Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

World Cup 2018

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 3 of 6

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Last     Previous | Next
Matt77 Posted: 07:13 Jun26 2018 Post ID: 3444884
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
I'm not sure which teams play which in the R16 and beyond, so I won't make predictions yet until I know. But I really think Belgium are better than everyone thinks.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sanzano Posted: 07:37 Jun26 2018 Post ID: 3444886
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
Believe me I am not underestimating Belgium, I'm familiar with most of their players as I see them week in and week out in the English Football League. The midfielder Kevin De Bruyne for example was in the running for the World Player of the Year award.

Matt77 Posted: 23:26 Jun26 2018 Post ID: 3444893
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Well, Australia did badly to lose 0-2 to a Peru team playing for pride. Still, Denmark drew France 0-0, so Australia couldn't have made it anyway.

Argentina are another team that could pull out a win in the WC. They were facing elimination at 1-1 with Nigeria but scored in the 89th minute. Now they're into the R16 and play an under-performing French team.

Uruguay v Portugal
Spain v Russia
France v Argentina
Croatia v Denmark

These are the first of the R16 matches. Croatia are the real dark horse of this side. Got 9 points with wins against Nigeria (2-0), Argentina (3-0) and Iceland (2-1). Uruguay have been going well enough too, and capped off with a huge 3-0 win over Russia to finish also with 9pts.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Sanzano Posted: 01:34 Jun27 2018 Post ID: 3444894
Sanzano
+
Another dodgey result like the Spanish one the other night. Nigeria should have had a penalty to bring the score back to 2-2 but for some reason the referee didn't give it. It was clearly hand ball, they showed the incident from several angles and it was plain to see that it hit the Argentinean defenders hand inside the box. The referee stopped the game and had a look at the replay and carried on with the game, what was he watching? I have this horrible feeling the big name teams in the tournament are always going to get the nod in those situations because the Russian organisers don't want to lose the 'glamour' teams from the tournament.

No matches of interest today. It should be a formality for Mexico, Germany, Brazil, and Switzerland to win or at least get a draw.

A couple of interesting games in the next round though, not sure who's going to win between Uruguay and Portugal. I have a feeling it's going to be Uruguay with Suarez doing the damage. Spain should beat Russia comfortably, France will edge a win against Argentina in a closely contested game that may go down to penalties and Croatia will make short work of Denmark.

Uruguay v Portugal
Spain v Russia
France v Argentina
Croatia v Denmark

« Last edited by Sanzano on Jun 27th 2018 »

Matt77 Posted: 04:08 Jun27 2018 Post ID: 3444895
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Fair point. Russia as a country is beyond corrupt, so I doubt the WC is any different.

Then again, it could just be a huge blunder. In Australia's soccer competition's grand final, the winners won 1-0 and the goal they scored included 3 offside players. The technology in soccer is just dreadful.

I have Uruguay, Spain, Argentina, & Croatia winning.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 04:36 Jun27 2018 Post ID: 3444896
Sanzano
+
Argentina beating France? That would be classified as an upset, the French team is loaded with superstars. I'd like to see that happen as I feel England have a better chance against Argentina than they do against France.

England played France last year and lost 3-2, to be honest they looked outclassed in every positon so it was a fair result. You have to take into account even though the scoreline looks close that the French were only playing with 10 men in the second half and Dembele and Mbappe still looked impressive up front for the French. After seeing Argentina against Nigeria yesterday I fancy England to walk away with a 3-1 victory if those two teams meet.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Jun 27th 2018 »

testuser Posted: 05:42 Jun27 2018 Post ID: 3444899
testuser
and then there will be cake.
Post Likes: 194
+
Real shame about Australia. But it wasn't a bad show from them overall in the competition.

Maradona has some explaining to do.

So Argentina survived, lets see if Brazil and Germany make it through today.

If this post is irrelevant to the topic please ignore it.
It may be a test and it may be deleted shortly.

Matt77 Posted: 07:15 Jun27 2018 Post ID: 3444900
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Mexico (who have locked in 1st place in their group) will be hoping that Brazil keep hold of their spot at the top too, otherwise the 2 teams meet next round. Interestingly enough, if it stays the same Brazil & Germany will meet in the R16. There could be some fairytale runs since 2 of France, Argentina, Brazil, & Germany will be out by the quarter finals.

Dennis, Argentina are a bit of a stretch, but too many times in sport I've seen good sides play bad yet somehow sneak through a crucial win and eventually run out winners of it all. Not that they're going to win the world cup, but you have to kick a good team when they're down, otherwise they'll come back even stronger than before. Look at last season in the NFL. New England started really poorly and were 2-2 and had a few more average games afterwards, but several teams missed the opportunity to beat them from winning positions. Next thing you know they're unstoppable and finish off the season 13-1, narrowly losing a SB.

Sweden lead 1-0 over Germany at HT and only needed a draw to put them on the ropes, but conceded 5 minutes into stoppage time to lose.
Nigeria were 1-1 against Argentina and only needed a draw to advance to the R16 themselves, but conceded in the 89th minute.
Tunisia had worked really hard to be in the game at 1-1 against England, but conceded in the 90th minute.

When Mexico miraculously got the lead over Germany, they held on. They did what they had to, and have put Germany in a difficult position in terms of winning the world cup, while it also guaranteed themselves top spot. What they did, too many teams fail to do. They started it, and Sweden had the chance to finish it.

ViolinViolinViolin

MohNaj Posted: 21:53 Jun27 2018 Post ID: 3444902
MohNaj
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 21
+
Predictions for final 4 i the World Cup? I'm going with Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and one other random country, maybe France.
[quote]
Spynxx said: So now the US, and the rest of us are stuck with a giant orange orangutan ooompa loompa in charge.
Matt77 Posted: 22:30 Jun27 2018 Post ID: 3444904
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Well, Mexico won't be there now. Big chance blown. They were holding 0-0 at HT against Sweden, but lost 0-3!?!? Then Germany & South Korea were 0-0 entering stoppage time! AND SOUTH KOREA SCORED! TWICE! Germany are eliminated from the world cup, and Sweden top the group when I thought Mexico had it locked in!

Uruguay v Portugal
Spain v Russia
France v Argentina
Croatia v Denmark

Sweden v Switzerland
Brazil v Mexico

For my first time following a world cup, it's been a pretty good one! I found it funny that after the Germany team mocked Sweden after winning in stoppage time, they got scored against twice in stoppage time against South Korea of all teams. Now Sweden are top and Germany are bottom, and eliminated! Karma is real.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 01:35 Jun28 2018 Post ID: 3444907
Sanzano
+
This is turning into a great World Cup, I can't believe Germany have been eliminated at this stage, and by South Korea of all teams. The German team are heading home in disgrace by their standards, and the German are going mad demanding answers, they want to know what went wrong, why did the team underperform. I didn't see that scenario coming, made my day yesterday. Mind you thinking about it we shouldn't be too surprised really as Germany have always had issues advancing in Russia.

Brazil against Mexico in the next round, that's a tricky one to predict. The two teams met in the last World Cup in 2014 and the match was a 0-0 draw. Sweden vs Switzerland doesn't interest me, whoever wins that game will get eliminated the next round anyway.

I see Romelu Lukaku is not playing today in the England vs. Belgium game. Apparently he's 'one day away from being match fit' whatever that means. Sounds like the Belgiums are saving their top striker for their next match as they along with England are through to the next stage anyway.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Jun 28th 2018 »

Matt77 Posted: 02:16 Jun28 2018 Post ID: 3444908
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
If the 'one day away' thing is true, it essentially means he isn't fit enough to play, but if the game was tomorrow instead he would be. Seems to me like it's just a fake excuse to tank, although playing 3 matches within a bit over a week is tough.

Don't write off Sweden just yet. Write off Switzerland yes (they drew against Costa Rica), but Sweden beat South Korea & Mexico (who Germany failed to beat), and lost in heartbreaking fashion against Germany after being in a good position. They're also the only team that beat Mexico, while the other teams couldn't even share the points. Once a team gets belief it doesn't matter if they don't have quality, they can be pretty dangerous. Not sure if you follow the EPL but Burnley have one of the weaker lists in the league and were in a relegation battle, before the next season they stunned Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 3-2 to ignite their season and start a run that got them to 7th position and into Europe! It was their confidence and solid game plan that got them the points, not half a dozen star players.

The above is why this world cup is anyone's game. With Germany gone it's opened it right up, meaning one of Sweden and Switzerland will be in the quarter finals, and one of France and Argentina will be knocked out in the R16.

Uruguay v Portugal
France v Argentina

Brazil v Mexico
Belgium* v Colombia*

--------------------------

Spain v Russia
Croatia v Denmark

Sweden v Switzerland
Japan* v England*

If results go the way I think they will this is how the pool looks. I see why Belgium want to tank; the bottom section is so soft.

Uruguay v Argentina
Brazil v Belgium

Spain v Croatia
Sweden v England

There would then be a huge opportunity for England to go on a very good run.

Argentina v Belgium

Spain v England

Belgium v Spain

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 02:43 Jun28 2018 Post ID: 3444909
Sanzano
+
Belgium v Spain is a good call Matt, that's basically what I've come down to. A couple of different winners in the knockout stages but still the same two teams in the final. Belgium and Spain easily two of the most talented teams in the tournament, they've both got superstars in every position. I have maybe France knocking out Belgium in the semi-final but on current form I have to agree with you and say Belgium will get the win.

England could be the dark horses though, I think lack of experience will let them down when it comes to the knockout stages but if Harry Kane keeps scoring anything is possible, like you say the team will get more and more confident with each win and if they start to genuinely believe they can win the tournament they will be hard to derail.

testuser Posted: 03:43 Jun28 2018 Post ID: 3444910
testuser
+
Wow - germany. Well played to South Korea. I thought for most of the match that they just didn't quite know how to score despite playing really well and then bam... bye bye germany.

England will beat Belgium later.

Sanzano Posted: 08:10 Jun28 2018 Post ID: 3444913
Sanzano
+
I think you're right Mark, Belgium are resting their star player who has been scoring the majority of their goals so it looks like they are not going for the win. You can't blame them, why injure their best player in a game which gives them a tough route to the final if they win. Problem now is the whole world is expecting Harry Kane to score a couple of goals and if he doesn't he'll be accused of not trying, Belgium now have their excuse if they underperform.

I take England winning tonight 2-1 but if Romelu Lukaku was playing and it was an elimination match I take Belgium winning it 3-1. Just wondering is it possible for these two to meet again in the tournament?

MohNaj Posted: 17:05 Jun28 2018 Post ID: 3444915
MohNaj
Forum GuestMember
+
Harry Kane is the only thing keeping England alive right now. Switzerland's goalkeeper is the most consistent player on that whole team. The man's a beast. I'm happy Germany is out, but I wanted to see them go against Russia.
Mexico was my underdog team, and here they go disappointing. :'(

Brazil is doing all right, hope they get better tho.
Argentina is finally starting to pick up some steam, waiting to see if they can beat France. If they do, might actually have them being something to worry about. If they dont tho...well, no surprise there.
[quote]
Spynxx said: So now the US, and the rest of us are stuck with a giant orange orangutan ooompa loompa in charge.
Matt77 Posted: 21:49 Jun28 2018 Post ID: 3444925
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Both teams rested their key players, and Belgium lost 1-0 (well they technically won 1-0, but the win is a loss in the context of their cup hopes). Now England face a test against Colombia, but if they win they face Sweden or Switzerland in the quarter finals. Belgium get Japan which should be easy, but then get Brazil/Mexico in the quarters, and then Argentina/France/Uruguay/Portugal in the semis.

Belgium and England can meet again; in the final. If they do I'll take a 3-1 win from Belgium. But like Moh said, England aren't that good outside of Kane. I mean, they snuck past Tunisia 2-1 with Kane scoring all their goals. I see little chance they make it.

Own Goal scored again last night for Panama. He's doing surprisingly well this tournament. If he scores in a big game like a semi final it could be huge.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 01:48 Jun29 2018 Post ID: 3444927
Sanzano
+
Last night's England vs Belgium game was a farce, I thought FIFA said if either team doesn't try to win they will be deducted points. England made eight changes from the Panama game, how can that possibly be their best team and as soon as I saw Jamie Vardy on the team sheet I just knew they weren't going to score. Belgium weren't much better, I saw at least three of their star players on the bench sitting alongside Romelu Lakaku who was officially 'injured'.

As for the game itself, it was basically a friendly. Neither team wanted to score a goal. I had to laugh when the camera went to the Belgium sideline immediately after they scored that great goal. You'd think they would be jumping up and down with delight, no, they were giving each other sly side glances and rolling their eyes.

So England now have Columbia which won't be easy and then either Switzerland or Denmark before either Spain or Croatia I would have thought. Belgium have Japan before a tough schedule kicks in. To be honest Belgium don't need to fear anyone, there's nobody out there who are clearly better.

It's looking like a Spain Vs Belgium final

testuser Posted: 15:24 Jun29 2018 Post ID: 3444933
testuser
+
England game was dull. I skipped most of it.
Oh well. should be some better games coming up this week.

MohNaj Posted: 14:46 Jun30 2018 Post ID: 3444938
MohNaj
Forum GuestMember
+
lets hope
[quote]
Displaying Page 3 of 6

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close