Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Roger Federer retires

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 11 of 28
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | 26 | 27 | Last     Previous | Next
Sanzano Posted: 17:40 Jun03 2021 Post ID: 3454475
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
I'm surprised Nadal is still playing at a high level as I remember him having problem s with his knees a few years back. Roger Federer must be about 50 now, I remember him when I was about 25 beating Pete Sampras and I'm 52 now. Serena Williams is the GOAT if women's tennis. I'm not a fan, I liked Maria Sharapova even though aside from her Wimbledon win did badly against Serena.

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Warrior13 Posted: 19:17 Jun03 2021 Post ID: 3454476
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Believe it or not, Federer isn't turning 40 until August. Crazy when you actually think about how long he has been relevant. He'll probably never win another Grand Slam again though, and it's likely both Nadal and Djokovic will surpass his all time Grand Slams record.

Until Serena has the most Women's Grand Slams, I won't say she's the best ever. It's the only excuse I have at this point since I don't care for her. lol

My God... Maria Sharapova had to have been the hottest woman alive for a good five years when she was younger...
Matt77 Posted: 02:07 Jun04 2021 Post ID: 3454479
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
The draws keep collapsing even more. Comical how random the French Open is.

Mens:
Monfils (14)
Karatsev (24)
Basilashvili (28)
Fritz (30)

Womens:
Barty (1) (retired injured)
Pliskova (9)

------------------------------------------------------------

Warrior - Start following Paula Badosa. She is a Sharapova-lookalike, and plays a similar gamestyle to her. Given the collapsing draw, she is the favourite to reach the semi final from her section of the draw.

Sanzano - I'll list the top 10 of mens and womens tennis, plus all former Grand Slam champions still playing: (7 GS winners in ATP, 16 in the WTA)
Mens:

1. Djokovic

2. Medvedev (young Russian who has lost 2 GS finals. Is poor on clay and grass)

3. Nadal

4. Thiem (Austrian has won 1 GS and lost 3 other GS finals)

5. Tsitsipas (young Greek who has featured in zero GS finals, but has huge potential. Most well-known now for coming from 2 sets to love down to beat Nadal in this year's Aus Open)

6. Zverev (young German who choked in his only GS final appearance. He lead 2 sets to love, and served for the match at 5-3 in the 5th set, but lost)

7. Rublev (young Russian who is just a slight bit below his above peers, but still has good potential)

8. Federer

9. Berrettini (overranked Italian, but is still good, and has a huge serve and forehand)

10. Bautista Agut (horribly overranked Spaniad, and has had an awful 2021. Has no weapons at all, but is great in long rallies)

28. Wawrinka (Swiss player who won 3 GSs during Novak's best years)

44. Cilic (Croatian player who won 1 GS in 2014 by thrashing Federer in the semis in a huge upset)

122. Murray

501. Del Potro

Other young players with potential - Shapavalov (14), Auger-Aliassime (21), Sinner (23), Mussetti (65), Alcaraz (78, 18yrs old)

Womens:

1. Barty (Australian who has won 1 GS, 1 Year-End Championship, and a few other big titles. Has arguably the best slice since Steffi Graf, and also has the best serve in the game despite being quite short. Has also won 1 doubles GS and made 5 other doubles GS finals)

2. Osaka (Japanese player (although grew up in the US) who has won 4/4 GS finals she's played in. Is clutch and a big-time player. However, she is awful on clay and grass. Although in the past 9 months she has been in the news for other reasons. She said stuff about BLM back last year, withdrew from a tournament as a boycott, re-entered it after the tournament stopped play, withdrew from her next match anyway, withdrew from a warmup event semi final this year, and has now boycotted press conferences at the French Open, resulting in her eventual withdrawal from the tournament for mental health reasons)

3. Halep (Romanian who has won 2 GSs and made 3 other GS finals (losing all of them in 3 sets). Is most well-known for destroying Serena 6-2 6-2 in less than an hour in the 2019 Wimbledon final)

4. Sabalenka (Belarussian player who hasn't even made a GS QF, but is by far the best player in tennis outside of GS events. Has also won 2 doubles GSs and been #1 in doubles)

5. Kenin (American who has won 1 GS and made another final as well)

6. Svitolina (Ukranian who always chokes in grand slams, including a famous occasion where she choked a 6-1 5-1 lead over Halep in the French Open QFs. Is good outside of GS events though)

7. Andreescu (young Canadian who has won 1 GS and several big titles already, but is horrible injury prone and the WTA version of Del Potro. Is a big-time player)

8. Serena

9. Swiatek (young Polish player who has won 1 GS. Famously won the 2020 French Open by never dropping more than 5 games in a match. Is the current red-hot favourite for the 2021 French)

10. Pliskova (Czech player who has made 1 GS final (choking a 3-1 3rd set lead). Is similar to Svitolina where she throws away good chances. Has dropped off a cliff this year)

11. Kvitova (Czech player who has won Wimbledons twice, and played 1 other GS final. In 2016 an intruder broke into her apartment with a knife, and while protecting herself her playing hand got slashed and she needed surgery to repare nerves and tendons. She was given a 25% chance of being able to play tennis again. Yet she's been able to come back, and made the 2019 Aus Open final)

13. Muguruza (Spaniad who has won 2 GSs and played in 2 other GS finals)

16. Azarenka (Very well-known Belurussian who has won 2 GSs and made 3 other GS finals. Played a lot of her career while Serena and Sharapova were at their peaks too)

25. Kerber (German who has won 3 GSs and made another GS final. Is most well-known for her huge upset win over Serena in the 2016 Aus Open final, where she won in 3 sets. She also beat Serena again at Wimbledon in 2018. She had one of the best seasons of recent memory in 2016. She won the Aus Open and the US Open, was runner up at Wimbledon to Serena, won a silver medal at the Olympics, and was runner up at the Year End Championships)

39. Kuznetsova (Veteran Russian who has won 2 GSs)

42. Ostapenko (Latvian who fluked the 2017 French Open title. She has done very little ever since)

78. Stephens (American who has won 1 GS and made the final of another (which she choked a set and break lead in). Has been struggling with form for a very long time)

103. Venus (yes, she is STILL playing at almost 41yrs old)

146. Stosur (Veteran Australian who has won 1 GS and made the final of another. Famously thrashed Serena in the 2011 US Open final in one of the biggest upsets of that decade)

Other young players with potential - Rybakina (20), Cori 'Coco' Gauff (21, 17yrs old), Badosa (33), Vondrousova (44), Fernandez (64, 18yrs old), Kostyuk (75, 18yrs old), Tauson (91, 18yrs old)

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 4th 2021 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Matt77 Posted: 02:14 Jun04 2021 Post ID: 3454480
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
I pity anyone who bothers to read everything I posted above xD

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 Posted: 11:05 Jun04 2021 Post ID: 3454483
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Paula's not bad, but she's no young Maria Sharapova. Seriously. Look up what Maria looked like late teens / early twenties.
Matt77 Posted: 22:37 Jun04 2021 Post ID: 3454487
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
I guess when you compare her with younger Sharapova there is more difference. But you're not going to find someone who looks as much like Sharapova for a while. Take what you can get imo xD

Speaking of Badosa, she saved a match point in the 2nd set, but came back to win. Emulating Sharapova, perhaps? Cool

Yesterday's casualties:

Mens:
Rudd (15)
Fognini (27)

Womens:
Sabalenka (3)
Keys (23)

Not as many upsets, but that's mainly down to the fact that seeds are already out. Sabalenka losing is a huge upset, and means that Serena has to be the favourite to make the final. Her path to the final is:
R4 - Rybakina (21) (dangerous opponent, but has poor movement)
QF - Azarenka (15) or Pavlyuchenkova (31) (has made many QFs, but never made a SF)
SF - Vondrousova (20) (2019 finalist, but in average form), Badosa (33) (dangerous, but inexperienced), Cirstea (consistently average player), or Zidansek (not many weapons, and inexperienced)

I am no Serena fan, but really need her to at minimum match Court's record. Given her age and Osaka's hard court dominance, this and Wimbledon are really Serena's last chances.

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 23:03 Jun04 2021 Post ID: 3454488
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
No, Sharapova or nothing at all! :P
Sanzano Posted: 01:47 Jun05 2021 Post ID: 3454489
Sanzano
+
Thanks Matt, I read every word. I don't think we'll see another Sharapova for a while. This Badosa girl is just another Kournakova, a decent player with looks who will never win a Grand Slam.

That Kitova story sounds interesting, I wonder how long it is before Hollywood makes a movie about it with Margot Robbie.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Jun 5th 2021 »

Warrior13 Posted: 04:55 Jun05 2021 Post ID: 3454492
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I doubt we will ever see another Sharapova. Once in a lifetime.
Sanzano Posted: 18:15 Jun05 2021 Post ID: 3454498
Sanzano
+
I collected autographed trading cards of Maria Sharapova when she burst on the scene in 2003 as an unknown 17 year old. Little did I realise at the time she would become a multiple Grand Slam champion and those cards now regularly get sold on Ebay for $500 plus dollars each. One particular card I have which is #1/25 and is autographed and has two square pieces of material cut from clothing she wore when she won Wimbledon is worth over $2000.I have to love Sharapova, she has made me a fair bit of money.

Warrior13 Posted: 20:07 Jun05 2021 Post ID: 3454500
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
She's the gift that keeps on giving. ;)

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Jun 5th 2021 »
Matt77 Posted: 00:47 Jun06 2021 Post ID: 3454502
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Dennis - Wow, that's neat! You got lucky with what player you chose!

The Kvitova story is quite amazing and sad at the same time. She says she doesn't think she'll be able to trust men ever again. But she's probably the most liked player on the tour. Have a look for her at Wimbledon. She should enter the tournament as one of the top 3 favourites, as grass is her best surface (she has won Wimbledon twice).

Warrior - I now realise part of the reason you don't like Serena, is that she always mopped the floor with your fave after 2004 xD

No real upsets on the mens side. Novak, Rafa & Roger all won. Roger battled through in 4 tight sets though. I think Berrettini, who is in good form now, will beat him.

For the women, once again there were upsets:
Svitolina (5) (flopped once again)
Brady (13) (retired injured after losing the 1st set)
Muchova (18) (my dark horse prediction)

Since we've reached the second week, these are the remaining draws:

Mens:

Zverev (6) v Nishikori

Davidovich Fokina v Delbonis

Tsitsipas (5) v Carreno Busta (12)

Medvedev (2) v Garin (22)

------------------------------------------------

Djokovic (1) v Musetti

Federer (8) v Berrettini (9)

Nadal (3) v Sinner (18)

Schwartzman (10) v Struff

Womens:

Williams (7) v Rybakina (21)

Azarenka (15) v Pavlyuchenkova (31)

Zidansek v Cirstea

Vondrousova (20) v Badosa (33)

------------------------------------------------

Gauff (24) v Jabeur (25)

Stephens v Krejcikova

Kenin (4) v Sakkari (17)

Swiatek (8) v Kostyuk

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 02:50 Jun06 2021 Post ID: 3454505
Sanzano
+
I chose Maria Sharapova initially because of her looks and her interesting story. She had to leave her mother behind in Russia and come to the USA to fullfil her dream of becoming a Tennis pro. Her father worked as a waiter in Miami to pay for her Tennis lessons. When I first saw her on TV I thought she could go places despite her awkwardness running around the court and it was amazing watching her as a young kid beat Serena Williams at Wimbledon in 2003. I was an even bigger fan after that. I went out and brought a signed Prince racket the model she used for her win to put in my room alongside my other sporting memorabilia.I didn't realise at the time it would be an investment.

I'll be cheering for Nadal at Wimbledon and anybody but Serena, if not for her Sharapova would have won as lot more Grand Slams and my cards and racket would have increased even more in value.

Warrior13 Posted: 06:29 Jun06 2021 Post ID: 3454506
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
My dislike of Serena has nothing to do with her dominance over Sharapova. It goes way beyond that.
Sanzano Posted: 14:31 Jun06 2021 Post ID: 3454513
Sanzano
+
I have seen a couple of well documented incidents involving Serena Williams that in my book didn't paint her in a good light. I don"t like her either to be honest, I always root for her opponent whenever she plays.

Matt77 Posted: 01:34 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454516
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Warrior - I know, was just being cheeky.

Serena is out! Arguably her 2nd last chance ever to win a GS goes begging, and she had the perfect opportunity. Before her match 15th and 20th seeds Azarenka and Vondrousova were eliminated. Rybakina is good, but she shouldn't be winning 6-3 7-5.

Roger also withdrew from the tournament due to fatigue and body management. Morally a poor decision, but logically the right one. He's played 3 matches and 11 sets here as a good warmup for the grass season. He will now play a grass warmup tournament, and then arguably his last ever chance to win a GS.

Zverev d Nishikori 6-4 6-1 6-1

Davidovich Fokina d Delbonis 6-4 6-4 4-6 6-4

Tsitsipas d Carreno Busta 6-3 6-2 7-5

Medvedev d Garin 6-2 6-1 7-5

--------------------------------------------------------

Rybakina d Williams 6-3 7-5

Pavlyuchenkova d Azarenka 5-7 6-3 6-2

Zidansek d Cirstea 7-6 6-1

Badosa d Vondrousova 6-4 3-6 6-2

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 06:10 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454518
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I'm happy.
Sanzano Posted: 09:51 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454521
Sanzano
+
Lol, 'Roger also withdrew from the tournament due to fatigue and body management'.

That's a polite way of saying Federer had to quit because he was an old man whose body will no longer cash in the cheques his brain writes.

Like Warrior13, I'm also glad...

Warrior13 Posted: 11:55 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454527
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I don't know why Federer even played in the French. He's never going to win another at the French as long as both Nadal and Novak are around. Federer's best shot is at Wimbledon, but he'll never be favored again.
Matt77 Posted: 22:39 Jun07 2021 Post ID: 3454533
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Warrior - Federer had played 3 matches all season. A win and a loss in Dubai, and a loss in Geneva a few weeks ago. He was severely underdone, and needed match practice to be ready for Wimbledon. This is evident after Roger withdrew after 3 rounds and 11 sets.

Dennis - Yep, basically. Clay is harder on the body, and grass is the easiest surface on the body. He played a 4-hour, 4 set match late at night in the 3rd round.

Results:

Djokovic d Musetti 6-7 6-7 6-1 6-0 4-0 RET

Berrettini d Federer RET

Nadal d Sinner 7-5 6-3 6-0

Schwartzman d Struff 7-6 6-4 7-5

--------------------------------------------------------

Gauff d Jabeur 6-3 6-1

Krejcikova d Stephens 6-2 6-0

Sakkari d Kenin 6-1 6-3

Swiatek d Kostyuk 6-3 6-4

Novak was in big trouble, down 2 sets to love against Musetti. However Musetti had played a 5 set match 2 days ago, and physically wilted. He even retired to avoid the double bagel, and even admitted after the match that he wasn't injured.

Sinner served for the first set at 5-4, but choked as expected. Rafa's set streak keeps on going. His next opponent Schwartzman will be a true test. In 2019 he lead Rafa by a set and 3-1 before a rain delay allowed Rafa to steady the ship and win in 4.

Defending champion and massive favourite Swiatek also cruised through. She has now won 22 consecutive sets at Roland Garros, and in all her 11 matches has never lost more than 7 games in a match.

Quarterfinals:

Zverev (6) v Davidovich Fokina

Madvedev (2) v Tsitsipas (5)

Djokovic (1) v Berrettini (9)

Nadal (2) v Schwartzman (10)

-----------------------------------------

Rybakina (21) v Paylyuchenkova (31)

Badosa (33) v Zidansek

Gauff (24) v Krejcikova

Swiatek (8) v Sakkari (17)

ViolinViolinViolin

Displaying Page 11 of 28
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | 26 | 27 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close