Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

NFL - Discussion Thread

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 156 of 461
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | ... | 459 | 460 | Last     Previous | Next
Matt77 Posted: 08:35 May21 2019 Post ID: 3448012
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Yes, you can take the QB Fitzpatrick. He would be a great fit for your team...Dancing

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sanzano Posted: 01:32 May22 2019 Post ID: 3448013
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
Lol, the Redskins are one of the few teams that guy hasn't spent time with. He must hold the NFL record for a journeyman NFL quarterback, he's played for about eight teams in his career. Mind you when he's hot the guy's a handful, problem is he's more cold than hot. He won't be spending more than a season with Miami. Miami will pick up a decennt rookie next year regardless.

Warrior13 Posted: 09:38 May22 2019 Post ID: 3448014
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
If Rosen works out, we wont need a rookie. A journeyman would do just fine in that case. lol
Sanzano Posted: 01:40 May23 2019 Post ID: 3448017
Sanzano
+
I'd rather have a decent rookie to develop and back up Rosen who will have two years NFL experience under his belt than have Fitzpatrick hanging around. Fitzpatrick is too eratic for my liking, he's probably more interested in trying to hang onto his job than win the Super Bowl.

The Redskins have signed ex Steeler linebacker Jon Bostic to replace the injured Rueben Foster. I would have prefered Reggie Ragland. On the subject of Rueben Foster, the Sanfrancisco 49rs must be fuming after the girl Foster was accused of assaulting said she made the whole thing up.

« Last edited by Sanzano on May 23rd 2019 »

Warrior13 Posted: 04:03 May23 2019 Post ID: 3448018
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I would rather have someone with experience as a backup. Fitzpatrick fits the bill. Now, if the roles were flipped and we had a veteran QB, then yes, I would rather have a ypung QB to groom.
Sanzano Posted: 04:34 May23 2019 Post ID: 3448019
Sanzano
+
If the team had a reasonable chance of reaching the Super Bowl I make you correct but the Dolphins are unfortunately a long way off at the moment. They are better of building a young team than carrying veterans who are just looking to survive in the NFL. If Rosen gets injured and management feels the rookie backup is not ready then call in a veteran. Thinking about it, if that happened they'd have to get another quarterback in anyway.

Matt77 Posted: 04:40 May23 2019 Post ID: 3448020
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
EDIT - (I'm replying to Warrior, since when I opened the thread you hadn't posted yet)

I get what Dennis is saying. If it was realistic that we could get another strong rookie, then they would be better than Fitz. Unfortunately that wont happen. But it begs the question, that I repeatedly asked, again and again. I know he's not a rookie anymore, but why didn't we go and get Mullens to compete with Rosen? That way there would be competition between Rosen, Mullens, and Fitz to see who wins the starting and backup jobs. 100% Mullens > Fitz. I'm sure you can agree Warrior.

I swear, so many GMs are blind. There are plenty of backup QBs who have more potential than we've seen. Take a punt. No risk = no reward.

« Last edited by Matt77 on May 23rd 2019 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 Posted: 13:58 May23 2019 Post ID: 3448021
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Teams have called the 49ers and asked about both Mullens and Beathard, but the 49ers want to keep both at the moment. Either they aren't sure Garoppolo will be healthy, or they haven't received an offer that has blown them away. I heard a few rumors that the Niners would probably want a First Rounder or Second Rounder for Mullens after the way he performed, and, of course, no team would give them that. Shoot, we just got Rosen for an extremely late Second Rounder in a not-so-deep draft. As for Beathard, I'm sure they would want at least a Third Round for him, since that's what they spent on him less than two years ago. But no team will be willing to give them even that for him, especially since the team seems to play horrible whenever he's in for some reason, to the point where he always gets hurt from poor offensive lineman play.

Add all of this to the fact that the 49ers actually want to keep three QBs on their roster at all times, especially since two of the three have injury history, and that's why no one has been able to get either Mullens or Beathard. Plus, the consensus is still out if Garoppolo can be a franchise QB, as well as if Beathard is anything more than a solid back up, as well as if Mullens is worthy of being a week in and week out starter.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on May 23rd 2019 »
Matt77 Posted: 20:12 May23 2019 Post ID: 3448023
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
If that's what SF are asking for, then I see now why they haven't been able to trade Mullens/Beathard. They both have upside, but I'd say Mullens is worth a 3rd/4th rounder and Beathard a 5th/6th.

Alex Smith threw passes at Washington's first OTA. If he manages to make a recovery, it will be interesting to see what role he plays further down the line.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 01:39 May24 2019 Post ID: 3448024
Sanzano
+
Alex Smith is finished, he will probably see out his contract with Washington as Haskins mentor then retire. The guy has a weak arm and coming back from a major injury plus he is now an old quarterback.

I'm surprised the Patriots haven't come knocking on the 49rs door to enquire about one of their quarterbacks, especially Garapollo. I can't even name you the backup if Brady goes down so he can't be much good.

« Last edited by Sanzano on May 24th 2019 »

Warrior13 Posted: 11:11 May25 2019 Post ID: 3448027
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I agree, Matt. Too high of asking prices. Gotta wait to see what happens with other teams during OTAs and Training Camp. If a QB goes down, Mullens or Beathard might be dealt.

Yeah, Dennis, I agree, Alex Smith is done. The Redskins will keep him for probably another year, but then, if Haskins performs like most expect, they will give Smith his guarantees and cut him. He's older now, and like you said, his arm is extremely limited.

The Patriots, honestly, don't need a backup. They still have crummy Brian Hoyer, plus they drafted two QBs in the last two drafts. In 2018, some LSU QB that will never become anything. But last month, they drafted Jarrett Stidham from Auburn in 4th/5th Round. I don't know if Stidham can become the heir apparent to Brady, but he was a five star recruit coming out of high school like four years ago. He might even have been the #1 High School QB Recruit when he did choose Auburn, but I'm not 100% sure.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on May 25th 2019 »
Matt77 Posted: 23:21 May25 2019 Post ID: 3448028
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Stidham is interesting. I recall that around this time last year Dennis was telling me about the likely top QB prospects for this draft. He mentioned I think 5 QBs. One was Lock, another was Stidham, and the other 3 weren't even drafted. I trust his info, so why did 4/5 of those QBs flop in just one college season?

New England will just recruit a backup or starting QB from another club if Brady goes down. For example, they could recruit Tannehill, Bortles, Mullens, McCarron, Keenum etc. Any backup QB would jump at the opportunity to be a starter in a dynasty team.

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 14:56 May26 2019 Post ID: 3448030
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I'm sure Stidham and Hoyer could hold down the fort if Brady went down. That won't happen though. lol
Sanzano Posted: 01:57 May27 2019 Post ID: 3448032
Sanzano
+
Interestingly Brian Hoyer was an undrafted free agent in 2009. I wonder what Belichick sees in him that every other NFL scount didn't.

I thought the same Matt, this year's top rookies apparently are the following:

Tua Tagovailoa - Alabama
Justin Herbert - Oregon
Jake Fromm - Georgia
K.J. Costello - Stanford
Jacob Eason - Washington

How many of them have a good year and go on to be drafted next April is another story. As things stand this is how they rank at the moment. I'v only heard of the top 3 to be honest. This time last year nobody had heard of Dwayne Haskins so there will likely be a player this year that I haven't listed that gains recognition on the college scene and becomes a first round pick.

Why is everyone crucifying the Giants for taking Daniel Jones instead of Lock or Haskins. The guy hasn't thrown an NFL pass yet. The same thing happened when the Giants took Phil Simms in 1979 with the 7th pick of the draft, he went on to win 2 Super Bowls and should be in the pro football Hall of Fame but if you look at old NFL films of draft day the Giants fans went beserk when it was announced. Apart from Kellen Winslow he turned out to be the best player from that draft year.

Matt77 Posted: 07:38 May27 2019 Post ID: 3448033
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Like you say, the top 3 I have only heard of, and it's those 3 which are the reason this coming draft is a big one for QB-needy teams. It sounds like it's a foregone conclusion that Tua, Herbert, and Fromm will all be 1st rounders. What is interesting though, is that there are very few teams that need a new starter. Cincy may. Tampa Bay may. Detroit may. Miami may. Pittsburgh may. But there are no definite teams. Tua, Herbert and Fromm seem like 1st rounders, but teams may be able to pick them up as late 1st rounders or 2nd rounders instead.

Everyone is (rightly) criticising NY Giants because they selected the 4th best QB in the draft when Haskins and Lock were still available (and one of them would've been available at pick 17 too). Jones will likely succeed in the NFL and have a career as an average to above average QB, but his ceiling is very low. He has limited arm talent, and for a guy who doesn't throw too many deep passes, his completion percentage should be much higher than what it was in college.

I like to compare this to how everyone including myself were criticising Cleveland for going with Mayfield at #1. Yes a lot of people were wrong about him and he proved that he was by far the best QB in the draft, but he had a lot of positives and a very high ceiling. He proved that he could perform at that high level. For Jones to prove people wrong, he's going to have to develop new strengths to his game, otherwise he will never get close to being elite (as a #6 pick should end up being).

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 09:08 May27 2019 Post ID: 3448035
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Keep an eye out for Nate Stanley (Iowa) too. Todd McShay, an expert NFL Draft Guy, has him going in the first round next year to the Chargers. Stanley was actually his top ranked QB in the 2019 Draft before the beginning of the last season. Dude has a big arm and reminds a lot of people of Big Ben. Unfortunately, he needs to improve his accuracy and escapablilty. It also didn't help that he injured his throwing hand thumb midway through the season last year, making his accuracy even worse. Will be interesting to see how he does this year without Fant and Hockenson.

If Stanley can produce and improve without those great Tight Ends, he might asset himself in the conversation with Tua (if he decides to leave school after this year), Herbert and Fromm.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on May 27th 2019 »
Sanzano Posted: 01:46 May28 2019 Post ID: 3448037
Sanzano
+
Unless Rosen fails spectacularly I don't think the Dolphins will concern themselves too much with the quarterbacks coming out of college. Dolphins management have obviously seen something in Rosen they like and to be honest from the NFL gameplay I have seen from last year he has all the tools to be a an elite quarterback.

People keep forgetting he was one of four quarterbacks who were touted as the best group coming out of college siince 1983, a draft which had John Elway (Round 1, Colts), Jim Kelly (Round 1, Bills), Tony Eason (Round 1, Patriots), Ken O'Brien (Round 1, Jets), Dan Marino (Round 1, Dolphins).

I even rememeber at the time of the 2018 draft the scouts saying that there was nobody in the 2019 class that compares to any of them and that it was a weak class. I still think the Cardinals have screwed up getting rid of Rosen. He is the next Steve Young, an elite quarterback who went to a team who didn't know how to use him.

Not sure I like Haskins wearing number 7. That's Joe Theisman's number, that's like Josh Rosen wearing number 13 for the Dolphins. Anyone know if the Dolphins have retired that number?, if it's not it should be.

Matt77 Posted: 02:19 May28 2019 Post ID: 3448038
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
That '83 draft is insane. I don't know much at all of the past NFL history, but even I know how famous those names are. I still think the 2018 QBs are unproven, and no-where near that unbelievable class.. Mayfield had a great rookie season, but everyone seems to be assuming that he will be a guaranteed MVP winner one day. There will be a heap of pressure on Cleveland next season. Darnold was shocking in the middle part of his rookie campaign, and everyone seems to forget that horror period. He is still unproven. And Buffalo fans seem to believe that Allen is a god and destined to lead them to the Superbowl one day. They forget that he is horribly inaccurate and prone to brain-fades that lead to INTs. I still think Allen will become a backup QB in a few years.

I seem to remember that Haskins mentioned he would call Theisman and ask for permission. Obviously he realises the significance of the no. 7. Do NFL clubs usually continue on with famous numbers? In Australia it is very common and a sign of respect if you are given a famous number.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 04:37 May28 2019 Post ID: 3448039
Sanzano
+
If a player is really famous in the NFL their jersey is retired out of respect. Here are some players you will know:

Jim Kelly
Walter Peyton
Barry Sanders
Reggie White
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Lawrence Taylor
Jerry Rice

You should be able to look at the name above and their number will instantly enter your head (it does mine).

What you have to remember with that crop of quarterbacks is they were not apart from Dan Marino overnight successes. John Elway had a nightmare start, he was hopeless and Jim Kelly started off in the USFL which was sub NFL standard. Give Rosen a couple of years and I can't see why he cannot be an elite player, like I said before, I've seen game film and he has the tools, he just needs a team that believes in him.

Warrior13 Posted: 17:08 May30 2019 Post ID: 3448043
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I read somewhere that Mahomes thinks he can throw the ball 100 yards when in Mexico this season due to the high altitude. What are your guy's thoughts?
Displaying Page 156 of 461
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | ... | 459 | 460 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close