Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

2021 NFL Mock Draft Submissions

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 55 of 86
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | ... | 84 | 85 | Last     Previous | Next
Sanzano Posted: 00:50 Aug10 2021 Post ID: 3455177
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
You'll know when you're 50 when you wake up in the mornings and it's an effort dragging your aching body out of bed. When you're 30 you jump out of bed with a spring in your step looking forward to the day's challenges. It's a real ***** getting old. You never think it's going to happen to you, it just creeps up on you. In my head I'm still 30.

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Warrior13 Posted: 06:05 Aug10 2021 Post ID: 3455180
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Again, I feel 50. You just described me. lol
steelersrock01 Posted: 13:26 Aug10 2021 Post ID: 3455182
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Definitely because school is forced. And I enjoyed all of my schooling, even if I was bored by most of it. Plus school is your only responsibility when you're young. When you've got a bunch of other crap to do things turn from "I want to beat these 3 games and watch this movie this week" to "maybe I'll play this game next month".

Lol, I still feel pretty good in the mornings, My dad is turning 60 though and he's definitely feeling the results of 30 years of physical labor.
Warrior13 Posted: 19:28 Aug10 2021 Post ID: 3455184
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
It is starting to get creepy, Mike. . . My dad is turning 60 soon too. . .

XD

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Aug 11th 2021 »
Sanzano Posted: 06:04 Aug11 2021 Post ID: 3455185
Sanzano
+
You could be right there steelersrock01, I never thought about it like that before. The school summer holidays in particular I remember lasting for what seemed forever, I couldn't wait to get back to school to see my mates. I guess it was because I was bored. If I was a kid now it would be impossible to get bored with the way technology has progressed. All I had back in the 70's was a bike and a football and hoping someone would be around to play with.

You also have to remember that back in those days in the UK, television only had three channels. It wasn-t until the early 80s that a fourth was added, called Channel 4. It was on this channel that obscure stuff was televised. On a Sunday evening at 6pm, there was nothing on TV, nothing that interested me anyway. It was terrible, one of the programs was called 'Songs of Praise' which was basically shot inside an English church with a bunch of people singing bible hymns. On the new Channel 4 there was a program called 'American Football' which was a sport nobody at the time in the UK knew anything about. The first game I saw was Dallas versus Washington, and I was hooked, thanks mainly to the Dallas cheerleaders and some big beast of a guy who played for the Indians who every time was handed the ball would run over the guys with the star on their helmets. The running back was John Riggins and the year was 1982.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Aug 11th 2021 »

Warrior13 Posted: 13:23 Aug11 2021 Post ID: 3455188
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I could not have lived back then. lol
steelersrock01 Posted: 15:25 Aug11 2021 Post ID: 3455189
steelersrock01
+
Lmao, yeah I grew up a lot of technology, but not like they do now. We always had cable but didn't get rid of our dial-up internet until 2007, believe it or not. My parents aren't very tech-forward people.

I think you and I Warrior are really the last generation (early-mid 90s) that didn't have the entire world at our fingertips. My family had a Windows 95 PC forever and I didn't get a smartphone until I was in the middle of high school. Now you go out to dinner and see 3 year old kids with tablets and better phones than I've got. And the crazy thing is that these kids don't know a single thing about all this tech they were born with. Every single thing is so streamlined in an app or whatever that when something goes wrong it's just "broken". No troubleshooting or critical thinking skills whatsoever. Like nobody has any curiosity for how the things they use work. My mom's a teacher's aide and when they were remote this past year I caught some of the lessons being taught and when kids had problems they had no idea how to even begin solving them.
Sanzano Posted: 16:18 Aug11 2021 Post ID: 3455190
Sanzano
+
The changes I have seen the last 45 years is astounding. I agree with you steelersroc01, kids today have no idea. I just get the feeling the advancement of technology in certain sectors is going to be the reason why half the planet is going to end up socially retarded. I can see children getting addicted to their phone and video games and not learning basic communication skills with real people which will cause them problems in the real world as they get older.

TV was limited and video games in the late 70s and early 80s were so primitive compared to now it's laughable. I used to find other ways to entertain myself, two of those ways were reading Marvel comics and drawing the characters. It blows my mind now seeing these comic characters in movies just like I imagined them back in the 70s.

Even cars have drastically changed, my first car in 1987 you had to wind up the windows and pull the radio out and take it with you otherwise you ran the risk of having it stolen. It didn't even have a CD player, it was a tape cassette.

The thought of everybody having a mobile phone in the 80s was science fiction. The first computer I had was something called a ZX Spectrum and the only place you will see one of them now is in a museum.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Aug 11th 2021 »

steelersrock01 Posted: 17:28 Aug11 2021 Post ID: 3455195
steelersrock01
+
Kids are already like that. Some adults too. When I worked in an open office the amount of younger people that would do anything to not talk on the phone is nuts. And I'm sure it's even worse now. Everything is texting and instant messages, which I mostly like. But sometimes a phone call is just so much faster.

Funny enough, my car now still has crank manual windows and doors lol. It's a 2011 Mazda 3 that used to be a rental car. But I don't really drive much and haven't had any issues so it's working fine for now. Eventually I plan on moving to a city where a car just isn't needed.
Warrior13 Posted: 10:21 Aug12 2021 Post ID: 3455200
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I think everyone likes being as impersonal as possible with texting these days. lol

I prefer it as well, but I'm not obsessively texting. I probably send a total of five texts per day on average as I also like doing stuff in person. Don't really care for phone calls because I think my voice doesn't sound like it does in real life. lol
steelersrock01 Posted: 15:44 Aug12 2021 Post ID: 3455204
steelersrock01
+
I don't like doing phone calls either but there were people at work that just wouldn't answer the phone when they were the only person there to get it. Ridiculous.
Warrior13 Posted: 19:48 Aug12 2021 Post ID: 3455206
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Thats crazy. Is it aversion or laziness? lol

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Aug 12th 2021 »
steelersrock01 Posted: 21:37 Aug12 2021 Post ID: 3455208
steelersrock01
+
Fear. For some reason they were just scared of talking on the phone or any kind kind of conflict or anything like that.

I think it's indicative of a bigger problem with mostly young people. Nowadays there's so much virtual stuff that people have forgotten how to talk in real life. Go on any reddit general subreddit and you'll find so many people that are so anxiety-riddled they can't get out of bed.
Sanzano Posted: 23:31 Aug12 2021 Post ID: 3455209
Sanzano
+
That's strange you mention that about the phone. When I started my appeticeship in the print when I was 17 I would literally avoid answering the phone. The thought of talking to clients about job corrections terrified me. Anyway, the boss noticed this one day and made me sit in the office and answer every damn call for a whole day. At the end of the day I felt no anxiety whatsoever when the phone rang.

If I was honest the reason why I didn't answer the phone was because I lacked confidence talking to adults because I didn't have the experience, up until then I only had to talk to people my own age and teachers. It sounds like a lot of kids these days suffer the same problem when they go out into the real world.

steelersrock01 Posted: 10:23 Aug13 2021 Post ID: 3455213
steelersrock01
+
Haha yeah I think that's the only way to get over these types of things - being forced to do. Bet you never had any trouble after that, and probably realized the person on the other end doesn't have any idea what the hell they're doing either.

I haven't seen very many vehicles without power locks and windows either. It's mostly low-end models or rental cars nowadays. Some utility vehicles too, my dad has a pretty new work truck with roll-up windows.
Warrior13 Posted: 13:03 Aug13 2021 Post ID: 3455217
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
steelersrock01 said:I think you and I Warrior are really the last generation (early-mid 90s) that didn't have the entire world at our fingertips. My family had a Windows 95 PC forever and I didn't get a smartphone until I was in the middle of high school. Now you go out to dinner and see 3 year old kids with tablets and better phones than I've got. And the crazy thing is that these kids don't know a single thing about all this tech they were born with. Every single thing is so streamlined in an app or whatever that when something goes wrong it's just "broken". No troubleshooting or critical thinking skills whatsoever. Like nobody has any curiosity for how the things they use work. My mom's a teacher's aide and when they were remote this past year I caught some of the lessons being taught and when kids had problems they had no idea how to even begin solving them.

I didn't get a smart phone until after finishing high school. I didn't see a point in it, but by that time, my siblings said I had to get with the times. And like I said, I still don't use it all that much. The only thing I really use it for is to surf the web and edit stuff in google docs. I don't know much about tech, but my common sense usually sees my parents come to me first with tech issues. I'm not sure why they don't go to my little brother since he's far more techy, but I usually figure an issue out by connecting the dots. Then again, most of my parents tech issues have to do with restart their router or something similar. Taught my dad about the undo button in docs recently, and that officially blew his mind.
steelersrock01 Posted: 13:54 Aug13 2021 Post ID: 3455218
steelersrock01
+
My parents are the same way, teaching my dad copy and paste and how to add an attachment to an email was an experience.
Warrior13 Posted: 14:51 Aug13 2021 Post ID: 3455219
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
lol

And don't get me started with phones. Seems like a daily call from either my mom or dad about something.
Sanzano Posted: 16:26 Aug14 2021 Post ID: 3455224
Sanzano
+
Strangely enough I do not have a mobile phone, I refuse to have one, they cause me nothing but problems. I had a mobile briefly a couple of years back and ended up giving it to my 12 year old son. I got about fifty call's a week and 48 of them were from my wife getting me to do errands after I finished work, the other two calls were wrong numbers.

I'll tell you something else young people don't do any more and that's haggle. They see the price of an item in a shop and just pay it. It's always worth trying to haggle if the item is expensive and you have cash. About ten years ago I saw a TAG Acuracer in a jewellers shop window I quite liked but didn't like the 2K price tag. Anyway I went inside, spoke to the salesman, tried on the watch, told the guy I liked it and asked him if he could give me a better price. I got the price down to 1.6k which was still not what I wanted to pay. The guy tells me he can't go any lower as he would not make anything from the deal. I said, I understand and pulled out 1.4K from my wallet in brand new 50 Euro notes. I told him, that's a shame, we were nearly there. He looked at crispy new notes and I got my watch.

I learn't to haggle from my Dad who always accompanied me when I was younger and wanted to buy a new second hand car. It was comical watching my Dad in action as he ripped the car we were looking at apart, telling the seller it needs a new this or a replacement that, and he wasn't keen on the colour or the car wasn't the exact model he was after. The first time after I forked over the money I said to my Dad on our way home 'why did we buy that car if it had all those things wrong with it?', he just chuckled and said 'Son, you've got to play the game if you want a good deal'. I now know what he means and have since taught my son how to haggle when trading Pokemon cards at school.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Aug 14th 2021 »

steelersrock01 Posted: 22:59 Aug14 2021 Post ID: 3455227
steelersrock01
+
Lmao dude you are spot on with the phone thing. My phone number must've gotten leaked in some data leak somewhere and now I get about 10 texts a day from different conservative politicians begging me to donate. Oddly enough I don't get the phone calls anymore though, only texts.

My dad's a big one for haggling. You guys would get along. Cars especially. Buying a car is like a 3 day experience with him, lol. He just bought a new F250 truck and one of the perks he got out of them was an underbody spray to protect from rust. Well we took it up to the dealership and 2 days later they call and say it's done. My dad brings it home and the next day puts it on the lift to see what they did, and they only coated like half the underbody, didn't even take the spare tire down and spray there. So he calls back and says he's not satisfied and we take it back, the next day they say it's ready. This time he wore work clothes and crawled underneath at the dealership lol. It still wasn't done to his liking but he's tired of riding back and forth.

Cars and furniture and appliances - basically every big ticket item can be haggled. A lot of stores will throw in just about everything, free delivery, extended warranty, manager's discount, if you've got cash or good enough credit. My mom gets a little embarrassed when he presses them a bit but I think it's funny.

I don't buy too many things expensive enough to haggle really but I do love doing it at flea markets. I think you guys call "car boot" sales. Big open air markets where people sell all their junk. A lot of them are just happy to get rid of it and will take anything.

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on Aug 14th 2021 »
Displaying Page 55 of 86
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | ... | 84 | 85 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close