Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

NFL - Discussion Thread

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 267 of 462
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | ... | 460 | 461 | Last     Previous | Next
steelersrock01 Posted: 10:53 Feb18 2021 Post ID: 3453392
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Wentz official traded to the Colts for a third round pick and a conditional second round pick in 2022. The conditional second-rounder in 2022 becomes a first-rounder if Wentz plays 75 percent of the snaps or 70 percent and the Colts make the playoffs. About what I expected. And if Wentz manages to play 75% of the snaps or the Colts make the playoffs they'll be happy giving up a first round pick because that means Wentz was good enough to play.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Warrior13 Posted: 11:35 Feb18 2021 Post ID: 3453393
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
And the first domino falls!

Honestly, I'm surprised the Colts went after Wentz and not Darnold, but I get it. They have the coach connection. I would've went after Darnold because of the smaller cap hit, lesser trade demand, and age, but that's just me. I don't like them giving up a first for the dude though. If it was me, I would've done two 2nds. Apparently, the Colts like the prospects in this draft more than next year. If Rivers can lead the Colts to the playoffs, I'd have to imagine Wentz can do the same. I'm wondering if they will bring back Brissett or go after another proven backup like Mullens, Winston, or Beathard. I would think they would just because Wentz has had a history of getting banged up.

I have no idea what happens now in the QB landscape. I doubt the Bears want Darnold, so it will definitely be interesting. I'd have to think the Saints at least call for Darnold. If Wentz goes for a third and a basically a first, I'd have to think the Jets could at least get a 2nd and a 3rd for Darnold. Saints have a good OL, a superstar WR, and a great RB, which would help Darnold. Plus, he has a small hit this year against the cap which they so desperately need.
steelersrock01 Posted: 21:57 Feb18 2021 Post ID: 3453395
steelersrock01
+
Darnold to the Saints is interesting - they definitely have the personnel for him to start hitting his potential. I have a feeling they'll be trying to roll with Taysom Hill for whatever reason. They gave him that kinda goofy extension, and I think they're gonna try to bring Winston back cheap, though I think he'll be going elsewhere.
Warrior13 Posted: 22:18 Feb18 2021 Post ID: 3453396
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I like Hill, but I do not think he is really starting qb material. I cannot see him leading them deep into the playoffs. Now Winston in another story. Well, if he has learned not to be a pick machine anyway.
steelersrock01 Posted: 09:55 Feb19 2021 Post ID: 3453397
steelersrock01
+
I like Hill too as a special teams/trick play/jack of all trades "athlete" but not as a QB.
Warrior13 Posted: 11:39 Feb19 2021 Post ID: 3453398
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I think the Saints have the same feelings. Why else would they have brought in Bridgewater and Winston?
Warrior13 Posted: 14:18 Feb19 2021 Post ID: 3453400
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Carolina has released a slew of players in the last few days, and now have close to 30 million in cap space. Clearly they are going to make a run a Watson if he becomes available. If they can deal McCaffery, Bridgewater and three 1sts for him, I think they would actually net another 20 million since Watson only hits at 15 million this year while Bridgewater and McCaffery account for 35 million together. They will need all the extra cap as possible considering Watson will cause a hit of 40 million the following year.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Feb 19th 2021 »
Warrior13 Posted: 17:59 Feb19 2021 Post ID: 3453402
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Bridgewater has now unfollowed the Panthers and made his account private on Twitter.

Where there's smoke...?
steelersrock01 Posted: 09:51 Feb20 2021 Post ID: 3453404
steelersrock01
+
Panthers also converted some of their center's salary into a signing bonus and created another $5M in cap space. They have the room to be really aggressive.

If I'm Houston and that offer is real I think I take it and flip Bridgewater for a second(?) round pick - I'd take him as a bridge on the Steelers if the talks about them not wanting Ben back are true.

Also flip Mccaffery, I think someone would give a first for him. Now as Houston you've restocked a lot of your lost draft capital and can be bad this year and get a top pick and then you can start building around a QB. They need to cut their losses with Watson and realize that going 5-11 or 7-9 isn't going to help them. The team needs a whole new culture.
Warrior13 Posted: 12:00 Feb20 2021 Post ID: 3453405
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I don't think they would get a second for Bridgewater, especially with his twenty million hit. I'd have to think they could flip him for a fourth rounder, maybe a third rounder if the Saints what him back.

Someone would easily give up a first for McCaffery. If I was the Jags, I would draft Lawrence #1 and then trade #25 for McCaffery. He would be a huge help as he adjusts to the speed of the NFL.
Sanzano Posted: 15:46 Feb20 2021 Post ID: 3453406
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
Lol, the Eagles basically gave Wentz away, that tells me they feel he is psychologically damaged beyond repair and just wanted him off their books. The Colts could have probably got him for just a second round pick if the had of haggled, Wentz told the Eagles he would not play for Chicago and nobody else was interested.

I wonder if Washington will persue Teddy Bridgewater, they were inquiring about him last year and he is not happy at Carolina now that they have made it known they want Deshaun Watson. I still don?t think Watson will be traded, I think the Texans will play hardball with him and let him sit, they?ve got everything to lose letting Watson go.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Feb 20th 2021 »

Warrior13 Posted: 17:55 Feb20 2021 Post ID: 3453407
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I think Watson will eventually be traded. But I think the Texans want the other QB chips to fall in hopes of driving up the price. It's already going to cost a lot after Stafford went for two 1sts and a 3rd.
steelersrock01 Posted: 18:30 Feb20 2021 Post ID: 3453411
steelersrock01
+
McCaffery to the Jags is interesting but they've also got James Robinson on a dirt cheap rookie contract. Plus I've got a soft spot for Ryquell Armstead who missed this whole year from really bad Covid complications. I used to work with his aunt and they're a really nice family. He's from my hometown lol.
Matt77 Posted: 20:00 Feb20 2021 Post ID: 3453414
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
I just read that when 2024 arrives, it will have been 7 consecutive years since LA Rams had made a 1st round selection. That's unbelievable. Carolina need to be careful not to give up too much for Watson. Yes he's arguably a top 5 QB, but it's going to hurt the rest of the team to bring him in.

Jacksonville shouldn't trade for McCaffery. Robinson rushed for over 1,000 yards in a 1-15 team. He has huge upside, and no serious injury history.

I'm not sure what New Orleans are doing with Winston. He was brought in to be the backup QB, but they promoted Taysom Hill instead. They're either working closely with him to try and privately improve his technique and decision-making, or they'll release him in the coming months. If he can cut down his INTs (big if), he'd be an above average QB, and far better than Hill.

The Wentz trade suits everyone. I think it's very likely that the clause is met, so a 1st rounder and 3rd rounder is good for Philly, and Indy get a competent QB. I'm expecting Wentz to have a good season now that he's back working with Frank Reich. He clearly has talent, and I'm not really sure why he regressed. We'll find out the answer to that question next season.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
steelersrock01 Posted: 20:39 Feb20 2021 Post ID: 3453416
steelersrock01
+
Winston is currently a free agent, btw. His contract with NO was only a 1 year minimum deal.

There's a few reasons Wentz hasn't been able to replicate his best season or even 2019's decent one, and some of them are his fault and others aren't. For one, they've been pretty terrible at surrounding him with talent. They brought in Desean Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey who have been mostly hurt and unproductive. Marquise Goodwin, who had a couple good years in SF, opted out last year. They've been terrible at drafting receivers - they took JJ Arceiga-Whiteside and Jalen Reagor when they could've drafted DK Metcalf and Justin Jefferson, respectively. The offensive line, while not as bad as people say, was still banged up and not great. Zach Ertz - usually a top-5 TE, was very unproductive this year and dealt with trade rumors.

As for Wentz specifically, he was actually pretty good in 2019 and I thought he was finally getting out of Nick Foles's shadow. He signed a massive extension. And then they went and drafted a QB in the second round. So now Jalen Hurts was breathing down his neck and as stated above he had less weapons around him. Carson Wentz's greatest strength has always been making plays with his mobility, running around in the backfield and holding the ball for a long time to make a play (check his fumbling stats - he has had a career long issue with fumbling because he often takes a sack instead of throwing the ball away). In the offseason Wentz gained some weight, about 20 pounds, and it clearly affected his mobility. He was slower in the pocket and had a lot of trouble getting away from rushing defensive linemen that he would've evaded in prior years. This, along with the weaker offensive line, forced him to take more sacks and thus fumble more, and also to make riskier throws to bottom-tier receivers.

Then they started putting Jalen Hurts in and he had some more limited success and I think it really screwed Wentz mentally. I don't think he's ever been right mentally since Foles came in and won the Super Bowl. I think he was finally getting there in 2019 when he dragged the team to the playoffs but then they drafted a QB really messed with him. You could tell watching the games that he just wasn't with it, his mechanics were awful.

Add these to the fact that he was apparently not well liked in the locker room and butted heads with the coach, and the front office clearly didn't believe in him to win in the playoffs. If he was the Eagles starting QB this upcoming season and there are fans in the seats they would boo him out of the stadium and that would mess with him even more.

It was time for both him and the team to move on. I think he will be decent with the Colts, and he should be comfortable under Frank Reich. They have a much stronger and more flexible roster than Philly but also have a huge weakness at receiver with TY Hilton probably gone. The expectation there is that they'll make the playoffs, but Wentz's play will be a huge factor. The only other QB they have on the roster is Jacob Eason, a 4th round pick who doesn't really project as an NFL quality player. They'll be bringing in a backup, whether it be Winston or Mariota or someone else, but the starting job is Wentz's to lose with his contract/

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on Feb 20th 2021 »
Matt77 Posted: 02:11 Feb21 2021 Post ID: 3453418
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
If you're talking about his mobility, it's likely that after his ACL injury, his mobility was affected. It happens a lot in sports with ACL injuries. For his sake he better hope it's the extra weight.

Dennis - Lol I see that you continued tipping on the website. According to it, you won the competition xD

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Warrior13 Posted: 05:51 Feb21 2021 Post ID: 3453422
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Reports of Miami being interested in Watson if available. Yep, let's ruin everything we have going for us.
steelersrock01 Posted: 09:59 Feb21 2021 Post ID: 3453423
steelersrock01
+
No, it wasn't the ACL. He recovered from that and was perfectly mobile in 2019. He specifically gained weight(up to 240 pounds from 215-220) and at this level that kind of weight gain can really mess you up if you're just a bit slower. He's not fat, it's muscle, but heavier still generally = slower.

Of course he might have an issue with the ACL wearing out but with medicine nowadays you see a lot of young guys recover fully or come back stronger even from these ligament issues. See Adrian Peterson, Laquon Treadwell, and Tom Brady in the NFL, and Paul George, Buster Posey, and now Kevin Durant in other sports.

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on Feb 21st 2021 »
Sanzano Posted: 12:11 Feb21 2021 Post ID: 3453425
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
If Miami go for Watson there needs to be a third party involved because the Texans have already stated they are not interested in Tua. The Dolphins will literally need to find a team that will give them a 1st round pick for Tua and I don?t think that will happen as Tua?s limitations have already been exposed.

I still don?t think Watson will leave the Texans this season, it?s literally giving your best player and face of the franchise away to another team to succeed. NFL owners will get worried if he can easily the Texans without facing any hardship as it will set a precedent.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Feb 21st 2021 »

Warrior13 Posted: 12:22 Feb21 2021 Post ID: 3453427
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I would get rid of Watson now if I were the Texans. It's only going to come to the point of him saying he'll retire if you don't trade him, so you might as well trade him now while the demand is high. Someone is going to give you at least three 1st and a "superstar". They might be able to get a fourth 1st is they negotiate well enough, as well as a fifth 1st if they trade said included superstar. Just get it done.
Displaying Page 267 of 462
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | ... | 460 | 461 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close