-up within four years, not accurate enough for the NFL. Buffalo will lose patience.

Josh Rosen, I see him being another Jeff George, a talented player not liked in the locker room and who ends up playing for half a dozen NFL teams before retiring, again achieving nothing of note during his time in the NFL.

Lamar Jackson, something tells me he could develop into an NFL Star. He?s gone to the right team, the Steelers have a history of turning misfits into superstars. Cordel Stewart comes straight to mind.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Apr 30th 2018 »

Matt77 Posted: 18:50 Apr30 2018 Post ID: 3444158
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Jackson is at the Ravens. Rudolph at the Steelers.

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 19:07 Apr30 2018 Post ID: 3444159
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
I do not know if Jackson will ever amount to anything. Flacco was steamed by the pick, plus this is a contract year for him. Could be all the motivation he needs.

Rudolph will not become anything either. Steelers have no idea how to draft QBs since Ben.
Matt77 Posted: 19:38 Apr30 2018 Post ID: 3444160
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Flacco is on borrowed time. Baltimore did well drafting a QB. Outside of his outstanding postseason that lead Baltimore to a SB win, Flacco has been an average QB. 6/10 stuff. I'm a big fan of QBs who can run, and Jackson is pretty much a QB, WR, & RB combined into one position. Opposition teams will have nightmares trying to work out each play.

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 08:16 May01 2018 Post ID: 3444164
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Flacco played outstanding that postseason why? Because it was a contract year. I am just saying do not be surprised if Flacco tears it up this year. After drafting Aaron Rodgers, Favre made it as far as the NFC Championship. After trading for Steve Young, a former first round pick, Montana still led the 49ers to the playoffs practically every year. Flacco could very well do the same, which could see Jackson never take the field as the starter.

Besides, history would show you that Jackson has a very low percentage of success. Only Michael Vick had some success with that same skill set, but I do not know if anyone in their right mind would say he is one of the greats. Jackson is a glorified receiver that will get his chance to ultimately fail as a QB.
Matt77 Posted: 11:00 May01 2018 Post ID: 3444169
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
History also suggests Baker Mayfield is going to be a total bust, but Cleveland still selected him at pick 1 lol. They obviously saw something in him that differentiated him from most short QBs. Jackson will be as good as his talent lets him. Imo he needs to pass 60% of the time and the other 40% either run like a RB or throw in trick plays where someone throws to him as if he's a WR. The fact he's not a typical QB doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's like with Allen. While I think he is going to fail misreably, he may not, as long as he plays to his strengths. If he uses his cannon arm to good effect, he can just throw 70 yards to his receivers and get quick TDs out of nowhere. And if he sees a tight window he should hesitate passing because of his woeful accuracy.

I guess we'll see. Flacco is capable of good performances still, but it's a matter of him having some consistency. I'd say no matter what he's the starter all of next season though. Especially if this happens and Jackson can sit for a year, there will be differences with he and Vick. If I'm not mistaken Vick was a #1 draft pick or at least a very high one. Jackson is #32 and the 5th best QB in this class. There'll be next to no pressure on him, especially since most people think he's a bust. He's a big boom or bust prospect, but compared to the price other teams will pay if their top 4 QB fails, it won't be so bad for Baltimore if their gamble doesn't pay off.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 15:05 May01 2018 Post ID: 3444171
Sanzano
+
Matt77 said:Jackson is at the Ravens. Rudolph at the Steelers.

Oh no... I thought Lamar Jackson went to the Steelers. I rememember them and New England being interested in him, in that case that?s another two busts. I don?t think Mason Rudolph is good enough to be a starter. He?ll probably get a chance and come up short. It?s tough being a quarterback who has to take over from a retiring legend, the fans will be on his case the moment he starts screwing up.

What is it with Mayfield height? I don?t see a problem. Mayfield is 6 feet 1. Drew Brees is 6 feet even and Aaron Rogers is 6 feet 2 which places him in between two of the best quarterbacks currently playing the game.

Warrior13 is bang on the money about Lamar Jackson. He may be an outstanding athlete who is able to play several positions but the skill set he offers doesn?t work in the NFL and if it does it?s short term. Too much money and more importantly time invested into quarterbacks these days to have the guy pulling the strings for you team running around the field taking on linebackers and safeties. Everybody these days wants a deadly accurate pocket passer who can march up the field completing a high percentage of passes.

Flacco will probably get replaced half-way through the season if the Ravens struggle and it will be quickly evident that Lamar Jackson is not the answer.

I see that Miami are already showing interest in Drew Lock in next years draft. If Tannenhill can?t put together a few wins and the Dolphins are in a position to get Lock, they?ll pull the trigger. Funny enough this is the scenario I was predicting five months ago.

« Last edited by Sanzano on May 1st 2018 »

Matt77 Posted: 19:12 May01 2018 Post ID: 3444175
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Big Ben has come out and done a 180, and said he's planning to play for the next 3-5 seasons. I don't buy it, but it clearly says he doesn't want to lose his starting job anytime soon. Looks like Ben just screwed over his team and made them waste a pick. Rudolph will get cut in 3 years after playing 0 games.

The draft notes consistently mention that Mayfield falls short of the size marks for an early 1st round pick, and that spread QBs and short QBs have limited success in the NFL. Mayfield fits both these categories.

Why does it matter so much that Jackson is at Baltimore compared to Pittsburgh. The above clearly says his career would've been over if he went to PIT. Besides, they've done really well developing Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs. By the time Jackson gets a go, they would've probably drafted another WR too.

Way too early mock drafts for 2019 have up to 5 QBs being picked in the 1st round. Most have around 4. Miami and Washington have to draft QBs.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 05:17 May02 2018 Post ID: 3444187
Sanzano
+
Yeah Matt, I don't think Pittsburgh fans will be too happy with the wasted pick, they could have got a decent wide reciever.

I know its too early to think about the 2019 draft but for me as a Redskins fan its difficult to get excited about the forthcoming season as I know Washington are going to be the cellar dwellars of the NFC East and end up with a 5-ll record. I don't think Alex Smith is the answer, he's been dumped by two previous NFL teams which to me says everything. If however he does play like he did with Kansas at the start of last season and instantly gets a raport with Crowder, Doctson and the new guy from Seattle who's supposed to be a burner it may be interesting, especially now with Guice and Thompson in the backfield and the tight end coming back from injury. On paper the defense now looks solid but who knows, I'm not expecting many wins to be honest. I've got one eye on next years college quarterbacks that will be entering the draft to be honest and praying to the football gods the Redskins get a good one.

If you're honest you're probably thinking the same about Miami and Ryan Tannenhills replacement.

Warrior13 Posted: 07:13 May02 2018 Post ID: 3444189
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I actually think the Redskins have the potential to go 9-7 or 10-6 this year, like all of the rest of the NFC East Teams. Smith for Cousins was a lateral move, plus they had a handful of kye injuries last year. And do not forget that they had a really good draft, including getting Payne and Guice.

The NFC East is up for grabs again, far more than what I can say for the AFC East.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on May 2nd 2018 »
Matt77 Posted: 07:34 May02 2018 Post ID: 3444190
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
I actually agree Warrior, about the Redskins. I do think they'll finish about 6-10, but if they get things right the upside is very good. It's fair to say Philly may not win the division. 12 months ago we were all (mostly all) saying Dallas would probably win it. No-one mentioned Philly. Yes, any team could win the NFC East.

Bold & Early Bird Predictions for playoffs:

New England
LA Chargers
Pittsburgh
Jacksonville
Houston
Baltimore / Denver (I'm very torn)

LA Rams
Philly
Atlanta
Green Bay
Minnesota
Detroit

Bold & a bit stupid SB prediction: Detroit win it all for the first time ever, against Jacksonville

More realistic SB prediction: Green Bay win against New England

« Last edited by Matt77 on May 2nd 2018 »

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 10:46 May02 2018 Post ID: 3444191
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Way Too Early Playoff Predictions...

AFC;
#1) Patriots
#2) Steelers
#3) Chargers
#4) Jacksonville
#5) Broncos
#6) Chiefs/Ravens/Raiders/Titans/Texans

Clearly Patriots are the favorites with Brady and Gronk back for 2018. Steelers are still the second best AFC team. Chargers finished 9-3 over their last twelve games last season, which should make them the favorites in the West. I doubt the Jaguars will be as good as last year, but their defense should see them beating out the Titans and Texans. Final seed is a crashoot; could go any which way.

NFC:
#1) Falcons
#2) Packers
#3) Rams
#4) Eagles
#5) Saints
#6) Giants/Cowboys/Panthers/Redskins/Vikings/Lions

Falcons and Packers have to be the favorites to win the NFC after having incredible drafts. Rams will contest, but I think it will take some time for all of their new players to gel together. I hate the Eagles, and I hope to god they miss the playoffs. Even though the Saints made questionable draft picks, they and the Falcons were the two best teams, talent wise, last year. The final seed, like the AFC, is a crapshoot right now.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on May 2nd 2018 »
Matt77 Posted: 19:14 May02 2018 Post ID: 3444196
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
I like your selections a lot. Especially having Minnesota miss. I really think they will digress. They'll be able to hold onto a wildcard spot imo, but enough of these 'experts' saying they'll win it all. Realistically they should've been one and done to New Orleans after choking a 17-0 HT lead, at home. Personally I just think LA Rams will get top spot due to being in an easy division, not necessary being the outright best team. Arizona are still in a half-rebuild, Seattle are heading in the wrong direction, and San Francisco are overrated. Atlanta will have to deal with New Orleans, Carolina, & Tampa Bay for a total of 6/16 games. Philly will also digress, but their division is easier once again. I think Atlanta is slightly better than both LA Rams & Philly.

As usual the NFC is exciting and unpredictable but the AFC is always the same. Every year we lock New England & Pittsburgh, so it's just looking at 2/4 divisions & then which mediocre team will get the #6 spot. AFC contenders are NE, PIT, & JAX. NFC contenders are GB, LAR, ATL, PHI, MIN, DET, NO, & CAR. And yes, Detroit are actually a contender. Don't underestimate them now that they have improved their running game.

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 22:49 May02 2018 Post ID: 3444200
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I would have to disagree about Jacksonville, but only because Blake Bortles is a ticking time bomb. He doesn't deserve to be in the NFL, at least not as a starter. If they had any other QB, they would've beat the Patriots last year to go to the Super Bowl.

I think the Lions have a shot, but only as a Wild Card. Unless Rodgers gets hurt again, the Packers are going to rip a lot of teams. Their secondary was horrible last year, but they got two 1st Round talents at Cornerback in the draft, to players that are different and compliment each other perfectly. But hey, if the Lions make the playoffs, anything can happen. Shoot, the Titans upset KC last year. lol
FreezShock Posted: 23:15 May02 2018 Post ID: 3444209
FreezShock
Tactical Wizard
Post Likes: 85
+
I agree that Minnesota has scraped glory lately, but I think they need to fall back and regroup this year, and solidify as a team before becoming a playoff regular. Too much QB controversy cost them with Bridgewater and Keenum.

I'm a wandering tactician, here to help those in need. My strategies are yours.
Matt77 Posted: 04:46 May03 2018 Post ID: 3444212
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Warrior, I have to disagree with your disagreement of my statement. Jacksonville lead 20-10 over NE with 8 minutes left. They were very close. They'll learn from that, and should hopefully finish big games like that better. As much as Bortles is maligned by people (including me), he showed that he can perform adequately in the playoffs. Kirk Cousins: 0-1. Blake Bortles: 2-1. Shoot, he lead them to 2 wins there. Passing for 293 yards and no INTs in your first ever playoff appearance and first ever AFC Championship game, away from home, is pretty good. Plus, if he absolutely stinks it this season, they have a virtually untried QB in Cody Kessler who put up half decent numbers in his 8 games at the QB Graveyard. Most QBs would go ok at Jacksonville.

Freez that's understandable, but that attitude will be detrimental to Minnesota. Superbowl windows aren't open for very long, and they need to make the most of this chance. You can't just throw away a season. They recruited a primetime flop in Kirk Cousins for a mega deal while throwing out their former franchise QB, and another guy who helped create the Minneapolis Miracle. It's make the Superbowl or bust for them.

And Dennis wherever you are, kickoffs have officially been altered. Not as drastically as I previously reported, but things have been changed. I don't know the details though cause the article seemed like a drag and I couldn't be bothered properly reading it lol.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 09:12 May03 2018 Post ID: 3444213
Sanzano
+
I've been looking at the odds for the Super Bowl. Looks like nobody is giving Washington or Miami a hope in hell. 100-1 alongside the Cleveland Browns is insulting. I must admit though at the moment for as long as I've been following the game which goes all the way back to 1982 I have never seen the league so evenly balanced. Lets be honest on any given Sunday even the bottom team will give the top team a run for their money.

If I was a betting man I would stick a few quid on Detroit at 50-1, I rate Stafford as a Quarterback and the team as a whole put up some good performances last year. I have a horrible feeling Minnesota will be a bust this year regardless of what the experts say, I personally think they would have been better off sticking with Keenum. Cousins has to come in, learn a new system, develop a rapport with new recievers and live up to the money the Vikings have given him. I don't think he can do it. People forget he has a habit of making bad decisions in pressure situations. A sensible bet would probably be the New Orlean Saints at 18-1.

New England Patriots: 5-1
Pittsburgh Steelers: 8-1
Philadelphia Eagles: 8-1
Los Angeles Rams: 10-1
Green Bay Packers: 12-1
Minnesota Vikings: 12-1
San Francisco 49ers: 16-1
Houston Texans: 18-1
Kansas City Chiefs: 18-1
Jacksonville Jaguars: 18-1
New Orleans Saints: 18-1
Dallas Cowboys: 20-1
Atlanta Falcons: 25-1
Oakland Raiders: 25-1
Los Angeles Chargers: 25-1
Carolina Panthers: 40-1
Denver Broncos: 50-1
Baltimore Ravens: 40-1
Tennessee Titans: 40-1
Indianapolis Colts: 40-1
Detroit Lions: 50-1
New York Giants: 50-1
Seattle Seahawks: 60-1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 60-1
Chicago Bears: 60-1
New York Jets: 80-1
Buffalo Bills: 80-1
Arizona Cardinals: 100-1
Washington Redskins: 100-1
Miami Dolphins: 100-1
Cincinnati Bengals: 100-1
Cleveland Browns: 100-1

« Last edited by Sanzano on May 3rd 2018 »

Displaying Page 103 of 461
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | ... | 459 | 460 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close