Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Video Games That Changed Your Life

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

darkboarder_77 Posted: 22:46 Mar16 2022 Post ID: 3457404
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
Post Likes: 0
+
Title could mean anything.

It could be the game with most profound story, the game that you just played because you had it, the game you played because you could share it with a friend -- anything. Any games that shifted who you are, disturbed your sense of self, or altered your fulcrum of perspective on life and the world at large for any reason or none at all.

Right now, I'm in Chapter 5 of RDR2, and... man. I feel a little different from two months ago when I started. Something about Arthur Morgan's down-to-earthness, the reality of necessary evils, the fact that sh*t often happens for innocent reasons. It makes you think harder about your own criticisms of others around you.

On a more shallow note, Halo 2 was transformative when I was in middle and high school some 14-15 years back. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were my introduction to FPS games, but Halo 2 made me competitive; more, it made me a glitcher and Easter-egger, and that set a legendary precedent in my little gaming space for all the years until now.

Halo 3 was when I started playing online with friends. That changed a lot for me. I learned how to get along with folks in an online space and play with high sportsmanship. Learned a lot about myself and others through working together and fighting alone. It was glorious.

I want to experience more out there. Tell me about all your transformative experiences in gaming, denizens of SuperCheats.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Warrior13 Posted: 14:08 Mar17 2022 Post ID: 3457410
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Well, Pokemon Red changed my life. Over two decades later, and it's still the only franchise I consistently play.

Pokemon Diamond too. I was starting to grow out of Pokemon the years between 3rd and 4th Gen, but it wrapped me back in. It was also the reason I ultimately found SC; I had to get me a Heracross.

I guess I would also throw in Donkey Kong, the one where you travel in a horizontal line across the screen while picking up items to defeat enemies. Apparently, they had it available at one of the daycares I went to as a child, and it got me into video games. Nintendo 64 later helped that grow.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Mar 17th 2022 »
steelersrock01 Posted: 21:36 Mar17 2022 Post ID: 3457416
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Oh, I've got quite a few. I can't remember the first games I ever played, but Pokemon Red and Blue are the first games I really remember playing. I'm still a Pokemon fan at heart and have a soft spot for turn-based RPGs even now. It's one of my favorite genres. I also think Pokemon is the root of my semi-obsession with collection as a concept, for lack of a better term. To this day I like the concept of collections, I like things with a ton of content. I like long, comprehensive books, I like encyclopedias, I like big chunky worldbuilding books, additional materials around franchises I love - give me the Pokedex book and the Game of Thrones history book, the huge lists and comprehensive history books, the giant coffee table game art books and books reviewing all the best games for each system. I like learning everything I can about whatever subject I happen to be into.

I trace all that back, in a way, to Pokemon. As a kid with, at the time, zero Internet access I didn't know there were 151 Pokemon. Going on new routes and finding new Pokemon all the time was so awesome, and seeing the Pokedex fill up and not really knowing how it would end was an experience for me. Even today while I'm a bit disillusioned with the franchise I still enjoy seeing the new Pokemon introduced and no game series has done as near a good of a job replicating it.

When I was a little bit older, to relate it to SC a bit, I played GTA: San Andreas. And that game had so many cheats that I couldn't remember them, so I had a little binder where I wrote them down or printed them off, and I got them all off of SC. I made my account around that time, also to answer Pokemon questions. GTA is the only game I ever did that with, and nowadays games either don't have cheats or it's faster to just look it up than to write it down. Now I'm more likely to look up a guide for a tricky trophy or achievement, which just doesn't feel the same.

Besides that, Smash Brothers and Mario Kart have had a big effect on me. I've sad it before, but from the time I was a toddler till I was about 12 or 13 my cousin lived next door and he came over every day to play games. And the two series we played the most were those two, hours and hours. Still my two favorite party/local multiplayer games. The trophy feature in Melee and Brawl fed into my "collection" thing too, I would spend hours by myself just going through the trophies and reading their descriptions and all about the games they were from, mostly games I hadn't, and still haven't, played. And I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention the hundreds of hours we spent exploring the worlds of Kingdom Hearts and the 3D Pokemon games, Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. For a short while I also collected the strategy guides they made for these games and I still have maybe a half dozen of them that are nice and well-used.

My parents were and still are very slow on the uptake of new tech, so it wasn't until 2007 that we got broadband internet having had dialup previously. At that same time all my friends in school were playing the MMO Maplestory, and that game also fostered my appreciation for content. Grinding for hours, exploring all the zones. My friends dropped off pretty quick, but I stayed on for a while. Even now I install the game every once in a while and while it doesn't hold much appeal for me now I still love it. And the gorgeous music.

A little more recently, as I was getting done junior high and entering high school Call of Duty 4 was huge for me. It was my first foray into online games and I had a whole group of friends that played every day. When that game came out there was no mute feature, so we met some colorful characters. I met dozens of friends through that game, all but one I've lost touch with, but I'll never forget some of those guys. Also my first time playing a shooter game. We played the games after COD4, but nothing quite caught the same magic of coming home from school, finishing homework as fast as possible and hopping on the game with no other responsibilities. That and Grand Theft Auto 4 freeplay lobbies. We spent so much time making up our own games. GTA 5 online was a big disappointment in that respect.

As I went through high school and my interests developed a bit I got more interested in history and tech I started to delve a bit more into PCs and PC gaming. I bought a physical copy of Civilization 5 in late 2010 at a Walmart, and it had no disk inside, just a code to put into "Steam". And that's when I made my Steam account and gaming on PC has now become about equal to console for me. I love Civilization and strategy games. Then later in college my roommate got me into Grand Strategy games like Crusader Kings, and Crusader Kings 2 might be the game I've played the most individually. It's fostered such a love for history that I had the seeds of before, but playing that game has made them flower. It's not a passion I turned into a career but it has definitely shaped my interests and hobbies, a deep effect on how and what I read, and has turned me on to hobbies like mapmaking and building my own worlds that I don't think I would've been into otherwise.

As an aside, and no specific game, but as I've gotten older I don't like the twitch reaction games much anymore. I've found myself playing a lot more adventure and point-and-click games. I like the mysteries, the stories, the music, the writing is usually a cut above other games. To The Moon is a game I'd recommend to anyone, if you don't like the story or writing that's one thing but that is the game that really showed me what video game music could be. Check out the soundtrack on youtube. And the genre as a whole has really shown me the value of taking a lazy rainy weekend, slowing down, and curling up with a nice cup of hot chocolate listening to the rain and working through a nice slow point and click. In college I was always rushing around, working a job and taking on extra classes, I had a girlfriend and roommates and something was always going on, some party or event or venue we just had to go to. Never a weekend to just stay inside and relax. Since graduation a few years ago I'm much more lonely but also much calmer and easygoing and I think getting into that genre has had a part in that beyond just getting older and growing up.

Those are probably the last games that have really had an effect on me as a person. As I've gotten into my mid-20s I feel like I'm starting to solidify as a person, and most games now are just fun experiences instead of life changing ones. I've written a lot here, and I love games and have been playing them for over 20 years, but when I really think about it I haven't played that many games - at least not the games people usually think of as genre defining and foundational. I've played a few Marios, almost no Zelda, no Metroid or Kirby, I've never finished a Final Fantasy or played a Half Life, never played any Doom or Chrono Trigger or any Sonic game. I've finished one Dragon Quest game. Fighting games are mostly a mystery to me. In many ways I feel like a "fake gamer" - besides the games I've talked about, most of my other gaming experience is in licensed games like the Dragon Ball games or in sports games. A goal for me for the next few years is to go back and play some of those seminal works, at least to give them a try. I was born too late to really enjoy SNES games and much of the PS1 library in their own time, and the majority of my PS2 and Gamecube days were filled with Smash and Kart and DBZ games. Most of my PS3 days were filled with Call of Duty and GTA 4. When I wasn't playing those games or sports with my brother or doing homework I was posting here. There was no time to play the classics. Then I went to college and delved a bit more into PC games, but mostly strategy, so I missed out on all the classic PC games. I still haven't learned to play games with the WASD and mouse layout. I'll always prefer a controller. Now I find myself uninterested in most of the new games coming out, so I'm looking backwards a bit.

I apologize for the essay, but this is a good thread idea and I think there could be a lot to talk about. Nowadays I try to balance my games with more reading, though I still play games for a few hours every week. We need a books/reading thread too. In some ways I enjoy reading about games and the industry and the wider tech world just as much as I actually like playing the games.

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on Mar 17th 2022 »
jose22_1986 Posted: 21:30 Apr11 2022 Post ID: 3457624
jose22_1986
Apparition
+
I'm not gonna write a super long post, but Nier: Automata really managed to take me out of the "game" and was the first time I ever really took a game seriously in that sort of way. Barely a spoiler but a minor spoiler I guess. I remember answering "No" to the question "Are games just silly little things?" but in my head I was thinking "Yes, of course they are, but I'm not going to give up." then I actually finished and changed my mind entirely. Games are not just silly little things. There's a deep value to whatever you put value into.
darkboarder_77 Posted: 02:10 Apr17 2022 Post ID: 3457680
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
jose22_1986 said:I'm not gonna write a super long post, but Nier: Automata really managed to take me out of the "game" and was the first time I ever really took a game seriously in that sort of way. Barely a spoiler but a minor spoiler I guess. I remember answering "No" to the question "Are games just silly little things?" but in my head I was thinking "Yes, of course they are, but I'm not going to give up." then I actually finished and changed my mind entirely. Games are not just silly little things. There's a deep value to whatever you put value into.

Games are not just silly little things.

A group of talented artists came together to make a game. It's a painted picture to them, a canvas with meaning, scrawls with a message. It's just as money is more than paper, dancing is more than movement and music is more than noise.

Art is a constructed, coherent experience, whole in form and entire in delivery. Games are a form of that art.

I consider entertainment to be a form of productivity. Everyone needs to have fun. Games? Both meaningful and productive. They teach us alternative perspectives and help us relax. They tense us up and teach us how to work hard, how to work in a team, how to win. They teach us how to think, how to be three-dimensional, how to see beyond our little worldviews.

They're a priceless addition to life. Without fun, without games, your work efficiency suffers.

Never underestimate what a video game represents. It's not just "fictional sh*t" or "stuff on a screen". Games are a world that our evolved minds can immerse themselves in. You've got this incredible, powerful brain that can holo-project experiences inside your consciousness, and games stroke that capability tenderly.

Nothing silly about'm. They're essential, personally, just as books or movies or writing are to many others. We're humans and should have our intelligence and imaginations dignified as such.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Sanzano Posted: 02:21 Apr17 2022 Post ID: 3457681
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
Video games in general changed my life in a very big way. Seventeen years ago I worked as an Apple Mac Operator in London putting together all sorts of magazines, from the likes of the UK edition of Penthouse, Melody Maker, to boring and tedious titles like Practical Caravan and Runners World. Then, when my brother-in-law, Rich, started SuperCheats it gave me the opportunity to leave London and relocate to Barcelona and work from home there.

darkboarder_77 Posted: 04:09 Apr17 2022 Post ID: 3457684
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
Sanzano said:Video games in general changed my life in a very big way. Seventeen years ago I worked as an Apple Mac Operator in London putting together all sorts of magazines, from the likes of the UK edition of Penthouse, Melody Maker, to boring and tedious titles like Practical Caravan and Runners World. Then, when my brother-in-law, Rich, started SuperCheats it gave me the opportunity to leave London and relocate to Barcelona and work from home there.

This... is super cool to know. Thanks for stopping in, Dennis. You have quite the background.

WhiskeyBob Posted: 05:54 May22 2022 Post ID: 3457974
WhiskeyBob
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 1
+
Completing 2nd time now Gothic 3 with Alternative Balancing mod. And Oblivion IV with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. I've completed both Gothic 3 and TES IV Oblivion, several times each, and each time you can find some other way to level up and find new lore.
Nothing is real.
steelersrock01 Posted: 12:57 May22 2022 Post ID: 3457976
steelersrock01
+
Man, I've heard a ton about the Gothic series and how absolutely immersive they can be, but I've never had the drive to play them for myself. I've played a good amount of Oblivion, but Skyrim was the Elder Scrolls game to really suck me in. I was maybe a tiny bit too you when Oblivion came out, and now that I'm older I just haven't been able to get back to it yet.
Sanzano Posted: 15:55 Jun09 2022 Post ID: 3458197
Sanzano
+
When do you guys think Fortnite will die and be a game of the past, I can't see it slowing down, it's as popular now as it was three years ago.

steelersrock01 Posted: 18:08 Jun09 2022 Post ID: 3458202
steelersrock01
+
I think it's slowing down a bit - but they're doing all the right things to make it last. It's free, they update it constantly with fresh ideas, it's (relatively) kid friendly compared to stuff like Call of Duty.
Sanzano Posted: 01:35 Jul21 2022 Post ID: 3458403
Sanzano
+
Fortnite must make a huge chunk of its profit from the skins it offers daily, my nephew the other week worked it out that my son's account is worth over $500. Over the last four or five years my son has been buying skins of his favorite characters, mainly Marvel and DC when they were offered in the item shop. I was amazed, I didn't think much of these 10$ for VBucks every now and again I gave him to buy a skin.

Volke Posted: 10:10 Aug28 2022 Post ID: 3458518
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
Well, the SuperCheats Forums were a big part of my teenage years, and I can still remember that I originally started posting in the Super Smash Bros. Melee forum, back when the forum pages for popular games used to generate a ton of posts daily. So, I guess Super Smash Bros. Melee changed my life, so to say.

In terms of a grander scale, Final Fantasy VII (the remake was awesome) and Zelda: Ocarina of Time were what really made me appreciate video games as an art form for the first time, way back when. That's in terms of narrative, music, world building etc. Then in 2005, along came Resident Evil 4 to introduced me to the more 'mature' style of games, which are what I primarily play today.
darkboarder_77 Posted: 09:12 Aug27 2023 Post ID: 3459656
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
Volke said:Well, the SuperCheats Forums were a big part of my teenage years, and I can still remember that I originally started posting in the Super Smash Bros. Melee forum, back when the forum pages for popular games used to generate a ton of posts daily. So, I guess Super Smash Bros. Melee changed my life, so to say.

In terms of a grander scale, Final Fantasy VII (the remake was awesome) and Zelda: Ocarina of Time were what really made me appreciate video games as an art form for the first time, way back when. That's in terms of narrative, music, world building etc. Then in 2005, along came Resident Evil 4 to introduced me to the more 'mature' style of games, which are what I primarily play today.

Your taste has taste. I still like you even at 31 in 2023. You picked a fine path in life. Keep going thataway.

On an unrelated note, I remember when you were Cez and "Elemental Extermination" was like your ultimate power in the RP threads. Haha, good times...

Edit: Wait. You were Cez, right? Or were you Nintendo_Dude? What if Cez was Nintendo_Dude? What if Actionshark is Rich? What if Dennis is Elon f*cking Musk? Man, f*ck this wonderful place.

Edit 2: F*ck my life into pieces. You're N_D. Where the f*ck is Cez, then? I thought he came around? Well, while he's not here, let's make fun of his RP sh*t. "Elemental Extermination"? Are you KIDDING me? What a... actually cool name that is. Miss ya, Cez. Thought you were an as*hole in the day, but in hindsight, I'd fokken throw hugs at ya if I ever knew ya.

« Last edited by darkboarder_77 on Aug 27th 2023 »

TerenceFigueroa Posted: 22:56 Sep03 2023 Post ID: 3459668
TerenceFiguero
a
Forum GuestMember
+
Completing 2nd time now Gothic 3 with Alternative Balancing mod. And Oblivion IV with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. I've completed both Gothic 3 and TES IV Oblivion, several times each, and each time you can find some other way to level up and find new lore.
VitalazySensei Posted: 13:00 Sep20 2023 Post ID: 3459726
VitalazySensei
Post Likes: 17
+
If I were to choose a my most influencing game is probably BTD 3.
now adobe flash is not safe, and I can only play BTD 3 in a certain site I won't spoil.
Now I'm a wii player, underrated, ik. But wii is "still and will" but "was" a great console, no, a legendary console.
BTD 7 coming maybe? BTD 5 and 6 need sch'money, but BTD battles 2 is just as good.
Wii rn I'm playing One Piece Unlimited Adventure, SSBB, Kirby's Epic Yarn (only ocasionally), and Zelda games (Only 2 exist, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, both I have).
ViolinViolinViolin
Team SuperCheats Posted: 03:30 Sep26 2023 Post ID: 3459813
Team
SuperCheats
The Chief
Post Likes: 117
+
I guess video games changed my life as I was able to create some websites about them and start a little business about 25 years ago now.

But specifically no one game changed my life. I have great memories of gaming as a kid with my dad on the old Atari 2600! Circus Atari was a pretty cool game.

Then came the Spectrum - Yeah I'm old! Smile That was the first computer many kids my age owned if they were lucky enough to have them. Manic Miner had to be one of the most legendary games on that machine. But almost anything by 'Ultimate - Play the Game' was generally good.

After that I had an Atari ST, my top game on that machine with Bloodwych, a two player dungeon adventure game, much like the original Dungeon Master but for two players. I used to play with a mate, he was great at finding his way around a dungeon but couldn't fight, and I was great at fighting but could not find my way around at all! So we made a great team Smile

Fast Forward to arcades and Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting and Raiden are two games that stick out for me for a number of reasons.
Game Guides Galore - http://www.supercheats.com/guides/
VitalazySensei Posted: 07:43 Sep26 2023 Post ID: 3459817
VitalazySensei
+
Hi Richard, been backtracking it seems to the forums?
Hi I'm new here, but a really active member of SC, I loved the cheats in wii, so I made an account, sadly SC is kinda lonely other then Sanzano Steelersrock01 and Warrior13
I hope SC could still be revived.... :-)
Team SuperCheats Posted: 08:45 Sep26 2023 Post ID: 3459820
Team
SuperCheats
The Chief
Post Likes: 117
+
I hope so too. I'll try to check in more and contribute.
Game Guides Galore - http://www.supercheats.com/guides/
VitalazySensei Posted: 20:22 Sep26 2023 Post ID: 3459833
VitalazySensei
+
Thumbs Up Ok.
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close