Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Favorite Fictional Characters

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 3 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Previous | Next
Sanzano Posted: 01:31 Jun07 2022 Post ID: 3458149
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
I agree with you steelersrock01, it annoys me too. We are seeing more and more of it. In Marvel alone there is Nick Fury who is supposed to be a white World War II soldier, Marvel are trying to make Captain America black. Johnny Storm (the human torch of the Fantastic Four who is supposed to be Sue Storms sister) is all of a sudden black. Heimdell from Thor, Mary Jane Watson form Spider-man. In DC you have Catwoman. Just a few I can remember of the top of my head. Why don't they create entirely new characters for these black actors to play? I don't have a problem with that. When I see characters like Nick Fury who I remember reading about forty years ago suddenly becoming black it is annoying and trying to turn Captain America into a black Super Hero just ruins the character.

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
steelersrock01 Posted: 17:08 Jun07 2022 Post ID: 3458153
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
That's my issue with it, they always have to "blackwash" existing characters instead of making new original stuff. It's so frustrating. And it's always Black people too. Never Asian or Hispanic. If I was a member of a minority group and constantly saw this stuff I would feel insulted.
Warrior13 Posted: 22:17 Jun07 2022 Post ID: 3458161
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Yeah, I feel the same way. Keep the originals how they are, and just find some creativity with new characters.
Sanzano Posted: 01:27 Jun08 2022 Post ID: 3458164
Sanzano
+
I wonder why they don't do that, there must be some kind of reason for it. And you are right steelersrock01 what you say about it's never the asians or hispanics complaining, it's always the blacks and if you point that out to them you get accused of being racist.

Warrior13 Posted: 14:28 Jun08 2022 Post ID: 3458172
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Yeah, they are lazy and lacking creativity. That is what it boils down to. Otherwise, they would not just slap a new race on an old character and call it a day.
steelersrock01 Posted: 19:39 Jun08 2022 Post ID: 3458178
steelersrock01
+
It's easier to just change existing properties cause they know people will watch it no matter what than it is to come up with new creative stuff that you then have to market and get people to go see. Stuff is so expensive to make now companies play it super safe.
Sanzano Posted: 01:20 Jun09 2022 Post ID: 3458185
Sanzano
+
Lol, when I first read your post Warrior13 about being lazy and lacking creativity I thought you where refering to blacks in general. It was only when I read it again I realised you were refering to the movie studios that produce the films.

Warrior13 Posted: 10:51 Jun10 2022 Post ID: 3458209
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
lol

Yeah, just lazy and lacking creativity in general. Bringing back old shows, repeat movie plots. Bleh.
darkboarder_77 Posted: 00:54 Jul22 2022 Post ID: 3458405
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
Post Likes: 0
+
Oh sh*t, I forgot Delsin Rowe. Damn. Might just categorize him as my third favorite behind Glaceon...
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Sanzano Posted: 15:04 Jul23 2022 Post ID: 3458409
Sanzano
+
I'm not familar with that character, I beleive he is a grafitti artist from the game inFamous.

Anyone heard of Rogue Trooper, a genetic infantryman who carries the dead bio chips of his buddies in his helmet, backpack, and assault rifle?

darkboarder_77 Posted: 03:12 Jul24 2022 Post ID: 3458414
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
Sanzano said:I'm not familar with that character, I beleive he is a grafitti artist from the game inFamous.

Anyone heard of Rogue Trooper, a genetic infantryman who carries the dead bio chips of his buddies in his helmet, backpack, and assault rifle?

Yep. He looks a lot like me, actually, beanie and all. I still wear my roguish style of clothing. I stole some of my mannerisms from him -- the little way he tilts his head and inflects his voice when cutting someone with his words. Ah, I love video games. I just wouldn't be me without this strange agglomeration of characteristics lifted from the people who don't even exist.

As for Rogue Trooper... negatory, sir. Or if I have heard of it, I know nothing of it.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Sanzano Posted: 16:49 Jul24 2022 Post ID: 3458419
Sanzano
+
I'm a bit too old for video games influencing my growing up. That time for me was the late 70s and early 80s in London. The things that mainly influenced me was comics like 2000AD which was delivered by the paper boy to my door every Thursday and music. Music at that time was great, you had the likes of Blondie, ACDC, The Sex Pistols, The Who, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. It was a great time and place to be a kid.

steelersrock01 Posted: 09:47 Jul26 2022 Post ID: 3458423
steelersrock01
+
Comics were definitely not huge for me growing up. Never was a fan. Not so much into music either, not like some people were. It was always games and cartoons for me.
Sanzano Posted: 16:58 Jul26 2022 Post ID: 3458424
Sanzano
+
The games that were coming out during the era you were growing up were half decent steelersrock01. My generation didn't have anything except comics and books and four TV channels to stimulate their imagination.

steelersrock01 Posted: 21:21 Jul26 2022 Post ID: 3458427
steelersrock01
+
Haha you sound like my parents. Yeah, I definitely grew up in a great era for games. Late 90's - mid 2000's culture was a great time to grow up, at least looking back now. Everything seemed so full of soul and heart and creativity, it feels like most games now are just socially engineered junk to siphon as much money as possible from gullible people. I'm sure you feel the same way about things I grew up loving though. I think it's just a fact of life that if you had a happy childhood you'll always look at those times as being better.
Sanzano Posted: 01:09 Jul28 2022 Post ID: 3458432
Sanzano
+
I make you right steelersrock, I didn't think much of the early 90's, the Cowboys dominated the NFL along with the 49rs and everyone was into druggy, trippy music which was just horrible. I was aware that the video game scene was making vast strides but it didn't capture me, I was already too old.

The best years to grow up were the 70s and 80s in my opinion but like you say I'm heavily influenced by nostalgia and a happy childhood.

darkboarder_77 Posted: 06:49 Aug20 2022 Post ID: 3458496
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
I guess Tifa Lockhart needs to be somewhere up there on my list because b r e a s t s.

Volke Posted: 10:27 Aug28 2022 Post ID: 3458519
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
James Bond, Tyrion Lannister, Jill Valentine, Gollum, to name a few.
Volke Posted: 10:32 Aug28 2022 Post ID: 3458520
Volke
Executioner
+
steelersrock01 said:Yeah stuff like that I have no problem with. My issue is when they retcon existing characters by changing their race or gender just to pander to people. Like in the Harry Potter stage play they made Hermione a black woman. In the upcoming Lord of the Rings Amazon show they have black dwarves and hobbits. It makes no sense because the show is a prequel and there are none in the movies, so where did they all go?

Yeah, stuff like this is majorly p!sses me off. And if you say that in public, some tw@t who overhears will choose to yell 'racist!' rather than mind his own business.

I'm not sure if I'll bother with the Lord of the Rings TV show. I wanted to watch Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, not Lord of the Woke: The Rings of Diversity.

Imagine the reaction if Black Panther country had the odd whitey here and there in the tribes. You'd never hear the end of it! That film was only so highly rated because of the whole black thing, anyway (it really is not that great).
Volke Posted: 11:01 Aug28 2022 Post ID: 3458521
Volke
Executioner
+
Sanzano said:I had you down picking Dexter Morgan Warrior13, I didn't know you were a Peter Flemming James Bond fan too.

I read an article the other day that said according to James Bond film rentals Pierce Bronson was the second most popular James Bond after Daniel Craig. I have to disagree, any survey that doesn't put Sean Connery either first or second after Craig is rubbish. I personally preferred Roger Moore to Pierce Bronson who I have coming in fourth place. I didn't think Pierce Bronson was believable to be honest, Sean Connery and Daniel Craig are two guys you wouldn't want to get into a street fight with whereas Pierce Bronson doesn't portray that aura in the slightest, just a pretty boy who was good at talking with a posh English accent.

I actually liked Pierce Brosnan. Not at Connery or Craig's level, but far better than Roger Moore. I'd actually say Roger was the worst of the six 'official' Bonds, including Lazenby and Dalton.
Displaying Page 3 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close