Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Chavs: The non-educated delinquents and the bergeoning peasant underclass.

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 3

1 | 2 | Last     Next
ozzo Posted: 12:07 Jan14 2006 Post ID: 614595
ozzo
_________S
Post Likes: 17
+
In the summer of 2004 most people in the United Kingdom had not heard of the word 'Chav'. By the end of the year it was being used by just about everybody and even made it into the prestigious dictionaries. Chavs are identifiable by their attitude and clothes. Chavs want money and lots of it, but don't want to have to work for it.

Jodie Marsh and Jordan are obvious chav icons. Reality shows like Big Brother, and the Lottery are favourite TV programmes. Chavs can be found far and wide, across the country, but go by different names depending on the location. In Scotland, on the West Coast, you'll find Neds (some say this is short for 'non-educated delinquents', others say it is short for Edward, as in teddy-boy). On the East Coast of Scotland they are known as Schemies (as in 'housing scheme') Moving Southwards to England the range of names is staggering. In Liverpool they're called Scallies (as in loud, boisterous, disruptive or irresponsible people). Kev is quite common around London (probably because of the Herry Enfield inspired, idiotic teenage charecter Kevin). Then you have Janners (from Plymouth), Smicks, Spides, Moakes and Steeks (all from Belfast), plus Bazzas, Pikeys (Essex), Charvers (Newcastle(, Scuffheads, Stigs, Strangers, Yarcos, and Kappa Slappers (Kappa for girls who wear Kappa branded tracksuits, Slapper as in a promiscuous or crude female).

Although the general feeling is that the Chav name comes from the place of Chatham in Kent, it seems it has quite strong Gypsy connections. Chatham has had Gypsies living in it for generations. Interestingly, Chavi is the Romany word for child (and recorded as far back as the 1850's), whereas Chavo means boy. By the late 1800's, Chavi was used to refer to an adult male. Another Gypsy connection is the word Charver (Romany for prostitute). Pikey-also insulting- is more than likely to have come from the Kentish dialect term for Gypsy-a person who travels the roads.

By Rebecca.F.R.

(more articles on chavs coming soon)

annefranman52 Posted: 04:57 Jan15 2006 Post ID: 616031
annefranman52
Post Likes: 0
+
I am actually part chav! I wear tracksuit bottoms, nike, adidas etc. Bout aprt from that...
billie joe armstrong Posted: 07:17 Jan15 2006 Post ID: 616167
billie joe armstrong
Forum GuestMember
+
Im not,BTW i wear things like jeans,sleveless shirts and a hoody and most importantly i wear hair gel.
Im the son of rage and love,the jesus of suburbia!Join team solarbeam!If you ever want to talk about general things or if you have some cool avys this is my [email protected] team picachu!
annefranman52 Posted: 08:05 Jan15 2006 Post ID: 616265
annefranman52
+
I wear a mixture, one day it will be jeans, the next day tracky's.
billie joe armstrong Posted: 14:12 Jan15 2006 Post ID: 616767
billie joe armstrong
Forum GuestMember
+
^I wear jeans mostly.They look cool.
Im the son of rage and love,the jesus of suburbia!Join team solarbeam!If you ever want to talk about general things or if you have some cool avys this is my [email protected] team picachu!
yossy666 Posted: 16:19 Jan15 2006 Post ID: 616934
yossy666
+
...shouldnt this be in the general chat forum?
i wanna live like james dean, i wanna die a superstar.
---
yossy666 | Komodo | Aaden Foli | 02 Dissociative. | yossy666
ozzo Posted: 09:36 Jan16 2006 Post ID: 617860
ozzo
_________S
+
no, because it is an article. Supercheats times can mean anything, most importantly a newspaper. Where does it say ONLY on sc?

Xtreme gamer Posted: 11:48 Jan16 2006 Post ID: 618135
Xtreme gamer
#2Seconds
+
Never knew that. Great article OZ.

instagram: solidaritysterl
ozzo Posted: 13:04 Jan16 2006 Post ID: 618324
ozzo
_________S
+
lol, thanks..I have been reasearching them for a while now..expect the new article sometime this week.

mac cell skip Posted: 18:43 Jan16 2006 Post ID: 618908
mac cell skip
Forum GuestMember
+
Verry intresting Becky.
yossy666 Posted: 22:59 Jan16 2006 Post ID: 619331
yossy666
+
On 16-Jan-2006 ozzo said:no, because it is an article. Supercheats times can mean anything, most importantly a newspaper. Where does it say ONLY on sc?
ok then, i suppose ur right, BTW, great article, interesting...
i wanna live like james dean, i wanna die a superstar.
---
yossy666 | Komodo | Aaden Foli | 02 Dissociative. | yossy666
mac cell skip Posted: 06:43 Jan17 2006 Post ID: 619531
mac cell skip
Forum GuestMember
+
Its cool dude.
ozzo Posted: 10:39 Jan17 2006 Post ID: 619661
ozzo
_________S
+
^_^ thanks..but one question..did you actually read it?

mac cell skip Posted: 14:57 Jan17 2006 Post ID: 620251
mac cell skip
Forum GuestMember
+
Who me? Ya I did.
ozzo Posted: 10:57 Jan18 2006 Post ID: 621394
ozzo
_________S
+
lol, just checking..

BlackNinja Posted: 11:31 Jan18 2006 Post ID: 621438
BlackNinja
Forum GuestMember
+
more articles on chavs coming soon... when will you be posting them, Becky? the first one was good
ozzo Posted: 12:00 Jan18 2006 Post ID: 621479
ozzo
_________S
+
like I said soon :P first I have to have gogos concent..and thanks :D *hands him cookie*

ozzo Posted: 12:14 Jan18 2006 Post ID: 621506
ozzo
_________S
+
On 14-Jan-2006 ozzo said:In the summer of 2004 most people in the United Kingdom had not heard of the word 'Chav'. By the end of the year it was being used by just about everybody and even made it into the prestigious dictionaries. Chavs are identifiable by their attitude and clothes. Chavs want money and lots of it, but don't want to have to work for it.

Jodie Marsh and Jordan are obvious chav icons. Reality shows like Big Brother, and the Lottery are favourite TV programmes. Chavs can be found far and wide, across the country, but go by different names depending on the location. In Scotland, on the West Coast, you'll find Neds (some say this is short for 'non-educated delinquents', others say it is short for Edward, as in teddy-boy). On the East Coast of Scotland they are known as Schemies (as in 'housing scheme') Moving Southwards to England the range of names is staggering. In Liverpool they're called Scallies (as in loud, boisterous, disruptive or irresponsible people). Kev is quite common around London (probably because of the Herry Enfield inspired, idiotic teenage charecter Kevin). Then you have Janners (from Plymouth), Smicks, Spides, Moakes and Steeks (all from Belfast), plus Bazzas, Pikeys (Essex), Charvers (Newcastle(, Scuffheads, Stigs, Strangers, Yarcos, and Kappa Slappers (Kappa for girls who wear Kappa branded tracksuits, Slapper as in a promiscuous or crude female).

Although the general feeling is that the Chav name comes from the place of Chatham in Kent, it seems it has quite strong Gypsy connections. Chatham has had Gypsies living in it for generations. Interestingly, Chavi is the Romany word for child (and recorded as far back as the 1850's), whereas Chavo means boy. By the late 1800's, Chavi was used to refer to an adult male. Another Gypsy connection is the word Charver (Romany for prostitute). Pikey-also insulting- is more than likely to have come from the Kentish dialect term for Gypsy-a person who travels the roads.

By Rebecca.F.R.

(more articles on chavs coming soon)
Article 2: Chav spotting
Chav Female/ Chavette.

According to the Daily Mail, the females of the species pull their shoddily dyed heir back in that ultra-tight bun known as 'council-house facelift', wear skirts that would be better described as wide belts and tops that expose too much. It is true that stilettos are the favoursed alternative footwear to trainers. Mark One and New Look outfits are always, and most definatly, in.

Hir trends tend to be bottle-blonde and scraped back into a ponytail, with lots of mousse and/ or hairspray, scrunchies, ect.

Chave Male/ Chavo

He wears an England shirst at least three times a week (unless, of course, he's a Ned!), spanking white trainers, trackie bottoms, and a hard, shifty expression. Attitude ia everything, as is the latest cap (the cap logo changes on regular basis).

A shaved head is good. Otherwise, hair stencilling is equally popular-with free styles as well as football team logos and favourite brands like Nike all the rage. Other favourites include slick partings, fringe flicks, curtains, and loads of hair gel.

sorted!

By Rebecca.F.R

annefranman52 Posted: 13:30 Jan18 2006 Post ID: 621660
annefranman52
+
Sounds just like me! lol.
ozzo Posted: 11:21 Jan19 2006 Post ID: 623186
ozzo
_________S
+