Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Mobile
go

NFL - Discussion Thread

Search for a game or topic
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 293 of 296
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | Last     Previous | Next
Warrior13 Posted: 11:45 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454525
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,052
+
They are stuck with Tannehill for at least two more years since he has guaranteed money through 2022 Season.

They aren't going anywhere so it's irrelevant. They will be a playoff team for the next two or three years, never going too deep since they will always run into the Bills, Browns, Raven or Chiefs (and Broncos if they trade for Rodgers).
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
steelersrock01 Posted: 13:01 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454528
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 160
+
I think it's a decent trade for both teams, really. Atlanta wasn't keeping Julio in any case, they needed to dump his contract just to have enough cap space to sign the rookies they just drafted. And clearly nobody was interested in giving up a first round pick for him, considering he deals with nagging injuries, doesn't practice, and is 32. I think Atlanta got all they could for him. I think the reality nowadays is that a guy like this just isn't worth a 1st round pick especially with that contract. His reputation at this point is much stronger than his actual play, but he'll definitely be a fan favorite and is an upgrade at least on paper.

Corey Davis is okay, but he's never been anything more than a #2 and had his best season last year in a contract year which is always a little concerning. Hard to say if they let him walk specifically to make room for Jones or if the Jets just outbid them. I don't think he's going to match last years numbers on the Jets though.

Dennis - Tannehill has been a Top 8-10 QB since joining the Titans and signed a 4 year extension last year, and the way it's structured it's basically impossible to get rid of him until after the 2022 season. So they'll be keeping him for sure at least these next 2 seasons.

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on Jun 7th 2021 »
Warrior13 Posted: 14:40 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454529
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Davis pit up close to 1k yards and 5 TDs last year. Is +300 yards and +<5 TDs going to make the Titans any better? Will it even be the difference in a key matchup? I do not see it. I still have them second in the AFC South as do most of those in the knowledgeable section of the media.

I would have saved the picks and drafted to players that would likely make the roster in the coming years.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Jun 7th 2021 »
steelersrock01 Posted: 16:09 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454530
steelersrock01
+
Hard to say. Is Davis gonna put up 1k yards again, or is it going to be closer to 600-700? I'm kinda with you - I think Julio's ceiling at this point is 1k yards, 8 TDs. He's probably worth what Davis is getting paid, def not worth his current contract. I don't think this trade really moves the needle for them. I think Julio would've been able to make a bigger impact on a team like Baltimore. But I also don't think Tennessee is really giving up much. A late second and a late fourth, basically crapshoots anyway. Appeasing AJ Brown as he approaches his contract extension is likely worth those, he's going to be the true #1.
Warrior13 Posted: 19:06 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454531
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Julio is overpaid and will likely be WR2 with Brown in his prime. Is a WR2 worth 20+ million, a 2nd and a 4th? I would have kept Davis or drafted a guy on Day 2 of this past draft. That would have saved them 10-15 million and the additional picks.
steelersrock01 Posted: 20:26 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454532
steelersrock01
+
Agreed, really. But Brown was putting a ton of public pressure to go and get Julio. And these days that kind of thing actually holds a lot of weight if we're going to assume that Brown is going to the key offensive piece for them going into his second contract. Player empowerment isn't anywhere near the level of the NBA but it's slowly getting there.

Over in the NBA Damian Lillard just said that he'll have to think "about his future" going into next season after the Blazers just got eliminated. This a year after he signed a supermax extension worth 140M fully guaranteed, for an average salary of 44M a year. Contracts for stars essentially mean nothing in the NBA these days.

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on Jun 7th 2021 »
Sanzano Posted: 05:09 Jun08 2021 Post ID: 3454537
Sanzano
Post Likes: 74
+
I don't get it, how comes if Tannenhill is a top 8-10 quarterback the Dolphins got rid of him. If he's that good Miami should have stuck with him and built the team around him. At the moment until he does something Tua is not even a top 25 quarterback in the NFL.

Dwayne Haskins is making strides in Pittsburgh, have the Steelers found their guy? Even big Ben thinks he is the guy who is going to take over his mantle when he retires.

steelersrock01 Posted: 09:22 Jun08 2021 Post ID: 3454540
steelersrock01
+
He was not that good in Miami and had some injury issues. It was time for both teams to move on. Then I guess the combo of a new team and having Derrick Henry to rely on as probably the best running back in the league has really helped him. Any QB will look a lot better when you have a RB behind you that can run for 150 yards a game. Similar to Kirk Cousins with Dalvin Cook.
Warrior13 Posted: 10:00 Jun08 2021 Post ID: 3454544
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Tannehill still is not Top 10 anyway. He played his tail off to take Mariotas job, but last year was more to his usual playing self. Dude is going to make a quarter of a billion dollars for being your run of the mill starter.
steelersrock01 Posted: 10:42 Jun08 2021 Post ID: 3454550
steelersrock01
+
He has a case for top 10, I think. But he's also in a position where you could probably replace him with 15 other guys in the league and get basically the same results.
Warrior13 Posted: 13:00 Jun08 2021 Post ID: 3454552
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I do not have him in the Top 10. Top 15, yes, but not Top 10. Depending how good the last two QB Draft Classes turn out to be, he could quickly fall to Top 20. He is just an average starting QB.
Matt77 Posted: 00:52 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454555
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 273
+
Dennis - Tannehill's performance was a combination of the expectation of being a top 10 pick, inconsistent performances, and no team being built around him. Then when he had a very good season in 2016/17 (leading us into a position to make playoffs), he tore his ACL and missed the rest of the season, plus the entire 2017/18 season. When he came back he had lost his form, and the team had regressed.

At Tennessee it was a chance to start fresh, and like Warrior said, he had to fight for the starting job. Also, Tennessee have a competent team with a strong offense and decent o-line (better than Miami's ever was).

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Sanzano Posted: 05:59 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454565
Sanzano
+
Looks like Aaron Rogers is serious about not playing for the Packers, he didn't show up for manadatory training camp.

Did DeShaun Watson turn up? He has not been convicted of anything yet so technically he is innocent.

I saw a program yesterday that the NFL will protect their brand and BAN players that bring it into disrepute. I didn't realise there is a whole list of banned players that got kicked out of the league for one reason or another, these include PEDs, cocaine, and murder. Would they add Watson to the list if found guilty or do they make an exception because he is a talented quarterback?

steelersrock01 Posted: 09:08 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454567
steelersrock01
+
Haven't heard anything about Watson. I assume he's laying low and trying to stay out of the public eye.

I don't think Watson would be outright banned. Ray Lewis got to keep playing. Tyreek Hill continues to play. Antonio Brown plays. Ray Rice was blacklisted. The consequences depend entirely on the skill of the player and how much negative public attention it gets. If the NFL banned every player with legal issues there wouldn't be enough players for a league.
Warrior13 Posted: 10:01 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454570
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Matt: And now he is the same old Tannehill.

Dennis: His civil trials will not begin until February 2022 at the earliest. He still wants out of Houston, so I doubt he will show up for training camp.
Sanzano Posted: 13:56 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454573
Sanzano
+
So technically he can still play this season, he's still an innocent man until then. What happens if he doesn't turn up for the Texans? He has put himself in a bad position. I would have thought it would be in his best interests to continue playing football right up to the trial as if nothing had happened.

Cristiano Ronaldo the soccer player who got accused of rape last year still plays even though it is all over the papers in Europe and it doesn't look good for him because the evidence against him is overwhelming. Ronaldo just continues playing for Juventus as if nothing happened even though the accuser wants 56 million euros from him. Why can't DeShaun Watson do the same?

Warrior13 Posted: 14:15 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454575
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I do not understand why they have not traded yet. The NFL will not suspend until trial is over to prevent interference with that, so he will be able to play this entire year at bare minimum. I would be willing to bet he settles out of court and admits to unintentional wrongdoing while seeking counseling if the Texans trade him.

Very few landing spots now, and those that make sense come with a big if. Dolphins if they do not believe in Tua? Steelers if they want to turn on Big Ben? Broncos if they cannot get Rodgers? Raiders if the want risk the consistency they have with Carr? Redskins if they are willing to take on the potential backlash? Giants if they want to admit fault with Jones? Eagles if they want to go back on their word to Hurt? Saints if they want the largest QB Room in the NFL?

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Jun 9th 2021 »
steelersrock01 Posted: 15:46 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454578
steelersrock01
+
They aren't trading because no team is going to give up anywhere close to what he is worth unless they know he is going to play again, and most teams don't have the cap space. Everyone is firmly in what and see mode.

The Steelers have no way at all to afford him until Ben is off the books.
Warrior13 Posted: 17:56 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454580
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
If they don't trade him now and get what they can for him, there is the chance they get nothing for him if he ultimately doesn't play this year and then is suspended after it for a prolong amount of time. It only makes sense to trade him now and cut his losses, even if that means barely getting anything for him.

That's why I said they would have to turn on Big Ben. He would be traded to the Texans to end his career. Like I said, BIG if for all of those teams.
steelersrock01 Posted: 18:52 Jun09 2021 Post ID: 3454583
steelersrock01
+
Really, really, really doubt that happens. Their thinking is probably more along the lines of him missing this year and being able to have him as their star QB with a fresh image and the team rebuilding. But the Texans are a mess so who knows. Hard to say what anyone would give up at this point.
Displaying Page 293 of 296
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close