Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Roger Federer retires

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 13 of 28
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | ... | 26 | 27 | Last     Previous | Next
Matt77 Posted: 01:50 Jun12 2021 Post ID: 3454613
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
.Tsitsipas d Zverev 6-3 6-3 4-6 4-6 6-3.

Gutsy from Stefanos. Randomly collapsed after leading 6-3 6-3 1-0 (had won 7 games in a row) and faced 0-40 3 BPs at the start of the 5th set. Saved them, and immediately broke Zverev. Watching a bit of the match, it was a mess with a mix of high and low quality.

First grand slam final for Tsitsipas.

Djokovic d Nadal 3-6 6-3 7-6 6-2.

Devastating loss, but not completely unexpected. Rafa lost to Rublev and Zverev in warmup events, and the 2 events he won, he had to save match point(s) in.

Rafa saved 2 break points in the first game & Novak had game point in the next, only for Rafa to begin the match 5-0 (and looking very good). But he failed to serve for the set (missed 1 SP), failed to break Novak for the set (missed 1 SP), and scraped a 6-3 set win despite letting a 40-0 lead (3 SPs) almost flip.

I stopped watching then cause it was late, but the warning signs were there. The difference was that last year Rafa bagelled Novak in the first set. This year he allowed Novak to come from 0-5, back to 3-6.

Apparently Rafa missed a set point in the 3rd set too. That is very reminiscent of when Roger missed a set point in the 3rd set of the 2019 Wimbledon final.

Novak will be the huge favourite in the final, and is likely to win the Calendar Grand Slam this year. It would put him on 21 GSs and ahead of Rafa and Roger, and give him the double career slam (Rafa and Roger haven't achieved this, or the Calendar GS). And he's only 34, so he will probably play for another 2 years minimum. That probably equates to at least 4 more GSs, giving him 25 at minimum.

Roger choked Wimbledon 2019
Thiem choked Aus Open 2020
Fritz and Zverev choked Aus Open 2021
Mussetti choked French Open 2021

Warrior, Rafa has entered the final phase of his career. It's where Roger entered after Aus Open 2018. He cannot win the Aus Open. He may possibly win another French, but has lost his invincibility. He cannot win Wimbledon. He cannot win the US Open.

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 12th 2021 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Matt77 Posted: 11:01 Jun12 2021 Post ID: 3454614
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Barbora Krejcikova d Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-1 2-6 6-4.

Was a messy match which wasn't a very high quality, but there have been far worse GS Finals as well. Pav got slightly injured at 1-6 5-2.

Krejcikova rises to world #15 in singles. She is in the doubles final tomorrow, and if she wins that, she will return to #1 in doubles as well. In 2021 she has almost earned the most ranking points out of any player.

If she wins in doubles, she'll be the first player in 21 years to win singles and doubles at the French.

Her path to victory was:
R1: 5-7 6-4 6-2 vs Kr. Pliskova
R2: 6-2 6-3 vs Alexandrova (32)
R3: 6-3 6-2 vs Svitolina (5)
R4: 6-2 6-0 vs Stephens
QF: 7-6 6-3 vs Gauff (24)
SF: 7-5 4-6 9-7 vs Sakkari (17) (saved MP + Sakkari served for the match)
F: 6-1 2-6 6-4 vs Pavlyuchenkova (31)

She's currently on a 12-match winning streak.

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 12th 2021 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Sanzano Posted: 00:56 Jun13 2021 Post ID: 3454615
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
Sad to see Nadal lose, I'm not a fan of Djokovic, he always comes across as arrogant, and has no charisma. Easy win for him today, not going to bother watching it, especially with England vs Scotland on in the Euros.

How much would you credit the technology which the latest rackets use on helping these modern greats dominate for so long. The likes of McEnroe and Borg used wooden rackets and Conners used a steel frame. I actually had a Conners racket in the early 80s and it felt heavy and primitive compared to the Prince Shark Hybrid I now use. It's literally worlds apart.

Matt77 Posted: 04:08 Jun13 2021 Post ID: 3454618
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Dennis - Yes he very unlikable. This is a devastating result for the sport.

I'm sure the racquets do make a difference, but the biggest factor is sports science and finding ways to allow players to play deep into their 30s. Roger is 39, Serena is 39, Rafa is 35, and Novak is 34. Stefi Graf retired at age 30 with 22 grand slam titles. Had she played until 35, she would be the GOAT with about 28 grand slams.

Mens final today. Novak is the favourite, but don't be surprised if Tsitsipas wins a set or 2.

Most recent meeting (Rome 2021): Djokovic d Tsitsipas 4-6 7-5 7-5 (Tsitsipas lead 6-4 3-1 before the match was suspended)

Most recent French Open meeting (2020): Djokovic d Tsitsipas 6-3 6-2 5-7 4-6 6-1

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 13th 2021 »

ViolinViolinViolin

Matt77 Posted: 09:24 Jun13 2021 Post ID: 3454619
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Tsitsipas takes the first set 7-6 (8-6). I only saw the tiebreak, but this is insane quality.

Tsitsipas had a set point at 5-4 on Novak's serve, Novak broke for 6-5, Tsitsipas broke straight back and lead 5-2 in the tiebreak, Novak got a 6-5 lead and set point, Tsitsipas saved it with an amazing winner and then took his 2nd chance at 7-6.

EDIT - Tsitsipas wins the 2nd set 6-2 in a dominant display. Novak played pretty poorly in that set. However, he is still the favourite to win today.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 12:03 Jun13 2021 Post ID: 3454620
Sanzano
+
Two sets down!!! All of a sudden I'm looking around the channels for the Roland Garos men's final, I don't know who this Tispitsipis guy is or how to spell his name but if he is capable of beating Djokovic I'll cheer him on.Always nice to see a new face, good for Tennis in general I think. Brings a bit of interest to the sport.

Sounds like Djokovic has taken his foot off the pedal after beating Nadal and was expecting an easy outing.

Looks like Djokovic is going to pull it out of the bag, the other guy is choking under the pressure he is being put under now Djokovic has found his stride. You find that a lot in sports when the underdog meets a legend and is in reach of beating them, they all of a sudden choke.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Jun 13th 2021 »

Warrior13 Posted: 16:54 Jun13 2021 Post ID: 3454621
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Didn't watch the finale, but I wasn't surprised to hear how Novak one. I think this match and year as a whole is very telling: the Big 3 Days are numbered. Nadal and Joker are both starting to get up their in age, and younger guys are starting to take them to the limit. I think this is why Novak's desire to finish with the most majors is at an all time high.

That said, unless Federer can capture some former glory at Wimbledon or Rafa can finally get over his late season woes, Novak should sweep this entire year.
Sanzano Posted: 17:10 Jun13 2021 Post ID: 3454624
Sanzano
+
Djokovic will stroll Wimbledon, I can't see who can stop him. Federer is too old, Nadal is hindered by an injury and the up and coming players choke when they face the legends.

Who are the young guys looking to knock the legends off their mantles and start their own reign. You can count that Tsitsipas guy out, he's a choker. The likes of Becker, Sampras, Agassi, and Federer never collapsed like that on the way up. I remember each of them on the way up had a certain mystique about them which you just knew at the time you were watching greatness in the making.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Jun 13th 2021 »

Matt77 Posted: 22:36 Jun13 2021 Post ID: 3454629
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Disgusting result, as predicted. I did post at 2 sets to love down that Novak was still the favourite, despite the commentators writing him off and saying he was tired (lol). Novak does this all the time. Seems injured/tired, then miraculously plays fine and dominates.

When Tsitsipas got broken in the 3rd set I immediately turned the TV off, cause I knew that was the match over. I didn't think Tsitsipas would choke, but that was a choke. With the way he was playing, he should have won one of the last 3 sets.

Warrior - Novak is going nowhere. It's true that he has slightly declined, but his opponents constantly choke in the biggest matches. He only needs to play at an 8/10 level to win matches against the top players.

The 'Next Gen' have now had 2 players choke a 2 sets to love lead in a GS final. Zverev had a 2 sets to love and a break in the 3rd lead over Thiem (also served for the championship at 5-3 in the 5th), and lost. Tsitsipas had a 2 sets to love lead over Novak, and lost.

Dennis & Warrior - This is why I am preferring the WTA these days. Mens tennis is just too predictable. Novak and Rafa (mainly Novak now) win all the GSs unless they get injured or defaulted. When a GS comes up, I take interest into how the other 126 players are going and who will be a surprise packet, rather than who will actually win the tournament.

ATP has a higher quality and is more entertaining (excluding servebot matches). WTA has more drama and is more interesting.

Also interesting to note, these have been Novak's most recent 'losses' in grand slams:
French 2020 - Lost to Nadal in 3 sets (Rafa played one of his best ever matches)
US 2020 - Was defaulted; arguably unfairly
US 2019 - Retired down 2 sets to love (and was injured)
French 2019 - Lost to Thiem 5-7 in the 5th set of the semis (Thiem is very good on clay)
In the past 3 years, Novak has only legitimately lost 2 matches at grand slams. And they were at the French Open; his weakest slam, to the 2 best clay courters in the game.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 08:59 Jun14 2021 Post ID: 3454630
Sanzano
+
Like you Matt, I prefer watching the WTA, there is more skill. The men's game is just serve and volley, which just gets boring after a while. I'm always on the lookout for the next Sharapova.

That was a horrific collapse Matt by that Notworthapiss guy or however you spell it, for you to switch off the TV you already new the guy was a choker and did not want to be subjected to the agony of watching smug Djokovic come back.

Warrior13 Posted: 20:48 Jun14 2021 Post ID: 3454636
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Matt: I know Novak isn't going anywhere, at least for this year. I have him sweeping this year and finishing with the most. But I think things could get interesting next year as he and Nadal age another year; they aren't going to last forever.

Dennis: There will never be another Sharapova. Too hot.
Sanzano Posted: 17:41 Jun15 2021 Post ID: 3454651
Sanzano
+
Russia produces good looking girls like Sharapova all the time, Just a matter of time before one just so happens to be good at Tennis. Before Sharapova there was Kournakova. I quite liked Gabriella Sabatinu around that time as well. She was the Argentinean girl who drove around in a red Ferrari Testarosa like the one Tom Selleck had in Magnum PI.

Warrior13 Posted: 11:39 Jun16 2021 Post ID: 3454654
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I do not see another Sharapova coming any time soon. I think she is once in a lifetime.
Sanzano Posted: 13:26 Jun17 2021 Post ID: 3454676
Sanzano
+
We shall see...

I think Wimbledon starts soon. If I remember correctly after Roland Garros it's Beckenham in Kent and then Wimbledon in West London.

Wimbledon is not getting much interest in the UK because of the Euros which is on at the same time. Brits love their football, especially when the tournament is being held in the UK and they have a team that is good enough to win it.

Warrior13 Posted: 14:45 Jun17 2021 Post ID: 3454677
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I hope Nadal or Federer can win Wimbledon, but my money is on Novak.
Sanzano Posted: 00:17 Jun18 2021 Post ID: 3454682
Sanzano
+
Yes, I agree. Tennis desperately needs some new superstars, preferably with names the general public can pronounce otherwise it will decline in interest.

Matt77 Posted: 10:08 Jun18 2021 Post ID: 3454686
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Rafa is OUT of Wimbledon AND the Olympics. He isn't injured, but is resting so that he can focus solely on the US Open (where Novak hasn't had much success). It makes sense, since he won't win Wimbledon and has already won a gold medal in singles.

Thiem is also OUT of the Olympics. He cited that he isn't in a good enough playing condition. Also note, that he skipped Rio 2016 too. And his coach won the singles and doubles gold medals for Chile in 2004!

Naomi Osaka is also OUT of Wimbledon, but will conveniently be back for the Olympics (on hard courts).

Dennis - Yes, I have seen Novak take advantage of too many chokes. That 2019 Wimbledon final is probably the most heartbreaking sporting match I have ever seen. I watched the entire match, seeing Roger come from 2 sets to 1 down and from 2-4 0-30 down in the 5th set, to holding an 8-7 40-15 lead, to throwing it away and also missing a break point at 11-11 40-30. Then I had to watch Thiem (who was dominating Novak) throw away a 2 sets to 1 lead in the 2020 Aus Open final. Then Zverev choked multiple times vs Novak at the 2021 Aus Open (lead 4-1 in the 3rd set at 1 set all). Then Musetti flopped up 2 sets to love in this year's French. Then Tsitsipas flopped up 2 sets to love.

There is a 20yr old Russian named Potapova, who was a junior Wimbledon champion, and plays and screams similar to Sharapova. I've watched her play, and she has boom or bust potential.

Bianca Andreescu (21yr old Canadian) is truly the player the WTA needs. In 2019 she played roughly 8 tournaments only (retiring in about 3 of those), and started the year outside the top 100. She won Indian Wells (very prestigious), Toronto (big tournament), and the US Open. She's feisty, a drama queen, and her matches are compelling. But she is the female version of Del Potro.

Also Dennis, if you prefer players with skill, take a look at Australia's Ash Barty (world #1). She has a very old school game and it is very different to today's ballbashing. If you liked Stefi Graf's slice, you'll like Barty's too.

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 18th 2021 »

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 18:48 Jun18 2021 Post ID: 3454688
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Then I hope Federer or the Field win Wimbledon. XD
Matt77 Posted: 22:40 Jun18 2021 Post ID: 3454692
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
It's going to be a very interesting draw. Medvedev will again be the #2 seed, meaning his side of the draw will be weaker. And Medvedev is poor on grass as well. If Roger can avoid Novak's side of the draw, he has a chance. Thiem is also poor on grass.

ATP contenders (in order):
1. Djokovic
2. Federer
3. Berrettini / Tsitsipas / Zverev / Shapavalov
4. Big servers / random contenders

Novak is the huge favourite. Roger is the 2nd favourite, but I wouldn't be surprised if he lost before R4 either. Berrettini is in good form this year, and his gamestyle works well on grass (huge serve, huge forehand). Tsitsipas and Zverev have decent chances, but have both proven themselves to be chokers. Shapavalov is also in good form, but hasn't had great GS results. Big servers will always be dangerous on grass.

WTA contenders:
1. Any player in the top 50 xD

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 18th 2021 »

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 00:40 Jun19 2021 Post ID: 3454694
Sanzano
+
Matt, Nadal probably pulled out of Wimbledon because he wants to follow the Euros like everybody else here in Spain. There's 0% interest in Tennis in the UK at the moment with the football going on and if he's got a slight Matt, Nadal probably pulled out of Wimbledon because he wants to follow the Euros like everybody else here in Spain. There's 0% interest in Tennis in the UK at the moment with the football going on there and if he's got a slight jury he realizse he's not going to beat Djokovic anyway and at this stage of his career it's all about winning Grand Slams.

I'll keep an eye out for those women you mentioned when Wimbledon starts. Any of them eye candy by any chance, it just makes watching them more interesting.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Jun 19th 2021 »

Displaying Page 13 of 28
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | ... | 26 | 27 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close