Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Roger Federer retires

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 24 of 28
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Last     Previous | Next
Matt77 Posted: 07:57 Jan07 2022 Post ID: 3456815
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Rafa - Wins both matches in his comeback tournament, and now got a rest with his opponent withdrawing in the QF.

Novak - Hasn't played a match since November, and won't be able to play a warmup tournament or train for 3 days.

It's not looking good for Novak. The Australian authorities went and found a female player who also got the same exemption, and have cancelled her visa too. She has withdrawn from all tournaments. Even if he is successful, he won't have any preparation. Huge blow in the race to 21.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sanzano Posted: 08:24 Jan08 2022 Post ID: 3456819
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
Who do you think, all things considered is the best between Federer, Nadal, and Novak at their best? I'd say Federer unless the game was played on clay in which case I think it's Nadal. McEnroe with a modern racquet makes short work of all three unless it's Nadal on clay.

Matt77 Posted: 20:09 Jan08 2022 Post ID: 3456821
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Hard - Novak
Clay - Rafa
Grass - Roger

Highest peak - Rafa (clay)
Most talented - Roger
Most clutch - Novak

I never got to see Roger play at his peak, so it's hard to judge. But from the sounds of it Roger is the most talented, but Novak has superior mentality. Roger is a choker vs high ranked players. Rafa has the highest peak (French Open), but is weaker on other surfaces. Rafa has a singles gold medal, but zero ATP Finals titles (year-end tournament between the top 8 players). Roger and Novak have no singles gold medal, but many ATP Finals titles.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 Posted: 23:12 Jan08 2022 Post ID: 3456824
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Roger is clearly the best overall ever. I would say Rafa is a clear second. Novak is great, but he rose as Rafa was constantly injured and Roger was aging. Nothing he can control, but beating Murray was all he had to do sometimes.

That said, if Novak keeps piling on the titles, it will be hard not to say he is the best ever. Much like Brady.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Jan 8th 2022 »
Sanzano Posted: 03:24 Jan09 2022 Post ID: 3456826
Sanzano
+
No love for Sampras, McEnroe, Borg and the rest of the golden oldies who were the best of their generation? I'd like to see Novak beat McEnroe with a wooden racquet. Novak called him out from the court a little while back and McEnroe came down from the broadcasting booth and embarrassed him. Novak's face was in shock and the organisers quickly put an end to it. You can see it on Youtube, it's worth seeing just to see the expression of Novaks face.

Matt77 Posted: 17:28 Jan10 2022 Post ID: 3456851
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Novak has won his court appearance, and is allowed to stay and play.

He is the big favourite to win the tournament. 21 is coming.

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 18:27 Jan10 2022 Post ID: 3456854
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Dennis: I have Sampras at 4th. Hard to argue with the newer guys when they have so many titles. lol

Matt: Looks like Rafa gonna have to win the old fashion way. ;)
Matt77 Posted: 05:10 Jan11 2022 Post ID: 3456861
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Warrior - Rafa has no chance. He is too rusty. His path to the title last week was as cakewalk as they come, and he didn't look convincing. He is a long way behind Novak, Zverev & Medvedev.

Meanwhile, US Open champion Emma Raducanu was destroyed 0-6 1-6 in her first round match of a warmup tournament. She was playing a good player, but is still a very ugly scoreline.

My picks for the AO are still Novak and Osaka.

ViolinViolinViolin

Sanzano Posted: 14:11 Jan12 2022 Post ID: 3456871
Sanzano
+
Matt, I'm still trying to figure out if the new guys as you call them are that much talented than everyone else or everyone else just so happens to be average in this generation. I can't recall another player being as dominant for so long as those three guys. The only one that had a string of wins worth mentioning was Borg and his 5 French Opens.

Any chance Radacanou wins the Australian Open or is it not her surface?

Matt77 Posted: 04:22 Jan13 2022 Post ID: 3456876
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
If anything, it's the opposite. Guys like Medvedev, Thiem, Zverev, Tsitsipas are good enough to win multiple slams, but the issue is Novak at 3 slams and Rafa at the French. That's also why Andy Murray only won 3 slams despite being one of the best returners in history. He had to deal with peak Roger, Rafa, and Novak.

Raducanu is the underdog in her 1st round match vs 2017 US Open champion Sloane Stephens. I don't see her winning a round, let alone 7. That said, she has played 2 GSs in her career and has made the 4th round (retired injured) and won a tournament.

Naomi Osaka has been put in Ash Barty's quarter of the draw. Hopefully she will be sent packing. She withdrew during a warmup tournament again, because of a fake injury (said she had a tough match physically despite winning 6-1 6-1).

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 14:17 Jan13 2022 Post ID: 3456882
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Matt: If you believe in Rafa, he will win. We need you to believe, Matt. ;)
Matt77 Posted: 08:47 Jan14 2022 Post ID: 3456887
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
I believed Roger could win #21, but he got bagelled in his last set at Wimbledon...

An Australian minister has now cancelled Novak's visa for a second time! He will have to attend another court hearing at 8am tomorrow, and will possibly be held in detention again.

Regardless if whether he wins the outcome, this month has destroyed his PR. He has applied for a fake medical exemption, visited places maskless after testing positive in December, and is an anti-vaxxer. Novak will win the GS battle, but he will never have a legacy close to Roger and Rafa.

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 11:20 Jan14 2022 Post ID: 3456891
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I kind of like Novak more for those same reasons... XD XD XD
Sanzano Posted: 17:36 Jan14 2022 Post ID: 3456892
Sanzano
+
I'm hearing Novak could be facing jail time for his contempt of Covid regulations. That would go down as one of the biggest sports shocks ever.

steelersrock01 Posted: 19:31 Jan14 2022 Post ID: 3456893
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
No shot he faces jail time lol. Australia is just going a little overboard with their draconian nanny state.
Matt77 Posted: 20:20 Jan14 2022 Post ID: 3456894
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
It's purely a political move. People complained that Novak was allowed in the country without being vaccinated, and it would've looked hypocritical. They tried the exemption route, but the court proved it was a 'valid' exemption. So they tried a route which is basically one person saying 'I want him out".

Personally I don't think he should be allowed in, since all other unvaccinated players were banned from entering the country. The circumstances around his convenient positive result are fishy. But if you're looking purely at a legal stance, he applied for an available exemption, and won a court appearance after having his visa cancelled. He should be allowed in from a legal perspective.

I still fully expect Novak to be holding the trophy in 2 weeks time.

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jan 14th 2022 »

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 20:51 Jan14 2022 Post ID: 3456897
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Come on, Matt, we wanna see Rafa win! lol
Sanzano Posted: 09:11 Jan15 2022 Post ID: 3456898
Sanzano
+
I prefer Nadal to win too, Novak is devoid of a personality that endear's you to him.

Matt77 Posted: 08:59 Jan16 2022 Post ID: 3456907
Matt77
The Chosen One
+
Novak has lost his appeal on his second visa cancellation, and is OUT of the Australian Open! He has boarded his flight to Dubai, and play starts tomorrow. It is official. He is out, and will be staying on 20 slams for now!

This is a massive blow for Novak. If he had played, he would've surely won the tournament and taken the lead in the grand slam tally. Now the next slam he will play is the French Open, where (if healthy) Rafa will be the favourite. It was revealed in the 2021 French Open semi final which Rafa lost in 4 tight sets, he was injured most of the match. A healthy Rafa would've won that match. Also, it seems likely that Novak will never play the Australian Open again. He does not want to get vaccinated, and Australia will probably keep this rule for the long-term.

Meanwhile, it is a huge opportunity for the rest of the field, including Rafa. I don't think he can do it, but if everything clicks he has a chance.

My picks are now Alexander Zverev and Naomi Osaka.

ViolinViolinViolin

Warrior13 Posted: 20:05 Jan16 2022 Post ID: 3456915
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I think you mean Rafa and any one but Osaka/Williams, Matt. ;)
Displaying Page 24 of 28
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close