Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

finally its back

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

willgame_4food Posted at: 07:37 Sep29 2005 Post ID: 439111
willgame_4food
Post Likes: 0
+
+
hey peeps, i just got the news read this

Gearing Up for a 'Grand' Return By Steven Mallas
Wed Sep 28, 3:47 PM ET

Take-Two Interactive's (Nasdaq: TTWO - News) Grand Theft Auto video game reeks of controversy. In fact, the company's stock took a beating when Grand Theft Auto got slapped with an "Adults Only" restriction after customers learned to unlock raunchy hidden scenes.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Take-Two is set to move ahead and leave that episode in the past. On Oct. 18, it will release Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Special Edition, rated M for "Mature," for Sony's (NYSE: SNE - News) PlayStation 2 -- with a couple of extras. Not that kind of extra, though. One of the bonuses is a prefatory piece that covers the goings-on before the story arc of the game begins. (Previous prefaces had been released on a CD soundtrack relating to the game). The other is a documentary called Sunday Driver, which will also be released for Sony's PlayStation Portable in that device's proprietary UMD format. This piece, centering on a low-rider car club from California called The Majestics, aims to take the "Rockstar brand into film." Rockstar Games is the Take-Two label that gives us the Grand Theft Auto franchise.

Shareholders were not happy with Take-Two's blunder on the latest Grand Theft Auto game. Yet as Nathan Alderman pointed out, you have to consider the publicity angle of the whole debacle. Not only does labeling something as taboo automatically cause kids to want something even more than before (or even want something they never wanted in the first place), but it also advertises the brand to a clientele that might not even have heard of it otherwise. I'm sure there will be a lot of adults new to the edgy universe of Grand Theft Auto come Oct. 18.

And that should help Take-Two breathe new life into San Andreas and sell lots of units. The holiday season is going to be competitive and challenging for software companies, especially since it will segue into the next console cycle with the dawn of the new Xbox. Take-Two is probably looking forward to having its ace in the hole fresh off the summer hype and ready for Christmas.

So, with the special edition of San Andreas set to hit stores in a few weeks, Take-Two stock might see a recovery. I prefer other stocks in this area, like Motley Fool Stock Advisor recommendations Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS - News) and Activision (NYSE: ATVI - News), which seem to manage a perennially solid pipeline. Nevertheless, Take-Two will always be a player in this sector thanks to its enduring Grand Theft Auto series.

Fool contributor Steven Mallas owns none of the companies mentioned. The Fool has a disclosure policy.

sry for the adds and stuff, but it keeps adding them
also, y did u close mi breaking news topic, i just got a load of news, and i had to start posting it in a diffrent topic, whats w/ that????
I have a dream of a scene between the green hills
Clouds pull away and the sunlight's revealed
People don't talk about keeping it real
It's understood that they actually will
by: linkin park-Dedicated (1999 Demo)
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Team SuperCheats Posted at: 08:47 Sep29 2005 Post ID: 439131
Team SuperCheats
The Chief
Post Likes: 117
+
+
Hey nice one... Next time... Or even this time... Please quote the source that you got that article from.
Game Guides Galore - http://www.supercheats.com/guides/
willgame_4food Posted at: 19:28 Oct01 2005 Post ID: 444308
willgame_4food
+
+
i would have, but it will only go there if u have yahoo membership, i tryed that once on the other topic i made called breaking news on gta
laters
willgame_4food Posted at: 10:37 Oct08 2005 Post ID: 455778
willgame_4food
+
+
sry for double posting, but the articals would get joined, and again, i got this off of the news for mi yahoo account, anyway, cali has something to say about games, including gta
here it is:

California bars violent video game sales to minors By Jenny O'Mara
Fri Oct 7, 5:37 PM ET

SACRAMENTO, California (Reuters) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ignored strong lobbying from software makers and signed legislation on Friday that bans the sale of violent video games to children.

ADVERTISEMENT

Passed by the California legislature last month, the measure follows heated national debate after game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. pulled its best-selling game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" from retailers this summer because of hidden sex scenes.

"I am a parent myself and I think this is extremely important that we know what our kids watch or what kind of games that they play," Schwarzenegger told reporters.

"I am a big believer in those video games. I mean they're terrific, a lot of them are manufactured in California and they're doing a great job," he said at a signing ceremony.

"We just want to make sure it doesn't go into the wrong hands or children under the age of 10 start playing those things because it does have an impact on our children."

The star of many violent movies during his acting days, Republican Schwarzenegger had not previously indicated his position on the issue. Democratic Assemblyman Leland Yee, the bill's author, said he was surprised the governor signed his bill.

The measure bars the sale and rental to minors of games that show serious injury that is determined to be especially heinous, atrocious or cruel. Violators are subject to a $1,000 fine.

Several other states, including Illinois and Michigan, have similar laws, prompting legal fights with the $10 billion video game industry. Courts have ruled against bans in Washington state as well as Indianapolis and St. Louis County in Missouri.

The California law says exposing youths to video violence could result in psychological harm.

"Exposing minors to depictions of violence in video games, including sexual and heinous violence, makes those minors more likely to experience feelings of aggression, to experience a reduction of activity in the frontal lobes of the brain, and to exhibit violent antisocial or aggressive behavior," it said.
iknowalot Posted at: 15:59 Oct08 2005 Post ID: 456313
iknowalot
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Lol, what retards. It was already rated 'A'.
South Park, Charmed, Buffy The Vampire Slayer / Angel, Tru Calling, Family Guy, TrippingTheRift, FreeForAll, Futurama, Jackass, Lost, That 70's Show, Celebrity Deathmatch
willgame_4food Posted at: 16:19 Oct10 2005 Post ID: 461130
willgame_4food
+
+
heres an addon of the last story

Industry says plans to sue to stop Calif. video game law By Lisa Baertlein
1 hour, 8 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The video game industry on Monday vowed to challenge California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in court to fight a new law banning the sale of violent video games to children.

ADVERTISEMENT

The trade group Entertainment Software Association "intends to file a lawsuit to strike this law down and we are confident that we will prevail," President Douglas Lowenstein said in a statement on Monday.

Schwarzenegger signed the California measure into law last week, but it faces an uncertain fate. Federal courts have ruled against similar legislation in Washington state, the city of Indianapolis and St. Louis County in Missouri, finding the laws violated free speech guarantees in the U.S. Constitution.

"The certainly of a constitutional challenge makes this a hollow gesture," Jeff Brown, spokesman for Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq:ERTS - news), the world's biggest video game company, said of Schwarzenegger's move.

The legislation bars the sale and rental to minors of games that show such things as the killing, maiming or sexual assault of a character depicted as human, and which are determined to be especially heinous, atrocious or cruel. Violators are subject to a $1,000 fine.

Passed by the California legislature last month, and due to take effect on January 1, the new measure follows heated national debate after game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (Nasdaq:TTWO - news) pulled its blockbuster game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" from retail shelves this summer because of hidden sex scenes. A new version of the game, minus the disabled content that started the flap, is back on store shelves.

WAR ON GAME VIOLENCE

Schwarzenegger, a Republican, has starred in many violent movies, such as "The Terminator," "Conan the Barbarian," and "Collateral Damage." He said he signed the bill to keep the games out of the wrong hands.

Several other states, including Illinois and Michigan, have passed similar laws, prompting legal fights with the $10 billion U.S. video game industry. U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton is leading a similar crusade on the federal front.

The Entertainment Software Association has launched legal challenges in Illinois and Michigan and plans to file its lawsuit in California in the next week or two, a spokesman for the industry group said.

Electronic Arts' Brown said several courts have affirmed that games enjoy the same constitutional protections as movies, books and television.

"I expect they will come to the same conclusion in California," Brown said.
willgame_4food Posted at: 16:40 Oct11 2005 Post ID: 462984
willgame_4food
+
+
sry for doubble posting, dont delete this, i dont want the 2 mix up the 2 articals
anyway, here it is:

Industry groups to fight California video game law By Peter Cohen MacCentral
2 hours, 46 minutes ago

The Video Software Dealers Association (VSDA) has announced plans to collaborate with the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) to fight a recently passed California law that would fine retailers for selling violent video games to minors.

ADVERTISEMENT

The VSDA is a trade association for the home entertainment industry. Its members include retailers, distributors and other related businesses. The ESA is the public policy group for the video and computer game industry.

The ESA has overturned other state laws that would have prohibited the sale of violent or sexually explicit video game material to minors, successfully arguing that such efforts have infringed Constitutionally protected rights. The ESA is currently pursuing a case against Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich, who signed a similar law earlier this year.

The legislation ? known as Assembly Bill (A.B) 1179, was sponsored by Assemblymember Leland Yee of San Francisco and signed into law by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. It goes into effect on January 1, 2006, and creates a penalty of up to $1,000 for any retailer who?s caught selling games that depict extreme acts of violence to buyers under 18 years of age.

In a statement announcing the VSDA?s intent, VSDA president Bo Andersen called the legislation ?a clear violation of the First Amendment? and added that it ?provides no meaningful standards to know which materials are covered.?

While the law describes a three-part test for ?offensiveness? for the video games, it leaves it to juries to decide what ultimately constitutes a ?violent video game? on a case by case basis. With such an arbitrary standard in place, Andersen said ?no-one could ever know with certainty whether a particular game would be found to be a ?violent video game.??

?Instead of passing laws that are destined to be overturned by the courts, the state of California should be encouraging parents to use the existing video game ratings and content descriptors to make informed choices about whether to bring a particular video game into their home,? said Andersen.

Click here for all of today's news at MacCentral.
willgame_4food Posted at: 18:21 Oct18 2005 Post ID: 475378
willgame_4food
+
+
again, sry for double posting

Trade groups sue Schwarzenegger over crackdown on violent video games Tue Oct 18, 4:42 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - Two trade groups sued California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger challenging a law he passed banning the sale of violent video games to children under the age of 18.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Video Software Dealers Association (VSDA) and the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), which represent the 10-billion-dollar a year game industry, challenged the controversial video game restrictions in court in San Francisco.

But the former action movie hero, who is himself the star of several violent video games based on his "Terminator" character, returned the game makers fire, vowing to fight their suit and to defend the 10-day-old law.

"California's new law will ensure parental involvement in determining which video games are appropriate for their children," the governor said late Monday.

"I will do everything in my power to preserve this new law and I urge the Attorney General to mount a vigorous defense of California's ability to prevent the sale of these games to children," he added.

The governor's fiery salvo against the two groups came after they claimed in their suit that the law passed on October 7 violated the US Constitution's First Amendment right of free expression.

The groups allege the law "will have an immediate and vast chilling effect upon constitutionally protected speech."

In addition, it is "rife with unconstitutionally vague terms" and lacks clear standards that would enable dealers to know which video games are considered violent, the trade groups claimed.

The disputed law bans the sale or rental of violent video games to youngsters under 18. Only parents can buy or rent the games. Violations of the law, which takes effect on January 1, are punishable by a fine of 1,000 dollars.

The measure defines violent games as those that allow players "to virtually inflict serious injury on images of human beings" or human-like characters in a way that is "especially heinous, cruel or depraved in that it involves torture or serious physical abuse."

Groups Sue to Overturn Video Game Curbs By MAY WONG, AP Technology Writer
Tue Oct 18, 7:31 AM ET

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Two trade groups representing video game makers filed a lawsuit Monday seeking to overturn the recently passed California law banning the sale or rental of violent video games to minors.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Video Software Dealers Association and Entertainment Software Association contend the law is unconstitutional and violates First Amendment free speech rights, according to the suit filed in U.S. District Court in San Jose. The suit names Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who signed the bill earlier this month, state Attorney General Bill Lockyer and other local officials.

The law, which goes into effect Jan. 1, bans retailers from selling or renting violent video games to those 17 and under, imposes a $1,000 fine on violators and mandates stricter product labeling. It is similar to legislation that other states passed earlier this year after hidden sex scenes were discovered in a popular game, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas."

Public complaints also spurred a Federal Trade Commission investigation and a new rating for the "San Andreas" game from "M" for mature to "AO" for adults only.

Schwarzenegger defended the law, saying it helped parents determine which video games were appropriate for their children.

"I believe strongly that we must give parents the tools to help them protect their children," the governor said in a statement. "I will do everything in my power to preserve this new law and I urge the attorney general to mount a vigorous defense of California's ability to prevent the sale of these games to children."

The industry groups, which have similar court cases pending in Illinois and Michigan, equated the California law to "content-based censorship" in its latest lawsuit. "Video games are a form of artistic expression much like other forms of protected expression, such as movies, books and music," the lawsuit said.

Industry representatives say they are confident the California law will fail to survive the legal challenge as federal courts have struck down similar statutes in recent years.

"It is not up to any industry or the government to set standards for what kids can see or do; that is the role of parents," said Douglas Lowenstein, president of the Entertainment Software Association.

Groups sue California over minors video game ban Tue Oct 18, 8:16 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Two industry trade groups sued the state of California on Monday after the state passed a law barring the sale of violent video games to minors.

ADVERTISEMENT

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the former screen "Terminator" who is himself portrayed in several video games based on his Hollywood roles, vowed to fight the suit, which was filed in federal court in San Jose.

"I will do everything in my power to preserve this new law and I urge the attorney general to mount a vigorous defense of California's ability to prevent the sale of these games to children," Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

"California's new law will ensure parental involvement in determining which video games are appropriate for their children. I believe strongly that we must give parents the tools to help them protect their children."

The trade group Entertainment Software Association announced its intentions to fight in court immediately after Schwarzenegger signed the ban 10 days ago. Video Software Dealers Association joined in the suit.

"It is not up to any industry or the government to set standards for what kids can see or do; that is the role of parents," Douglas Lowenstein, the group's president said.

"Everyone involved with this misguided law has known from the start that it is an unconstitutional infringement on the First Amendment freedoms of those who create and sell video games."

Federal courts have ruled against violent video game legislation in Washington state, the city of Indianapolis and St. Louis County in Missouri, saying the moves violated constitutional free speech guarantees.

The California ban came in the wake of lively debate after game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. pulled its best-selling game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" from retailers this summer because of hidden sex scenes.

The state's measure bars the sale and rental to minors of games that show serious injury deemed especially heinous, atrocious or cruel. Violators are subject to a $1,000 fine.
craig_m Posted at: 17:26 Oct23 2005 Post ID: 484231
craig_m
Forum GuestMember
+
+
In future please try and keep it all in one post if you have new info to post edit your last post
iknowalot Posted at: 18:49 Oct23 2005 Post ID: 484365
iknowalot
Forum GuestMember
+
+
No, then people who look at this thread for updates wouldn't know if it was updated or not. The thread will just die* into the bottom of the page with people not knowing if it was edited.

I'm not all too sure what to do with this, I'll ask in the Staff Forum. For now, you can continue with what you've been doing in the past.
South Park, Charmed, Buffy The Vampire Slayer / Angel, Tru Calling, Family Guy, TrippingTheRift, FreeForAll, Futurama, Jackass, Lost, That 70's Show, Celebrity Deathmatch
Aeshma Posted at: 19:40 Oct23 2005 Post ID: 484465
Aeshma
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 8
+
+
willgame_4food, you won't get away with this just because you keep on saying "I'm sorry" all of the time...next time your post will be deleted without any mercy, so use edit next time, for now I will leave it.
craig_m Posted at: 19:42 Oct23 2005 Post ID: 484467
craig_m
Forum GuestMember
+
+
On 23-Oct-2005 Aeshma said:willgame_4food, you won't get away with this just because you keep on saying "I'm sorry" all of the time...next time your post will be deleted without any mercy, so use edit next time, for now I will leave it.
Thank you very much aeshma
craig_m Posted at: 19:42 Oct23 2005 Post ID: 484469
craig_m
Forum GuestMember
+
+
On 23-Oct-2005 iknowalot said:No, then people who look at this thread for updates wouldn't know if it was updated or not. The thread will just die* into the bottom of the page with people not knowing if it was edited.

I'm not all too sure what to do with this, I'll ask in the Staff Forum. For now, you can continue with what you've been doing in the past.
Maybe we could pin it
annabel Posted at: 00:34 Oct28 2005 Post ID: 492622
annabel
Forum GuestMember
+
+
You have pinned it.
Working from beyond the grave? No. I am afraid not, I am just randomly annoying you by changing my signature now and then. Update: TEH PWNAGE.

Redesigned copy of me coming October 15th! Count the days people.
willgame_4food Posted at: 18:49 Oct29 2005 Post ID: 496408
willgame_4food
+
+
k, well, heres something annoying, stupid florida gov(no offences to florida reidents) is following in california's footsteps, here they r

Florida bill aims to curb violent video game sales By Lisa Baertlein
Thu Oct 27, 4:24 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A Florida state senator has introduced a bill that would ban the sale or rental of violent video games to minors, an aide to the lawmaker said on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Introduced on October 25 by state Sen. Alex Diaz de la Portilla, a Republican from Miami, the bill is a near clone of legislation recently signed into law by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger -- Hollywood's "Terminator" -- who is portrayed in several video games based on his action film roles.

Bills aimed at restricting sales of violent games to minors are the latest salvo in a long campaign by detractors and some parent groups to limit access to games with adult content.

Critics cite research suggesting that violent games can increase aggressive behavior in young boys. Game makers and retailers counter that video games carry ratings similar to those found on films, and many store clerks ask for identification from young gamers to make sure they are not buying titles aimed at older audiences.

The battle over controversial video game content flared anew this summer when game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (Nasdaq:TTWO - news) pulled its blockbuster title "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" from store shelves following the discovery of hidden sex scenes in its code.

Trade groups representing the $10 billion U.S. video game industry have sued to strike down the new California law and are fighting similar battles in Michigan and Illinois.

Courts already have blocked such legislation in Washington State, the city of Indianapolis and St. Louis County in Missouri, finding that the laws violated free speech guarantees in the U.S. Constitution.

Video game industry groups already have Diaz de la Portilla's bill in their sights.

"The Senator's proposal is clearly unconstitutional," Gail Markels, senior vice president and general counsel of the Entertainment Software Association, said in a statement.

But lawmakers, who grab headlines for taking on the makers of violent games, are undaunted and U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton is leading a battle on the federal front.

BUZZ OVER VIOLENT GAMES

Take-Two's high-profile and best-selling "Grand Theft Auto" titles are a lightning rod for critics of violent games -- but they are not alone.

The upcoming title "25 to Life" has been dubbed a "cop killer" game by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), a Democrat from New York. Delayed until next year, it was developed by Avalanche Studios and is being published by Eidos (SEG.L).

"50 Cent: Bulletproof" -- inspired by the rapper and self-admitted former crack cocaine dealer 50 Cent -- has attracted stinging criticism for its depictions of the underworld drug scene. Set for a November debut, the game's developer is Genuine Games. Vivendi Universal Games (EAUG.PA) has signed on as its distributor.

Florida bill takes aim at violent video games By Lisa Baertlein
Thu Oct 27, 3:27 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A Florida state senator has introduced a bill that would ban the sale or rental of violent video games to minors, an aide to the lawmaker said on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Introduced on October 25 by state Sen. Alex Diaz de la Portilla, a Republican from Miami, the bill is a near clone of legislation recently signed into law by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger -- Hollywood's "Terminator" -- who is portrayed in several video games based on his action film roles.

Bills aimed at restricting sales of violent games to minors are the latest salvo in a long campaign by detractors and some parent groups to limit access to games with adult content. Critics of violent games often cite research suggesting that such games can increase aggressive behavior in young boys.

The battle over controversial video game content flared anew this summer when game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (Nasdaq:TTWO - news) pulled its blockbuster title "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" from store shelves following the discovery of hidden sex scenes in its code.

Trade groups representing the $10 billion U.S. video game industry have sued to strike down the new California law and are fighting similar battles in Michigan and Illinois.

Courts already have blocked such legislation in Washington State, the city of Indianapolis and St. Louis County in Missouri, finding that the laws violated free speech guarantees in the U.S. Constitution.

Video game industry groups already have Diaz de la Portilla's bill in their sights.

"The Senator's proposal is clearly unconstitutional," Gail Markels, senior vice president and general counsel of the Entertainment Software Association, said in a statement.

But lawmakers, who grab headlines for taking on the makers of violent games, are undaunted and U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton is leading a battle on the federal front.

BUZZ OVER VIOLENT GAMES

Take-Two's high-profile and best-selling "Grand Theft Auto" titles are a lightning rod for critics of violent games -- but they are not alone.

The upcoming title "25 to Life" has been dubbed a "cop killer" game by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), a Democrat from New York. Delayed until next year, it was developed by Avalanche Studios and is being published by Eidos (SEG.L).

"50 Cent: Bulletproof" -- inspired by the rapper and self-admitted former crack cocaine dealer 50 Cent -- has attracted stinging criticism for its depictions of the underworld drug scene. Set for a November debut, the game's developer is Genuine Games. Vivendi Universal Games (EAUG.PA) has signed on as its distributor.

ill updte how im told, k, and also, thnx for pinnin it! oh, and dont forget, im sry for links and i cant give the scource cause most of u cant veiw it anyway

k, im editin this, and again, links wont work, and sry for ads, oh, and this is a diff story all together

Take-Two warns on profits, shares fall By Lisa Baertlein
Mon Oct 31, 9:50 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. on Monday cut its forecasts for fiscal 2005 and 2006, citing the delay of a popular title for a hand held video game player and uncertainty surrounding the launch of new game consoles. Its shares fell more than 9 percent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Citing the postponed European release of "Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories" for Sony Corp.'s (6758.T) PlayStation Portable, Take-Two (Nasdaq:TTWO - news) now expects net income of 53 cents to 56 cents a share for its 2005 fiscal year ended on Monday on sales of $1.18 billion to $1.19 billion.

In September Take-Two cut its fiscal 2005 forecast to call for revenue of $1.22 billion to $1.27 billion and net income of 85 cents to 90 cents a share.

Analysts, on average, were expecting the company post fiscal 2005 net income of 88 cents a share on revenue $1.19 billion, according to Reuters Estimates.

The company also attributed the change in its current-year forecast to reduced catalog sales and softer-than-anticipated initial retail orders of new releases, which also had a negative impact on its distribution business.

"The guys who've got the proven titles are going to do well," said analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities, adding that Take-Two has recently introduced a number of new games. "Retailers sell what they know."

New York-based Take-Two also lowered its forecast for the first quarter of fiscal 2006, saying it would deliver "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" and launch the Japanese version of "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" later than planned, resulting in a change to its full-year estimates.

Take-Two's new estimate for the first quarter of fiscal 2006 -- which includes the holiday season -- is for net sales of $300 million to $350 million and net income of 4 cents to 10 cents per share.

The company had previously said it expected revenue of $350 million to $400 million and earnings of 14 cents to 20 cents a share.

Analysts' were expecting revenue of $386.4 million and net earnings of 16 cents a share for the fiscal first quarter ending January 2006.

For the fiscal year ending October 31, 2006 the company expects sales of $1.35 billion to $1.45 billion and net income per share of $1.15 to $1.45.

Its previous guidance for fiscal 2006 was for net sales of $1.4 billion to $1.5 billion and earnings of $1.25 to $1.55 a share.

Take-Two also cited a "continued cautious U.S. retail environment through the holiday season" and uncertainty in forecasting the pace of shipments and customer adoption of new game consoles.

Executives from Take-Two rival THQ Inc. (Nasdaq:THQI - news) said last week that October seemed no different from the two previous Octobers and that they again expect Christmas to come late -- with shoppers doing the bulk of their buying late in the season. Video game companies reap roughly half of their annual revenue during the holidays.

Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) is slated to be the first major hardware maker to release a next-generation console when its Xbox 360 hits North American stores on November 22.

Video game makers have seen sales decline as consumers hold

purchases until new consoles arrive.

Take-Two's Rockstar Games recently shipped its new street fighting game "The Warriors" -- based on classic cult film of the same name -- to rave reviews. Analysts expect it to be one of this year's best-selling games.

The studio, which is also behind the controversial but successful "Grand Theft Auto" game series, is now under fire for its upcoming title "Bully" -- which is set in a school where players must take on bullies and cruel teachers.

Shares of Take-Two fell to $18.70 in extended trade from their Nasdaq close of $20.65.

Take-Two shares tumble 15 pct to new low By Lisa Baertlein
1 hour, 44 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Shares of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. tumbled 15 percent to a new low on Tuesday after the video game publisher again lowered fiscal 2005 targets and also issued a warning for fiscal 2006.

ADVERTISEMENT

The stock closed at $17.53 on the Nasdaq market, its lowest price in at least two years.

"In a word: Ugh," American Technology Research analyst Paul-Jon McNealy said in a research note that kicked off with the headline: "Pass the Maalox; TTWO Misses Again..."

Take-Two (Nasdaq:TTWO - news) trimmed its fiscal 2005 revenue forecast $1.18 billion to $1.19 billion on Monday and cut its net profit call to 53 cents to 56 cents a share .

For its 2006 fiscal year which began on Tuesday, Take-Two guided to revenue of $1.35 billion to $1.45 billion and net sales of $1.15 to $1.45 a share. That came after the company trimmed revenue and slashed profit forecasts for the January quarter that covers the all-important holiday season.

New York-based Take-Two cited product delays, including the postponed European release of "Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories" for Sony Corp.'s (6758.T) PlayStation Portable, soft results from it catalog and distribution businesses, as well as lighter than expected initial retail orders of new releases.

"Take-Two has always been a 'trust us' story. We think that Take-Two has become a 'show me' story," Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter said in a client note that Monday's warning for the fiscal year ended October 31 was Take-Two's third since July.

Several analysts said Take-Two's 2006 outlook remains too aggressive based on deteriorating results in its catalog and distribution business.

Analysts said retailers are showing caution in their pre-holiday ordering, preferring to make bets on proven game titles and franchises.

"We believe the bulk of the issues are company-specific, as the market has digested smaller up-front buying by retailers," said Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co. analyst Shawn Milne.

Take-Two, known for its franchises like "Grand Theft Auto," has a lineup of new games heading into the holiday season. Among the titles is "The Warriors," a street fighting game based on the eponymous movie. That game is expected to be one of this year's best-sellers.

Analysts said companies like industry leader Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq:ERTS - news) are entering the holiday season with games such as "Madden NFL O6," based on EA's proven franchise.

"We continue to see no positive catalysts over the next six months," said Pachter, who downgraded the shares to "hold" from "buy" and lowered his price target from $33 to $20 a share.

"We are uncomfortable trusting that management can achieve guidance until they demonstrate that they can consistently meet or exceed investor expectations," he said, recommending that investors watch the company from the sidelines for the next couple months.

grrrrrrrr, micigans doing it toooo!!!!

US judge puts Michigan's video game law on hold By Lisa Baertlein
Wed Nov 9, 7:28 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A federal judge on Wednesday granted video game industry groups' request for a preliminary injunction preventing the state of Michigan from enforcing a new law aimed at banning sales of violent video games to minors.

ADVERTISEMENT

The ruling from the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan comes amid a fierce campaign by lawmakers and some parents' groups to limit access to games with adult content. California and Illinois have passed similar laws and a Florida lawmaker is trying to get like legislation passed.

"(Michigan) has been unable to demonstrate the perceived harm it seeks to protect against," Judge George Caram Steeh wrote in a ruling obtained by Reuters.

He added that the state had failed to show what harm could result from selling games to minors. The judge also said "obvious harm" could arise from "stifling free speech" if the law goes into effect as planned on December 1.

"Plaintiffs have demonstrated that the Act is unlikely to survive strict scrutiny, and that irreparable harm follows from the loss of First Amendment freedoms," Judge Steeh wrote.

The Entertainment Software Association, the Video Software Dealers Association and the Michigan Retailers Association took on the Michigan law and are fighting the same battles in California and Illinois.

Courts already have blocked similar legislation in Washington State, the city of Indianapolis and St. Louis County in Missouri, finding that the laws violated free speech guarantees in the U.S. Constitution.

Calls to Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm's press office were not immediately returned.

"We are gratified that Judge Steeh has issued this preliminary injunction and in so doing has suggested that the arguments and research relied on by Gov. Granholm and the legislature are weak and unpersuasive," Douglas Lowenstein, president of the ESA, said in a statement.

The furor over video game content flared anew this summer when game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (Nasdaq:TTWO - news) pulled its blockbuster title "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" from store shelves following the discovery of hidden sex scenes in its code.

In 2004, the U.S. video game industry reaped sales of $7.3 billion, rivaling U.S. box office.

Judge Issues Injunction on Mich. Game Law By BREE FOWLER, Associated Press Writer
Wed Nov 9,11:19 PM ET

DETROIT - A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction Wednesday stopping a Michigan law that bars retailers from selling or renting violent video games to minors from going into effect until a lawsuit filed by the gaming industry is resolved.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Entertainment Software Association, a trade group representing U.S. computer and video game publishers, filed the suit in September, charging that the law is unconstitutionally vague and limits First Amendment rights. Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed the law in September, and it was scheduled to take effect Dec. 1.

The lawsuit names Granholm, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox and Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy as defendants.

In his order, U.S. District Judge George Steeh said the defendants are not likely to win the case, and that the "loss of First Amendment freedoms, for even minimal periods of time, unquestionably constitutes irreparable injury."

A Granholm spokeswoman did not immediately return a call seeking comment Wednesday night.

Douglas Lowenstein, president of the Entertainment Software Association, applauded the judge's decision in a statement Wednesday, calling the state's arguments "weak and unpersuasive."

The gaming industry also has sued to block similar laws approved in California and Illinois. Federal courts have previously struck down video game restrictions approved by Washington state, Indianapolis and St. Louis County in Missouri, saying they encroached on the First Amendment.

The state laws were passed after hidden sex scenes were discovered in a popular game, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas." Public complaints also spurred a Federal Trade Commission investigation and a new rating for the "San Andreas" game from "M" for mature to "AO" for adults only.

Granholm also has signed bills aimed at keeping adult-rated games with sexually explicit material away from children, but the gaming industry isn't contesting those laws.

___

On the Net:

Entertainment Software Association: http://www.theesa.com

again, sry for links and i cant put the source cause most of u cant get to it
ice_cold_killa Posted at: 18:33 Nov24 2005 Post ID: 531941
ice_cold_killa
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I dont think this topic needs to be pinned anymore
willgame_4food Posted at: 10:16 Nov25 2005 Post ID: 532634
willgame_4food
+
+
k, but out of curiosity, y not, im still getting news all the time, i just dont have many chances to post it here cause im buisy
ice_cold_killa Posted at: 14:38 Nov25 2005 Post ID: 533260
ice_cold_killa
Forum GuestMember
+
+
You can keep posting it here, just that this topic isnt gonna be pinned. 3 pinned topics are enough
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close