Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Favorite Fictional Characters

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Previous | Next
Warrior13 Posted: 21:57 May29 2022 Post ID: 3458053
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Never saw Predator. Aware of what it is, but never cared enough to watch it. Sci-fi and far out fantasies are not my cup of tea.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sanzano Posted: 16:22 May30 2022 Post ID: 3458062
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
You're missiong out Warrior13, the first Predator with Arnold is a classic that can be watched again and again. Aliens, the second movie in the series is also outstanding. As is the first Terminator movie. I though the whole planet had seen those movies.

Warrior13 Posted: 14:27 May31 2022 Post ID: 3458064
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I saw the first Terminator, which was good, but that is all. Never read or seen Predator, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings. Again, far out fantasies don't really do it for me. I'm down for fiction and superheroes stuff, but a limit to those as well.
Sanzano Posted: 16:59 May31 2022 Post ID: 3458073
Sanzano
+
Harry Potter, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings movies bore the hell out of me, I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Marvel and DC movies are starting to bore me now too to be honest. The only one I look forward to seeing is Captain America. The first two movies were great, especially The Winter Soldier.

steelersrock01 Posted: 18:57 May31 2022 Post ID: 3458077
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
I was huge on Harry Potter as a kid, the movies are just okay but good fun. I was the right age for it though. Big Lord of the Rings fan too, those movies are awesome and the books are classic. I never got too into the Marvel stuff. I saw a few of the movies here and there with girlfriends while in college, now there's so many of them and so many TV shows and it's all connected I don't even know where to start. And the humor doesn't really do it for me.
Warrior13 Posted: 20:45 May31 2022 Post ID: 3458083
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Yeah, way too many superhero movies and shows these days. Overkill. I don't know how some people are hooked to the stuff. I can hardly follow one group of movies.
Sanzano Posted: 16:02 Jun01 2022 Post ID: 3458086
Sanzano
+
The super hero bubble will burst soon, too many characters with origins that are too similar. We're getting She-Hulk on Disney soon, and Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) is the new Thor. There's Spider-Gwen in the works and countless others, the public will get bored before long and won't accept these diluted replicas that are geared up for women.

Warrior13 Posted: 11:30 Jun02 2022 Post ID: 3458089
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Way too much superhero stuff. That said, I think most of the public will keep allowing to be spoon-fed the same old, same old. A lot of people don't seem to realize it's basically the same stuff time after time except with a different subtlety or two.
Sanzano Posted: 00:52 Jun03 2022 Post ID: 3458095
Sanzano
+
In regards to Star Wars, I'm enjoying the TV series more than the blockbuster movies. The Mandolorian, The Book of Fett, and now Obi Wan have all been enjoyable to watch.

With the Marvel movies I still prefer the blockbusters but the TV series aren't bad, at least they are trying the more obscure Marvel characters like Moon Knight and She-Hulk. It's just that the rate they are churning them out is saturating the market and making them boring as their origins can get a bit repetitive.

Warrior13 Posted: 13:51 Jun03 2022 Post ID: 3458101
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I have never watched any of the Star Wars. The closest thing that I've come to such is the specials that were on Family Guy. Still too out there for me, plus I think it's rather repetitive. Like the first three movies were literally about defeating the bad guys who somehow keep coming back. lol

The only Superhero Movies that I've ever seen are that of X-Men. Seen them all except Phoenix. They were good, but I'm glad that it appears like they are done. You can only do so much with Superheros.

That said, when I was growing up, I loved watching Justice League, Batman, Batman Beyond, and Teen Titans.
Sanzano Posted: 16:38 Jun03 2022 Post ID: 3458103
Sanzano
+
Warrior13, you must be the only person I know that has not watched a Star Wars movie. I thought the whole planet had seen at least one of those movies. If you have time watch the 1977 Star Wars: A New Hope Episode IV and the 1980 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Episode V. They are both classics everyone should see at least once. The other films are so so.

steelersrock01, the Uncanny X-Men by John Bryne and Chris Claremont are the best crafted comics I have ever read and I have read a few comics in my time being an avid collector when I was younger. The comics I am talking about start at 109 all the way up to 143. Hollywood tried to turn some of the stories into movies but failed dismally. Those comics I mentioned I have in mint conditon (101-143) and they are worth a bit of money now as they are so sought after. A mint condition 9.8 Uncanny X-Men 101 (first appearance of Phoenix) goes for 12K. I'm always wondering how much my copy would go for, it may not be 9.8 but it's not far of.

Did you know that Disney has purchased the rights for the X-Men and Fantastic Four, so you will see them soon in Marvel Universe of movies. Spider-Man was also recently purchased so now Disney have the rights to all the Marvel characters.

Warrior13 Posted: 20:43 Jun03 2022 Post ID: 3458109
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Yeah, Stars Wars has never piqued my interested. I think part of it has to do with the plot, but the other part has to do with it being so popular. For some reason, the mega popular movies and shows usually don't do it for me. Never watched Star Wars, never read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, never seen Stranger Things. I'm very peculiar.

I also don't read comics, though I have started collecting a few #1s in the past year or so. But, again, I'm very picky with which ones I want to collect. So far, I have the two different covers of Injustice #1, the #1 and Special #1 of Super Mario Bros by Valiant, the #1 of Dexter by Marvel (wanting the alternate #1 cover, but it's way expensive), and all eleven Samurai Jack #1 and the Special.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Jun 3rd 2022 »
Sanzano Posted: 13:05 Jun04 2022 Post ID: 3458118
Sanzano
+
Everyone to their own I guess. I hear what you are saying though. Some of these supposedly 'classics' have left me thinking what the fuss was about. The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Harry Potter immediately come to mind. Those movies just didn't draw me in. In fact, I thought they were tedious to be honest.

The blockbuster once every three years Star Wars films are heading that way now too. When I was younger the excitement to see Star Wars: The Empire Strikes back in 1980 and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi in 1983 was unreal. I was only 11 and 14.

steelersrock01 Posted: 17:46 Jun04 2022 Post ID: 3458128
steelersrock01
+
Oversaturation is definitely an issue with all of these. Amazon's Lord of the Rings show is going to be bad. The Fantastic Beasts HP movies are not great. Most of the new Star Wars is bad. These companies milk these huge franchises every time and I can't think of a single one that has been quality all the way through. Not just movies/TV either.
Sanzano Posted: 06:47 Jun05 2022 Post ID: 3458129
Sanzano
+
The problem is all the time they are making money the companies will continue to churn out their content. In the case of Disney, they paid $4.05 billion for Star Wars and another $4 billion for Marvel. That's not including the rights for Spider-man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men. Basically if Disney don't make the super hero genre work thy are in trouble. That is why I believe the first Star Wars movie they made, 2015s Force Awakens: Episode 7 is the exact same story as 1977s Star Wars: A New Hope, Disney played it safe.

steelersrock01 Posted: 10:42 Jun05 2022 Post ID: 3458131
steelersrock01
+
That's true, but Disney has already made their money back, definitely on Marvel and probably on Star Wars. The combined budget costs of all Marvel movies has been roughly 6 billion, plus the 4 billion the brand cost. They've made almost 27 billion at the box office. They're just being risk-averse to an extreme at this point.
Sanzano Posted: 14:26 Jun05 2022 Post ID: 3458135
Sanzano
+
Wow, I didn't realize Disney had made all that money back already. I guess then if it's a case of it's not broke don't fix it. Disney are not going to change a winning formula until enough people say they have had enough and not investing in the product any longer.

steelersrock01 Posted: 19:42 Jun05 2022 Post ID: 3458141
steelersrock01
+
Yeah. I've definitely seen some pushback against some Star Wars stuff and I think people are getting a little tired of Marvel too. Unfortunately it seems like some people think any criticism of these things makes you a racist/bigot whatever instead of just being disappointed by the movie.
Sanzano Posted: 10:19 Jun06 2022 Post ID: 3458142
Sanzano
+
'There are more than 20 million sentient species in the Star Wars galaxy, don?t choose to be a racist,'

This is what the Star Wars account wrote the other day. Apparently Moses Ingram the black actress who plays Reva in Obi Wan has been facing racist abuse from 'fans' that are not happy about her role in the series that is currently being aired on Disney.

I for the life of me don't get it, the Star Wars universe if filled with lots of weird and wonderful aliens of all colors, shapes, and sizes. Why are the Star Wars 'fans' racially abusing a black woman who is playing a role, and from what I have seen she is playing it well. Darth Vader wears black from head to tail and James Earl Jones the actor who does his voice is black, but I don't recall him ever getting any backlash.

steelersrock01 Posted: 21:36 Jun06 2022 Post ID: 3458148
steelersrock01
+
Yeah stuff like that I have no problem with. My issue is when they retcon existing characters by changing their race or gender just to pander to people. Like in the Harry Potter stage play they made Hermione a black woman. In the upcoming Lord of the Rings Amazon show they have black dwarves and hobbits. It makes no sense because the show is a prequel and there are none in the movies, so where did they all go? Likewise in the Amazon Wheel of Time show, the main characters are all different races and colors while in the books a big plot point is that all the characters except for one were born in this backwater village that has been untouched for hundreds of years. So when you have 4 characters that all look wildly different it just ruins entire plot points. Same type of thing when they make historical TV shows and race-swap historical people or make them gay or whatever. On the one hand I really don't care, because it isn't a big deal, but on the other it's frustrating because there's so much African and Asian history and culture they could draw from to make shows where that casting would make sense.
Displaying Page 2 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close