Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Follow the dark path or use the light
Mobile
go

Minnesota Riots

Search for a game or topic
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Matt77 Posted: 22:44 May30 2020 Post ID: 3451098
Matt77
Tua SZN
Post Likes: 272
+
I'm sure you've heard about these riots that have been going on. Things have been brewing for a while with a few incidents of police officers shooting unarmed black men. After George Floyd, they've got out of hand now.

Rioters are smashing windows of businesses, looting supermarkets and small businesses, and throwing stuff at the riot squad. They've become angrier and angrier because it took a while for the officer responsible for Floyd's death to be charged. Not to mention Trump.

Trump began tweeting that the riots shouldn't be happening and that sensible protesting is the only option. It was non-threatening tweeting from him. But the rioters were angry, because they've tried peaceful protests in the past and it hasn't done anything. Then Trump tweeted, spread out over the course of the past few days, the following:

....These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won?t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!

...but nobody came close to breaching the fence. If they had they would have been greeted with the most vicious dogs, and most ominous weapons, I have ever seen. That?s when people would have been really badly hurt, at least. Many Secret Service agents just waiting for action. "We put the young ones on the front line, sir, they love it, and....good practice." As you saw last night, they were very cool & very professional. Never let it get out of hand. Thank you!

So, who is wrong here? Should the protestors/rioters tone down their actions? Are they right to go this far, given that their previous attempts at being heard didn't work? Is Trump right for being so forceful? Should the government do something?

Also interestingly, it was revealed that NFL owners definitely had a political influence for their teams not to sign Colin Kaepernick. Apparently a few teams have been interested over the years, but the owners blocked it. I wonder if all these protests will force NFL owners to cave and eventually sign him. He'd be one of the best backups in the league and could be useful for a contending team.

« Last edited by Matt77 on May 30th 2020 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sanzano Posted: 01:43 Jun01 2020 Post ID: 3451110
Sanzano
Post Likes: 72
+
I saw the same sort of thing in Barcelona recently Matt, the peaceful protestors come out during the day and the looters come out at night. Not sure how this one is going to get resolved...

Matt77 Posted: 07:46 Jun01 2020 Post ID: 3451112
Matt77
Tua SZN
+
I think the only way it gets resolved is if the Democrats win the election. Because Trump has made it clear he won't listen to the protestors' demands. He's instead calling them thugs, and suggesting they will be shot at and attacked by vicious dogs if they continue. He's not going to give them anything, and the protestors aren't going to stop until something is done.

If as I expect Trump wins the election by a large margin, then there is going to be trouble. I'm not trying to bash Trump; I'm simply saying that the two parties of Trump vs Protestors do not like each other.

Worryingly, there are civilians going out and trying to attack protestors, and vice versa. There was a man that brought a crossbow and shot at the protestors 3 times (there is video of him in the middle lane of a busy street), before being interviewed by Fox News saying he was defending his business (there was no business). The protestors also burned his car. There was also an incident where a man ran at protestors with a sword to try and depend his local pub, but then the protestors knocked him over and started kicking at his head, and could have seriously hurt him (or worse).

And all of these riots/protests are going on in a country with 1.1 million active coronavirus cases.

What a mess. If you're reading Warrior, stay safe...

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 1st 2020 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 Posted: 07:47 Jun01 2020 Post ID: 3451113
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,040
+
I wish people would recognize discrimination is not partial to only one race.

Additionally, the officer was arrested and will be charged and sentenced - what more do people want?

Peaceful protests are fine. Taking advantage of a situation by rioting in anarchy in order to benefit one's self is no better than what that officer did to the victim.

An eye for eye will see all parties blind.
Matt77 Posted: 08:02 Jun01 2020 Post ID: 3451116
Matt77
Tua SZN
+
I agree that they are going too far, but they've been trying peaceful protests for years. My best guess is that they want police officers to chance their attitudes and understand that race shouldn't matter. And yes 95% of officers are not racist and are not aggressive. They want to try and get through to that 5%, and hope that the government can do something (I don't know what) to make that happen.

I think this whole situation being combined with Trump probably being the most-hated President ever by Democrats and neutrals, and him refusing to sympathise, makes it 10x worse. Also there was an incident a few weeks ago where an African American man was out jogging and unarmed, and was shot dead by a police officer. I think it was just a build up of everything, and the protestors are lashing out with built-up anger.

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 4th 2020 »

ViolinViolinViolin

Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close